Sinner to Play Alcaraz in China Open Final

Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)
TT

Sinner to Play Alcaraz in China Open Final

Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner hits a return to China's Bu Yunchaokete during their men's singles semi-final match at the China Open tennis tournament in Beijing on October 1, 2024. (Photo by WANG Zhao / AFP)

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner will play rival Carlos Alcaraz in the final of the China Open after recording a 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory over home favorite Bu Yunchaokete on Tuesday.
Sinner and Alcaraz accounted for all four Grand Slam titles this year between them. Alcaraz leads the head-to-head series 5-4 — including wins at both their meetings this year — but Sinner doesn't believe that recent history will have a bearing on Wednesday's final.
“We know each other very well now, but every match is different, so the situation on the court is also a bit different than it was the last two matches,” The Associated Press quoted Sinner as saying.
The 23-year-old Italian is the defending champion and hasn't appeared distracted by the World Anti-Doping Agency announcing Saturday it was seeking a ban of one to two years for the US Open champion, who tested positive twice for an anabolic steroid in March.
Chinese wild card Yunchaokete, ranked 96th, couldn't take any of his three break-point chances in the first set.
Sinner’s experience proved crucial during the pivotal moments, especially in the second-set tiebreaker, where he surged to a 6-1 lead.
Earlier, third-ranked Alcaraz's athleticism was again on show as he advanced to the final with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Daniil Medvedev.
“I felt great on the court once again, so I’m really happy about it,” Alcaraz said. “I couldn’t ask for a better semifinal.”
The four-time Grand Slam champion — including this year's French Open and Wimbledon — extended his head-to-head record against the Russian to 6-2.
The 21-year-old Spaniard found his way through a testing first set that had five breaks of serve, but crucially it was Alcaraz's third service break in the 12th game that secured the set.
Alcaraz has now won eight straight matches — across the Davis Cup, Laver Cup and in Beijing — since his loss to Botic van de Zandschulp in the second round at the US Open.
Osaka out with back injury Coco Gauff advanced to the quarterfinals when Naomi Osaka retired at 3-6, 6-4 because of a lower back injury.
Osaka, a four-time major champion, was leading 4-3 in the second set before Gauff won three straight games.
The sixth-ranked Gauff then helped carry Osaka's bags off the court.
Gauff hit six aces compared to Osaka’s one and improved to 3-2 over her opponent at WTA tournaments.
She will next meet No. 115-ranked Yuliia Starodubtseva, who earlier upset No. 14 Anna Kalinskaya 7-5, 6-0.
Paula Badosa reeled off 11 of the last 12 games in a 6-4, 6-0 victory over US Open finalist Jessica Pegula to reach her eighth career quarterfinal at a WTA 1000-level event.
“She’s one the of the players I never want to face — she’s very solid, hits very flat, changes very well direction,” said Badosa, who was 0-3 previously against Pegula. “I prepared myself for a battle, but I think today everything worked pretty well."
Badosa next faces 35-year-old Chinese player Zhang Shuai, who continued her resurgence with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Magdalena Frech of Poland.
Zhang entered the China Open on a 24-match losing streak and ranked No. 595, but she's yet to drop a set in four matches this week.
Zhang is now into her first women's tour quarterfinal since Tokyo in 2022, and her first at a WTA 1000 tournament since Cincinnati in the same year.
“In this draw, everyone has a higher ranking than me,” Zhang said. “Just step on court, just play. So I do not have much to think about, to prepare. I will just focus on myself.”
Japan Open Arthur Fils saved a championship point and rallied to beat Ugo Humbert 5-7, 7-6 (6), 6-3 in the final of the Japan Open to earn his third tour-level title.
The championship point was in the second-set tiebreaker against his French compatriot.
The 20-year-old Fils struggled with an injury to his left leg for much of the second set and when trailing 4-3 in the second set — with three break points for his opponent — it looked almost certain that Humbert would go on to win his seventh final in seven appearances.
Fils defeated four top-20 opponents — US Open finalist Taylor Fritz, defending champion Ben Shelton, Holger Rune and Humbert — on his way to the title.



Hamilton Says He Forgot Who He Was but Has Re-Set for New Season

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Hamilton Says He Forgot Who He Was but Has Re-Set for New Season

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)

Ferrari's Lewis Hamilton has ‌admitted he "forgot who I was" but is now excited for the new Formula One season and ready to go racing again.

In a defiant message posted on Instagram, the seven times world champion made clear he was fully motivated again after a disappointing first season with the Italian team.

"I love this job so much and I love working with my team and driving ‌for the fans," ‌said the 41-year-old Briton, who ‌joined ⁠Ferrari from Mercedes ⁠last year amid much initial fanfare.

"I'm incredibly lucky to be able to do what I do, and I'm excited for the season ahead.

"I'm re-set and refreshed. I'm not going anywhere, so stick with me. For a moment, I forgot ⁠who I was, but thanks to ‌you and your support ‌you're not going to see that mindset again. I ‌know what needs to be done. This ‌is going to be one hell of a season."

The most successful driver in Formula One history had the worst season of his career last year, failing ‌to get on the podium in 24 races and sounding increasingly gloomy.

Ferrari also ⁠failed ⁠to win a race in 2025 but have looked strong in testing in Bahrain this month, with Hamilton's teammate Charles Leclerc fastest in this week's final session before the cars are flown to Australia for the first race on March 8.

Andrea Stella, the boss of champions McLaren, told reporters on Friday that he saw Mercedes and Ferrari as the teams to beat.

"McLaren and Red Bull probably very similar, Ferrari and Mercedes a step ahead," he said.


Juventus End Bad Week with 2-0 Loss Against Como

Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Juventus End Bad Week with 2-0 Loss Against Como

Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)

Juventus blew their chance of climbing into the Champions League places in Serie A as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at home to Como on Saturday.

A win would have lifted Juve above fourth-placed Napoli but, Juventus, thrashed 5-2 at Galatasaray in the first leg of the Champions League play-offs in midweek, they had no answer to the ambition of Como who moved one point behind them in sixth.

The visitors, who drew with AC Milan on Wednesday, were in front after just 11 minutes when Juve gave the ball away in midfield.

Anastasios Douvikas collected and played in Mergim Vojvoda on the right.

The Kosovar cut inside before unleashing a left-footed shot from 18 meters out. Michele Di Gregorio got a hand on it but couldn't prevent it hitting the back of the Juve net.

The second came just after the hour when Como counter-attacked from a poorly taken Juventus corner.

Maximo Perrone carried the ball all the way up the pitch before spotting Lucas Da Cunha on the right making a run into the box.

The captain drilled a low cross to Maxence Caqueret on the edge of the six-yard box who tapped into an empty net.

Victory at Lecce later on Saturday would give leaders Inter Milan a 10-point lead over AC Milan, who host Parma on Sunday.


Lionel Messi's Inter Miami Reloads for a Run at a Second Straight MLS Title

Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega
Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega
TT

Lionel Messi's Inter Miami Reloads for a Run at a Second Straight MLS Title

Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega
Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi waves to supporters before a friendly soccer match between Inter Miami and Atlético Nacional at the Atanasio Girardot Stadium in Medellín, Colombia, 31 January 2026. EPA/Carlos Ortega

Less than three months removed from its first MLS Cup championship, Lionel Messi's Inter Miami shows no signs of a letdown.

The Herons have assembled one of the strongest rosters in Major League Soccer history heading into a season that begins this weekend and bookends around the biggest event of them all, the World Cup hosted by the United States, Mexico and Canada.

The ageless Messi — he turns 39 in June — is coming off his second straight MVP award, the first player in MLS history to accomplish that feat. He just keeps adding to a legacy that already ensures he'll be remembered as one of the greatest ever to play the beautiful game, The Associated Press said.

“He’s a quiet guy, but on the pitch he transforms into an animal,” teammate Yannick Bright told Italy’s La Gazzetta dello Sport. “After all he’s won, he never wants to lose, not even in training.”

Messi is hardly going it alone in Miami, which pulled off an impressive reload after bringing a title to South Florida.

MLS goalkeeper of the year Dayne St. Clair was lured away from Minnesota United, addressing the club's biggest area of concern. Germán Berterame arrived from Liga MX’s Monterrey to fill a designated player spot, giving the Herons another dynamic threat up front. Newcomers Micael, Sergio Reguilón and David Ayala should help the club cope with the departures of Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba.

Miami begins its title defense Saturday night with a prime-time matchup against Los Angeles FC at the iconic Coliseum, which is expected to draw a crowd of more than 60,000.

Messi dealt with a muscle issue during the preseason, which put his availability for the opener in question. But he returned to full training this week and is expected to play.

Adding to the excitement in Miami, the Herons will hold the first game at their new Freedom Park stadium on April 4. The 25,000-seat facility completes a more than decade-long quest to build a soccer-specific stadium within the city.

Miami's possible challengers The Vancouver Whitecaps, who were bolstered by the summer signing of longtime German star Thomas Müller, reached the final of both the MLS Cup and CONCACAF Champions Cup in 2025.

They came up short in both games, losing 3-1 to Messi's squad for the league title and 5-0 to Mexico's Cruz Azul for the continental championship. With Müller set for his first full season in MLS, the Whitecaps are eager to bring home a trophy.

Los Angeles FC could the strongest club this side of South Florida, with Son Heung-Min also set for full campaign after his midseason arrival from Tottenham Hotspur provided a dynamic pairing with Denis Bouanga.

“I let Messi win this year,” Son joked during a December visit to Tottenham, "but next year ... we’ll be at the top.”

Also keep an eye on the Philadelphia Union, which claimed the Supporters' Shield for the league's best record during the regular season, and Minnesota United FC with its newest addition, Colombian icon James Rodríguez on a short-term deal.

World Cup break

The league's 30 clubs will have to navigate a seven-week shutdown while the expanded World Cup is held in North America.

MLS stadiums in Atlanta, New England, Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto will host World Cup matches, and many of the league's training facilities will be utilized by nations from around the globe.

The unique schedule has led to some strange quirks in the schedule, such as Atlanta United going more than three months between home games at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

When MLS resumes play in mid-July, it will be interesting to see which teams do the best job of handling the long layoff.