Serena Williams Pulls Out of Wimbledon Doubles with Knee Injury

US player Serena Williams waves as he leaves the court after being defeated by Australia's Maya Joint during their women's singles first round tennis match on the second day of the 2026 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on June 30, 2026. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)
US player Serena Williams waves as he leaves the court after being defeated by Australia's Maya Joint during their women's singles first round tennis match on the second day of the 2026 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on June 30, 2026. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)
TT

Serena Williams Pulls Out of Wimbledon Doubles with Knee Injury

US player Serena Williams waves as he leaves the court after being defeated by Australia's Maya Joint during their women's singles first round tennis match on the second day of the 2026 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on June 30, 2026. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)
US player Serena Williams waves as he leaves the court after being defeated by Australia's Maya Joint during their women's singles first round tennis match on the second day of the 2026 Wimbledon Championships at The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, southwest London, on June 30, 2026. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)

Serena Williams' Wimbledon comeback is over after the American legend pulled out of the doubles due to a knee injury on Saturday.

Williams and her sister Venus were due to play in the first round on Saturday, but Serena announced just hours before the match that her knee had not healed enough to play, AFP reported.

"I'm heartbroken to have to withdraw from doubles," the 44-year-old said on Instagram.

Serena, a 23-time Grand Slam singles champion, suffered the injury during her defeat against Australia's Maya Joint in the first round of the Wimbledon singles on Tuesday.

That was her first singles match since the 2022 US Open after four years in retirement.

The sisters, who won the Wimbledon doubles six times, were scheduled to face Solana Sierra and Camila Osorio after being given a wild card entry into the event.

But no court was specified by tournament organizers in the order of play, raising the possibility that seven-time Wimbledon singles winner Serena could withdraw.

To the disappointment of her legion of fans, Serena did just that, revealing the fluid on her injured knee made it impossible to continue her sensational return to Wimbledon.

"Coming back to compete again has been a gift, and the opportunity to play alongside Venus once more meant the world to me," she said.

"I did everything I could to be ready, but unfortunately my knee just isn't ready to compete.
"The photo of the syringes shows the fluid they drained from my knee after my singles match...yikes!"

Serena made an astonishing return to tennis at Queen's Club last month, where she played in the doubles with Canadian Victoria Mboko.

But an injury to Mboko curtailed Williams' run in the Wimbledon warm-up event after the pair won their first match.

Serena then crashed out in the first round of the Berlin doubles with Karolina Muchova before accepting Wimbledon's offer of a wild card into the singles last week.

Serena had been motivated by a desire to play in front of her two young daughters Olympia and Adira, but they saw their mother feature in just one match at Wimbledon.

Serena competed gamely in her three-set defeat against Joint -- a player 24 years younger than the American -- on a packed Centre Court.

She did not fulfil her scheduled post-match press conference and her agent later said that was due to the knee injury, setting off speculation she would have to quit the doubles.

Williams posted footage of her limping in a heavy bandage, as well as some syringes full of fluid, as she confirmed her withdrawal.

"The good news is my knee shouldn't swell or collect that much fluid again. The bad news is that, as hard as I tried, I just wasn't able to get it ready for doubles," she said.

"I'm especially grateful to tournament director, Jamie Baker, and the entire tournament team for giving me every opportunity to play here."

Now questions will be asked about her ability to recover in time for the US Open later this year, while it is far from certain how much longer Serena's comeback tour will last.

Hinting she is not finished yet, Williams said: "Thank you to the fans for your incredible support and for making this comeback so meaningful. All I can say is stay tuned to a city near you..."



Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
TT

Real Madrid Officially Presents José Mourinho in a Closed-door Ceremony

File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach
File: Soccer Football - Pre Season Friendly - Schalke 04 v Real Madrid - Veltins-Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Germany - August 16, 2026 Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

In an unusual ceremony closed to the media and fans, Real Madrid officially presented coach José Mourinho on Tuesday.

The event took place at the club's headquarters in Madrid, with president Florentino Pérez welcoming the coach. The only images of the presentation were provided by Real Madrid TV and the club's website and social media accounts.

“I'm one of you,” Mourinho said in a message to fans in a video released by the club. “And not just today, but since I arrived in 2010 and after I left in 2013, always with you. ... To return to Real Madrid is to return home.”

Madrid said the coach was signed for three seasons until June 30, 2029.

After the signing, Madrid said Mourinho received a replica of the stadium, a watch and a jersey with his name.

Madrid has been revamped after a second consecutive season without a major title. In addition to Mourinho, who replaced Álvaro Arbeloa, the club also brought in players such as Marc Cucurella, Ibrahima Konaté, Denzel Dumfries, Bernardo Silva and Yan Diomande.

Kylian Mbappé, Vinícius Júnior and Jude Bellingham will lead the squad again as it tries to keep Barcelona from winning a third straight La Liga title. Mourinho was hired in June and officially took over in July at the start of the preseason.

He is back for a second stint with Madrid some 13 years after he left the club. He was in charge from 2010-13, winning a Spanish league and a Copa del Rey. He was more remembered for his confrontational personality that ended up splitting his own squad and alienating all but the most hardcore fans, as well as a large part of the local media.


Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027
TT

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

Esports Foundation Postpones Inaugural Esports Nations Cup to November 2027

The Esports Foundation has postponed the inaugural Esports Nations Cup (ENC) in Riyadh from November 2026 to November 2027, following an ongoing regional assessment, consultations with key partners, and a commitment to match the high expectations of players, national teams, publishers, partners, and fans across more than 100 participating countries and territories.

The foundation affirmed that Saudi Arabia remains a safe, stable, and welcoming host for international sports and entertainment. It stressed that its commitment to staging the tournament and supporting the national esports ecosystem is unchanged, SPA reported.

All commitments under the ENC Development Fund and its programs remain fully active, with ongoing stakeholder coordination to manage the revised timeline.

Esports Foundation CEO Ralf Reichert noted that while the decision was not taken lightly, the positive global response underscores the event's immense potential. He emphasized the foundation's responsibility to deliver the inaugural edition under optimal conditions, confirming that investments in national partners, publisher collaborations, and national team ecosystems will continue unabated.

The global tournament aims to elevate the esports sector, create player pathways, advance national teams, and foster national identity.

In the coming weeks, the foundation will coordinate with stakeholders to clarify the revised schedule, qualifying rounds, and related operational details.


Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
TT

Holders Al-Ahli to Face Former Winners Al-Ain in Asian Champions League

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)
The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1. (AFC)

Back-to-back champions ‌Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia will take on 2024 winners Al-Ain of the United Arab Emirates in the league phase of the Asian Champions League Elite after the draw for the expanded competition was conducted in Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday.

Al-Ahli, now coached by Marino Pusic after Matthias Jaissle left to join Newcastle United, will also play Qatari trio Al-Sadd, Al-Shamal and Al-Gharafa as well ‌as Emirati ‌sides Shabab Al-Ahli and Al-Wasl plus ‌Uzbekistan's ⁠Neftchi and Pakhtakor.

The ⁠league phase has been increased from 24 to 32 teams with the opening round to commence on September 14 and finish on February 17.

Japan's Kashima Antlers, the last team from east Asia playing in the current edition to have ⁠won the title, will face twice winners ‌Jeonbuk Motors from ‌South Korea, as well as Thai sides Buriram United, Port ‌FC and Ratchaburi FC.

The J-League side will ‌also take on tournament debutants Cong An Ha Noi from Vietnam, Daejeon Citizen and Pohang Steelers from South Korea, and Australian champions Newcastle Jets.

Clubs in the west ‌and east of the continent are divided into separate groups of 16 ⁠teams for ⁠the league phase, with the top eight finishers on each side advancing to the knockout rounds.

Those last 16 matches will also be held on a regional basis with the four victorious teams from the two sides of the confederation advancing to the centralized finals, which will be played for the third year in a row in Saudi Arabia.

The finals phase, featuring the quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, will kick off on April 23 and run until May 1.