EU Maintains Sanctions against Iran's Ballistic Missiles

An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)
An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)
TT

EU Maintains Sanctions against Iran's Ballistic Missiles

An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)
An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)

European Union member states maintained restrictive measures against Iran under the non-proliferation sanctions regime after a nuclear agreement Transition Day.

The EU statement said the Council's legal acts to maintain the designations that the UN had initially imposed for individuals and entities involved in nuclear or ballistic missile activities or affiliated to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)."

"The Council also agreed to maintain sectoral and individual measures, existing under the EU's sanctions regime, notably those related to Iran nuclear proliferation, as well as arms and missile embargoes."

Security Council Resolution 2231 includes a timetable for easing restrictions on Iran's nuclear activities and weapons if it fulfills its obligations in the nuclear agreement.

Earlier, the EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, announced he received a letter from the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and the UK (E3) informing him about an issue concerning the implementation of Iran's commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA).

The Foreign Ministers stated that Iran has been in non-compliance since 2019 and considered that this has not been resolved through the JCPoA's Dispute Resolution Mechanism (DRM).

They expressed their intention not to take the steps regarding lifting further sanctions on JCPoA Transition Day on October 18, 2023.

Borrell reported that the officials reiterated their determination to find a diplomatic solution in the framework of the JCPOA.

- Long path

Last month, Borrell said that he received a report from the European trio that they were concerned about Iran not fulfilling its nuclear obligations and that it did not intend to take any step on Transition Day.

The E3 blamed Iran for missing the opportunity twice to revive the nuclear agreement last year.

Many parties, including Russia, rule out returning to the nuclear agreement before next year's US presidential elections.

Western sources said that the Biden administration wanted to reach a formula that would deter Iran from developing nuclear weapons within a limited understanding granting it some exemptions to access oil markets.

It is unclear whether Iran will stop enriching uranium to levels close to nuclear weapons.

The "Sunset Clause" date was the focus of discussions between Iran and the EU.

Last June, diplomatic sources revealed that Borrell's Deputy Secretary General, Enrique Mora, informed Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani during their meeting in Doha that Europe plans to maintain the missile sanctions.

In July, Tehran waved a serious response to any European move to maintain sanctions that extend to its ballistic missile program.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said at the time that Iran reserves the right to respond to any irresponsible action in a timely manner.

European diplomatic sources cited three reasons for keeping the sanctions: Russia's use of Iranian drones against Ukraine, the possibility Iran might transfer ballistic missiles to Russia, and depriving Iran of the nuclear deal's benefits given Tehran has violated the accord, albeit only after the United States did so first.

Resolution 2231 includes provisions calling on Iran not to take steps to design ballistic missiles that can carry nuclear weapons or that could later be developed to carry a nuclear weapon.

However, Iran did not adhere to the restrictions, maintaining activities that raised concerns among Western countries about the possibility of using them to develop intercontinental missiles.

Maintaining EU sanctions would reflect the West's desire to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

Tehran increased uranium enrichment to 20 percent, then 60 percent at the Natanz uranium enrichment facility, and later at the underground Fordow facility.

It suspended the Additional Protocol to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, closing additional surveillance cameras monitoring its sensitive activities.

- UN warning

The Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, warned on Monday that the world must not fail in efforts related to Iran, as happened with North Korea, which expelled agency inspectors and developed nuclear weapons.

According to Reuters, the IAEA has not had access to North Korea since Pyongyang expelled its inspectors in 2009, and it now observes its nuclear advances from afar, including through satellite imagery.

The IAEA has regular access to Iran's declared nuclear facilities.

But as a 2015 deal between Tehran and major powers has eroded over the past five years, extra monitoring equipment added under the agreement has been removed at Iran's behest, and the IAEA can no longer perform snap inspections at undeclared sites.

"We have to deploy every effort to prevent this problem [..] to prevent a country that has capabilities which could potentially lead to the development of nuclear weapons from doing it," he added.

The IAEA is the eyes and ears and presence of the international community in Iran, Grossi told an annual US State Department arms control conference, adding he was highly concerned about Iran's nuclear program.

"We saw the failure of this type in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, North Korea."

Despite repeated Western accusations, Tehran denies its desire to build a nuclear bomb.
However, Grossi recently expressed his regret at the declining interest of member states in this issue and the underestimation of its importance.

Last month, Iran's move responded to a call led by the US and three European allies at the IAEA's Board of Governors meeting last week for Tehran to cooperate immediately with the IAEA on issues including explaining uranium traces found at undeclared sites.



Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
TT

Japan PM Takaichi Reappointed Following Election

Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
Sanae Takaichi gestures at the Lower House of the Parliament in Tokyo, Japan, 18 February 2026. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

Japan's lower house formally reappointed Sanae Takaichi as prime minister on Wednesday, 10 days after her historic landslide election victory.

Takaichi, 64, became Japan's first woman premier in October and won a two-thirds majority for her party in the snap lower house elections on February 8.

She has pledged to bolster Japan's defenses to protect its territory and waters, likely further straining relations with Beijing, and to boost the flagging economy.

Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.

China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.

Beijing's top diplomat Wang Yi told the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that forces in Japan were seeking to "revive militarism".

In a policy speech expected for Friday, Takaichi will pledge to update Japan's "Free and Open Indo-Pacific" strategic framework, local media reported.

"Compared with when FOIP was first proposed, the international situation and security environment surrounding Japan have become significantly more severe," chief government spokesman Minoru Kihara said Monday.

In practice this will likely mean strengthening supply chains and promoting free trade through the Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) that Britain joined in 2024.

Takaichi's government also plans to pass legislation to establish a National Intelligence Agency and to begin concrete discussions towards an anti-espionage law, the reports said.

Takaichi has promised too to tighten rules surrounding immigration, even though Asia's number two economy is struggling with labor shortages and a falling population.

On Friday Takaichi will repeat her campaign pledge to suspend consumption tax on food for two years in order to ease inflationary pressures on households, local media said, according to AFP.

This promise has exacerbated market worries about Japan's colossal debt, with yields on long-dated government bonds hitting record highs last month.

Rahul Anand, the International Monetary Fund chief of mission in Japan, said Wednesday that debt interest payments would double between 2025 and 2031.

"Removing the consumption tax (on food) would weaken the tax revenue base, since the consumption tax is an important way to raise revenues without creating distortions in the economy," Anand said.

To ease such concerns, Takaichi will on Friday repeat her mantra of having a "responsible, proactive" fiscal policy and set a target on reducing government debt, the reports said.

She will also announce the creation of a cross-party "national council" to discuss taxation and how to fund ageing Japan's ballooning social security bill.

But Takaichi's first order of business will be obtaining approval for Japan's budget for the fiscal year beginning on April 1 after the process was delayed by the election.

The ruling coalition also wants to pass legislation that will outlaw destroying the Japanese flag, according to the media reports.

It wants too to accelerate debate on changing the constitution and on revising the imperial family's rules to ease a looming succession crisis.

Takaichi and many within her Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) oppose making it possible for a woman to become emperor, but rules could be changed to "adopt" new male members.


Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
TT

Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)

The jailed leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party, Abdullah Ocalan, has said that the Ankara-PKK peace process has entered its “second phase,” as the Turkish parliament sets the stage to vote on a draft report proposing legal reforms tied to peace efforts.

A delegation from the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party), including lawmakers Pervin Buldan, Mithat Sancar, and Ocalan’s lawyer Ozgur Faik, met with the jailed PKK leader on Monday on the secluded Imrali island.

Sancar said that the second phase will be focused on democratic integration into
Türkiye’s political system.

According to the lawmaker, the PKK leader considered the first phase the “negative dimension” concerned with ending the decades-old conflict between the armed group and Ankara.

“Now we are facing the positive phase,” Ocalan said, “the integration phase is the positive phase; it is the phase of construction.”

For the second phase to be implemented, Ocalan called on Turkish authorities to provide conditions that would allow him to put his “theoretical and practical capacity” to work.

The 60-page draft report on peace with the PKK was completed by a five-member writing team, which is chaired by Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmuş, and is scheduled for a vote on Wednesday.

The report is organized into seven sections.

In July last year, Ocalan said the group's armed struggle against Türkiye has ended and called for a full shift to democratic politics.


Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians shouted slogans against Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday as they gathered to commemorate protesters killed in a crackdown on nationwide demonstrations that rights groups said left thousands dead, according to videos verified by AFP.

The country's clerical authorities also staged a commemoration in the capital Tehran to mark the 40th day since the deaths at the peak of the protests on January 8 and 9.

Officials acknowledge more than 3,000 people died during the unrest, but attribute the violence to "terrorist acts", while rights groups say many more thousands of people were killed, shot dead by security forces in a violent crackdown.

The protests, sparked by anger over the rising cost of living before exploding in size and anti-government fervor, subsided after the crackdown, but in recent days Iranians have chanted slogans from the relative safety of homes and rooftops at night.

On Tuesday, videos verified by AFP showed crowds gathering at memorials for some of those killed again shouting slogans against the theocratic government in place since the 1979 revolution.

In videos geolocated by AFP shared on social media, a crowd in Abadan in western Iran holds up flowers and commemorative photos of a young man as they shout "death to Khamenei" and "long live the shah", in support of the ousted monarchy.

Another video from the same city shows people running in panic from the sounds of shots, though it wasn't immediately clear if they were from live fire.

In the northeastern city of Mashhad a crowd in the street chanted, "One person killed, thousands have his back", another verified video showed.

Gatherings also took place in other parts of the country, according to videos shared by rights groups.

- Official commemorations -

At the government-organized memorial in Tehran crowds carried Iranian flags and portraits of those killed as nationalist songs played and chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" echoed through the Khomeini Grand Mosalla mosque.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended a similar event at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.

Authorities have accused sworn enemies the United States and Israel of fueling "foreign-instigated riots", saying they hijacked peaceful protests with killings and vandalism.

Senior officials, including First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref and Revolutionary Guards commander Esmail Qaani, attended the ceremony.

"Those who supported rioters and terrorists are criminals and will face the consequences," Qaani said, according to Tasnim news agency.

International organizations have said evidence shows Iranian security forces targeted protesters with live fire under the cover of an internet blackout.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though rights groups warn the toll is likely far higher.

More than 53,500 people have been arrested in the ongoing crackdown, HRANA added, with rights groups warning protesters could face execution.

Tuesday's gatherings coincided with a second round of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva, amid heightened tensions after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Middle East following Iran's crackdown on the protests.