Iranian President Criticizes Azerbaijan for Establishing Relations with Israel

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Iranian President Criticizes Azerbaijan for Establishing Relations with Israel

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday received Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov in Tehran (Iranian Presidency)

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi on Monday criticized Azerbaijan for establishing relations with Israel, in an indirect hint at Baku’s appointment of its first ever ambassador to Israel last March.

The president made the remarks in a meeting in Tehran with Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Jeyhun Bayramov who is on a visit to the Iranian capital for the Second round of the 3+3 Regional Platform Meeting dubbed Time for Peace, Cooperation, and Progress in the South Caucasus.

“The Zionist regime is neither your friend, nor the friend of any other Muslim country,” Raisi said, adding that the situation in Gaza is an image before all the regional countries to see that the Westerners, especially the US, are not friends of regional countries and rather seek their racist interests.

Tensions between Tehran and Baku escalated for a month after Azerbaijan improved its diplomatic relations with Iran’s arch-enemy Israel, and opened an embassy in Israel in late March, despite Iran’s objections.

Iran had also accused Azerbaijan and the Iraqi Kurdistan Region of being behind attacks on its military and nuclear facilities. It said the assaults carried Israeli prints.

In July, Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen accused Iran of planning an attempted attack on his country's embassy in Azerbaijan, where security apparatuses have arrested an Afghan citizen for plotting the attack against the embassy.

On Monday, the Iranian President said his country considers negotiation and dialogue between neighboring countries as a solution to regional issues.

Raisi said after meeting with Bayramov that problems of the region cannot be solved with the intervention of foreign forces.

Bayramov is on a visit to the Iranian capital for the Second round of the 3+3 Regional Platform Meeting, which was also attended by the foreign ministers of Russia, Türkiye and Armenia to discuss the South Caucasus region's issues. The Georgian minister did not attend.

IRNA said the meeting focused on the developments going on in the Caucasus region, as well as peace talks between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at loggerheads over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh.

Recently, the two countries recently signaled willingness to sign a peace treaty formally ending their conflict following Azerbaijan's victory in Karabakh and the exodus of almost all the region's 120,000 ethnic Armenians.

On Monday, Azerbaijan said it had begun a series of joint military exercises with close ally Türkiye, the first since Baku retook the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh last month.

Azerbaijan's defense ministry said in a statement that the drills were being held across Azerbaijan, including in Baku, the Nakhichevan exclave which borders Türkiye, and in what the ministry called the “liberated territories” of Karabakh.

It added that up to 3,000 military personnel were participating in exercises named for the founder of modern Türkiye, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Türkiye, which supports Azerbaijan, and Russia, which is an ally of Armenia, play a major role in the region.

However, the latest attack on Karabakh has reshuffled the cards. Yerevan blamed Russia for failing to ensure Armenian security and to stop Azerbaijani forces, a claim that Moscow denies.

Yerevan fears that its wealthier, better-armed, and Turkish-backed neighbor may seek to bolster its influence by linking the Nakhchivan exclave to its territory after attacking southern Armenia.

Meanwhile, Armenia seems ready to resort to western countries to ensure its own protection.

“Iran, considering its powerful and influential position, is ready to help resolve the existing discords between Azerbaijan and Armenia,” Raisi told the Azerbaijani FM.

For his part, Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said, “The presence of outsiders in the region will not only fail to solve any problems but will also complicate the situation further.”

He added, “The war in South Caucasus has ended, and it is time for peace and cooperation.”

Meanwhile, Abdollahian referred to the recent developments in Gaza.

“What is happening in Gaza is a definite war crime committed by the Zionist entity against humanity,” he affirmed, calling on the international community to send a unified and strong message to the Israeli entity to stop war crimes against civilians immediately, lift the siege, send humanitarian aid, and oppose the forced displacement of the population of Gaza.



Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
TT

Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in ‌an interview made public on Wednesday, said that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences and called for restraint to find a solution to enable Iran to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Lavrov's interview with Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya television was aired a day after US and Iranian negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva to head off a new mounting crisis between Washington and Tehran, Reuters said.

"The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on ‌nuclear sites ‌under the control of the International Atomic ‌Energy ⁠Agency. From what ⁠we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident," Lavrov said in the interview, which was posted on his ministry's website.

"I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire."

Boosting ⁠tensions, he said, could undo the ‌positive steps of recent years, including ‌improved relations between Iran and nearby countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

A senior ‌US official told Reuters on Wednesday that Iran was ‌expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States after the talks in Geneva.

US national security advisers met in the White House on Wednesday and ‌were told all US military forces deployed to the region should be in place ⁠by mid-March, ⁠the official said.

The United States wants Iran to give up its nuclear program, and Iran has adamantly refused and denied it is trying to develop an atomic weapon.

Lavrov said Arab countries were sending signals to Washington "clearly calling for restraint and a search for an agreement that will not infringe on Iran's lawful rights and ... guarantee that Iran has a purely peaceful nuclear enrichment program".

Russia, he said, remained in close, regular contact with Iran's leaders "and we have no reason to doubt that Iran sincerely wants to resolve this problem on the basis of observing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty".


AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
TT

AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS

UN chief Antonio Guterres warned technology leaders Thursday of the risks of artificial intelligence, saying its future cannot be left to "the whims of a few billionaires".

Speaking at a global AI summit in India, the UN chief called on tech tycoons to support a $3 billion global fund to ensure open access to the fast-advancing technology for all.

"AI must belong to everyone," he said.

"The future of AI cannot be decided by a handful of countries -- or left to the whims of a few billionaires," he added, warning the world risked deepening inequality unless urgent steps were taken.

"Done right, AI can... accelerate breakthroughs in medicine, expand learning opportunities, strengthen food security, bolster climate action and disaster preparedness and improve access to vital public services," he said.

"But it can also deepen inequality, amplify bias and fuel harm."

The UN has set up an AI scientific advisory body to help countries make decisions about the revolutionary technology.

Guterres warned that people must be protected from exploitation, and that "no child should be a test subject for unregulated AI".

He pressed for global guardrails to ensure oversight and accountability, and the creation of "Global Fund on AI" to build basic capacity.

"Our target is $3 billion," he told the conference, which includes national leaders as well as tech CEOs, including Sam Altman of OpenAI and Google's Sundar Pichai.

"That's less than one percent of the annual revenue of a single tech company. A small price for AI diffusion that benefits all, including the businesses building AI."

Without investment, "many countries will be logged out of the AI age", exacerbating global divides, he said.

He also cautioned that as AI's energy and water demands soar, data centers must switch to clean power, rather than "shift costs to vulnerable communities".


US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
TT

US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)

Top national security officials have told US President Donald Trump the military is ready for potential strikes on Iran as soon as Saturday, but the timeline for any action is likely to extend beyond this weekend, sources familiar with the discussions told CBS News.

Trump has not yet made a final decision about whether to strike, said the officials, who spoke under condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national matters.

The conversations have been described as fluid and ongoing, as the White House weighs the risks of escalation and the political and military consequences of restraint, added CBS.

Over the next three days, the Pentagon is moving some personnel temporarily out of the Middle East region — primarily to Europe or back to the United States — ahead of potential action or counterattacks by Iran if the US were to move ahead with its operation, according to multiple officials.

It's standard practice for the Pentagon to shift assets and personnel ahead of a potential US military activity and doesn't necessarily signal an attack on Iran is imminent, one of the sources told CBS.

Contacted by CBS News on Wednesday afternoon, a Pentagon spokesperson said they had no information to provide.

Iran was discussed in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday, a US official and a senior military official told CBS News. All military forces deployed to the region are expected to be in place by mid-March.

Axios had also said that a war between the United States and Iran is looming — and there are several factors suggesting President Trump might push the button soon.

On Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".