Isak Injury Leaves Slot Counting Cost of Liverpool Win at Spurs

 Liverpool's Alexander Isak reacts after sustaining an injury during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham and Liverpool in London, Saturday, Dec. 20, 2025. (AP)
Liverpool's Alexander Isak reacts after sustaining an injury during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham and Liverpool in London, Saturday, Dec. 20, 2025. (AP)
TT

Isak Injury Leaves Slot Counting Cost of Liverpool Win at Spurs

 Liverpool's Alexander Isak reacts after sustaining an injury during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham and Liverpool in London, Saturday, Dec. 20, 2025. (AP)
Liverpool's Alexander Isak reacts after sustaining an injury during the English Premier League soccer match between Tottenham and Liverpool in London, Saturday, Dec. 20, 2025. (AP)

Arne Slot was left to count the cost of Liverpool's chaotic 2-1 win at nine-man Tottenham after Alexander Isak's rare goal was followed by a potentially damaging injury.

Isak fired Liverpool into a second-half lead in north London with a clinical finish, only to limp off moments later after being injured by Micky van de Ven's failed attempt to stop him scoring.

The Sweden striker's third goal for Liverpool since his British record £125 million ($166 million) move from Newcastle on transfer deadline day had offered hope that he was finally set to live up to his hefty price tag.

Instead, Reds boss Slot now faces an anxious wait to determine how long the 26-year-old will be sidelined with his ankle problem.

Slot would only say that Isak's injury was "not a good thing".

It could not have come at a worse time for fifth-placed Liverpool after Egypt forward Mohamed Salah's departure to the Africa Cup of Nations and an injury to Dutch winger Cody Gakpo.

Adding to Slot's fitness issues, Isak only came off the bench at half-time after right-back Conor Bradley was injured.

Although Liverpool are unbeaten in their last six games in all competitions -- winning three in a row -- the brief flicker of promise engendered by the sight of Hugo Ekitike, Florian Wirtz and Isak combining for the opening goal was quickly snuffed out.

The trio cost around £300 million to bring to Anfield in the close-season, with only Ekitike, the least expensive of the group, living up to the hype during the Premier League champions' troubled first half of the season.

French striker Ekitike maintained his strong start to life with Liverpool by heading their second goal against Tottenham.

But even then, Liverpool made heavy weather of it as Tottenham, already down to 10 men after Xavi Simons' first-half dismissal for a crude foul on Virgil van Dijk, pulled one back through Richarlison in the closing stages.

Tottenham captain Cristian Romero's stoppage-time dismissal for a needless second booking after he kicked Ibrahima Konate let Liverpool off the hook just as they looked set to blow the lead in a frenzied finale.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Slot said: "A good goal (for Isak), assisted by Florian Wirtz, and I said last week already players are getting better, the team is getting better.

"I thought to be honest with nine, we will probably be able then to keep them away from our goal, but it looked as if we were down to nine and they were on 11 because it was attack after attack after attack.

"Again, it wasn't perfect, especially not in the last 10 minutes but in the meantime, we pick up points and I see the team developing in a way I like to see."

Meanwhile, under-fire Tottenham boss Thomas Frank blasted referee John Brooks.

Frank was furious with Simons' red card -- which was upgraded from a booking after a VAR review -- and the failure to disallow Ekitike's goal for a push on Romero.

"I don't like this as a red card. I think the game is probably too big to say gone, but for me it's not reckless and it's not exceptional force," said Frank, whose side are languishing in 13th place.

"He is chasing Van Dijk. He is trying to put pressure and then he changes direction. Unfortunately, his foot is on Achilles. You can say 'Ah, you need to be smarter, don't do it and all that' but so are we not allowed to have physical contact anymore?

"The second goal is a mistake from the referee. There are two hands in the back. I don't understand how you can do that.

"I think that was the biggest mistake in my opinion and from VAR but apparently that was not enough."



FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
TT

FIFA to Lead $75m Palestinian Soccer Rebuilding Fund

President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP
President of FIFA Gianni Infantino attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's 'Board of Peace'. CHIP SOMODEVILLA / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP

FIFA will spearhead a $75 million fund to rebuild soccer facilities in Gaza that were destroyed by the war between Israel and Hamas, President Donald Trump and the sport's governing body said Thursday.

Trump made the announcement in Washington at the first meeting of his "Board of Peace," an amorphous institution that features two dozen of the US president's close allies and is initially focused on rebuilding the Gaza strip, said AFP.

"I'm also pleased to announce that FIFA will be helping to raise a total of $75 million for projects in Gaza," said Trump.

"And I think they're soccer related, where you're doing fields and you're getting the greatest stars in the world to go there -- people that are bigger stars than you and I, Gianni," he added, referring to FIFA president Gianni Infantino, who was present at the event.

"So it's really something. We'll soon be detailing the announcement, and if I can do I'll get over there with you," Trump said.

Later Thursday, FIFA issued a statement providing more details, including plans to construct a football academy, a new 20,000-seat national stadium and dozens of pitches.

The FIFA communique did not mention Trump's $75 million figure, and said funds would be raised "from international leaders and institutions."

Infantino has fostered close ties with Trump, awarding him an inaugural FIFA "Peace Prize" at the World Cup draw in December.

At Thursday's meeting, the FIFA president donned a red baseball cap emblazoned with "USA" and "45-47," the latter a reference to Trump's two terms in the White House.

In FIFA's statement, Infantino hailed "a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas."

The "Board of Peace" came together after the Trump administration, teaming up with Qatar and Egypt, negotiated a ceasefire in October to halt two years of devastating war in Gaza.

The United States says it is now focused on disarming Hamas -- the Palestinian group whose unprecedented October 7, 2023, attack on Israel triggered the massive offensive.


Arsenal Aim to Banish Title Jitters in Spurs Showdown 

Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
TT

Arsenal Aim to Banish Title Jitters in Spurs Showdown 

Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
Football - Premier League - Wolverhampton Wanderers v Arsenal - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, Britain - February 18, 2026 Arsenal's William Saliba and Arsenal's Gabriel Magalhaes react after Wolverhampton Wanderers' Tom Edozie scored their second goal. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)

Arsenal must banish their untimely bout of title race anxiety as the wobbling Premier League leaders head to Tottenham for the north London derby.

Manchester City can pile pressure on the Gunners with a win against Newcastle, while Michael Carrick heads to Everton aiming to bolster his bid to become Manchester United's permanent manager.

AFP Sport looks at three talking points ahead of this weekend's action:

Saka expects Arsenal to hit back

Defiant Arsenal forward Bukayo Saka is adamant his side will eventually "get over the line" and end their trophy drought.

Mikel Arteta's men are in danger of blowing a commanding position in the title race after successive draws against Brentford and Wolves left them with just two wins in their last seven league matches.

The Gunners squandered the lead in both matches, with Wednesday's 2-2 draw at bottom of the table Wolves especially galling as they conceded a stoppage-time equalizer having led 2-0.

Arsenal are five points clear of second-placed Manchester City, but Pep Guardiola's team have a game in hand and will host the leaders in April.

After allowing City to overhaul them in the 2023 and 2024 title races, the north Londoners, who haven't won silverware since the 2020 FA Cup, face pointed questions about their ability to handle the mounting tension.

Saka knows Arsenal must silence the doubters by getting back on track at arch rivals Tottenham on Sunday.

"I believe the next few years are going to be the years that we get over the line, and we're able to win trophies and make history for this club," Saka said.

"We're back where we belong, fighting for everything."

Man City 'on the hunt'

Tijjani Reijnders has warned Arsenal that Manchester City are primed to pounce after the leaders allowed them back into the title race.

Victories over Liverpool and Fulham have put City in position to capitalize on Arsenal's slump.

Pep Guardiola's side will move two points behind Arsenal if they beat Newcastle at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday, putting extra heat on the leaders before the north London derby 24 hours later.

"The mood's been good, but it was also good before. Of course we've dropped some points as well, but it's good and we are on the hunt and we keep going," Reijnders said.

"We have to see of course, but if we keep going like this, who knows?"

Carrick has Man Utd on the rise

Wayne Rooney has backed Manchester United interim manager Michael Carrick to take the job on a permanent basis.

Former United midfielder Carrick was appointed until the end of the season after Ruben Amorim's sacking in January.

He made a dream start as United beat Manchester City 2-0 in his first game in charge and followed up with a 3-2 win at Arsenal.

Four wins and a draw in his first five games at the helm have lifted United into fourth place ahead of their trip to Everton on Monday.

Rooney, United's all-time leading goalscorer, believes his former team-mate could be the one to finally stabilize a troubled club that hasn't won the title since 2013.

"We've been there and tried different managers - (Jose) Mourinho, (Louis) van Gaal, (Erik) ten Hag and (Ruben) Amorim - and for me Carrick makes sense," Rooney told The Overlap.

"Having someone there who knows the club and cares for the club makes a big difference. Michael is managing the whole squad and managing them well."


Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
TT

Scrutiny on Flick Rises as Barca Seek Recovery 

14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)
14 April 2025, North Rhine-Westphalia, Dortmund: Barcelona coach Hansi Flick attends a press conference ahead of the 2025 UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg soccer match against Borussia Dortmund. (dpa)

Since Hansi Flick arrived in Barcelona in the summer of 2024 things have largely gone better than even he might have hoped, at least until the past week.

Revitalizing the Catalan giants and inspiring them to a domestic treble last season, as well as steering them to the final four of the Champions League for the first time in six years was an excellent accomplishment.

The current campaign has been a bumpier ride, in part due to injury problems, but Barca were still going strong until two consecutive defeats sapped morale as the business end of the season approaches.

Barca host Levante on Sunday at Camp Nou in La Liga as they aim to get back on track and potentially reclaim top spot from rivals Real Madrid, who visit Osasuna on Saturday.

Los Blancos moved two points ahead of Barca last weekend and stayed there as Flick's side crumbled in a 2-1 defeat at neighbors Girona on Monday.

That was hot on the heels of a 4-0 humiliation by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg, arguably Barca's worst performance since Flick's arrival.

Barca protested officiating mistakes in both games, and although the refereeing technical committee later admitted some fault, it does not absolve the Blaugrana of two worrying displays.

"We are not in a good mood, not in a good moment," admitted Flick.

"I gave the team two days off, because I think it's important that they reset."

The coach said his side, who hope to have playmaker Pedri Gonzalez back in action against Levante after injury, may be tired but also needed to buck up their ideas.

"(Mistakes) could be something to do with if they are tired, not fresh enough... but at the end we have to have the hunger to win the games," said Flick.

"When they come back I want another mentality, another level, they (must) train and play at."

Since Flick arrived Barca have played an ultra-attacking style with a high defensive line, leading to a lot of high-scoring games.

However, with the injuries they have had this season, perhaps partly due to wear-and-tear due to Flick's demands over pressing, they are creating less and finishing more inefficiently.

Both central strikers, Robert Lewandowski and Ferran Torres, are out of form in 2026.

The defense, meanwhile, is as porous as ever and with Pedri missing eight of the last 14 league games, they have struggled for control in midfield.

Flick's recent comments about not adjusting his approach regardless of the opponent Barca face are cause for concern.

"I don't take care if (the opponents) play five at the back or if they have a fast striker. We have the quality and this is what I want to see," said Flick last week, although recent results suggest perhaps he should look to tweak things more reactively.

Against Atletico the pace of wingers Ademola Lookman and Giuliano Simeone helped rip Barca's defense to shreds.

Although Barca are firm favorites against Levante, 19th, the trio of games which follow, leading into the Champions League last 16, are key to stopping the season from spiraling away from them.

They next host high-flying Villarreal, before the Copa semi second leg against Atletico and a tricky visit to the San Mames to play Athletic Bilbao.