Replacing a Great Manager Is Never Easy but Slot Didn’t Get That Memo at Liverpool

Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo
Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo
TT

Replacing a Great Manager Is Never Easy but Slot Didn’t Get That Memo at Liverpool

Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo
Liverpool manager Arne Slot / AP Photo

You could say he has slotted in just fine.

Arne Slot clearly didn't get the memo that it's supposed to be a near-impossible job to follow a club great as manager.

Take David Moyes after replacing Alex Ferguson at Manchester United. Moyes lasted 10 months.

Or Unai Emery after replacing Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. Emery lasted an uncomfortable 18 months.

These are very early days but Slot has barely put a foot wrong since succeeding Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool manager following the popular German's nearly nine years in the dugout, according to The AP. Klopp forged such a connection with the port city and its soccer-mad people that he was compared with Bill Shankly, the club’s most legendary manager.

Maybe it's because, at the moment, Slot's Liverpool doesn't look too much different to Klopp's team.

Two Premier League matches. Two wins. Two clean sheets.

There was even a convincing win over Manchester United in a preseason game in the United States, which is never a bad thing when it comes to getting fans of the Reds onside.

There are bigger challenges to come, of course. Starting on Sunday when Liverpool plays United for real, this time in the league at Old Trafford in what is historically the biggest match in English soccer between the country's two most successful teams.

While United opted to stick with its manager, Erik ten Hag, despite a woeful eighth-place finish last season, Liverpool's hand was forced by Klopp's decision to step down after a tenure that included a Premier League and a Champions League title.

Slot was regarded as a natural successor because of his style of play which, while not as intense and suffocating, is still very attacking and high-energy like Klopp's.

Indeed, Richard Hughes, Liverpool’s new sporting director who identified Slot as Klopp's replacement, said during the summer that the Dutchman's coaching philosophy and approach “lend really well with the kind of squad we have, the supporters and the football club as a whole.”

Hence why, to the frustration of some Liverpool fans, the club has felt it necessary to sign only one player so far in the first transfer window of the new era — and even that was a goalkeeper, Georgia international Giorgi Mamardashvili, who has been sent back on loan to the team from which he was bought. It could be two before the transfer window closes on Friday, having agreed to sign Italy winger Federico Chiesa from Juventus.

In short, Slot feels it's tough to improve on what he has and will go about making only tweaks here and there to put his own stamp on the lineup in its bid to challenge Manchester City and Arsenal, the two top teams over the last two years, for the Premier League title.

Take this stat from Sunday's 2-0 win at Brentford: Liverpool completed 92% of its passes, which — according to Premier League statistics supplier Opta — is the team's highest on record (since 2003-04) in a Premier League game.

That fits with a comment made in preseason by Liverpool midfielder Curtis Jones, who said the aim now is to “have all the ball and completely kill a team.”

Initially, it feels like there's less chaos, and more control, in Slot's team.

However, look at the goals scored against Brentford and they still bore the imprints of the Klopp era. There was the rapid counterattack, launched after clearing a Brentford corner, that was finished off by Luis Diaz, and a strike by Mohamed Salah after the ball was won back high up the field by heavy pressing.

For the moment, the results are coming because the same players are doing the same things they did under Klopp.

In that sense, Slot is playing it clever and not trying to change too much too quickly, something which Moyes and Emery perhaps got wrong when they headed up new eras at other English soccer superpowers.

Indeed, 11 years after Ferguson's retirement, United is still trying to rediscover its identity, with Ten Hag the fifth permanent manager since (plus three interim coaches).

Not that everything is rosy for Slot.

There's still the thorny issue of perhaps his best three players — Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Trent Alexander-Arnold — all having contracts ending after this season. Alexander-Arnold created a bit of a stir on social media with his reaction to being substituted early against Brentford.

Slot also has yet to find a solution to his one clear concern about the team — at the base of its midfield. An attempt to buy Spain international Martin Zubimendi from Real Sociedad failed this month and he has been using Ryan Gravenberch, a midfielder who might be better going forward, as the most deep lying of the central-midfield three.

Otherwise, Slot has been charming in news conferences — much like Klopp was — and, tellingly, makes it his mantra to be praiseworthy of the team in general instead of focusing on any individual.

Most importantly, his team has been winning games.

And none are bigger than against Manchester United. Being at Liverpool only a few months won't stop Slot knowing that.



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."