French Soccer Federation Limits Support for Players’ Ramadan Observance, Critics See Discrimination

The match is paused so Muslim players can break their fast due to Ramadan during the English Premier League soccer match between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur at the Goodison Park stadium in Liverpool, England, on April 3, 2023. (AP)
The match is paused so Muslim players can break their fast due to Ramadan during the English Premier League soccer match between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur at the Goodison Park stadium in Liverpool, England, on April 3, 2023. (AP)
TT

French Soccer Federation Limits Support for Players’ Ramadan Observance, Critics See Discrimination

The match is paused so Muslim players can break their fast due to Ramadan during the English Premier League soccer match between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur at the Goodison Park stadium in Liverpool, England, on April 3, 2023. (AP)
The match is paused so Muslim players can break their fast due to Ramadan during the English Premier League soccer match between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur at the Goodison Park stadium in Liverpool, England, on April 3, 2023. (AP)

For Muslim soccer players in deeply secular France, observing Ramadan is a tall order, and this is not about to change.

Wielding the principle of religious neutrality enshrined in the French constitution, the country’s soccer federation does not make things easy for international players who want to refrain from drinking or eating from dawn to sunset during the Islamic holy month.

Ahead of training camps which took place in March, the federation made clear it would not change the schedule for meals and practices to accommodate players who want to fully observe the religious ritual.

Some left-wing politicians, coaches and former players were outraged; the federation denied accusations of religious discrimination.

The secular outlook in France also prevents league referees from authorizing pauses in games to allow Muslim players to break their fast with a quick bite and drink on the sidelines during evening matches. Such breaks have been authorized in nearby countries such as Germany, England and the Netherlands.

French secularism, while affirming religious freedom, provides that the state does not favor any religion and remains neutral. The French soccer federation (FFF) says part of its mission is to defend the country’s strict adherence to secularism in public life.

Critics say this leads to anti-Muslim rules.

“You want to forbid them to be Muslim. Whether we like it or not, it’s part of their identity that we’re trying to erase,” said Demba Ba, the former Senegal international player who was born in France and is Muslim.

He says he fasted for Ramadan throughout his professional career, even on match days. He has described particularly hard days when he played in the English Premier League with Newcastle, with matches sometimes scheduled at 1 p.m. in the summer, when the sun sets late in this part of England.

While Catholicism remains the leading religion, Islam is France’s second-largest faith, encompassing an estimated 10% of the population.

FRANCE’S LACK OF RAMADAN ACCOMMODATIONS GOES AGAINST TREND In Muslim countries, clubs shift their training schedule to make it easier for players who fast during Ramadan. In recent years, Western countries have followed suit and France’s approach seems increasingly isolated.

In the English Premier League, captains of clubs with Muslim players can arrange with match officials to create a pause at sundown to allow players to break their fast. Soccer officials in Australia have adopted the same approach, introducing breaks for players observing Ramadan for the first time this season. In the US, Major League Soccer introduced drink breaks last year.

In addition, some Premier League teams have signed a Muslim athletes’ charter, pledging to create a more inclusive environment.

In France, meanwhile, Nantes coach Antoine Kombouare said last year he helped his players adapt their schedule to Ramadan’s requirements, but fasting on game day was not an option.

Kombouare would let the players fast during the week, but on match day he would not select those who do.

“I respect that a player fasts. But on the other hand, he has to respect the rules I’ve put in place, and that goes for everyone,” Kombouare said.

Philippe Diallo, the FFF president, denies accusations the federation is effectively banning Ramadan observance due to its stringent rules.

“No one at the federation, starting with me, has forbidden anyone to fast,” Diallo told France Info media. “I can’t accept people saying that the FFF discriminates on religious grounds.”

The FFF says fasting players are allowed to skip meals and offered medical advice. It also contends that Muslim players who choose to postpone their fasting days will have a valid excuse in the eyes of religious authorities.

The controversy — spotlighted last year when France Under-23 players reportedly threatened to go on strike for the right to fast — grew after Habib Beye, the coach of Paris-based Red Star, criticized the federation’s framework related to religious fasting.

“I truly respect my players’ faith of any kind,” Beye said last week. “I also have players practicing Lent. One only sees the downsides, but I only see the benefits. It creates cohesion, discussions, a solidarity that people may not see on a football pitch.”

Beye, who says he’s the son of a Muslim and a Catholic, believes the strict rules are imposed only on Muslim players.

“I call it religious discrimination,” he said.

Water and dates are the traditional Muslim way to break the fast during Ramadan. Last year, Paris Saint-Germain fans mocked the federation rules by deploying during a match a banner that read: “A date, a glass of water: the FFF’s nightmare.”

SOCCER LIMITS REFUEL SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE DEBATE The polemics are refueling the lingering debate on secularism — still volatile more than a century after the 1905 law on separation of church and state that established it as a principle of the French Republic. The country’s constitution states, “France is an indivisible, secular, democratic and social Republic. It ensures the equality of all citizens before the law, without distinction of origin, race or religion.”

Razika Adnani, a secular philosopher who studies how people relate to Islam, welcomed the FFF decision to maintain its ban on breaking the fast during matches. By refusing such pauses, she said the federation protects Muslims who do not fast — but might pretend they fast, and refrain from drinking water, to avoid reprisals from Muslim fans.

“Originally, breaking the fast was a private matter,” she wrote in an op-ed piece for the newspaper Le Figaro. “It was done at home with the family or in restaurants. Interrupting matches to allow players to break their Ramadan fast, which is more than just a ’refreshing break,’ is tantamount to establishing this Ramadan atmosphere on the soccer pitch and imposing it on all players, all supporters, all viewers, in a form of fait accompli.”

There were no Ramadan-linked incidents reported during the latest gathering of senior French international players. But there were reports in French media last week that Lyon midfielder Mahamadou Diawara declined to join the France Under-19s training camp when he found out about the rules relating to religious fasting. Asked for comments, Lyon and the French federation did not give a reason for Diawara’s refusal to attend.

To guarantee a neutral approach, Diallo said there can’t be any changes to timetables and common practices at training camps purely on religious grounds.

“I respect everyone’s convictions,” he said. “When players are selected for the French national team, I don’t ask them about their religion.”

The FFF insists the rules are not anti-Islam and that players who might want to observe Lent-related fasting, for instance, would also have to observe the federation’s framework and would not be accommodated.

The polemics are reminiscent of the heated debate that emerged when France’s highest administrative court ruled last year that the French soccer federation was entitled to ban headscarves in competitions, even though the measure could limit freedom of expression.

The Council of State issued its ruling after a group of headscarf-wearing soccer players called “Les Hijabeuses” — the word hijab refers to the headscarf — campaigned against the ban and launched legal action.



IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
TT

IOC Boss Coventry Hails Milano Cortina Games a Success

 20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)
20 February 2026, Italy, Milan: President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Kirsty Coventry holds a press conference. (dpa)

The Milano Cortina Olympics exceeded expectations despite a shaky build-up, IOC President Kirsty Coventry said on Friday, hailing the first spread-out Winter Games a success.

"These Games are truly ... successful in a new way of doing things, in a sustainable way of doing things, in a way that I think many people thought maybe we couldn't do, or couldn't be done well, and it's been done extremely well, and it's surpassed everyone's expectations," Coventry told a press conference.

It was the International Olympic Committee chief's clearest endorsement yet of a format that split events across several Alpine clusters rather than concentrating them in one host city.

Her assessment came after two weeks in which organizers sought to prove that a geographically dispersed Games could still deliver a consistent athlete experience.

The smooth delivery ‌comes after years ‌of logistical and political challenges, including construction delays at Milan’s Santagiulia Arena ‌and ⁠controversy over building ⁠a new sliding center in Cortina against IOC advice.

Organizers have also faced isolated disruptions during the Games, such as suspected sabotage on rail lines and protests in Milan over housing and environmental issues.

Transport concerns across the dispersed venues have been mitigated by limited cross-regional travel among spectators, though some competitors had to walk to the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium in heavy snowfall that stopped traffic.

Central to the success of the Games, Coventry argued, was the effort to standardize conditions across multiple athlete villages despite the distances separating venues from Cortina d’Ampezzo to ⁠Livigno and Bormio.

Italian athletes’ performances also helped ticket sales, which amounted to ‌about 1.4 million.

"And the athletes are extremely happy. And they're happy ‌because the experiences that the MiCo (Milano Cortina) team and my team delivered to them have been the same," she ‌said.

Mixed relay silver medalist Tommaso Giacomel did, however, lament the fact there was no Olympic village near ‌the Antholz-Anterselva Biathlon Arena and that competitors were dotted around different hotels near the venue instead of in one place.

TWO OPENING CEREMONIES

Two opening ceremonies were held - the main one at Milan’s San Siro stadium and a more low-key parade on Cortina d’Ampezzo's Corso Italia, where athletes and spectators were within touching distance.

Feedback from competitors suggested the more intimate ‌settings had in some cases enhanced the Olympic atmosphere, Coventry said, taking the Cortina opening ceremony as an example.

The Zimbabwean, presiding over her first Games ⁠as IOC chief after elections in ⁠2025, framed Milano Cortina as proof of concept for future hosts grappling with rising costs and climate constraints, while acknowledging adjustments would follow.

"It allows us to really look at ourselves and look at the things that we have in place and how we're then going to make certain adjustments for the future," she said.

Beyond logistics, Coventry pointed to the broader impact of the Games, highlighting gender balance - with women making up 47% of competitors - and global engagement as marks of progress.

"But it's been an incredible experience and we're all very proud to have gender equity playing a big role in the delivery of the Games," she said, describing a "tremendous Games" in which athletes have "come together and shared in their passion".

With the closing ceremony in Verona approaching, Coventry said the focus would soon shift to a formal evaluation process, but insisted the headline conclusion was already clear.

"So we look forward to doing that and to learning from all the incredible experiences that I think all of the stakeholders have had across these Games, across these past two weeks," she said.


‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
TT

‘A Huge Mistake.’ Kompany Hits Out at Mourinho for Vinícius Júnior Comments

14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)
14 February 2026, Bremen: Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany gestures during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Werder Bremen and Bayern Munich at Weserstation. (dpa)

Bayern Munich coach Vincent Kompany has criticized José Mourinho for attacking the character of Vinícius Júnior after the Real Madrid star accused an opponent of racially insulting him during a Champions League match.

Benfica coach Mourinho suggested that Brazil forward Vinícius had incited Benfica's players with his celebrations after scoring the only goal in Tuesday's playoff match.

Vinícius accused Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni of calling him "monkey" during a confrontation after his goal.

Mourinho also questioned why Vinícius, who is Black and has been subjected to repeated racist insults in Spain, was so frequently targeted.

"There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium," Mourinho said. "The stadium where Vinícius played something happened. Always."

Speaking on Friday, Kompany condemned Mourinho's comments.

"So after the game you have the leader of an organization, José Mourinho, who attacks the character of Vinícius Júnior by bringing in the type of celebration to discredit what Vinícius is doing in this moment," Kompany said. "And for me in terms of leadership, it’s a huge mistake and it’s something that we should not accept."

Mourinho’s celebrations

UEFA appointed a special investigator on Wednesday to gather evidence about what happened in Lisbon in Madrid’s 1-0 win in the first leg of the Champions League playoffs. Madrid said it had sent "all available evidence" of the alleged incident to European soccer's governing body.

Referring to Vinícius' celebrations after curling a shot into the top corner, Mourinho said he should "celebrate in a respectful way."

Kompany pointed out Mourinho's own history of exuberant celebrations — such as when he ran down the sideline to cheer when his Porto team beat Manchester United in the Champions League.

Kompany said Mourinho's former players "love him" and added "I know he’s a good person."

"I don’t need to judge him as a person, but I know what I’ve heard. I understand maybe what he’s done, but he’s made a mistake and it’s something that hopefully in the future won’t happen like this again," he said.

Prestianni denied racially insulting Vinícius. Benfica said the Argentine player was the victim of a "defamation campaign."

‘Right thing to do’

Kompany said Vinícius' reaction "cannot be faked."

"You can see it — his reaction is an emotional reaction. I don’t see any benefit for him to go to the referee and put all this misery on his shoulders," he said. "There is absolutely no reason for Vini Junior to go and do this.

"I think in his mind he’s doing it more because it’s the right thing to do in that moment."

Kompany added: "You have a player who’s complaining. You have a player who says he didn’t do it. And I think unless the player himself comes forward, it’s difficult. It’s a difficult case."


FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.