Mane’s Senegal Defend Title as Ivory Coast Hosts Cup of Nations

Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)
Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)
TT

Mane’s Senegal Defend Title as Ivory Coast Hosts Cup of Nations

Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)
Senegal's #10 Sadio Mane runs with the ball during the friendly international football match between Senegal and Algeria at the Abdoulaye Wade Stadium in Diamniadio on September 12, 2023. (AFP)

The Africa Cup of Nations kicks off on Saturday in Ivory Coast with the host nation and Mohamed Salah's Egypt among the leading contenders to succeed the Senegal of Sadio Mane as continental champions.

The 24-team tournament, which concludes with the final on February 11, is the first in the West African country in four decades, since just eight nations featured in the 1984 edition won by Roger Milla's Cameroon.

Senegal are defending the title they won in Cameroon in 2022, but a strong field also features Morocco and a Nigeria side spearheaded by African footballer of the year Victor Osimhen.

The tournament opens with the Group A meeting of the hosts and Guinea-Bissau at the Alassane Ouattara Stadium at Ebimpe, on the outskirts of the economic capital Abidjan.

The 60,000-seat stadium was built for a tournament initially supposed to be played in June and July last year to avoid a clash with the middle of the season in Europe, where so many top African players are based.

However, fears over staging it during the rainy season led to it being pushed back to its more traditional January and February slot.

Matches will be staged in six stadiums, with two venues in Abidjan, including at Ebimpe, which will host the final.

Games will also be played in the capital Yamoussoukro and neighboring Bouake, as well as in San Pedro on the coast and in Korhogo, in the north near the frontiers with Mali and Burkina Faso.

It is the first AFCON in West Africa since Ghana in 2008, and $1.5 billion has been invested by the Ivorian government.

"Let's all mobilize to make this AFCON a great celebration of youth, Ivorian hospitality and African brotherhood," said President Ouattara in his New Year's speech.

Authorities will be hoping to avoid anything like the event that overshadowed the last AFCON in Cameroon, where eight people were killed in a crush and stampede outside Yaounde's Olembe Stadium.

Locals are also hoping that their team, the Elephants, can go all the way and claim a third title.

Salah leads Egypt

The most recognizable face in their squad is Borussia Dortmund striker Sebastien Haller, who appears regularly on billboards lining Abidjan's traffic-choked streets.

As they aim to retain their crown despite stiff competition, Senegal will again lean heavily on Mane, the former Liverpool forward now playing in Saudi Arabia for Al Nassr.

"I cannot recall a stronger field. All the giants are going to be in Ivory Coast and all of them will be plotting to dethrone us," Mane, now 31, said recently.

Senegal are in Group C with Cameroon, Gambia and the Guinea of Serhou Guirassy, prolific in the German Bundesliga with Stuttgart and reportedly fine after an injury scare this week.

Egypt boast the biggest star of all in Salah as they target a record-extending eighth title to banish the memory of defeats in the 2017 and 2022 finals.

That is what Egyptians are dreaming of, although fans of his club, Liverpool, will hope he returns early as they chase the English Premier League title.

Egypt should have few serious problems getting out of a group also featuring Ghana, Cape Verde and Mozambique.

Can Morocco live up to billing?

Morocco are hoping to live up to their billing after becoming the first African nation ever to reach the semi-finals at a World Cup, just over a year ago in Qatar.

"I want to at least get to the semi-finals," coach Walid Regragui told local television channel Arryadia, as Morocco aim to win a second AFCON and first since 1976.

They are in Group F with DR Congo, Zambia and a Tanzania side who have never won a game at the tournament.

Morocco's biggest star is Achraf Hakimi, the Paris Saint-Germain right-back who was runner-up to Osimhen for the 2023 African footballer of the year.

The presence of Napoli striker Osimhen gives Nigerians hope their team can go far but they have been dealt a blow with the loss of Bayer Leverkusen forward Victor Boniface to injury.

The Super Eagles will play the hosts as well as Equatorial Guinea and Guinea-Bissau in Group A.

Winners in 2019, Algeria are in Group D with Burkina Faso, Mauritania and Angola.

South Africa are back after missing the last edition, and their team leans heavily on the country's leading club side, Mamelodi Sundowns.

They meet Tunisia, Mali and Namibia in Group E.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.