Pegula Beats No. 1 Sabalenka at WTA Finals, Clinches Spot in Semis 

USA's Jessica Pegula reacts after a point against China's Yuan Yue during their women's singles final match at the Korea Open tennis championships in Seoul on October 15, 2023. (AFP)
USA's Jessica Pegula reacts after a point against China's Yuan Yue during their women's singles final match at the Korea Open tennis championships in Seoul on October 15, 2023. (AFP)
TT

Pegula Beats No. 1 Sabalenka at WTA Finals, Clinches Spot in Semis 

USA's Jessica Pegula reacts after a point against China's Yuan Yue during their women's singles final match at the Korea Open tennis championships in Seoul on October 15, 2023. (AFP)
USA's Jessica Pegula reacts after a point against China's Yuan Yue during their women's singles final match at the Korea Open tennis championships in Seoul on October 15, 2023. (AFP)

As match point after match point came and went — there were six in all she didn't convert — Jessica Pegula made sure she stayed calm and didn't, as she put it, "freak out" against No. 1-ranked Aryna Sabalenka at the WTA Finals on Tuesday.

When her seventh chance to end things arrived, Pegula finally was able to complete a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Sabalenka in round-robin action at the season-ending championship for the top eight players in women's tennis.

"We all, as tennis players, have experienced that to some extent — on both sides. So, I mean, I try to use my match experience as best I can," said Pegula, a 29-year-old American who is now guaranteed to finish atop her group and reach the semifinals in Cancun. "Every match, you’re always going to feel different. But I think the more you put yourself in those situations, the better you feel when they come up again. It doesn’t feel like you have to panic as much."

In Tuesday's other singles match, 2022 Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina beat Maria Sakkari 6-0, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (2). That eliminated Sakkari from semifinal contention and means Sabalenka will face Rybakina on Thursday for their group's second berth in the final four; that's a rematch of the Australian Open title match in January, won by Sabalenka.

Pegula has won both matches and all four sets she's played so far at these WTA Finals, a year after going 0-3 at the competition.

She had lost four times in a row to Sabalenka, who was the runner-up to Coco Gauff at the US Open in September.

On Tuesday, on a temporary hard court that has drawn criticism from Sabalenka and others, Pegula dominated for stretches. That included a four-game run in the opening set, and then a 4-0 start to the second while grabbing 16 of 19 points.

The big-hitting Sabalenka — who lost just one game on Sunday against Sakkari — finished with more than twice as many unforced errors as Pegula, including a 17-8 margin in the first set.

"I gave her too much," Sabalenka said.

The toughest portion for Pegula was at the end.

Serving for the match at 5-2, she got to 40-15 to earn a pair of match points. That's when Pegula double-faulted for the first time all evening, and followed immediately with another. Soon enough, Sabalenka had broken her.

In the next game, Pegula got to love-40 — three more match points. And Sabalenka saved each of those, the first two with backhand winners, the next with a forehand winner. A sixth match disappeared when Pegula netted a forehand.

Soon enough, though, Sabalenka was faltering, double-faulting, putting a forehand into the net to offer up a seventh chance for Pegula to end the match, then framing a backhand to wrap it up.

"A really solid match — up until the couple of double-faults at the end. I mean, I felt like I was in control and playing smart and doing everything really well," Pegula said. "Sometimes you need to get through those moments to really test yourself. And so I’m glad I was able to overcome that challenge."



Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
TT

Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)

Since Hansi Flick arrived in Barcelona in the summer of 2024 things have largely gone better than even he might have hoped, at least until the past week.

Revitalizing the Catalan giants and inspiring them to a domestic treble last season, as well as steering them to the final four of the Champions League for the first time in six years was an excellent accomplishment.

The current campaign has been a bumpier ride, in part due to injury problems, but Barca were still going strong until two consecutive defeats sapped morale as the business end of the season approaches.

Barca host Levante on Sunday at Camp Nou in La Liga as they aim to get back on track and potentially reclaim top spot from rivals Real Madrid, who visit Osasuna on Saturday.

Los Blancos moved two points ahead of Barca last weekend and stayed there as Flick's side crumbled in a 2-1 defeat at neighbors Girona on Monday.

That was hot on the heels of a 4-0 humiliation by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg, arguably Barca's worst performance since Flick's arrival.

Barca protested officiating mistakes in both games, and although the refereeing technical committee later admitted some fault, it does not absolve the Blaugrana of two worrying displays.

"We are not in a good mood, not in a good moment," admitted Flick.

"I gave the team two days off, because I think it's important that they reset."

The coach said his side, who hope to have playmaker Pedri Gonzalez back in action against Levante after injury, may be tired but also needed to buck up their ideas.

"(Mistakes) could be something to do with if they are tired, not fresh enough... but at the end we have to have the hunger to win the games," said Flick.

"When they come back I want another mentality, another level, they (must) train and play at."

Since Flick arrived Barca have played an ultra-attacking style with a high defensive line, leading to a lot of high-scoring games.

However, with the injuries they have had this season, perhaps partly due to wear-and-tear due to Flick's demands over pressing, they are creating less and finishing more inefficiently.

Both central strikers, Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres, are out of form in 2026.

The defense, meanwhile, is as porous as ever and with Pedri missing eight of the last 14 league games, they have struggled for control in midfield.

Flick's recent comments about not adjusting his approach regardless of the opponent Barca face are cause for concern.

"I don't take care if (the opponents) play five at the back or if they have a fast striker. We have the quality and this is what I want to see," said Flick last week, although recent results suggest perhaps he should look to tweak things more reactively.

Against Atletico the pace of wingers Ademola Lookman and Giuliano Simeone helped rip Barca's defense to shreds.

Although Barca are firm favorites against Levante, 19th, the trio of games which follow, leading into the Champions League last 16, are key to stopping the season from spiraling away from them.

They next host high-flying Villarreal, before the Copa semi second leg against Atletico and a tricky visit to the San Mames to play Athletic Bilbao.


Messi Kicks Off MLS Season in Key World Cup Year

Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File
Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File
TT

Messi Kicks Off MLS Season in Key World Cup Year

Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File
Argentine forward Lionel Messi won the MLS Cup for Inter Miami, co-owned by David Beckham. CHANDAN KHANNA / AFP/File

Lionel Messi kicks off a critical season for Major League Soccer this weekend as the rapidly growing US domestic league seeks to cash in on a huge spike in interest from the upcoming World Cup.

Messi -- MLS's undisputed flagship star -- will lace up his boots for a fourth year with Inter Miami, who take on South Korean ace Son Heung-min's Los Angeles FC in Saturday's opener at the 70,000-capacity Memorial Coliseum.

It is a suitably splashy start for a season that will be split in two by the 2026 World Cup, which takes place across the United States, Canada and Mexico this summer.

World Cup host countries typically see boosts in attendance and interest for their domestic leagues, and MLS bosses are determined to keep US eyeballs on the planet's biggest sport long after national teams have returned home.

"This is a massive year for Major League Soccer," said league commissioner Don Garber, describing the season as "a seminal moment for our sport."

The MLS season will this year have a seven-week interruption for the World Cup in June and July.

Five MLS stadiums will host World Cup matches, while many more will be used as training facilities and fan zones.

An increased number of MLS players are expected to play in the World Cup, including Son -- and potentially Messi, though the Argentina great has not yet confirmed he will participate in a record sixth World Cup.

The league plans to use the season's bifurcation to its advantage in order to draw in new fans.

A rumored $15-30 million marketing spend throughout the international tournament will encourage viewers to embrace their local teams, and elevate the US domestic league's increasingly star-studded profile.

The MLS season resumes for its second half in the rest days between the World Cup semi-finals and final. An All-Star Game will quickly follow.

"MLS will be at the center of the soccer universe during the world's largest sporting event, and that creates an extraordinary opportunity for our league, our clubs, and our players," said Garber.

New stars

The decision to start the new MLS season with a game featuring the league's two biggest global stars, at a giant former Olympic stadium in the heart of Los Angeles, is no accident.

Garber is predicting "the largest opening weekend crowd in league history."

While MLS has been heavily dependent on eight-time Ballon d'Or-winner Messi's allure in recent years, the arrival of Son midway through 2025 has been transformative.

Signed by Los Angeles FC for $26.5 million -- reportedly the largest transfer in MLS history -- the 33-year-old's arrival has brought with it the support of thousands of South Koreans living in the United States.

Other marquee names to join MLS sides this year include Minnesota United's James Rodriguez, who penned an extendable six-month contract in a bid to find form before Colombia's World Cup campaign, after a difficult few domestic seasons.

Argentina-born Mexico striker German Berterame has joined Messi at reigning MLS champions Inter Miami, who are co-owned by David Beckham.

And Timo Werner, joining San Jose Earthquakes, becomes the latest German star to ply his trade in a league that already features Thomas Muller at the Vancouver Whitecaps and Marco Reus for Los Angeles Galaxy.

'Best leagues'

MLS is planning another major change that it hopes will entice even more big names.

Beginning July 2027, MLS will change from its current spring-to-fall schedule, to a summer-through-spring rota.

The switch will align MLS with the big European leagues like England's Premier League and Spain's La Liga.

The hope is this will allow US clubs to buy and sell global talent during simultaneous transfer windows, particularly during the summer break.

It would also avoid future clashes with international fixtures and major tournaments.

Garber said the move "reflects exactly where we see MLS going, not just aligning with the best leagues in the world but competing with them."

Critics say it is a gamble, as MLS will soon be directly competing for viewers with the similarly scheduled NFL, NBA and NHL leagues.


Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
TT

Perfect Start for Pereira as Forest Enjoy Record Win at Fenerbahce

Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)
Nottingham Forest's Portuguese head coach Vitor Pereira (CR) gestures from the techincal area during the UEFA Europa League - knockout round play-off first leg - football match between Fenerbahce SK and Nottingham Forest FC at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul on February 19, 2026. (Photo by Yasin AKGUL / AFP)

Nottingham Forest's new head ‌coach Vitor Pereira said he had encouraged his players to express themselves at Fenerbahce on Thursday and they responded in style with a 3-0 victory that marked their biggest away win in European competition.

The comfortable win in the first leg of their Europa League knockout round playoff tie in Turkey was the perfect start for Pereira, who took the ‌helm last ‌weekend following the departure of ‌Sean ⁠Dyche.

Goals from Murillo, ⁠Igor Jesus and Morgan Gibbs-White secured the win but the scoreline could have been even more emphatic.

"We had chance to score two more goals. It was a very good result," Portuguese Pereira told TNT Sports, according to Reuters. "It is only ⁠halftime, we need to be consistent, ‌the schedule is ‌tight and difficult."

Pereira is Forest's fourth managerial appointment this ‌season after Nuno Espirito Santo, Ange Postecoglou ‌and Dyche, and the 57-year-old arrives with the side just three points above the Premier League relegation zone.

"Everyone must be ready to help the ‌team. This is what I ask them," said Pereira. "I realized before I ⁠came that ⁠the players have a lot of quality. They need results but they need to enjoy the game.

"If they enjoy the way they are playing they can have a high level. They need organization and confidence. I asked them to express themselves on the pitch. They did it."

Forest host Liverpool in the league on Sunday before Fenerbahce arrive for the second leg of their Europa League tie on February 26.