New Zealand Captain Wood Fit and Fired Up for World Cup

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
TT

New Zealand Captain Wood Fit and Fired Up for World Cup

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - International Friendly - Australia v New Zealand - Brentford Community Stadium, London, Britain - October 17, 2023 New Zealand's Chris Wood Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra/File Photo

New Zealand captain Chris Wood says he is fully fit for the World Cup and his long injury battle has made him hungrier for success as the All Whites look to reach the knockout phase for the first time.

After undergoing surgery on his left knee in December, the 34-year-old striker returned to action for Nottingham Forest last month before being included in New Zealand coach Darren Bazeley's squad for the June 11 to July 19 finals in North America.

New Zealand's record scorer with 45 goals in 88 appearances, Wood said he had moved past the recovery phase with his knee and was looking forward to locking ⁠horns with Iran, ⁠Egypt and Belgium at the World Cup.

"I'm fully back to full fitness. I've been playing games now for over a month-and-a-half, so I feel good, feel up to speed, which is nice, and ready to continue to attack the off-season," he told reporters in a video call on Friday.

"I'm just happy to be back firing both for Forest and for the national team coming into this World Cup period.

"And it's just ⁠given me that hunger to strive and achieve more, definitely."

Wood and defender Tommy Smith are the only players in the squad who represented New Zealand the last time they played at the World Cup when it was hosted by South Africa in 2010.

Then 18, Wood came off the bench in the group matches against Italy, Slovakia and Paraguay.

New Zealand bowed out with three draws but won acclaim for going through unbeaten in their second World Cup and first since 1982.

Wood said the current squad was completely different, much more a technical, ball-playing side versus the "run-through-brick-walls" players of 2010.

He was nonetheless confident they could get out of their ⁠group.

"That's our aim, ⁠and then build from there. We're under no illusion it's going to be tough, but we think we've got the quality in our dressing room to be able to do that," Reuters quoted him as saying.

New Zealand kick off their World Cup against Iran on June 15 in Los Angeles, a match that will be in the spotlight following the United States and Israel's military strikes against the Middle East nation.

While Iran's preparations have been disrupted by the conflict, Wood said they would be no pushovers.

"I believe they're 21st, 22nd in the world, so no mugs in that sense," he said.

"So they're going to be tough to beat and tough to perform against.

"I know the (NZ) coaching staff is doing all they can to do the analytic side of it for (Iran). And we'll be ready on and off the pitch for them."



Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
TT

Carrick to Continue as Man United Head Coach Until 2028

(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)
(FILES) Manchester United's English interim head coach Michael Carrick applauds fans on the pitch after their final home appearance in the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Darren Staples / AFP)

Manchester United have appointed Michael Carrick as their permanent manager on a contract until 2028, the Premier League club said on Friday, rewarding the former midfielder for the club's turnaround in fortunes in less than half a season.

The 44-year-old Englishman has guided United to 11 victories in 16 matches, including wins over Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea, to climb to third in the Premier League and seal a berth in next season's Champions League.

"From the moment that I arrived here 20 years ago, I felt the magic of Manchester United. Carrying the responsibility of leading our special football club fills me with immense pride," Reuters quoted Carrick as saying in ⁠a statement.

"Throughout the ⁠past five months, this group of players have shown they can reach the standards of resilience, togetherness and determination that we demand here.

"Now it's time to move forward together again, with ambition and a clear sense of purpose."

Initially appointed on an interim basis to replace Ruben Amorim, the former United midfielder has exceeded expectations and transformed the mood around Old Trafford, with the club's players backing ⁠him for the job.

Carrick, who served as caretaker manager in 2021 following Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal, made 464 appearances for United across all competitions, winning five Premier League titles and the Champions League in 2008.

His managerial experience includes a mixed stint at second-tier club Middlesbrough, where he initially did well after joining in October 2022 with the Championship side languishing in 21st place.

Carrick quickly turned things around, guiding them to a fourth-placed finish and the playoffs in his first season and they reached the League Cup semi-finals the following campaign.

However, Middlesbrough failed to earn promotion as they finished eighth and 10th in his last two seasons, leading to ⁠his dismissal in ⁠June last year.

United, who have 68 points, are guaranteed to finish third with a game to spare, ending their campaign with a trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Sunday.

"Michael has thoroughly earned the opportunity to continue leading our men's team," Jason Wilcox, the club's director of football, said.

"In the time he has been doing the role, we have seen positive results on the pitch, but more than that, an approach which aligns with the club's values, traditions and history.

"Michael's achievements in leading the club back to the Champions League should not be understated. He has forged a strong bond with the players and can be proud of the winning culture at Carrington and in the dressing room, which we are continuing to build."


Real Madrid Coach Alvaro Arbeloa Says Will Leave Post

Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
TT

Real Madrid Coach Alvaro Arbeloa Says Will Leave Post

Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon
Real Madrid's head coach Alvaro Arbeloa attends a press conference in Madrid, Spain, 22 May 2026. EPA/Javier Lizon

Alvaro Arbeloa confirmed Friday he would leave his role as Real Madrid coach at the end of a trophyless season.

"Yes," Arbeloa said at a press conference when asked to confirm that he would not be coaching the team next season, amid widespread reports that veteran manager Jose Mourinho is returning to the club.

Los Blancos host Athletic Bilbao on Saturday at the Santiago Bernabeu in their final La Liga match of a turbulent campaign.

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez appointed Arbeloa to replace Xabi Alonso in January and he is set to be replaced himself by Portuguese veteran Mourinho.

Spaniard Arbeloa said he would not work as a member of Mourinho's staff if the Portuguese coach is appointed as his successor.

"Mou has a fantastic technical team, he's got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team," said Arbeloa.

"There's no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future... from Monday I'll think about that."

Arbeloa, who played at Madrid between 2009-2016 and later coached there at youth level said he hoped this match was a "see you later" rather than goodbye.

"I hope it's a see you later... I've always considered this my home, I've belonged to Madrid for 20 years in various roles," said Arbeloa.

"It will be my last game this season as coach of Real Madrid, I don't know if it will be the last game of my life as coach of Real Madrid.

"We never know. I'll try and enjoy it and try to get the win."


Five Stars Ready to Light Up the World Cup

France's Kylian Mbappe could break the all-time record for World Cup goals. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File
France's Kylian Mbappe could break the all-time record for World Cup goals. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File
TT

Five Stars Ready to Light Up the World Cup

France's Kylian Mbappe could break the all-time record for World Cup goals. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File
France's Kylian Mbappe could break the all-time record for World Cup goals. FRANCK FIFE / AFP/File

Form and fitness concerns are hanging over some of football's biggest names just three weeks before the World Cup kicks off.

AFP sports looks at five of the stars who must shoulder the burden of their nations' expectation in the first-ever 48-team finals spread across the United States, Mexico and Canada:

Kylian Mbappe (France)

Mbappe could become the all-time top goalscorer in World Cup history over the next few weeks, but will cross the Atlantic after a troubled time at Real Madrid.

The 27-year-old is yet to win a major trophy in two seasons at the Spanish giants despite his prolific goalscoring record, AFP said.

Mbappe's commitment has been questioned after he went on holiday while nursing a hamstring injury towards the end of the season.

A change of scenery on the international stage could be just what he needs as he aims to write more history on the global stage.

Mbappe took the tournament by storm as a teenager in France's 2018 World Cup win. He plundered another eight goals, including a hat-trick in the final, as Les Bleus missed out on penalties to Argentina four years ago.

He needs just four more to match Miroslav Klose's record of 16 World Cup goals.

Erling Haaland (Norway)

Haaland finally gets his first taste of a major international tournament after ending Norway's 28-year wait to reach the World Cup.

The Manchester City striker struck 16 times in eight games during Norway's flawless qualifying campaign that included two thrashings of Italy.

That took his tally to a remarkable 55 goals in 49 international appearances.

Haaland is the poster boy for a golden generation of Norwegian players, including Arsenal captain Martin Odegaard, that have been tipped as dark horses.

But Norway will need their star striker in top form after being handed a tough draw alongside France and African champions Senegal in Group I.

Vinicius Junior (Brazil)

Neymar's return to the Brazil squad has caught the imagination, but it is Vincius' performance that will likely determine whether Carlo Ancelotti's men end up with a sixth star on the famous yellow jersey.

He and Mbappe have had to share the spotlight in Madrid, but the World Cup gives Vinicius the chance to become a national hero in Brazil and win the Ballon d'Or he craves.

Vinicius and his club team-mates famously boycotted the ceremony after he was overlooked for Manchester City's Rodri despite scoring in the Champions League final two years ago.

But his record for Brazil is patchy. He scored just once in the World Cup four years ago and has only eight goals in 47 caps overall.

Harry Kane (England)

England's captain and all-time record goalscorer enters probably his last shot at World Cup glory off the back of a stunning season for Bayern Munich.

Kane scored 58 goals in 50 games as Bayern romped to the Bundesliga title and narrowly missed out on the Champions League final.

At international level he has spearheaded the rise of the Three Lions to serial contenders, but is yet to end his nation's 60-year wait to win a major tournament.

Kane has often been hampered physically at international tournaments, exhausted by his exertions during the club season.

However, this time his minutes have been managed by Bayern for months as they prioritized a deep run in the Champions League, with the Bundesliga long since won.

Lamine Yamal (Spain)

The breakout star of Spain's Euro 2024 triumph, Yamal's hopes of taking the world by storm will depend on his recovery from a hamstring injury.

The 18-year-old has not featured since suffering the injury for Barcelona on April 22 and could reportedly miss Spain's first two group games against Cape Verde and Saudi Arabia.

After a slow start to the season, Yamal had been in blistering form prior to his injury, scoring 24 goals in all as Barca cruised to a second consecutive La Liga title.

Spain will be confident of negotiating the early stages of the tournament before unleashing the player many regard as the best in the world for the latter stages.