YouTube Says It Will Comply with Australia’s Teen Social Media Ban 

This picture taken in Moscow on October 12, 2021 shows the YouTube logo on a smartphone screen. (AFP) 
This picture taken in Moscow on October 12, 2021 shows the YouTube logo on a smartphone screen. (AFP) 
TT

YouTube Says It Will Comply with Australia’s Teen Social Media Ban 

This picture taken in Moscow on October 12, 2021 shows the YouTube logo on a smartphone screen. (AFP) 
This picture taken in Moscow on October 12, 2021 shows the YouTube logo on a smartphone screen. (AFP) 

Google's YouTube said it will obey Australia's world-leading ban on social media accounts for children under 16, a capitulation which means all the most popular platforms with young users have agreed to comply after campaigning against the law.

Google initially received an exemption on grounds its main purpose was video viewing and education, not social networking. Canberra later broadened the scope of the ban to include it following complaints by other platforms.

"We will comply with the law and implement age restrictions as required," YouTube said in a blog post on Wednesday, a week before the law takes effect on December 10.

However, it added that it continued to disagree with the decision to classify YouTube as a social media service, saying it was "fundamentally different".

The Australian ban is being closely watched by other jurisdictions considering similar age-based measures, setting up a potential global precedent for how the mostly US tech giants behind the biggest platforms balance child safety with access to digital services.

The Australian government says the measure responds to mounting evidence that platforms are failing to do enough to protect children from harmful content.

SIGNED OUT

YouTube said any user aged under 16 would be automatically signed out of their account from December 10, meaning they could no longer subscribe, like or comment on posts although they could still view content logged out.

That meant underage content creators also could not log in or post. YouTube did not say how it would verify someone's age.

The company also said in an email to caregivers of underage users that "parental controls only work when your pre-teen or teen is signed in, so the settings you've chosen will no longer apply".

The law prohibits platforms from allowing under-16s to hold accounts, with penalties of up to A$49.5 million ($32.5 million) for breaches. Meta's Facebook and Instagram, TikTok and Snap's Snapchat previously said they would comply.

Of the platforms named by the government as being covered by the ban, only Elon Musk's X and message board Reddit have not publicly committed to abide by the law.

YouTube has 325,000 accounts held by Australians aged 13 to 15, according to regulator the eSafety Commissioner, behind only Snapchat which has 440,000 and Instagram which has 350,000 in that age range. eSafety has said more than one-third of Australians aged 10 to 15 have reported seeing harmful content on YouTube, the worst of any platform.

Since being added to the age-restricted list, YouTube said it was getting legal advice, prompting media reports that it was considering a legal challenge. A YouTube spokesperson did not immediately respond to a question about whether a legal challenge was being considered.



Report: Nvidia Nears Deal for Scaled-down Investment in OpenAI

Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang has insisted that the AI chip powerhouse is committed to a big investment in ChatGPT-maker OpenAI. Lionel BONAVENTURE / AFP
Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang has insisted that the AI chip powerhouse is committed to a big investment in ChatGPT-maker OpenAI. Lionel BONAVENTURE / AFP
TT

Report: Nvidia Nears Deal for Scaled-down Investment in OpenAI

Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang has insisted that the AI chip powerhouse is committed to a big investment in ChatGPT-maker OpenAI. Lionel BONAVENTURE / AFP
Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang has insisted that the AI chip powerhouse is committed to a big investment in ChatGPT-maker OpenAI. Lionel BONAVENTURE / AFP

Nvidia is on the cusp of investing $30 billion in OpenAI, scaling back a plan to pump $100 billion into the ChatGPT maker, the Financial Times reported Thursday.

The AI-chip powerhouse will be part of OpenAI's new funding round with an agreement that could be concluded as early as this weekend, according to the Times, which cited unnamed sources close to the matter.

Nvidia declined to comment on the report.

Nvidia chief executive Jensen Huang has insisted that the US tech giant will make a "huge" investment in OpenAI and dismissed as "nonsense" reports that he is unhappy with the generative AI star.

Huang made the remarks late in January after the Wall Street Journal reported that Nvidia's plan to invest up to $100 billion in OpenAI had been put on ice.

Nvidia announced the plan in September, with the investment helping OpenAI build more infrastructure for next-generation artificial intelligence.

The funding round is reported to value OpenAI at some $850 billion.

Huang told journalists that the notion of Nvidia having doubts about a huge investment in OpenAI was "complete nonsense."

Huang insisted that Nvidia was going ahead with its investment in OpenAI, describing it as "one of the most consequential companies of our time".

"Sam is closing the round, and we will absolutely be involved in the round," Huang said, referring to OpenAI chief executive Sam Altman.

"We will invest a great deal of money."

Nvidia has become the coveted supplier of processors needed for training and operating the large language models (LLM) behind chatbots like OpenAI's ChatGPT or Google Gemini.

LLM developers like OpenAI are directing much of the mammoth investment they have received into Nvidia's products, rushing to build GPU-stuffed data centers to serve an anticipated flood of demand for AI services.

The AI rush, and its frenzy of investment in giant data centers and the massive purchase of energy-intensive chips, continues despite signs of concern in the markets.


SDAIA President: Saudi Arabia Is Building an Integrated National AI Ecosystem in Line with Vision 2030 

SDAIA President Abdullah Al-Ghamdi delivers his remarks at Thursday's meeting. (SPA)
SDAIA President Abdullah Al-Ghamdi delivers his remarks at Thursday's meeting. (SPA)
TT

SDAIA President: Saudi Arabia Is Building an Integrated National AI Ecosystem in Line with Vision 2030 

SDAIA President Abdullah Al-Ghamdi delivers his remarks at Thursday's meeting. (SPA)
SDAIA President Abdullah Al-Ghamdi delivers his remarks at Thursday's meeting. (SPA)

President of the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA) Abdullah Al-Ghamdi stressed on Thursday that Saudi Arabia, guided by the objectives of its Vision 2030, is moving steadily to establish artificial intelligence (AI) as a trusted national capability.

The goal is to use AI to help develop government services, enhance competitiveness, build human capacity, and improve the quality of life through a comprehensive strategy based on three main pillars that unlock the full potential of this technology and achieve sustainable developmental impact, he told a high-level ministerial meeting on the sidelines of the India AI Impact Summit 2026.

“The first pillar focuses on building human capacity and enhancing readiness to engage with AI technologies,” he said.

He added that the second is building an integrated national AI ecosystem that drives expansion and innovation by developing advanced digital infrastructure that enables various sectors to adopt AI applications efficiently, consistently, and with effective governance.

The third pillar is governance, which ensures responsible and measurable AI through a national framework aligned with international standards, he explained.

Al-Ghamdi was heading the Kingdom’s delegation at the summit, and the meeting saw broad participation from heads of state, decision-makers, and technology leaders from around the world.


OpenAI's Altman Says World 'Urgently' Needs AI Regulation

OpenAI’s CEO Sam Altman speaks at the AI Summit in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo)
OpenAI’s CEO Sam Altman speaks at the AI Summit in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo)
TT

OpenAI's Altman Says World 'Urgently' Needs AI Regulation

OpenAI’s CEO Sam Altman speaks at the AI Summit in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo)
OpenAI’s CEO Sam Altman speaks at the AI Summit in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo)

Sam Altman, head of ChatGPT maker OpenAI, told a global artificial intelligence conference on Thursday that the world "urgently" needs to regulate the fast-evolving technology.

An organization could be set up to coordinate these efforts, similar to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), AFP quoted him as saying.

Altman is one of the hosts of top tech CEOs in New Delhi for the AI Impact Summit, the fourth annual global meeting on how to handle advanced computing power.

Frenzied demand for generative AI has turbocharged profits for many companies while fueling anxiety about the risks to individuals and the planet.

"Democratization of AI is the best way to ensure humanity flourishes," Altman said, adding that "centralization of this technology in one company or country could lead to ruin".

"This is not to suggest that we won't need any regulation or safeguards," he said. "We obviously do, urgently, like we have for other powerful technologies."

Many researchers and campaigners say stronger action is needed to combat emerging issues, ranging from job disruption to sexualized deepfakes and AI-enabled online scams.

"We expect the world may need something like the IAEA for international coordination of AI," with the ability to "rapidly respond to changing circumstances", Altman said.

"The next few years will test global society as this technology continues to improve at a rapid pace. We can choose to either empower people or concentrate power," he added.

"Technology always disrupts jobs; we always find new and better things to do."

Generative AI chatbot ChatGPT has 100 million weekly users in India, more than a third of whom are students, he said.

Earlier on Thursday, OpenAI announced with Indian IT giant Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) a plan to build data center infrastructure in the South Asian country.