Eala and Tjen Bring a Southeast Asian ‘Sense of Pride’ to Roland Garros

 Philippines' Alexandra Eala serves a ball to Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina, during their match at the Italian Open tennis tournament in Rome, Sunday, May 10, 2026. (AP)
Philippines' Alexandra Eala serves a ball to Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina, during their match at the Italian Open tennis tournament in Rome, Sunday, May 10, 2026. (AP)
TT

Eala and Tjen Bring a Southeast Asian ‘Sense of Pride’ to Roland Garros

 Philippines' Alexandra Eala serves a ball to Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina, during their match at the Italian Open tennis tournament in Rome, Sunday, May 10, 2026. (AP)
Philippines' Alexandra Eala serves a ball to Kazakhstan's Elena Rybakina, during their match at the Italian Open tennis tournament in Rome, Sunday, May 10, 2026. (AP)

Alexandra Eala and Janice Tjen have taken different routes to the women's top 40, but both began their journeys from a region that is rarely on the tennis map.

In January, Eala, who turns 21 the day before Roland Garros starts, became the first player from the Philippines to break into the top 50.

Tjen turned 24 earlier in May. When she entered the top 40 in February, she became the highest-ranked Indonesian woman since Yayuk Basuki, who reached the top 20 in 1997 and 1998.

While their far-flung countries are more than 1,500 kilometers apart, they share a maritime border. The impact of the sometime doubles partners, not only on the court but in the stands, has brought them the nickname "SEASters".

The huge Filipino expat population flock to see their first tennis star everywhere she plays.

"The start of the season is when I seriously noticed that people were really coming, they were buying tickets, they were taking time out of their day. It was like, wow," world number 38 Eala told the Served website.

She added she had been a "little bit in denial" about her popularity.

"After I broke that barrier of not accepting, thinking, 'I don't think I'm really famous', every week they just kept coming, so I was, 'Okay, you have to accept it, absorb it, it's here, it's a really good position'."

Her opponents notice.

"I love that she has such an incredible fan base. I've seen the atmosphere. It's amazing," American Amanda Anisimova said in Dubai.

Yet, Eala is cautious.

"I want to give back all the support they give me, but my first obligation is to myself," she told the Punto de Break website.

"I try to find the healthiest way to deal with all of this, because I feel like many things could go wrong... It's all about balance."

Representing a nation of 288 million, 41st-ranked Tjen is also proving a draw.

"I don't think too much about it," she told the Times of India ahead of a Billie Jean King Cup match in Delhi in April.

"I know that as long as I keep working hard and giving my best, I always have Indonesia behind me. That's something I'm proud of."

Two Thai women, Lanlana Tararudee and Mananchaya Sawangkaew are also hovering around the top 100.

"I'm super, super proud to be part of this group. And these are girls that I grew up with," said Eala.

"I think Southeast Asia has its own little charm. We have certain humor that's very similar, maybe cultural things that we share. There's definitely that shared sense of pride for my region."

Eala left home aged 12 to join the Rafael Nadal Academy in Mallorca. She won the US Open junior singles in 2022.

- 'Tennis demands a lot' -

After breaking into the top 50 last season, she became the first person to hit with Nadal since his retirement over a year earlier.

"It was crazy," Eala told The National. "It was my first time ever hitting with him and I was so nervous and it was definitely physically demanding for me.

"Just to say that you hit with Rafa, it's insane."

She has Nadal's willingness to go to the limits.

After beating Magdalena Frech in a tough three-setter at the Italian Open earlier this month, she said on Tennis Channel: "I told myself that I wasn't tired enough."

Eala is a lefty, like Nadal, but has not yet displayed the 14-time Roland Garros champion's love for clay.

"I'm starting to build that relationship," she said in Rome. "This is my first season where I've really done these high-level tournaments."

Tjen developed later on tennis scholarships at US universities, spending one year at Oregon and three at Pepperdine by the beach in Malibu. She has hardly any experience on clay and played her first tour-level matches on the surface in April.

"So I'm just taking things one at a time," she told the Roland Garros website.

She also admitted she had previously held doubts about pursuing a tennis career.

"Tennis demands a lot of you," she told the Times of India.

"You basically have to travel every week of your life and that's a very tough demand for me. I don't like travelling as much and considering that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it and being away from home for that long I decided to quit, but I had a lot of good people around me and they kept convincing me to give it a try."



Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
TT

Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

In an unusual ceremony closed to the media and fans, Real Madrid officially presented coach José Mourinho on Tuesday.

The event took place at the club's headquarters in Madrid, with president Florentino Pérez welcoming the coach. The only images of the presentation were provided by Real Madrid TV and the club's website and social media accounts.

“I'm one of you,” Mourinho said in a message to fans in a video released by the club. “And not just today, but since I arrived in 2010 and after I left in 2013, always with you. ... To return to Real Madrid is to return home.”

Madrid said the coach was signed for three seasons until June 30, 2029.

After the signing, Madrid said Mourinho received a replica of the stadium, a watch and a jersey with his name.

Madrid has been revamped after a second consecutive season without a major title. In addition to Mourinho, who replaced Álvaro Arbeloa, the club also brought in players such as Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande.

Kylian Mbappé, Vinícius Júnior and Jude Bellingham will lead the squad again as it tries to keep Barcelona from winning a third straight La Liga title. Mourinho was hired in June and officially took over in July at the start of the preseason.

He is back for a second stint with Madrid some 13 years after he left the club. He was in charge from 2010-13, winning a Spanish league and a Copa del Rey. He was more remembered for his confrontational personality that ended up splitting his own squad and alienating all but the most hardcore fans, as well as a large part of the local media.


Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027
TT

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

The Esports Foundation has postponed the inaugural Esports Nations Cup (ENC) in Riyadh from November 2026 to November 2027, following an ongoing regional assessment, consultations with key partners, and a commitment to match the high expectations of players, national teams, publishers, partners, and fans across more than 100 participating countries and territories.

The foundation affirmed that Saudi Arabia remains a safe, stable, and welcoming host for international sports and entertainment. It stressed that its commitment to staging the tournament and supporting the national esports ecosystem is unchanged, SPA reported.

All commitments under the ENC Development Fund and its programs remain fully active, with ongoing stakeholder coordination to manage the revised timeline.

Esports Foundation CEO Ralf Reichert noted that while the decision was not taken lightly, the positive global response underscores the event's immense potential. He emphasized the foundation's responsibility to deliver the inaugural edition under optimal conditions, confirming that investments in national partners, publisher collaborations, and national team ecosystems will continue unabated.

The global tournament aims to elevate the esports sector, create player pathways, advance national teams, and foster national identity.

In the coming weeks, the foundation will coordinate with stakeholders to clarify the revised schedule, qualifying rounds, and related operational details.


Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
TT

Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)

Back-to-back champions ‌Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia will take on 2024 winners Al-Ain of the United Arab Emirates in the league phase of the Asian Champions League Elite after the draw for the expanded competition was conducted in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

Al-Ahli, now coached by Marino Pusic after Matthias Jaissle left to join Newcastle United, will also play Qatari trio Al-Sadd, Al-Shamal and Al-Gharafa as well ‌as Emirati ‌sides Shabab Al-Ahli and Al-Wasl plus ‌Uzbekistan's ⁠Neftchi and Pakhtakor.

The ⁠league phase has been increased from 24 to 32 teams with the opening round to commence on September 14 and finish on February 17.

Japan's Kashima Antlers, the last team from east Asia playing in the current edition to have ⁠won the title, will face twice winners ‌Jeonbuk Motors from ‌South Korea, as well as Thai sides Buriram United, Port ‌FC and Ratchaburi FC.

The J-League side will ‌also take on tournament debutants Cong An Ha Noi from Vietnam, Daejeon Citizen and Pohang Steelers from South Korea, and Australian champions Newcastle Jets.

Clubs in the west ‌and east of the continent are divided into separate groups of 16 ⁠teams for ⁠the league phase, with the top eight finishers on each side advancing to the knockout rounds.

Those last 16 matches will also be held on a regional basis with the four victorious teams from the two sides of the confederation advancing to the centralized finals, which will be played for the third year in a row in Saudi Arabia.

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1.