Verstappen Bids for 5th Title and Hamilton’s at Ferrari as F1 Prepares for a Close Fight in 2025 

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during a Formula One pre-season test at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain, Friday, Feb. 28, 2025. (AP)
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during a Formula One pre-season test at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain, Friday, Feb. 28, 2025. (AP)
TT

Verstappen Bids for 5th Title and Hamilton’s at Ferrari as F1 Prepares for a Close Fight in 2025 

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during a Formula One pre-season test at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain, Friday, Feb. 28, 2025. (AP)
Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands in action during a Formula One pre-season test at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, Bahrain, Friday, Feb. 28, 2025. (AP)

Lando Norris will have to defy plenty of history to win the Formula 1 title this year.

There's his friend-turned-rival Max Verstappen's bid for a fifth title in a row. Just like the only driver to achieve that feat, Michael Schumacher, Verstappen is a hard racer who isn't afraid to bend the rules — as Norris knows from bitter experience.

Then there's Lewis Hamilton, the seven-time champion going for a record eighth title in 2025. It's his first season with Ferrari, which is itching to end a wait for a drivers' title going back to 2007.

Norris is the under-pressure favorite Norris is widely considered the favorite after he and McLaren had a strong second half of 2024 — though not strong enough to beat Verstappen — but it could be the closest season in years.

McLaren seemed competitive in preseason testing last month, but Norris has to watch out not only for Verstappen and Hamilton, but also for his own teammate Oscar Piastri, Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and Mercedes' George Russell. Five drivers from four different teams won the last six races of 2024.

"As much as we want to believe we’re the best, I guess we still want to feel like we’re underdogs. We have a lot to fight for," Norris said last month. After slipping up from pole position in a few races last season, Norris insists he can thrive as the driver to beat.

"I know, coming into this season that for a lot of people I'm the favorite and as a team we're the favorites," Norris said. "I’ve always done much better under pressure. I’m able to think and to focus much more."

Verstappen shows he's still hungry

Ever since beating Hamilton to the 2021 title in a race that's still controversial, Verstappen has been F1's man to beat.

He's long been clear he doesn't want to stay in F1 into his 40s like Hamilton or Fernando Alonso, so could motivation be a factor in the Dutch driver's bid for a fifth title? Verstappen says last season — when he tested Norris to the limit and sometimes beyond — shows he's still hungry.

"My motivation is there because I think already last year it was not straightforward," Verstappen said. "We had of course good wins, but I guess not as many as we would have liked, but we still won the championship."

After a year when off-track events threatened to overwhelm Verstappen's Red Bull team and his own father sparred with the management, Verstappen seems more settled at the start of his 11th season in F1. The team feels "like a second family," he said last month.

Hamilton aims for title No. 8

Another title for Hamilton would break a tie with Schumacher for the most in F1 history.

The British driver proclaimed himself "invigorated" at F1's glitzy season launch. Expectations from Ferrari's "Tifosi" fans are so high that he could finally bring success to the Italian team that some cut down a tree to better watch Hamilton test the new SF-25 car.

"I know what a winning team looks and feels like," he said last month. "The passion here is like nothing you’ve ever seen. They’ve got absolutely every ingredient they need to win a world championship. And it’s just about putting all the pieces together."

Other contenders for the crown

Mercedes solved long-running car issues to win four of the last 14 races in 2024, including Hamilton's emotional home win at the British Grand Prix. Three-time winner Russell is joined by 18-year-old rookie Andrea Kimi Antonelli, who starts his career with some valuable advice from Hamilton.

If they can't challenge for the podium right away, other teams like Aston Martin might opt to switch focus early to their 2026 cars. Next year brings a big change in the regulations and getting a head-start could pay off for years to come.



Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
TT

Bayern Confirm Davies Suffered Muscle Injury Against Frankfurt

21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa
21 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: Bayern Munich's Alphonso Davies (R) sits injured on the ground during the German Bundesliga soccer match between Bayern Munich and Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena. Photo: Harry Langer/dpa

Bayern Munich defender Alphonso Davies suffered a muscle injury during Saturday's 3-2 win over Eintracht Frankfurt at Allianz Arena, the German club said.

Davies, who recently returned to action after a long-term knee injury, was replaced by Hiroki Ito in the 50th minute after the Canadian collapsed and required ⁠medical treatment.

"Alphonso Davies ⁠suffered a torn muscle fibre in his right hamstring in the 3-2 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt. This was confirmed by ... FC Bayern’s medical unit," ⁠the side said in a statement.

"The defender will be sidelined for the time being."

While the length of Davies' absence remains unconfirmed, manager Vincent Kompany expressed hope he would return within two to four weeks.

"It doesn't look so bad," Kompany said after the match, according to Reuters.

"I ⁠don't ⁠know if it will be two or four weeks," he told reporters. "My gut feeling is that it won't take that long."

Bayern, who are on top of the Bundesliga table with 60 points in 23 games, will face the second-placed Borussia Dortmund next Saturday. 
 


Chelsea, Burnley Condemn Racist Abuse of Fofana, Mejbri

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
TT

Chelsea, Burnley Condemn Racist Abuse of Fofana, Mejbri

Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley
Soccer Football - Premier League - Chelsea v Burnley - Stamford Bridge, London, Britain - February 21, 2026 Chelsea's Wesley Fofana fouls Burnley's James Ward-Prowse before being sent off by referee Lewis Smith Action Images via Reuters/John Sibley

Chelsea defender Wesley Fofana and Burnley midfielder Hannibal Mejbri said they were racially abused on social media following their sides’ 1-1 Premier League draw at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Fofana, who was sent off in the 72nd minute after receiving a second yellow card for a challenge on James Ward-Prowse, shared screenshots of messages he received on Instagram after the match.

"2026, it’s still the same thing, nothing changes," the Frenchman wrote on Instagram, according to Reuters. "These people are never punished. You create big campaigns against racism, but nobody actually does anything."

Chelsea condemned the abuse on their official website.

"Such behavior ⁠is completely unacceptable ⁠and runs counter to the values of the game and everything we stand for as a club. There is no room for racism," they said in a statement.

"We stand unequivocally with Wes. He has our full support, as do all our players, who are too often forced to endure ⁠this hatred simply for doing their job.

"We will work with the relevant authorities and platforms in identifying the perpetrators and take the strongest possible action."

Mejbri, who was fouled for the first of the two yellow cards that led to Fofana’s dismissal, also posted the messages he received on social media.

"Educate yourself and your kids," he wrote in an Instagram story.

Burnley backed the Tunisian in a statement, saying there was no space for racism at the club.

"There is no place for this ⁠in our ⁠society and we condemn it unreservedly," they said on their website.

"The club continues to be unequivocal in its stance – we have a zero-tolerance approach to any form of discrimination.

"The club has reported the post to Instagram’s parent company, Meta, and expects strong support from them, together with the Premier League and the police, and will work to ensure that the individual responsible is identified and investigated."

The draw moved Chelsea into fourth place on goal difference ahead of Michael Carrick’s Manchester United, who face Everton on Monday and could reclaim the position with a win.


Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
TT

Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)

The pressure is on Arsenal after Manchester City cut its lead at the top of the Premier League to two points on Saturday.

Second-place City beat Newcastle 2-1 to turn the heat up on the title race.
Victory at the Etihad Stadium piles the pressure on leader Arsenal ahead of Sunday's north London derby against Tottenham.

Nico O'Reilly scored both goals for Pep Guardiola's team and extended its unbeaten run in the league to five.

“The win was the most important thing. Try to close the gap as well as apply as much pressure as possible, but (I'm) also very happy with the two goals,” The Associated Press quoted O'Reilly as saying. “It’s a lot of games to go, we just need to take each game as it comes.”

City also moved further clear of third-place Aston Villa, which drew 1-1 with Leeds. Chelsea is fourth after a 1-1 draw with Burnley.

City is the team chasing down Arsenal, which has stumbled in recent weeks with only two wins in its last seven.

By contrast, City is finding form at the right time for a title run and ground out victory against Newcastle.

Guardiola and his players appeared to acknowledge how important the result could be as they embraced each other after the final whistle.

The momentum is with City at the top of the standings having cut back Arsenal’s lead, which was nine points earlier this month.

Three straight wins against Liverpool, Fulham and Newcastle have changed the complexion of the title race, while Arsenal has drawn back-to-back games against Brentford and Wolves.

O’Reilly’s 14th minute strike put City ahead against Newcastle, but Lewis Hall leveled in the 22nd.

O’Reilly got his second with a header across goal five minutes later.

City defended deep in the second half as Newcastle went in search of an equalizer and held out for the win.

“We won today, but it’s a step at a time,” said Guardiola. “Seventy percent of the players never played in that situation (challenging for the title), and I don’t play. So we have to live it. They know, we know, that every game until the end of the season will be like this.”

Aston Villa's title challenge was hit after being held to a 1-1 draw at home to relegation-fighting Leeds on Saturday.

It took an 88th-minute equalizer from substitute Tammy Abraham to rescue a point for Villa — but the draw means Unai Emery's team could be cut further adrift of Arsenal and Manchester City at the top of the standings.

“There are two sides — one is that we lost two points, or that we won one point,” Villa coach Unai Emery said. “We have 51 points. Today, we lost two, or we won one. At this point, hopefully, we can get the next matches, understanding this point better.”

Villa's draw leaves it seven points behind Arsenal and continued its shaky recent form of just one win in four in the league.

It could have been worse after Aton Stach put Leeds ahead from free kick in the 31st.

Abraham, a January signing from Besiktas, came on in the 75th and leveled from close range for his first Premier League goal since his move to Villa Park.

Leeds is seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chelsea hit by late goal Zian Flemming scored in the 93rd at Stamford Bridge to salvage a draw for second to last place Burnley.

Joao Pedro's goal in the fourth looked like being enough for the home team, which went down to 10 men when Wesley Fofana was sent off in the 72nd.

“You need to be ruthless in this league because if you don’t defend set plays well then you get punished," Chelsea coach Liam Rosenior said. “I felt we were very happy — and it’s not the way I want to play — just to maintain possession, I want us to go for more goals."

The point moved Chelsea up to fourth — above Manchester United on goal difference, having played a game more. But the race for Champions League qualification could be even tighter by the end of the weekend with Liverpool now having the chance to move level on points with Chelsea if it beats Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

United plays Everton on Monday.

James Milner played his 654th game in the Premier League to set a new appearance record for the competition.

The 40-year-old Milner surpassed the previous benchmark set by Gareth Barry, which had stood since 2018. And he doesn't sound like he's ready to call it a day yet.

"I’ll keep pushing, let’s see where that takes us,” Milner said after Brighton's 2-0 win, which delivered a setback to Brentford's Champions League challenge.

Goals from Diego Gomez and Danny Welbeck put Brighton in control before the break at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Brentford is five points off the Champions League places.

Adams returns from injury US international Tyler Adams was back on the field for Bournemouth — making his first appearance since tearing his left MCL on Dec. 15.

Adams was in the starting lineup for the 0-0 draw against West Ham and played for 66 minutes before being replaced by Ryan Christie.

It’s now just one loss in six for West Ham as its battle to avoid the drop continues to gain momentum.

West Ham, in 17th, is two points away from safety, but has played a game more than its closest rival Forest.