Hamilton Wants a Faster Ferrari to Challenge McLaren at F1's Sprint Weekend in China 

Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)
Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)
TT

Hamilton Wants a Faster Ferrari to Challenge McLaren at F1's Sprint Weekend in China 

Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)
Scuderia Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain in action during the Practice Session for the Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, at the Shanghai International Circuit in Shanghai, China, 21 March 2025. (EPA)

McLaren's dominance, Lewis Hamilton's bid to bounce back after a disappointing debut for Ferrari, and the death of Eddie Jordan have generated headlines as Formula 1 prepares for its first Sprint weekend of the season at the Chinese Grand Prix.

Lando Norris arrived in Shanghai atop the drivers' standings for the first time following his win at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix last Sunday, but it was his qualifying pace for McLaren — and not just holding off Red Bull's Max Verstappen — that had his rivals on edge ahead of practice.

McLaren's pace

Mercedes driver George Russell went so far as to say McLaren could win every race this season, describing its raw pace advantage as "bigger than Red Bull has ever had". But while Norris' teammate Oscar Piastri strongly refuted the claim — stating the form would change between rounds – the rest of the paddock wasn't so sure.

"They're definitely ahead," Ferrari's Charles Leclerc said. "The gap in qualifying, the gap that there was (in Australia, 0.385sec to the nearest non-McLaren) is more or less what there is."

"I think we are around Mercedes and Red Bull in terms of lap times if we put everything together," Leclerc said, "so there's still a big chunk to get McLaren then."

Norris and McLaren lived up to the hype when the British driver finished first in the opening practice session Friday. He finished almost half a second ahead of Leclerc.

Norris spent most of the session finding the limits of his McLaren car, with various off-track excursions while his rivals traded times at the top. But the title aspirant showed his hand near the end with a 0.454-second advantage.

Piastri was third, with his last lap compromised after he went wide at the final turn 16. Hamilton looked more comfortable up in fourth, ahead of early pacesetter Russell, who closed out the top five.

Alpine's Jack Doohan provided the major drama of the session with 15 minutes remaining following a power steering issue that forced him to stop out on track at the exit of turn 10. The Australian is under pressure at Alpine, following a lap-one crash in Melbourne.

It's unclear if a new technical directive will shuffle the order in China, with FIA, the sport's governing body, cracking down on rear wing flexing with a tougher static load test.

None of the drivers were forthcoming, as to what triggered the FIA's new interpretation, or who it was most expected to impact.

"We don't have to change anything," Norris said. "Ours is fine. In fact, ours was probably too good, and we probably weren't pushing the limits enough. If this technical directive had been applied last weekend, we would've been fine.

"It seems to be directed (at) other teams, which probably means we should push it a little bit more."

Hamilton primed for improvement

For seven-time world champion Hamilton, China is a chance for a reset after a difficult Ferrari debut at Melbourne's Albert Park last weekend, where he qualified eighth, briefly took the lead, but couldn't hold onto it because of the team's tire strategy.

But the 40-year-old, who is F1's most successful driver with a record 105 GP wins and 104 pole positions, says he still needs more time to bring the full force of his experience to his new team.

"As I get more comfortable and more knowledgeable about the car, I can start making more decisions," Hamilton said of his preferred set up. "I'm having those discussions, and I'm going to lean a little bit more with adding my experience hopefully a bit more in it."

Hamilton is hopeful that the Australian GP was an outlier for him and for Ferrari.

"I hope so," he said. "I think our car looked pretty decent on Friday (in Australia) and even on Saturday morning. So, I think it's a bit of a one-off."

Another tough test for F1's rookies

China's Sprint weekend format will be another challenge for F1's six rookies. The track has been completely resurfaced and there's just one practice session, making it more difficult to get a baseline setup before Sprint qualifying.

Mercedes rookie Andrea Kimi Antonelli said it feels like a return to F2, with its compacted schedule, but the Italian knows what he has to do

"You want to finish free practice and say 'Okay, like I got to a good level of driving. I'm not so far from the limit and I know where I have to make the step for qualifying,'" Antonelli said. "The important thing is going to be to get as close as possible to the limit without making any big mistakes."

At Racing Bulls, Isack Hadjar is ready to put the pain of Melbourne behind him, having put his car into the Turn 2 barrier on the formation lap.

In the aftermath of his crash, Hadjar was seen walking back to the garage crying with his hands up to his helmet. Red Bull motorsport consultant Doctor Helmut Marko said it was embarrassing, but Hamilton's father, Anthony, sought Hadjar out for some reassuring words.

"It was a nice moment, sharing time with someone like Anthony as well — obviously, the dad of my idol," Hadjar said. "So that was quite a special moment. And Lewis sent me a message later that day. Really classy guys."

RIP Eddie Jordan

Sadness descended on the F1 community on Thursday with news that ex-team owner Eddie Jordan had died.

Beloved throughout the sport "EJ" ran the Jordan team from 1991 to 2005. His humor, strong opinions and deep contacts made Jordan a popular media pundit after he sold the team – with his most recent project being the "Formula for Success" podcast he co-hosted with ex-F1 driver David Coulthard.

The 76-year-old Jordan also acted as the manager for design great Adrian Newey when he left Red Bull for Aston Martin last year.

Jordan was undergoing cancer treatment before he died. His family issued a statement, published by rugby club London Irish, where Jordan was a patron, to say he "passed away peacefully with family by his side in Cape Town."

Sky Sports commentator Martin Brundle, who drove for Jordan in 1996, led the emotional tributes from the sport.

"What a character. What a rock star. What a racer," Brundle posted on social media. "So many drivers owe you so much, you gave us our chances and believed in us."

Racing The first Sprint weekend for 2025 begins at the Shanghai International Circuit on Friday, with sprint qualifying set at 3.30 p.m. (0730 GMT) ahead of Saturday's race.



Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
TT

Man City Keeps Pressure on Premier League Leader Arsenal with Win over Newcastle

Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)
Manchester City players celebrate the second goal (EPA)

The pressure is on Arsenal after Manchester City cut its lead at the top of the Premier League to two points on Saturday.

Second-place City beat Newcastle 2-1 to turn the heat up on the title race.
Victory at the Etihad Stadium piles the pressure on leader Arsenal ahead of Sunday's north London derby against Tottenham.

Nico O'Reilly scored both goals for Pep Guardiola's team and extended its unbeaten run in the league to five.

“The win was the most important thing. Try to close the gap as well as apply as much pressure as possible, but (I'm) also very happy with the two goals,” The Associated Press quoted O'Reilly as saying. “It’s a lot of games to go, we just need to take each game as it comes.”

City also moved further clear of third-place Aston Villa, which drew 1-1 with Leeds. Chelsea is fourth after a 1-1 draw with Burnley.

City is the team chasing down Arsenal, which has stumbled in recent weeks with only two wins in its last seven.

By contrast, City is finding form at the right time for a title run and ground out victory against Newcastle.

Guardiola and his players appeared to acknowledge how important the result could be as they embraced each other after the final whistle.

The momentum is with City at the top of the standings having cut back Arsenal’s lead, which was nine points earlier this month.

Three straight wins against Liverpool, Fulham and Newcastle have changed the complexion of the title race, while Arsenal has drawn back-to-back games against Brentford and Wolves.

O’Reilly’s 14th minute strike put City ahead against Newcastle, but Lewis Hall leveled in the 22nd.

O’Reilly got his second with a header across goal five minutes later.

City defended deep in the second half as Newcastle went in search of an equalizer and held out for the win.

“We won today, but it’s a step at a time,” said Guardiola. “Seventy percent of the players never played in that situation (challenging for the title), and I don’t play. So we have to live it. They know, we know, that every game until the end of the season will be like this.”

Aston Villa's title challenge was hit after being held to a 1-1 draw at home to relegation-fighting Leeds on Saturday.

It took an 88th-minute equalizer from substitute Tammy Abraham to rescue a point for Villa — but the draw means Unai Emery's team could be cut further adrift of Arsenal and Manchester City at the top of the standings.

“There are two sides — one is that we lost two points, or that we won one point,” Villa coach Unai Emery said. “We have 51 points. Today, we lost two, or we won one. At this point, hopefully, we can get the next matches, understanding this point better.”

Villa's draw leaves it seven points behind Arsenal and continued its shaky recent form of just one win in four in the league.

It could have been worse after Aton Stach put Leeds ahead from free kick in the 31st.

Abraham, a January signing from Besiktas, came on in the 75th and leveled from close range for his first Premier League goal since his move to Villa Park.

Leeds is seven points clear of the relegation zone.

Chelsea hit by late goal Zian Flemming scored in the 93rd at Stamford Bridge to salvage a draw for second to last place Burnley.

Joao Pedro's goal in the fourth looked like being enough for the home team, which went down to 10 men when Wesley Fofana was sent off in the 72nd.

“You need to be ruthless in this league because if you don’t defend set plays well then you get punished," Chelsea coach Liam Rosenior said. “I felt we were very happy — and it’s not the way I want to play — just to maintain possession, I want us to go for more goals."

The point moved Chelsea up to fourth — above Manchester United on goal difference, having played a game more. But the race for Champions League qualification could be even tighter by the end of the weekend with Liverpool now having the chance to move level on points with Chelsea if it beats Nottingham Forest on Sunday.

United plays Everton on Monday.

James Milner played his 654th game in the Premier League to set a new appearance record for the competition.

The 40-year-old Milner surpassed the previous benchmark set by Gareth Barry, which had stood since 2018. And he doesn't sound like he's ready to call it a day yet.

"I’ll keep pushing, let’s see where that takes us,” Milner said after Brighton's 2-0 win, which delivered a setback to Brentford's Champions League challenge.

Goals from Diego Gomez and Danny Welbeck put Brighton in control before the break at the Gtech Community Stadium.

Brentford is five points off the Champions League places.

Adams returns from injury US international Tyler Adams was back on the field for Bournemouth — making his first appearance since tearing his left MCL on Dec. 15.

Adams was in the starting lineup for the 0-0 draw against West Ham and played for 66 minutes before being replaced by Ryan Christie.

It’s now just one loss in six for West Ham as its battle to avoid the drop continues to gain momentum.

West Ham, in 17th, is two points away from safety, but has played a game more than its closest rival Forest.


Hamilton Says He Forgot Who He Was but Has Re-Set for New Season

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Hamilton Says He Forgot Who He Was but Has Re-Set for New Season

Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)
Ferrari's British driver Lewis Hamilton drives on the second day of the Formula One pre-season testing at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir on February 19, 2026. (AFP)

Ferrari's Lewis Hamilton has ‌admitted he "forgot who I was" but is now excited for the new Formula One season and ready to go racing again.

In a defiant message posted on Instagram, the seven times world champion made clear he was fully motivated again after a disappointing first season with the Italian team.

"I love this job so much and I love working with my team and driving ‌for the fans," ‌said the 41-year-old Briton, who ‌joined ⁠Ferrari from Mercedes ⁠last year amid much initial fanfare.

"I'm incredibly lucky to be able to do what I do, and I'm excited for the season ahead.

"I'm re-set and refreshed. I'm not going anywhere, so stick with me. For a moment, I forgot ⁠who I was, but thanks to ‌you and your support ‌you're not going to see that mindset again. I ‌know what needs to be done. This ‌is going to be one hell of a season."

The most successful driver in Formula One history had the worst season of his career last year, failing ‌to get on the podium in 24 races and sounding increasingly gloomy.

Ferrari also ⁠failed ⁠to win a race in 2025 but have looked strong in testing in Bahrain this month, with Hamilton's teammate Charles Leclerc fastest in this week's final session before the cars are flown to Australia for the first race on March 8.

Andrea Stella, the boss of champions McLaren, told reporters on Friday that he saw Mercedes and Ferrari as the teams to beat.

"McLaren and Red Bull probably very similar, Ferrari and Mercedes a step ahead," he said.


Juventus End Bad Week with 2-0 Loss Against Como

Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Juventus End Bad Week with 2-0 Loss Against Como

Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)
Juventus' players leave the pitch at the end of the Italian Serie A football match between Juventus and Como at the Allianz stadium in Turin on February 21, 2026. (AFP)

Juventus blew their chance of climbing into the Champions League places in Serie A as they slumped to a 2-0 defeat at home to Como on Saturday.

A win would have lifted Juve above fourth-placed Napoli but, Juventus, thrashed 5-2 at Galatasaray in the first leg of the Champions League play-offs in midweek, they had no answer to the ambition of Como who moved one point behind them in sixth.

The visitors, who drew with AC Milan on Wednesday, were in front after just 11 minutes when Juve gave the ball away in midfield.

Anastasios Douvikas collected and played in Mergim Vojvoda on the right.

The Kosovar cut inside before unleashing a left-footed shot from 18 meters out. Michele Di Gregorio got a hand on it but couldn't prevent it hitting the back of the Juve net.

The second came just after the hour when Como counter-attacked from a poorly taken Juventus corner.

Maximo Perrone carried the ball all the way up the pitch before spotting Lucas Da Cunha on the right making a run into the box.

The captain drilled a low cross to Maxence Caqueret on the edge of the six-yard box who tapped into an empty net.

Victory at Lecce later on Saturday would give leaders Inter Milan a 10-point lead over AC Milan, who host Parma on Sunday.