No ifs, No buts, this Real Madrid Rank alongside Di Stéfano’s as Greatest Team Ever

Photo by EPA
TT

No ifs, No buts, this Real Madrid Rank alongside Di Stéfano’s as Greatest Team Ever

Photo by EPA

Dani Carvajal laid the first stone and applied the final brush stroke. In May 2004, when he was a 12-year-old kid with floppy blond hair and a lifetime before him, he placed Real Madrid’s white shirt into the foundations of their training ground, a new home for an institution that, the legend carved into that granite slab said, “respects its past, learns from its present and believes in its future”. On the first day of June 2024, now a 32-year-old man with a greying beard and a history behind him, he was in Madrid colours at Wembley, leaping to head in the goal that helped secure their greatest work of all.

Twenty years had passed almost to the day, and it was done. How much longer before anyone witnesses this again, if they do? That day Carvajal, an infantil in the academy, stood alongside a 77-year-old Alfredo Di Stéfano, the most significant player whom club football has had, a symbol of their everything; the man whose arrival in 1953 changed Madrid and the game for ever, forging their legend, an identity. Now, when it comes to the European Cup, the competition in which they did it and feel as their own, Carvajal stands above him. Even saying it sounds absurd, a glimpse of what has just happened.

Jude Bellingham of Real Madrid lifts the Champions League trophy after his team’s victory in the Champions League final against Borussia Dortmund.

No one has won this competition more times. A tiny, select group have won it as many. Five men have lifted the European Cup six times and three of them are Carvajal’s teammates: on Saturday he, Luka Modric, Nacho Fernández and Toni Kroos joined Paco Gento, whose seemingly impossible feat has taken 58 years, and one prodigious decade, to match. Carvajal is the only one of this generation to have started all six finals, although he was forced off early in two, his tears there adding poignancy to the goal that pulled them through here.

“I came as a kid and now I’m here,” he said. “It is going to be very hard for this [record] to be taken away from us.”

There were many images, words and moments to hold on to at the end of Real Madrid’s 15th – fifteenth – European Cup. Kroos leaving like that. Vinícius Júnior scoring another Champions League final goal, at 23: “Ballon d’Or, no doubt,” Carlo Ancelotti, the Madrid manager, said. Jude Bellingham, winning the trophy for the first time, aged 20, who said he was holding it together until he saw his mum’s and dad’s faces. Ancelotti intervening again, with calm clarity. “He knows what he is doing,” Bellingham had said. There was the way they did it, which is their way, a story seen before. They had been let off alive, Ancelotti admitted, but they had done it.

Jude Bellingham sits with his brother, Jobe, as their parents Mark and Denise talk in the background after the Champions League final.

You didn’t seriously think they wouldn’t, did you? They have not lost a final in the competition since 1981: played nine, won nine. “It seems that in these games, we’re not able to lose,” Kroos said. “To be level with Gento is crazy, something I never thought I am going to achieve.”

Through all those images, those little vignettes, there was that basic fact, the thing it all built to, that expresses the enormity of this: Real Madrid had just won their 15th European Cup. Now they will ask for the 16th, Ancelotti was told, to which he started laughing. When he eventually stopped, he replied: “It is like that.” As if to prove the point, the president, Florentino Pérez, then said exactly that and this week he will announce Kylian Mbappé’s arrival. But it is a stock phrase. That’s tomorrow and this is now, and always. Forget the next one, at least for a while. Stop. Take it in. Don’t look forward, look back.

Because this is about emulating the eternal, surpassing it even, less perhaps about the 15th than about it being Madrid’s sixth in 10 years: from Lisbon to London, 2014 to 2024. No one has ever done this, except them. Four of this team have won as many European Cups as Liverpool, never mind Gento, the only Madrid player who won their first five European Cups, from 1956-60, and their sixth in 1966.

The ’66 team, known as the Madrid of the Ye-Ye, a transliteration of the chorus from the Beatles’ She Loves You, stood apart, an outlier. Madrid had been knocked out for the first time in 1960 – by Barcelona – and lost the finals in 1962 and 1964. Di Stéfano had gone and economically they were not in good health. The team that beat Partizan in the 1966 final was made up entirely of Spaniards.

Alfredo Di Stéfano (right), scores Real Madrid’s first goal in 7-3 win over Eintracht Frankfurt in the 1960 European Cup Final at Hampden Park, to set his team en route to their fifth consecutive crown.
If that contributes to this current side perhaps not being seen as emulating Madrid’s golden generation, embodied by winning the first five European Cups rather than six in the opening decade, there are other elements too. That team built Madrid’s identity and comes with an aura of invincibility, of dominance, an imperious march to the title, that this generation may not match. Instead there is the implausibility of these successes: the miracles, the fortune, the goalkeepers suddenly losing their minds, the plain silliness of some of their wins. Even they agreed 2022 was pretty ridiculous. When they were defeated 4-0 by Manchester City the following year in the semi-final second leg, some saw it as justice and the end.

“There’s always a ‘but’,” Ancelotti has said. Rodrygo admitted recently that Manchester City were “better” than them. In this final, again they were made to suffer. The run from 2014 began in the season in which Atlético Madrid were domestic champions, and in the final it took a 93rd‑minute equaliser and an extra-time barrage to beat them. In two of the three they won in a row between 2016 and 2018, Barcelona were La Liga champions and that, Madrid’s then coach Zinedine Zidane admitted, was the most objective test, the title he most valued.

And yet as Kroos presciently said after that elimination in Manchester: “It is not normal to win the Champions League all the time. The last time I heard it was the end of an era was 2019, so we’re OK.” He was right, they were OK; better than that, better than anyone. No buts, this is inescapable: six European Cups in a decade, an achievement to match any, even that one, untouchable in black and white. Sometimes you need to step back from the history you’re making to see that you’re making it. Time changes perceptions, of this era and that one; the past is seen differently and one day this will be the past and it will be glorious.

 

The galácticos had come, glory assured. But they got stuck. The 10th tortured them; the décima became an obsession and it resisted them for more than a decade. Six years in a row, they didn’t manage to win a knockout game. Twelve years they waited, which felt like an eternity, and eventually reached the final in 2014. With the clock on 92.48 they were losing, and to Atlético of all teams: that Sergio Ramos header is surely the single most sliding-doors moment in their history. “Every morning when he comes in, I feel like kissing him,” Paul Clement, Ancelotti’s assistant, said. The most traumatic of ends awaited them, everything about to be ripped up.

Instead, it was the beginning. Madrid had the 10th. Two years later they had the 11th, then the 12th and the 13th in a row, which was extraordinary enough. That cycle appeared to be closing. Players went – Cristiano Ronaldo, Ramos, Gareth Bale, Casemiro, Raphaël Varane – and so did the coaches. Ancelotti had been sacked within a year and then Zidane – who had begun as his assistant and was now the competition’s most successful manager – departed.

Madrid were struggling to find a replacement. One day José Ángel Sánchez, the director general, received a call from Ancelotti about the possibility of Everton taking Madrid players on loan. At one point the Italian asked him how the search was going. Not good, he was told. To which Ancelotti joked, well, there is one obvious candidate, the best coach in the world. “Have you forgotten about the décima?” he said.

Within a day it was done; within three years, Madrid lifted the decimocuarta and the decimoquinta, the best decade the biggest club of all have had, opening and closing with the competition’s most successful manager on the bench and four of its five most successful players on the pitch. The kid who had laid the first stone 20 years earlier provided the final touch, their work complete.

 

- The Guardian Sport



Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
TT

Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa

Bayern Munich defender Alphonso Davies suffered a muscle injury during Saturday's 3-2 win over Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena, the German club said.

Davies, who recently returned to action after a long-term knee injury, was replaced by Hiroki Ito in the 50th minute after the Canadian collapsed and required ⁠medical treatment.

"Alphonso Davies ⁠suffered a torn muscle fibre in his right hamstring in the 3-2 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt. This was confirmed by ... FC Bayern’s medical unit," ⁠the side said in a statement.

"The defender will be sidelined for the time being."

While the length of Davies' absence remains unconfirmed, manager Vincent Kompany expressed hope he would return within two to four weeks.

"It doesn't look so bad," Kompany said after the match, according to Reuters.

"I ⁠don't ⁠know if it will be two or four weeks," he told reporters. "My gut feeling is that it won't take that long."

Bayern, who are on top of the Bundesliga table with 60 points in 23 games, will face the second-placed Borussia Dortmund next Saturday. 
 


Chelsea, Burnley Condemn Racist Abuse of Fofana, Mejbri

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
TT

Chelsea, Burnley Condemn Racist Abuse of Fofana, Mejbri

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley

Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana and Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri said they were racially abused on social media following their sides’ 1-1 Premier League draw at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Fofana, who was sent off in the 72nd minute after receiving a second yellow card for a challenge on James Ward-Prowse, shared screenshots of messages he received on Instagram after the match.

"2026, it’s still the same thing, nothing changes," the Frenchman wrote on Instagram, according to Reuters. "These people are never punished. You create big campaigns against racism, but nobody actually does anything."

Chelsea condemned the abuse on their official website.

"Such behavior ⁠is completely unacceptable ⁠and runs counter to the values of the game and everything we stand for as a club. There is no room for racism," they said in a statement.

"We stand unequivocally with Wes. He has our full support, as do all our players, who are too often forced to endure ⁠this hatred simply for doing their job.

"We will work with the relevant authorities and platforms in identifying the perpetrators and take the strongest possible action."

Mejbri, who was fouled for the first of the two yellow cards that led to Fofana’s dismissal, also posted the messages he received on social media.

"Educate yourself and your kids," he wrote in an Instagram story.

Burnley backed the Tunisian in a statement, saying there was no space for racism at the club.

"There is no place for this ⁠in our ⁠society and we condemn it unreservedly," they said on their website.

"The club continues to be unequivocal in its stance – we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.

"The club has reported the post to Instagram’s parent company, Meta, and expects strong support from them, together with the Premier League and the police, and will work to ensure that the individual responsible is identified and investigated."

The draw moved Chelsea into fourth place on goal difference ahead of Michael Carrick’s Manchester United, who face Everton on Monday and could reclaim the position with a win.


Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
TT

Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)

The pressure is on Arsenal after Manchester City cut its lead at the top of the Premier League to two points on Saturday.

Second-place City beat Newcastle 2-1 to turn the heat up on the title race.
Victory at the Etihad Stadium piles the pressure on leader Arsenal ahead of Sunday's north London derby against Tottenham.

Nico O'Reilly scored both goals for Pep Guardiola's team and extended its unbeaten run in the league to five.

“The win was the most important thing. Try to close the gap as well as apply as much pressure as possible, but (I'm) also very happy with the two goals,” The Associated Press quoted O'Reilly as saying. “It’s a lot of games to go, we just need to take each game as it comes.”

City also moved further clear of third-place Aston Villa, which drew 1-1 with Leeds. Chelsea is fourth after a 1-1 draw with Burnley.

City is the team chasing down Arsenal, which has stumbled in recent weeks with only two wins in its last seven.

By contrast, City is finding form at the right time for a title run and ground out victory against Newcastle.

Guardiola and his players appeared to acknowledge how important the result could be as they embraced each other after the final whistle.

The momentum is with City at the top of the standings having cut back Arsenal’s lead, which was nine points earlier this month.

Three straight wins against Liverpool, Fulham and Newcastle have changed the complexion of the title race, while Arsenal has drawn back-to-back games against Brentford and Wolves.

O’Reilly’s 14th minute strike put City ahead against Newcastle, but Lewis Hall leveled in the 22nd.

O’Reilly got his second with a header across goal five minutes later.

City defended deep in the second half as Newcastle went in search of an equalizer and held out for the win.

“We won today, but it’s a step at a time,” said Guardiola. “Seventy percent of the players never played in that situation (challenging for the title), and I don’t play. So we have to live it. They know, we know, that every game until the end of the season will be like this.”

Aston Villa's title challenge was hit after being held to a 1-1 draw at home to relegation-fighting Leeds on Saturday.

It took an 88th-minute equalizer from substitute Tammy Abraham to rescue a point for Villa — but the draw means Unai Emery's team could be cut further adrift of Arsenal and Manchester City at the top of the standings.

“There are two sides — one is that we lost two points, or that we won one point,” Villa coach Unai Emery said. “We have 51 points. Today, we lost two, or we won one. At this point, hopefully, we can get the next matches, understanding this point better.”

Villa's draw leaves it seven points behind Arsenal and continued its shaky recent form of just one win in four in the league.

It could have been worse after Aton Stach put Leeds ahead from free kick in the 31st.

Abraham, a January signing from Besiktas, came on in the 75th and leveled from close range for his first Premier League goal since his move to Villa Park.

Leeds is seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chelsea hit by late goal Zian Flemming scored in the 93rd at Stamford Bridge to salvage a draw for second to last place Burnley.

Joao Pedro's goal in the fourth looked like being enough for the home team, which went down to 10 men when Wesley Fofana was sent off in the 72nd.

“You need to be ruthless in this league because if you don’t defend set plays well then you get punished," Chelsea coach Liam Rosenior said. “I felt we were very happy — and it’s not the way I want to play — just to maintain possession, I want us to go for more goals."

The point moved Chelsea up to fourth — above Manchester United on goal difference, having played a game more. But the race for Champions League qualification could be even tighter by the end of the weekend with Liverpool now having the chance to move level on points with Chelsea if it beats Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

United plays Everton on Monday.

James Milner played his 654th game in the Premier League to set a new appearance record for the competition.

The 40-year-old Milner surpassed the previous benchmark set by Gareth Barry, which had stood since 2018. And he doesn't sound like he's ready to call it a day yet.

"I’ll keep pushing, let’s see where that takes us,” Milner said after Brighton's 2-0 win, which delivered a setback to Brentford's Champions League challenge.

Goals from Diego Gomez and Danny Welbeck put Brighton in control before the break at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Brentford is five points off the Champions League places.

Adams returns from injury US international Tyler Adams was back on the field for Bournemouth — making his first appearance since tearing his left MCL on Dec. 15.

Adams was in the starting lineup for the 0-0 draw against West Ham and played for 66 minutes before being replaced by Ryan Christie.

It’s now just one loss in six for West Ham as its battle to avoid the drop continues to gain momentum.

West Ham, in 17th, is two points away from safety, but has played a game more than its closest rival Forest.