'Nothing is Impossible': Shaidorov Shocks Favorite Malinin to Make History

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Men Single Skating - Free Skating - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 13, 2026. Ilia Malinin of United States performs during the Free Skating REUTERS/Yara Nardi
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Men Single Skating - Free Skating - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 13, 2026. Ilia Malinin of United States performs during the Free Skating REUTERS/Yara Nardi
TT

'Nothing is Impossible': Shaidorov Shocks Favorite Malinin to Make History

Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Men Single Skating - Free Skating - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 13, 2026. Ilia Malinin of United States performs during the Free Skating REUTERS/Yara Nardi
Milano Cortina 2026 Olympics - Figure Skating - Men Single Skating - Free Skating - Milano Ice Skating Arena, Milan, Italy - February 13, 2026. Ilia Malinin of United States performs during the Free Skating REUTERS/Yara Nardi

Mikhail Shaidorov said his Olympic men's figure skating gold proved "nothing is impossible" after shocking US star Ilia Malinin on Friday to make history for Kazakhstan.

Shaidorov, the world silver medalist, had been in fifth after Tuesday's short program but delivered a technically exceptional free skate to grab gold as Malinan finished off the podium in eighth.

Shaidorov hit five quads and an incredible opening triple Axel-Euler-quadruple Salchow combination which racked up big points and settled his nerves.

Surprised by his victory, he paid tribute to Malinin: "He is very important for figure skating, he is the best skater in history.

"I still can't believe I'm an Olympic champion."

Malinin, a two-time defending world champion and undefeated for over two years, had been leading after the short program, but he capitulated and ultimately finished 15th in the free skate and eighth overall.

The 21-year-old fell twice and singled his attempt at a first quadruple axel in Olympic history with only three clean quads for the skater who hit a record seven on his way to victory in the Grand Prix final where Shaidorov finished sixth.

"When I was watching Ilia skating I was surprised because usually he's exceptional and I don't know what exactly happened," Shaidorov said.

"I was rooting for him. When you're nervous you can make mistakes, as they say in figure skating 'the ice is slippery'.

"Everyone was very nervous and we were all under pressure.

"I told him (after the competition) it was incredibly difficult for me to share the same ice as him."

Japan's Yuma Kagiyama, second after the short program, also fell during his routine, but took silver ahead of compatriot Shun Sato who moved up from ninth.

France's Adam Siao Him Fa, who had been third, dropped to seventh.

"It was important for me to show good skating and what I had learned," Shaidorov said.

To calm his nerves, Shaidorov revealed he had assembled Lego before taking to the ice.

His free skate to "The Diva Dance" earned him personal best scores of 198.64 for the routine and 291.58 overall.

- Stars align -

Such was his relief he collapsed on the ice after his four-minute routine.

"I felt relieved this incredible pressure was gone," he said. "I did everything I could and nothing else depended on me that moment."

Shaidorov said that his world silver medal had had a big impact on the popularity of the sport in his country.

"I hope after my victory we'll have better conditions for young people to join the sport and know that nothing is impossible."

The 21-year-old's gold was only the second title for Kazakhstan at a Winter Olympics after Vladimir Smirnov won cross-country gold in Lillehammer in 1994.

Kazakh figure skater Denis Ten won men's figure skating bronze at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.

And Shaidorov praised Ten, who died aged 25 after being stabbed by car thieves.

"Denis Ten influenced me and figure skating in Kazakhstan. He opened the door for us.

"I hope this medal will open the door for skaters from Kazakhstan to know the sky is the limit.

"Today the stars aligned for me."



Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
TT

Former F1 Champion Alain Prost Reportedly Injured as Police Investigate Robbery at Family Home

(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)
(FILES) Retired French F1 racing driver and Renault special advisor Alain Prost arrives to attend the funeral of late French racing driver Anthoine Hubert into Chartres' cathedral, on September 10, 2019. (Photo by JEAN-FRANCOIS MONIER / AFP)

Swiss police are investigating an alleged robbery amid reports that four-time Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost was injured during a home invasion.

Swiss tabloid Blick reported late Friday that the 71-year-old Prost sustained a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the incident Tuesday morning.

“The perpetrators entered the residence while the occupants were present, threatened them, and forced one family member to open a safe before fleeing with the stolen goods,” the public prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “Despite the extensive search operation launched, the perpetrators have not yet been apprehended at this stage,” The AP news reported.

The police, who did not name the victim, said “several” balaclava-wearing intruders “broke into the house. Once inside, they threatened the occupants and inflicted minor head injuries upon one family member, under circumstances that remain to be established. The perpetrators then forced another family member to open a safe before making their escape with stolen items, a precise inventory of which is currently being compiled.”

Blick reported that Prost, who won four world championships between 1985-1993, was “visibly shaken by this brutal intrusion” and that he's left the home in Nyon beside Lake Geneva in the Swiss canton of Vaud.


Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Spurs Sweat over Premier League Survival as Salah, Guardiola Say Goodbye

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah applauds the fans as he is substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Tottenham must avoid defeat against Everton on Sunday to guarantee their place in the Premier League next season as Pep Guardiola and Mohamed Salah prepare for emotional farewells.

Liverpool and Bournemouth could both secure places in the Champions League, while European football is also on the line for Brighton, Brentford, Chelsea and Sunderland.

Spurs 'dignity' at stake

According to AFP, this time last year Tottenham fans were basking in the glow of a first trophy for 17 years after beating Manchester United to lift the Europa League.

Head coach Roberto De Zerbi believes the visit of Everton dwarfs the importance of that victory, with Premier League survival at stake.

"There is something more important than the trophy and the bonus," he said. "There is the future of the club, there is the history of the club, there is the pride of the players, there is the pride of the families of the players.

"There is the dignity of every one of us."

A point will be enough to secure survival and relegate West Ham due to Tottenham's vastly superior goal difference.

But Spurs have already lost 10 of their 18 home league games this season and another defeat would open the door to Nuno Espirito Santo's Hammers, if they can beat Leeds.

Battle for Europe

Liverpool should ensure a terrible season does not end on a fresh low note by securing a top-five finish in Mohamed Salah's farewell to Anfield.

Finishing in the top five would ensure Champions League football next season -- a consolation prize after a shocking title defence.

Egypt international Salah criticised Liverpool's performances under Arne Slot this season after last week's 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa.

"I want to see Liverpool go back to being the heavy metal attacking team that opponents fear and back to being a team that wins trophies," he said in a social media post, pointedly referring to the football played under Slot's predecessor Jurgen Klopp.

"Qualifying to next season's Champions League is the bare minimum and I will do everything I can to make that happen," he added.

Liverpool, who host Brentford, have a three-point lead and a six-goal cushion on goal difference over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

Sixth could be enough to qualify for the Champions League if Liverpool win and leapfrog Aston Villa, who travel to Manchester City, into fifth spot.

As it stands, the sixth and seventh-placed teams would go into the Europa League and the eighth would qualify for the Conference League, AFP reported.

Brighton would be guaranteed at least Europa League football with victory over Manchester United.

Sunderland host Chelsea with a chance of qualifying for continental competition for the first time in more than half a century.

Premier League greats depart

Mohamed Salah's outburst gives Arne Slot a tough decision to make on whether to start the 33-year-old, who has only recently returned from a hamstring injury.

The already unpopular coach risks infuriating the Liverpool fans even further if he does not give the man they christened "The Egyptian King" one last run out in front of the Kop.

With increasing speculation over his future, Slot can ill afford to let any personal issues with Salah get in the way of finishing the season on a high.

Liverpool have failed to win any of the nine league games that Salah has not started in 2026.

At the Etihad, Guardiola is set for a rousing send-off after amassing 20 trophies in his decade in charge, including six Premier League titles and City's only Champions League.

"It's been the experience of my life," said the Catalan after announcing his departure on Friday.


Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
TT

Manchester United's Fernandes Named Premier League Player of the Season

Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS
Soccer Football - Premier League - Manchester United v Nottingham Forest - Old Trafford, Manchester, Britain - May 17, 2026 Manchester United's Bruno Fernandes in action REUTERS

Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes was named the Premier League player of the season on Saturday after guiding his club to third place in the standings while equaling the league's assists record with a game to spare. Fernandes tied the league record of 20 assists jointly held by former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and ex-Manchester City playmaker Kevin De ⁠Bruyne.

The Portugal international ⁠also scored eight goals as United secured a third-place finish to qualify for the Champions League.

The 31-year-old was nominated alongside Arsenal's title-winning trio of Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, ⁠Manchester City duo Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White and Brentford striker Igor Thiago.

Fernandes emerged as the Premier League's best playmaker this season when he created a league-high 132 chances. The next best player was Liverpool's Dominik Szoboszlai, who created 89 chances, Reuters reported.

Fernandes was named the Football Writers' Association ⁠men's ⁠player of the year earlier this month while he also picked up the club's Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year honor for the fifth time.

He has the opportunity to make the Premier League assists record his own on Sunday when United travel to Brighton & Hove Albion for the final game of the season.