Mexico to Beef Up Security at Tourist Sites after Shooting at Pyramids in Lead Up to World Cup

National Guard troops patrol the Teotihuacan pyramids, which remained closed a day after a gunman opened fire on tourists at the archaeological site outside Mexico City, Tuesday, April 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)
National Guard troops patrol the Teotihuacan pyramids, which remained closed a day after a gunman opened fire on tourists at the archaeological site outside Mexico City, Tuesday, April 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)
TT

Mexico to Beef Up Security at Tourist Sites after Shooting at Pyramids in Lead Up to World Cup

National Guard troops patrol the Teotihuacan pyramids, which remained closed a day after a gunman opened fire on tourists at the archaeological site outside Mexico City, Tuesday, April 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)
National Guard troops patrol the Teotihuacan pyramids, which remained closed a day after a gunman opened fire on tourists at the archaeological site outside Mexico City, Tuesday, April 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)

Mexico’s government said it was beefing up security at tourist sites after a man opened fire on tourists at pyramids outside of Mexico City less than two months before the FIFA World Cup.

The Monday shooting, carried out by a lone gunman on top of one of the Teotihuacan pyramids — a UNESCO Heritage Site and one of Mexico's most frequented tourist attractions — killed one Canadian tourist and injured a dozen more.

It also set off a flurry of questions the next morning by reporters to Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum about what security protocols her government was taking ahead of the sports competition, which Mexico will jointly host with the United States and Canada over the summer.

About an hour from Mexico City, Teotihuacan was slated to be a key site for visitors during the festivities. Just days before the shooting, local lawmakers even pushed forward an initiative to revive a nighttime interactive light show projected on the pyramids for World Cup visitors, which was previous suspended at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The unexpected act of violence comes as Sheinbaum's government has gone to great lengths to project an image of safety ahead of the soccer competition, following a surge of cartel violence February in the World Cup host city of Guadalajara.

"Events like this only further magnify the negative images that Mexico has on security issues, undermining the narrative that President Sheinbaum is trying to build that Mexico is a safe country," The Associated Press quoted Mexican security analyst David Saucedo as saying.

On Tuesday, Sheinbaum acknowledged that the archaeological site lacked security filters to prevent the attack in part, she said, because the shooting “was an isolated incident" that hasn't occurred before in such a public space.

While Mexico suffers from cartel violence, especially in strategic and rural areas, mass shootings in public spaces are rare in Mexico compared to the US, where it is much easier to legally obtain a gun.

She noted that the shooter appeared to be motivated by “outside influences," particularly the 1999 Columbine massacre in Colorado.

“Our obligation as a government is to take the appropriate measures to ensure that a situation like this does not happen again. But clearly, we all know — Mexicans know — that this is something that had not previously taken place,” Sheinbaum said Tuesday morning.

Mexican Security Secretary Omar García Harfuch, the face of the government's crackdown on cartels, said on Tuesday that security forces had been ordered to “immediately strengthen security" at archaeological sites and major tourist destinations across the country.

He said the government will increase the presence of Mexican National Guard, boost security checks at key sites and fortify surveillance systems to “identify and prevent any threats” against citizens and visitors.

The announcement was an effort by Mexican authorities to assuage ongoing concerns about violence in Mexico ahead of the tournament.

Sheinbaum's government has touted security successes under her leadership. Homicides have dipped sharply since she taken office to the lowest levels in a decade, government figures show. The government has also taken out a number of top capos and highlighted a dip in fentanyl seizures at the US-Mexico border.

But they have hit hurdles in recent months, namely a burst a violence in Guadalajara in February, triggered by the killing of Mexico’s most powerful cartel boss. The bloodshed was met with a wave of concern by people in and outside of Mexico.

Sheinbaum vowed there would be “no risk” for fans coming to the tournament and FIFA president Gianni Infantino said he had “full confidence” in Mexico as a host country.

Sheinbaum later met with FIFA representatives to assess security for the World Cup matches to be played in Mexico.

Mexico’s government doubled down on security measures, which include deploying 100,000 security forces across the country, particularly concentrated in the country’s three host cities, Mexico City, Guadalajara and Monterrey.

Officials said it would deploy more than 2,000 military vehicles, as well as dozens of air crafts and drones, and establish security perimeters around areas like stadiums and airports in key cities.

"As you can see, we are very prepared for the World Cup," Sheinbaum said in early March.

Despite the rare nature of the Monday shooting at the pyramids, the extreme act of violence reignited scrutiny by some about the government's capacity to prevent violence during the soccer tournament, and once again boosted pressures on the government.

FIFA was approached for comment about the pyramid shooting, but the soccer body typically does not address security issues and incidents that happen away from tournament venues.

Saucedo, the security analyst, said that pressures to concentrate security in host cities and tourist areas like Teotihuacan may come at the expense of other more crime-torn areas in greater need of police and military.

"Events like the one that took place yesterday in Teotihuacan clearly show that public safety agencies are overwhelmed," he said.



Mexico Ease Past Ghana in World Cup Warm-up in Puebla

Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
TT

Mexico Ease Past Ghana in World Cup Warm-up in Puebla

Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero
Soccer Football - International Friendly - Mexico v Ghana - Estadio Cuauhtemoc, Puebla, Mexico - May 22, 2026 Mexico fans in the stands during the match REUTERS/Henry Romero

Mexico beat Ghana 2-0 in Puebla on Friday in a World Cup warm-up that offered a glimpse of the excitement building less than three weeks before the country opens the tournament.

While Puebla is not among Mexico's World Cup host cities, fans in green shirts created a lively atmosphere throughout the night. Repeated Mexican waves rolled around the stadium ⁠despite visible empty ⁠sections closed under FIFA sanctions linked to discriminatory chants at previous national team matches.

Brian Gutierrez set the tone immediately, curling home from the edge of the box after two minutes at Cuauhtemoc ⁠Stadium.

Teenage Liga MX sensation Gil Mora struck the post in the first half, and Alexis Vega had a header ruled out for offside before the break.

Ghana, with recently appointed coach Carlos Queiroz absent and assistants leading from the bench, threatened an equaliser early in the second half after forcing a pair of saves from the ⁠Mexican ⁠goalkeeper and hitting the crossbar.

But substitute Guillermo Martinez ended the visitors' hopes in the 54th minute, finishing off a counterattack to double Mexico's lead.

Coach Javier Aguirre used the friendly to continue evaluating players ahead of naming Mexico's final World Cup squad on June 1, with Europe-based players Edson Alvarez, Jorge Sanchez and Luis Chávez making second-half appearances after recently joining training camp.


Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
TT

Success Fuels Guardiola’s Campaign for a ‘Better Society’

Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)
Pep Guardiola giving a speech on Palestine in Barcelona earlier this year. (Getty Images)

Pep Guardiola is more than a football manager, using his high-profile platform to highlight causes close to his heart.

Legendary Liverpool manager Bill Shankly may have believed football was "much, much more important" than life or death but for Guardiola several things outside the "beautiful game" matter almost as much.

The 55-year-old Spaniard will step away from the Manchester City dugout on Sunday after winning 20 trophies in 10 years.

From Palestinian children to Catalan independence and homelessness in the United Kingdom, Guardiola has strayed outside the borders of his job to bang the drum for a diverse range of causes during that time.

He has made no bones about using his position as a podium to "speak up to be a better society".

Guardiola's most recent foray into sensitive political territory has been his passionate embrace of Palestinian children in Gaza during the two-year war with Israel and their suffering in the aftermath.

The war, sparked by Hamas's October 2023 attack on Israel, has killed at least 72,568 people in Gaza. Victims included children from toddlers to late teens.

Hundreds of thousands of displaced people still live in tents, and conditions remain dire despite a ceasefire that came into effect in October.

The devastation is acutely felt by the youngest in society, a topic Guardiola felt sufficiently important to miss a pre-match press conference and attend a charity event, Act x Palestine, in Barcelona in January this year.

With a Palestinian keffiyeh draped round his neck, he went on the offensive.

"I think what we think when I see a child in these past two years with these images on social media, on television, recording himself, pleading 'where is my mother?' among the rubble, and he still doesn't know it," he said.

"And I always think: what must they be thinking? And I think we have left them alone, abandoned."

- 'I will stand up' -

While widely lauded, his forays into the delicate issue also met with opprobrium, not least from the representatives of Manchester's Jewish community.

Remarks he made last summer prompted them to write a letter to the Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak warning his comments put the lives of Jews living in Manchester "in danger".

Guardiola, though, was unbowed -- just as he was when he was fined £20,000 ($27,000) by the Football Association in 2018 for wearing a yellow ribbon to support imprisoned politicians in his native Catalonia.

It is not just the suffering of Palestinian children that has exercised his mind.

He spoke out at a press conference in February to deplore not only the violence in the Middle East but also Ukraine, Sudan and the deaths of two people in the United States at the hands of ICE agents.

"When you have an idea and you need to defend (it) and you have to kill thousands, thousands of people -- I'm sorry, I will stand up," he said.

"Always I will be there. Always."

However, with anti-Semitism on the rise, the Jewish Representative Council of Greater Manchester and Region was angered that he made no reference to a terror attack on a synagogue in the city last October which resulted in two deaths.

Guardiola has also paid attention to those who suffer closer to home.

For several years his Guardiola Sala Foundation has supported the Salvation Army's Partnership Trophy, a five-a-side football tournament in Manchester which raised awareness of homelessness in the United Kingdom.

"It's so encouraging to witness how football can bring people together and help them overcome really tough personal challenges," he said.


Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
TT

Slot Says He and Salah Want 'What’s Best for Liverpool' before Brentford Finale

25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa
25 April 2026, United Kingdom, Liverpool: Liverpool's Mohamed Salah with manager Arne Slot after being substituted during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Crystal Palace at Anfield. Photo: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/dpa

Liverpool manager Arne Slot said on Friday that he and Mohamed Salah both care about the club's success after the Egyptian questioned their style of play in a social media post.

Slot, however, declined to confirm whether the forward, who is leaving Liverpool at the end of the season, would feature in the club's final game of the campaign at Anfield against Brentford on Sunday.

In a post on X, Salah urged the club to rediscover their attacking identity after a painful 4-2 defeat by Aston Villa left Champions League qualification in the balance

"Mo and I have the same interests, we want the best for this club, we want it to be as successful as possible. We were both part of giving our fans their first title for five years, but we are also aware we haven't brought that same level this season," Slot told reporters on Friday.

"What we and I want is for the club to be as successful as last season. And that is where my main focus is on now because the game on Sunday could give us a really good base for next season.

"I never say anything about team selection, so it would be a surprise to you if I did that right now."

Salah, third on Liverpool's all-time top-scorers list, had highlighted the club's inconsistent campaign and called for a return to the aggressive style that brought previous success under former manager Juergen Klopp.

However, the Dutchman said the forward's criticism had not affected the team's training as they prepare to host Brentford.

With one more Champions League spot up for grabs, fifth-placed Liverpool, on 59 points, will aim to maintain their three-point lead and six-goal-difference advantage over sixth-placed Bournemouth.

"I don't think it is important what I feel, what is important is we qualify for the Champions League on Sunday," Slot added.

"So I prepare Mo and the whole of the team in the best possible way, that is what matters. I was very disappointed after our loss against Villa, as a win would've given us Champions League qualification, and now there is one game to go and it is vital for us as a club."

Goalkeeper Alisson Becker resumed training on Friday and is expected to be fit for the final game, Slot said, after being sidelined since mid-March with a hamstring injury.