PSG Facing Injury Crisis as Barcelona Present First Big Test

Georgian star Khvicha Kvaratskhelia came off prematurely during Paris Saint-Germain's win over Auxerre in Ligue 1 at the weekend. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File
Georgian star Khvicha Kvaratskhelia came off prematurely during Paris Saint-Germain's win over Auxerre in Ligue 1 at the weekend. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File
TT

PSG Facing Injury Crisis as Barcelona Present First Big Test

Georgian star Khvicha Kvaratskhelia came off prematurely during Paris Saint-Germain's win over Auxerre in Ligue 1 at the weekend. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File
Georgian star Khvicha Kvaratskhelia came off prematurely during Paris Saint-Germain's win over Auxerre in Ligue 1 at the weekend. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File

Paris Saint-Germain face their biggest test of the season so far when the Champions League title-holders visit Barcelona this week, but Luis Enrique's side come into the game in the midst of an injury crisis affecting several of their biggest stars.

The headline absentee is Ousmane Dembele, fresh from winning the Ballon d'Or last week as recognition for his magnificent 2024/25 campaign, in which the France winger scored 35 goals, AFP said.

How Dembele would have loved to come up against the Catalans, the club he left in 2023 after six years in which he showed moments of brilliance but struggled for consistency -- and with injuries.

The 28-year-old could have taken on Lamine Yamal, the teenager who he pipped to the Ballon d'Or award but who did win the Kopa Trophy for the best player in the world last season aged under 21.

But Dembele is still recovering from a thigh injury picked up on international duty with France at the beginning of the month, and is not expected back for at least another couple of weeks.

"It is going well. I will be back very soon," Dembele told French television after taking the acclaim of the PSG support with the Ballon d'Or trophy following Saturday's 2-0 win against Auxerre.

Coach Luis Enrique has also been missing Desire Doue, the thrilling 20-year-old attacker who finished second to Yamal in the Kopa Trophy ranking -- he has not played since suffering a calf injury on France duty at the same time as Dembele.

Then there is center-back and captain Marquinhos and all-action Portuguese midfielder Joao Neves, who are nursing thigh and hamstring injuries respectively.

Playmaker Vitinha, third in the Ballon d'Or, came off before half-time at the weekend while Khvicha Kvaratskhelia was withdrawn at the interval.

PSG's hope is that both players were taken off early enough to prevent any lasting damage, but suddenly Luis Enrique's options are being drastically reduced.

"We have to stay positive because we need to be able to manage this situation," the coach, a former Barcelona player and manager, said on Saturday after the win against Auxerre.

"Paris Saint-Germain are not the only team with injuries. It is the case for every team with such an intense calendar."

Too many games catching up

The Parisians played 65 games during 2024/25, in a season spanning 11 months. That included 17 matches in the Champions League and seven in the Club World Cup, where their marathon campaign concluded with a 3-0 loss to Chelsea in mid-July.

It seems the effort is catching up with individual players: Dembele has played 99 games for PSG since signing just over two years ago, and 20 for France over the same period.

Vitinha has made 113 appearances for PSG since the start of 2023/24 and 21 more for Portugal.

For PSG's star right-back Achraf Hakimi the figure over the same time is 131 games between club and country -- and he has the Africa Cup of Nations coming up this season as well as the World Cup next year.

Luis Enrique needs to give these players more of a rest, and figures within football insist too many games damages the product.

"We think club owners are beginning to realize that this is bad for business," pointed out Alex Phillips, the secretary general of FIFPro, last week.

A Champions League showdown between the Spanish champions and the reigning French and European champions is the sort of stage on which the newly-crowned best player on the planet should be featuring.

Instead PSG may need to dig deep into their resources, although their squad depth is being exposed as perhaps not as strong as it needed to be.

Despite that Luis Enrique's side head to Catalonia off the back of a big 4-0 win against Atalanta in their European opener a fortnight ago.

In any case, a defeat here may not prove to be a big setback in terms of achieving their main goal of reaching the knockout stage -- after all, there will be more than enough games remaining in the league phase.



PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
TT

PSG’s Mental Strength Hailed as they Come from Behind to Win at Monaco

Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz
Soccer Football - UEFA Champions League - Play Off - First Leg - AS Monaco v Paris St Germain - Stade Louis II, Monaco - February 17, 2026 Paris St Germain coach Luis Enrique reacts REUTERS/Manon Cruz

Paris Saint-Germain coach Luis ‌Enrique hailed the mental strength of his side in coming from two goals down to win 3-2 away at Monaco in the Champions League on Tuesday, but warned the knockout round tie was far from finished.

The first leg clash between the two Ligue 1 clubs saw Folarin Balogun score twice for the hosts in the opening 18 minutes before Vitinha had his penalty saved to compound matters.

But after Desire Doue came on for injured Ousmane Dembele, the ‌match turned ‌and defending champions PSG went on to ‌secure ⁠a one-goal advantage ⁠for the return leg.

"Normally, when a team starts a match like that, the most likely outcome is a loss,” Reuters quoted Luis Enrique as saying.

“It was catastrophic. It's impossible to start a match like that. The first two times they overcame our pressure and entered our half, they scored. They ⁠made some very good plays.

“After that, it's difficult ‌to have confidence, but we ‌showed our mental strength. Plus, we missed a penalty, so ‌it was a chance to regain confidence. In the ‌last six times we've played here, this is only the second time we've won, which shows how difficult it is.”

The 20-year-old Doue scored twice and provided a third for Achraf Hakimi, just ‌days after he had turned in a poor performance against Stade Rennais last Friday ⁠and was ⁠dropped for the Monaco clash.

“I'm happy for him because this past week, everyone criticized and tore Doue apart, but he was sensational, he showed his character. He helped the team at the best possible time.”

Dembele’s injury would be assessed, the coach added. “He took a knock in the first 15 minutes, then he couldn't run.”

The return leg at the Parc des Princes will be next Wednesday. “Considering how the match started, I'm happy with the result. But the match in Paris will be difficult, it will be a different story,” Luis Enrique warned.


Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TT

Mbappe Calls for Prestianni Ban over Alleged Racist Slur at Vinicius

TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)
TOPSHOT - Real Madrid's French forward #10 Kylian Mbappe talks with SL Benfica's Portuguese head coach Jose Mourinho during the UEFA Champions League knockout round play-off first leg football match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF at Estadio da Luz in Lisbon on February 17, 2026. (Photo by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA / AFP)

Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe said Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni should be banned from the Champions League after the Argentine was accused of directing a racist slur at Vinicius Jr during the Spanish side's 1-0 playoff first-leg win on Tuesday.

Denying the accusation, Prestianni said the Brazilian misheard him.

The incident occurred shortly after Vinicius had curled Real into the lead five minutes into the second half in Lisbon.

Television footage showed the Argentine winger covering his mouth with his shirt before making a comment that Vinicius and nearby teammates interpreted as a racial ‌slur against ‌the 25-year-old, with referee Francois Letexier halting the match for ‌11 ⁠minutes after activating ⁠FIFA's anti-racism protocols.

The footage appeared to show an outraged Mbappe calling Prestianni "a bloody racist" to his face, Reuters reported.

The atmosphere grew hostile after play resumed, with Vinicius and Mbappe loudly booed by the home crowd whenever they touched the ball. Despite the rising tensions, the players were able to close out the game without further interruptions.

"I want to clarify that at no time did I direct racist insults to Vini Jr, ⁠who regrettably misunderstood what he thought he heard," Prestianni wrote ‌on his Instagram account.

"I was never racist with ‌anyone and I regret the threats I received from Real Madrid players."

Mbappe told reporters he ‌heard Prestianni direct the same racist remark at Vinicius several times, an allegation ‌also levelled by Real's French midfielder Aurelien Tchouamen.

Mbappe said he had been prepared to leave the pitch but was persuaded by Vinicius to continue playing.

"We cannot accept that there is a player in Europe's top football competition who behaves like this. This guy (Prestianni) doesn't ‌deserve to play in the Champions League anymore," Mbappe told reporters.

"We have to set an example for all the children ⁠watching us at ⁠home. What happened today is the kind of thing we cannot accept because the world is watching us.

When asked whether Prestianni had apologized, Mbappe laughed.

"Of course not," he said.

Vinicius later posted a statement on social media voicing his frustration.

"Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to cover their mouth with their shirt to show how weak they are. But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them. Nothing that happened today is new in my life or my family's life," Vinicius wrote.

The Brazilian has faced repeated racist abuse in Spain, with 18 legal complaints filed against racist behavior targeting Vinicius since 2022.

Real Madrid and Benfica will meet again for the second leg next Wednesday at the Bernabeu.


Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
TT

Second Season of ‘Kings League–Middle East' to Kick off in March in Riyadh 

The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)
The second season of the Kings League-Middle East will kick off in Riyadh on March 27. (Kings League-Middle East on X)

The Kings League-Middle East announced that its second season will kick off in Riyadh on March 27.

The season will feature 10 teams, compared to eight in the inaugural edition, under a format that combines sporting competition with digital engagement and includes the participation of several content creators from across the region.

The Kings League-Middle East is organized in partnership with SURJ Sports Investments, a subsidiary of the Public Investment Fund (PIF), as part of efforts to support the development of innovative sports models that integrate football with digital entertainment.

Seven teams will return for the second season: DR7, ABO FC, FWZ, Red Zone, Turbo, Ultra Chmicha, and 3BS. Three additional teams are set to be announced before the start of the competition.

Matches of the second season will be held at Cool Arena in Riyadh under a single round-robin format, with the top-ranked teams advancing to the knockout stages, culminating in the final match.

The inaugural edition recorded strong attendance and wide digital engagement, with approximately a million viewers following the live broadcasts on television and digital platforms.