Atletico Trying to Raise Awareness of Fans with Disabilities in Champions League Game

Atletico Madrid supporters cheer during the Copa del Rey round of 16 soccer match between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in Madrid, Spain, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024. (AP)
Atletico Madrid supporters cheer during the Copa del Rey round of 16 soccer match between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in Madrid, Spain, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024. (AP)
TT

Atletico Trying to Raise Awareness of Fans with Disabilities in Champions League Game

Atletico Madrid supporters cheer during the Copa del Rey round of 16 soccer match between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in Madrid, Spain, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024. (AP)
Atletico Madrid supporters cheer during the Copa del Rey round of 16 soccer match between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid in Madrid, Spain, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2024. (AP)

Atletico Madrid wants to attract a record number of spectators with disabilities to a Champions League match to raise awareness about inclusion and the need to promote better access to sport for disabled fans in venues across Europe.

Thousands of supporters with disabilities are expected at Atletico’s game against Lille at Metropolitano Stadium on Wednesday, when the club could break the record of 1,740 disabled fans set by Real Betis in a Spanish league game against Valladolid last year.

Atletico and its partners in the initiative, including the groups AccessibAll, Integrated Dreams and World Football Summit hope the feat will help launch a movement to improve access for disabled fans in sports venues.

"They proposed to us to do this type of match and automatically we said, 'Yes,'" Atletico chief operating officer Óscar Mayo told The Associated Press. "We are not worried about the record, it’s more about the awareness, the importance about thinking about these groups, to sensibilize all of society, and to create the awareness that, no matter what, you can enjoy these types of events."

The match comes a few days after a report by Level Playing Field, a body representing disabled sports fans, mentioned difficulties for disabled fans in away stadiums across Europe, including complaints of wheelchair users having to sit alongside supporters of the home team.

UEFA said it's "committed to strengthening inclusivity and accessibility at stadiums in Europe," in line with policies and targets outlined in its Football Sustainability Strategy 2030 document. The governing body said each of its licensed clubs must have a dedicated "disabled access officer," and noted that accessibility guidelines compiled in collaboration with AccessibAll were launched in September. The guidelines stipulate that wheelchair-user spaces shouldn't be located only in home supporter sectors.

One of the first initiatives similar to Atletico's came in 2015, when more than 1,000 disabled fans attended a local match in Poland, according to UEFA. Little else has been done since then, with Betis' initiative coming nearly a decade later.

"We found that it’s time to launch more than a record, it’s time to launch a movement," AccessibAll CEO Olivier Jarosz told the AP. "When we think about disability, we tend to think that it’s people on wheelchairs. And actually wheelchair users are 7%, so it’s a true minority. The majority of disabilities are non-visible. It could be visual, it could be mental, it could be cognitive. And there are many, many different challenges."

According to data from the European Union, 27% of the EU population over the age of 16 had some form of disability in 2023.

Mayo said Atletico was already contacted by other European clubs, without specifying them, to get more information about the initiative.

"We decided to do it in a UEFA match because the visibility is bigger," Mayo said. "And I think that if this helps to invite the rest of the teams to join in similar initiatives, it would be great."

Many times clubs don't take action because they think there are not enough fans with disabilities interested in attending their matches, so initiatives like the ones by Atletico should help show them that there is a demand for better services.

Germany is likely the country better prepared for fans with disabilities, Jarosz said, in part because it has "the best stadiums" that were used recently in the European Championship. He said the fact that clubs are traditionally owned by fans also helps, and society in general in the country is more used to servicing people with disabilities.

He said France also has improved recently, thanks to Paris having hosted the Olympics and the Paralympics.

"Certainly things are changing, but they are not moving enough," Jarosz said. "It’s very difficult to tell you on the global scale the situation, but certainly the governing bodies like FIFA and UEFA realized that this is important because it’s part of the population."

Atletico attracted fans with disabilities for Wednesday’s match by selling tickets to them at reduced prices and working with its fan groups to spread the word about the campaign.

Mayo said Atletico prepared an "intensive operation" to host the match. There will be specific parking places reserved for supporters with disabilities, and employees dedicated exclusively to help them.

Atletico’s 70,000-capacity stadium is one of the newest and most modern ones in Europe, and is considered to be fully equipped to welcome fans with disabilities. Access to and from the stadium in the Spanish capital is also considered to be adequate.

There will be activities before the match at Metropolitano, with exhibitions of wheelchair soccer and stands with information about different types of disabilities. Actors from the Spanish movie "Campeones," a highly successful comedy about the importance of inclusion, were set to be on hand, as were members of the Spain blind soccer team.

"These types of actions help make the people aware of the importance to think of them," Mayo said.

The Spanish government, through its inclusion ministry, was also involved in the initiative.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.