LeBron, Bronny James Make History as NBA's 1st Father-son Duo to Play Together

LeBron, Bronny James Make History as NBA's 1st Father-son Duo to Play Together
TT

LeBron, Bronny James Make History as NBA's 1st Father-son Duo to Play Together

LeBron, Bronny James Make History as NBA's 1st Father-son Duo to Play Together

LeBron James and Bronny James became the first father and son to play in the NBA together Tuesday night during the Los Angeles Lakers ' season opener.
LeBron and Bronny checked into the game together with four minutes left in the second quarter, prompting a big ovation from a home crowd aware of the enormity of the milestone. The 39-year-old LeBron had already started the game and played 13 minutes before he teamed up with his 20-year-old son to make history, The Associated Press reported.
LeBron James is the top scorer in NBA history, while LeBron James Jr. was a second-round pick by the Lakers last summer. They are the first father and son to play in the world's top basketball league at the same time, let alone on the same team.
“Y’all ready? You see the intensity, right? Just play carefree, though,” father told son on the bench before they checked in, an exchange captured by the TNT cameras and microphones. “Don’t worry about mistakes. Just go out and play hard.”
LeBron and Bronny played 2 1/2 minutes on court together, and LeBron missed two perimeter shots before making a dunk. Bronny had an early rebound and missed a tip-in.
Bronny's first NBA jump shot was a 3-pointer that came up just short. He checked out with 1:19 left in the second quarter, getting another ovation.
Bronny didn't play again in the Lakers' 110-103 victory over Minnesota. LeBron, who scored 16 points, did an on-court interview with Bronny before they headed to the Lakers' locker room together — but not before stopping in the tunnel to hug Savannah James, LeBron's wife and Bronny's mother.
Ken Griffey Sr. and Ken Griffey Jr. were courtside at the Lakers' downtown arena to witness the same history they made in Major League Baseball. The two sluggers played 51 games together for the Seattle Mariners in 1990 and 1991 as baseball's first father-son duo.
The Jameses and the Griffeys met up during pregame warmups for some photos and a warm chat between two remarkable family lines.
LeBron, a four-time NBA champion and a 20-time All-Star, first spoke about his dream to play alongside Bronny a few years ago, while his oldest son was still in high school. The dream became real after Bronny entered the draft as a teenager following one collegiate season, and the Lakers grabbed him with the 55th overall pick.
“It’s been a treat,” LeBron said at Tuesday’s morning shootaround. “In preseason, the practices, just every day ... bringing him up to speed of what this professional life is all about, and how to prepare every day as a professional.”
LeBron and Bronny joined a small club of father-son professional athletes who played together. The Griffeys made history 34 years ago, and they even homered in the same game on Sept. 14, 1990.
Baseball Hall of Famer Tim Raines and his namesake son also accomplished the feat with the Baltimore Orioles in 2001.
In hockey, Gordie Howe played alongside his two sons, Mark and Marty, with the WHA’s Houston Aeros and Team Canada before one NHL season together on the Hartford Whalers in 1979-80, when Gordie was 51.
While the other family pairings on this list happened late in the fathers’ careers, LeBron shows no signs of slowing down or regressing as he begins his NBA record-tying 22nd season.
LeBron averaged more than 25 points per game last year for his 20th consecutive season, and he remains the most important player on the Lakers alongside Anthony Davis as they attempt to recapture the form that won a championship in 2020 and got them to the Western Conference finals in 2023.
Bronny survived cardiac arrest and open heart surgery in the summer of 2023, and he went on to play a truncated freshman season at the University of Southern California. He declared for the draft anyway, and the Lakers eagerly used the fourth-to-last pick in the draft on the 6-foot-2 guard.
LeBron spent the summer in Europe with the gold medal-winning US team at the Paris Olympics, while Bronny played for the Lakers in summer league. They started practicing together with the Lakers before training camp.
The duo first played together in the preseason, logging four minutes during a game against Phoenix just outside Palm Springs earlier this month.
The Lakers were fully aware of the history they would make with this pairing, and coach JJ Redick spoke with the Jameses recently about a plan to make it happen early in the regular season.
The presence of the Griffeys likely made it an inevitability for opening night, even though Redick said the Lakers still wanted it “to happen naturally, in the flow of the game.”
The Lakers have declined to speculate on how long Bronny will stay on their NBA roster. Los Angeles also has point guards D’Angelo Russell, Gabe Vincent and Jalen Hood-Schifino, which likely makes minutes scarce for Bronny, who likely needs regular playing time to raise his game to a consistent NBA standard.
Those factors add up to indicate Bronny is likely to end up with the affiliate South Bay Lakers of the G League at some point soon. LeBron and Redick have both spoken positively about the South Bay team, saying that player development is a key part of the Lakers organization.
Miami forward Kevin Love, who knew all the James children — Bronny, Bryce and Zhuri — from his time as LeBron James’ teammate in Cleveland, said it was “an unbelievable moment” to see father and son playing together.
“I grew up a Mariners fan, so I got to see Griffey and then Griffey Sr. But this is different, because LeBron is still a top-five player in the league,” Love said. “This game, man. It’s why we have that ($76 billion) TV deal. The storylines and the things that happen like this, it’s an unbelievable story. This is really cool to see.”



Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Sinner Sees off Popyrin to Reach Doha Quarters

 Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)
Italy's Jannik Sinner greets the fans after defeating Australia's Alexei Popyrin in their men's singles match at the Qatar Open tennis tournament in Doha on February 18, 2026. (AFP)

Jannik Sinner powered past Alexei Popyrin in straight sets on Wednesday to reach the last eight of the Qatar Open and edge closer to a possible final meeting with Carlos Alcaraz.

The Italian, playing his first tournament since losing to Novak Djokovic in the Australian Open semi-finals last month, eased to a 6-3, 7-5 second-round win in Doha.

Sinner will play Jakub Mensik in Thursday's quarter-finals.

Australian world number 53 Popyrin battled gamely but failed to create a break-point opportunity against his clinical opponent.

Sinner dropped just three points on serve in an excellent first set which he took courtesy of a break in the sixth game.

Popyrin fought hard in the second but could not force a tie-break as Sinner broke to grab a 6-5 lead before confidently serving it out.

World number one Alcaraz takes on Frenchman Valentin Royer in his second-round match later.


Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
TT

Ukraine's Officials to Boycott Paralympics over Russian Flag Decision

Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs
Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics - Skeleton - Interview with Ukraine Youth and Sports minister Matvii Bidnyi - N H Hotel, Milan, Italy - February 12, 2026 Ukraine Youth and Sports Minister Matvii Bidnyi speaks after the disqualification of Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych from the Winter Games. REUTERS/Kevin Coombs

Ukrainian officials will boycott the Paralympic Winter Games, Kyiv said Wednesday, after the International Paralympic Committee allowed Russian athletes to compete under their national flag.

Ukraine also urged other countries to shun next month's Opening Ceremony in Verona on March 6, in part of a growing standoff between Kyiv and international sporting federations four years after Russia invaded.

Six Russians and four Belarusians will be allowed to take part under their own flags at the Milan-Cortina Paralympics rather than as neutral athletes, the Games' governing body confirmed to AFP on Tuesday.

Russia has been mostly banned from international sport since Moscow invaded Ukraine. The IPC's decision triggered fury in Ukraine.

Ukraine's sports minister Matviy Bidny called the decision "outrageous", and accused Russia and Belarus of turning "sport into a tool of war, lies, and contempt."

"Ukrainian public officials will not attend the Paralympic Games. We will not be present at the opening ceremony," he said on social media.

"We will not take part in any other official Paralympic events," he added.

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andriy Sybiga said he had instructed Kyiv's ambassadors to urge other countries to also shun the opening ceremony.

"Allowing the flags of aggressor states to be raised at the Paralympic Games while Russia's war against Ukraine rages on is wrong -- morally and politically," Sybiga said on social media.

The EU's sports commissioner Glenn Micallef said he would also skip the opening ceremony.

- Kyiv demands apology -

The IPC's decision comes amid already heightened tensions between Ukraine and the International Olympic Committee, overseeing the Winter Olympics currently underway.

The IOC banned Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for refusing to ditch a helmet depicting victims of the war with Russia.

Ukraine was further angered that the woman chosen to carry the "Ukraine" name card and lead its team out during the Opening Ceremony of the Games was revealed to be Russian.

Media reports called the woman an anti-Kremlin Russian woman living in Milan for years.

"Picking a Russian person to carry the nameplate is despicable," Kyiv's foreign ministry spokesman Georgiy Tykhy said at a briefing in response to a question by AFP.

He called it a "severe violation of the Olympic Charter" and demanded an apology.

And Kyiv also riled earlier this month at FIFA boss Gianni Infantino saying he believed it was time to reinstate Russia in international football.

- 'War, lies and contempt' -

Valeriy Sushkevych, president of the Ukrainian Paralympic Committee told AFP on Tuesday that Kyiv's athletes would not boycott the Paralympics.

Ukraine traditionally performs strongly at the Winter Paralympics, coming second in the medals table four years ago in Beijing.

"If we do not go, it would mean allowing Putin to claim a victory over Ukrainian Paralympians and over Ukraine by excluding us from the Games," said the 71-year-old in an interview.

"That will not happen!"

Russia was awarded two slots in alpine skiing, two in cross-country skiing and two in snowboarding. The four Belarusian slots are all in cross-country skiing.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said earlier those athletes would be "treated like (those from) any other country".

The IPC unexpectedly lifted its suspension on Russian and Belarusian athletes at the organisation's general assembly in September.


'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
TT

'Not Here for Medals', Nakai Says after Leading Japanese Charge at Olympics

Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Ami Nakai of Japan competes during the women's short program figure skating at the 2026 Winter Olympics, in Milan, Italy, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

Ami Nakai entered her first Olympics insisting she was not here for medals — but after the short program at the Milano Cortina Games, the 17-year-old figure skater found herself at the top, ahead of national icon Kaori Sakamoto and rising star Mone Chiba.

Japan finished first, second, and fourth on Tuesday, cementing a formidable presence heading into the free skate on Thursday. American Alysa Liu finished third.

Nakai's clean, confident skate was anchored by a soaring triple Axel. She approached the moment with an ease unusual for an Olympic debut.

"I'm not here at this Olympics with the goal of achieving a high result, I'm really looking forward to enjoying this Olympics as much as I can, till the very last moment," she said.

"Since this is my first Olympics, I had nothing to lose, and that mindset definitely translated into my results," she said.

Her carefree confidence has unexpectedly put her in medal contention, though she cannot imagine herself surpassing Sakamoto, the three-time world champion who is skating the final chapter of her competitive career. Nakai scored 78.71 points in the short program, ahead of Sakamoto's 77.23.

"There's no way I stand a chance against Kaori right now," Nakai said. "I'm just enjoying these Olympics and trying my best."

Sakamoto, 25, who has said she will retire after these Games, is chasing the one accolade missing from her resume: Olympic gold.

Having already secured a bronze in Beijing in 2022 and team silvers in both Beijing and Milan, she now aims to cap her career with an individual title.

She delivered a polished short program to "Time to Say Goodbye," earning a standing ovation.

Sakamoto later said she managed her nerves well and felt satisfied, adding that having three Japanese skaters in the top four spots "really proves that Japan is getting stronger". She did not feel unnerved about finishing behind Nakai, who also bested her at the Grand Prix de France in October.

"I expected to be surpassed after she landed a triple Axel ... but the most important thing is how much I can concentrate on my own performance, do my best, stay focused for the free skate," she said.

Chiba placed fourth and said she felt energised heading into the free skate, especially after choosing to perform to music from the soundtrack of "Romeo and Juliet" in Italy.

"The rankings are really decided in the free program, so I'll just try to stay calm and focused in the free program and perform my own style without any mistakes," said the 20-year-old, widely regarded as the rising all-rounder whose steady ascent has made her one of Japan's most promising skaters.

All three skaters mentioned how seeing Japanese pair Riku Miura and Ryuichi Kihara deliver a stunning comeback, storming from fifth place after a shaky short program to capture Japan's first Olympic figure skating pairs gold medal, inspired them.

"I was really moved by Riku and Ryuichi last night," Chiba said. "The three of us girls talked about trying to live up to that standard."