Liverpool Leads the Way in Premier League, Gives Slot Club Record

05 October 2024, United Kingdom, London: Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah celebrate with coach Arne Slot after the final whistle of the English Premier League match between Crystal Palace and Liverpool at Selhurst Park, London. Photo: Adam Davy/PA Wire/dpa
05 October 2024, United Kingdom, London: Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah celebrate with coach Arne Slot after the final whistle of the English Premier League match between Crystal Palace and Liverpool at Selhurst Park, London. Photo: Adam Davy/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Liverpool Leads the Way in Premier League, Gives Slot Club Record

05 October 2024, United Kingdom, London: Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah celebrate with coach Arne Slot after the final whistle of the English Premier League match between Crystal Palace and Liverpool at Selhurst Park, London. Photo: Adam Davy/PA Wire/dpa
05 October 2024, United Kingdom, London: Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah celebrate with coach Arne Slot after the final whistle of the English Premier League match between Crystal Palace and Liverpool at Selhurst Park, London. Photo: Adam Davy/PA Wire/dpa

Arne Slot earned a Liverpool record of nine wins from his first 10 games in charge after the club stayed on the top of the English Premier League on Saturday.
Diogo Jota’s ninth-minute goal at Selhurst Park held up to beat Crystal Palace 1-0 and ensure Slot would be looking down on rival managers Pep Guardiola of Manchester City and Mikel Arteta of Arsenal heading into the international break.
Four-time defending champion City is second after beating Fulham 3-2 and third-placed Arsenal won against Southampton 3-1. Both trail Liverpool by a point.
Slot is making light work of filling the void left by Anfield great Jurgen Klopp, with no other manager in the club’s history winning so many of his opening games in all competitions, The Associated Press reported.
“It definitely is (very satisfying). And it’s actually also quite special if you know how many great managers Liverpool had,” Slot said. “But I also said last week I think that I hope they don’t only remember me in one, two, three, four, five years only for this. We are hoping to do more special things than this.”
Liverpool’s only defeat under the Dutchman was a shock 1-0 home loss against Nottingham Forest. Otherwise, it has been a perfect start for a man who had the ominous task of replacing Klopp, who won a full set of major honors including the Premier League and Champions League.
Slot looks likely to be the main challenger to City and Arsenal, who have been first and second respectively in the last two seasons.
Both of those teams survived scares to come from behind to win at home.
Alisson injury It wasn’t all good news for Liverpool after goalkeeper Alisson sustained a suspected hamstring injury and was substituted in the second half at Palace.
The Brazil international, who has only recently returned from a muscle injury, was holding the back of his right leg after limping off Selhurst Park and is likely to miss Brazil’s World Cup qualifiers against Chile and Peru.
Argentina midfielder Alexis Mac Allister also went off with a groin issue that makes him a doubt for his country’s qualifiers against Venezuela and Bolivia.
Home rule City extended its unbeaten home run to 50 games in all competitions with victory against Fulham.
The sequence dates to November 2022 when Brentford won 2-1 at the Etihad Stadium through Ivan Toney’s last-minute strike. City was knocked out of the Champions League quarterfinals by Real Madrid last season after losing a penalty shootout, but the game ended 1-1 after extra time and does not officially count as a defeat.
It took John Stones’ stoppage-time goal to preserve the record in a 2-2 draw against Arsenal last month and on Saturday two goals from Mateo Kovacic saw City fight back after Andreas Pereira fired Fulham into a 26th-minute lead.
Kovacic’s deflected strike leveled the score in the 32nd and he made it 2-1 in the 47th.
Jeremy Doku extended City’s lead in the 82nd before substitute Rodrigo Muniz set up a tense finish with Fulham’s second in the 88th.
Had Adama Traore been more clinical with chances in each half, City’s proud record might have been broken.
City is unbeaten in its last 30 games in the league.
Arsenal’s run Arsenal’s 400th home win in the Premier League era was secured only after being given a fright by second-from-bottom Southampton, which took the lead at Emirates Stadium through Cameron Archer 10 minutes into the second half.
Bukayo Saka set up goals for Kai Havertz in the 58th and Gabriel Martinelli in the 68th before Southampton twice hit the frame of the goal in search of an equalizer.
Saka then put the game beyond doubt with his third goal of the season in the 88th.
Flying starters After becoming the first team in Premier League history to score in the opening minute in three consecutive games, Brentford is slowing down.
The west London club’s fans had to wait until the second minute to cheer its first goal against Wolves on Saturday when Nathan Collins found the back of the net on the way to a wild 5-3 win.
Matheus Cunha equalized for Wolves two minutes later and Bryan Mbeumo restored Brentford’s advantage from the penalty spot in the 20th.
It was all square again when Jorgen Strand Larsen leveled in the 26th, then Christian Norgaard put the home team in front for the third time in the 28th.
Ethan Pinnock made it 4-2 in first half stoppage time.
A frantic finish saw Fabio Carvalho score a fifth for Brentford in the 90th and Rayan Ait-Nouri grab a consolation for last-placed Wolves three minutes later.
Unhappy return Newcastle's Anthony Gordon failed to score from the penalty spot on his return to former club Everton as Newcastle drew 0-0 at Goodison Park.
Gordon, who began his career at Everton before joining Newcastle last year, saw his spot kick saved by Jordan Pickford in the 35th to the delight of the home fans.
The point maintained Everton’s recent upturn in form and extended its unbeaten run to four games in all competitions after losing its first four in the league.
First win Leicester won for the first time since being promoted back to the top flight by beating Bournemouth 1-0.
Facundo Buonanotte struck the winner in the 16th at King Power Stadium.
Also, West Ham beat Ipswich 4-1 at London Stadium.



US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
TT

US Open Announces Record $108 Million Prize Purse

FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Tennis - US Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 7, 2025 General view during the final match between Italy's Jannik Sinner and Spain's Carlos Alcaraz REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton/File Photo

The US Open will hand out $108 million in prize money at this year's final Grand Slam, it said on Thursday, marking the largest purse in tennis history and a 20% jump from last year's total payout.

The men's and women's singles champions ⁠at the August ⁠23 to September 13 major in New York will earn $5.5 million each, which marks a 10% increase from last year ⁠and is the largest Grand Slam payment in history for a main draw singles champion.

The compensation package also includes what tournament organizers said is a Grand Slam record for first-round payouts, which this year will increase 27% ⁠to $140,000, Reuters reported.

The ⁠payout structure was revealed shortly after the sport's four biggest tournaments announced the creation of a Grand Slam Player Council that is intended to give players a voice on a range of issues like prize money.


Grand Slams Create Player Advisory Council amid Push for Increased Prize Money

Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA;  Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
TT

Grand Slams Create Player Advisory Council amid Push for Increased Prize Money

Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA;  Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
Aug 16, 2026; Mason, OH, USA; Ben Shelton (USA) reaches but is unable to return a shot against Jamie Faria (POR) during the Cincinnati Open at Lindner Family Tennis Center. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images

Tennis's four biggest tournaments announced on Thursday the creation of a Grand Slam Player Advisory Council that will focus on a range of issues including prize money.

The Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, and US Open said in a joint press release that the council will be launched following the year's final Grand Slam, which starts later this month in New York.

The tournaments are currently shaping the composition of the council and operating structure with player input.

Interested players will be able to apply for positions on the council where they can address a full range of Grand Slam sporting matters, including the desire for a greater share ⁠of revenue from ⁠the four blue-riband events.

"Having a seat at the table with the Grand Slams is something we have wanted for some time, so I’m really pleased to see this council come together," Reuters quoted world number six Ben Shelton as saying in a press release.

"It gives us, as players, a real opportunity to have a voice, contribute to the conversation ⁠and help shape the tournaments beyond what happens on the court."

At this year's French Open, women's world number one Aryna Sabalenka said players would boycott the event if their prize money at the clay-court Grand Slam was not increased. American Coco Gauff also voiced her support for the drastic step.

The four blue-riband events said the goal of the council will be to further strengthen the partnership between the Grand Slams and the players, with a focus on player input into sporting matters at the tournaments.

Sporting matters that affect the ⁠Grand Slam ⁠tournaments collectively will be addressed through the council on a joint basis.

The council will also provide a regular forum for players to discuss issues like player welfare and compensation with each Grand Slam individually because of the distinct structure, economics, governance and decision-making process of each tournament.

"We have listened to the players’ desire for a greater voice and this advisory council is an important step towards a stronger relationship between the Grand Slams and the players," said Deborah Jevans, chair of the All England Club.

"We look forward to working together to elevate the player experience, further enhance the Grand Slam tournaments and ensure the sport continues to thrive."


Brazil's Iconic Maracana to Stage Women's World Cup Opener and Final in 2027

A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
TT

Brazil's Iconic Maracana to Stage Women's World Cup Opener and Final in 2027

A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz
A drone view of the Maracana stadium ahead of the World Cup tournament, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 9, 2026. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz

Brazil will stage the opening game and final of the 2027 Women's World Cup at Rio de Janeiro's Maracana Stadium, according to the match schedule unveiled on Thursday for the 32-team tournament.

The hosts kick off the event on June 24 in a fitting opening to the first Women's World Cup held in South America, with the Maracana -- one of the game's most famous venues and the site of Brazil's heartbreak defeat by Uruguay in the 1950 men's World Cup decider -- also hosting the July 25 final.

FIFA confirmed that all eight host cities will stage at least seven matches and a minimum of one knockout game.

Brasilia, Porto Alegre, Recife and Salvador will stage matches through to the last 16, while Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo will hold the quarter-finals.

Sao Paulo and Rio will host the semi-finals.

"I already have goosebumps thinking about the incredible passion, colour and energy that Brazilian fans will bring to the tournament as they welcome the world to eight vibrant host cities," FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.

The Maracana will become only the third stadium to host both a men's and women's World Cup final, following Stockholm's Rasunda Stadium and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

"Each host city will add its own unique flavour, making this a colourful, joyful and unforgettable celebration," former Brazil captain Aline Pellegrino said.

"The world's best players will feel that energy from the stands and they will give it back on the pitch through moments and performances that will inspire girls and boys around the world."

The final schedule will be published later this year.