Mateta Returns for Crystal Palace Just Weeks after Needing 25 Stitches on Ear

Football - FA Cup - Quarterfinal - Fulham v Crystal Palace - Craven Cottage, London, Britain - March 29, 2025 Crystal Palace's Jean-Philippe Mateta celebrates after the match. (Reuters)
Football - FA Cup - Quarterfinal - Fulham v Crystal Palace - Craven Cottage, London, Britain - March 29, 2025 Crystal Palace's Jean-Philippe Mateta celebrates after the match. (Reuters)
TT
20

Mateta Returns for Crystal Palace Just Weeks after Needing 25 Stitches on Ear

Football - FA Cup - Quarterfinal - Fulham v Crystal Palace - Craven Cottage, London, Britain - March 29, 2025 Crystal Palace's Jean-Philippe Mateta celebrates after the match. (Reuters)
Football - FA Cup - Quarterfinal - Fulham v Crystal Palace - Craven Cottage, London, Britain - March 29, 2025 Crystal Palace's Jean-Philippe Mateta celebrates after the match. (Reuters)

Jean-Philippe Mateta made his Crystal Palace return Saturday for the first time since sustaining a serious head injury that required 25 stitches on a severely lacerated ear.

The forward was hospitalized after being kicked in the head by Millwall goalkeeper Liam Roberts in an FA Cup match earlier this month.

He has been out of action since then but was back in Palace's starting lineup for the 3-0 win against Fulham in the Cup quarterfinal.

Wearing a protective covering on his ear, Mateta played for 70 minutes before being replaced by Eddie Nketiah.

Mateta was injured when Roberts rushed outside the 18-yard box to clear a long ball and struck the France striker in the side of the face with a high boot. The goalkeeper was sent off, while Mateta left the field on a stretcher and was taken to a hospital.

Palace chairman Steve Parish said it was "the most reckless challenge on a football pitch I think I’ve ever seen."

Roberts' initial three-game ban was extended to six games after the English Football Association called for extra punishment. The goalkeeper later revealed he'd received abusive messages and threats.

"Liam contacted me and texted me while I was in hospital and I told him: ‘It is OK, it is football,’" Mateta said in an interview with Sky Sports. "He apologized. He was worried."

"I don’t think he woke up and thought ‘I want to cut the head of JP.’ There is a lot of pressure. He wanted to do good, too much emotion makes you do crazy things. It was just a mistake. You learn from it."



Ancelotti Optimistic Courtois Will Be Ready for Arsenal amid Madrid Keeper Crisis

Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)
Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)
TT
20

Ancelotti Optimistic Courtois Will Be Ready for Arsenal amid Madrid Keeper Crisis

Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)
Football - LaLiga - Real Madrid Press Conference - Ciudad Real Madrid, Valdebebas, Madrid, Spain - April 4, 2025 Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti during press conference, a day after his trial for alleged tax fraud ended. (Reuters)

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti is confident that goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will be fit for Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg against Arsenal.

The Belgium international has battled several injuries this season and was absent for the last two matches, with Andriy Lunin standing in.

While Real's LaLiga match against Valencia on Saturday might come too soon for Courtois, Ancelotti believes the keeper will be available for the clash at Arsenal.

"There’s no concern. Courtois is much better, we believe he can make it to Tuesday," Ancelotti told reporters on Friday.

Lunin, however, could be out, with Spanish media reporting that the Ukrainian has sustained a calf muscle tear after the second leg of Spanish Cup semi-final against Real Sociedad on Tuesday.

"We have a doubt about Lunin, who will be tested today," the Real manager added.

With both Courtois and Lunin sidelined, it is likely that 19-year-old Fran Gonzalez will be in goal against Valencia.

"He's a great goalkeeper; his only problem is that he's young. If his time comes tomorrow, we'll be very happy for him, because we're all convinced he has a great future. No worries on our part," Ancelotti said.

Real are still in contention for a treble, trailing LaLiga leaders Barcelona by three points and set to face them in the Copa del Rey final at the end of the month.

"We’re doing well. Obviously, with some doubts due to the effort of extra time (against Real Sociedad). But the team is motivated," Ancelotti said.

"We have to be optimistic and believe we can do it. We’re very close in every competition, and we’re confident."