Iranian Judiciary Demands US Pays $50 Bn for Assassinating Soleimani

A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)
A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)
TT

Iranian Judiciary Demands US Pays $50 Bn for Assassinating Soleimani

A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)
A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)

The Iranian judiciary demanded the US administration to pay compensation of about $50 billion for assassinating top Iranian military officer Qassem Soleimani in early 2020 in Iraq.
The ruling was issued three weeks before the fourth anniversary of the drone attack that killed Soleimani, along with Iraqi commander Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes, near Baghdad Airport on January 3, 2020, in a strike ordered by former President Donald Trump.
Back then, Trump confirmed that Washington succeeded in killing a "monster" who was planning a big attack" on US diplomats and military personnel.
Before his assassination, the chief of Iran's elite military Quds Force warned Trump not to take military action against Iran, saying if Washington started a war, Tehran would be the one to end it.
"We are near you, where you can't even imagine... Come. We are ready. If you begin the war, we will end the war," Soleimani said.
In response to the assassination, Tehran targeted two US bases in Iraq and repeated its demand for the withdrawal of US forces from the neighboring country.
The judiciary's Mizan agency reported that after 3,318 complaints made by citizens across the country, the 55th branch of the Legal Court for International Relations in Tehran ruled that the US administration and government officials should pay compensation and a fine for the damages amounting to $49.77 billion, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.
According to the website, the court convicted 42 US individuals and entities, including Trump and officials in his administration.
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) did not comment on the judicial announcement. The Iranian judiciary previously issued an arrest warrant for Trump.
Last February, the commander of the IRGC Aerospace Force, Amir-Ali Hajizadeh, said that plans to assassinate Trump and his Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, in retaliation for Soleimani "remain a primary goal" for his forces.
Earlier this year, the Biden administration extended protection to Pompeo and his top Iran aide Brian Hook, adding that the threats to the former officials remain "serious and credible."
Meanwhile, Tehran accused Washington of "complicity in the crimes" of Israel in its war against the Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip.
In turn, the US said Iran, which supports Hamas, is behind the attacks launched by its affiliated groups on US forces in Iraq and Syria.
Soleimani died when he was sixty-two years old after a long career during which he rose through the IRGC ranks until he reached the leadership of the Quds Force in the late nineties.
He is credited with significantly expanding Iranian intelligence and military operations in the Middle East.
In late October, an Iranian court ordered the US government to pay $420 million in compensation to victims of an abortive 1980 operation to free hostages held at the US Embassy.
Shortly after the 1979 Iranian revolution toppled the Western-backed Shah, Iranian students stormed the embassy in Tehran and took more than 50 US hostages for 444 days.

The students called for the extradition of the deposed Shah, who was receiving medical care in the United States.
In April 1980, Washington attempted to free the hostages in the top-secret Operation Eagle Claw, which ended in disaster after running into sandstorms and mechanical problems.
Five months after the hostage crisis, Washington severed diplomatic relations and imposed an embargo on Tehran.
In 2016, the US Supreme Court ordered that Iranian assets frozen in the United States should be paid to victims of attacks that Washington blamed on Tehran, including the 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut and a 1996 blast in Saudi Arabia.

 

 



Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
TT

Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN

A building collapse caused by an explosion in Pakistan's southern megacity of Karachi killed at least 16 people on Thursday, including children, officials said.

More than a dozen people were injured in the incident in the Soldier Bazaar neighborhood of Karachi at around 4:00 am, when Muslim families start preparing Sehri, the pre-sunrise meal eaten during Ramadan.


Australian Police Investigate Threatening Letter to Country's Largest Mosque

FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo
TT

Australian Police Investigate Threatening Letter to Country's Largest Mosque

FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A security guard stands outside the Lakemba Imam Ali bin Abi Talib Mosque as people arrive for Friday prayers in Sydney, Australia, December 19, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo

Australian police said on Thursday they had launched an investigation after a threatening letter was sent to the country’s largest mosque, the third such incident in the lead-up to the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

The letter sent to Lakemba Mosque in Sydney’s west on Wednesday contained a drawing of a pig and a threat to kill the "Muslim race", local media reported. Police said they had taken the letter for forensic testing, and would continue to patrol ‌religious sites including ‌the mosque, as well as community events.

The latest letter ‌comes ⁠weeks after a ⁠similar message was mailed to the mosque, depicting Muslim people inside a mosque on fire.

Police have also arrested and charged a 70-year-old man in connection with a third threatening letter sent to Lakemba Mosque's staff in January.

The Lebanese Muslim Association, which runs the mosque, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) it had written to the government to request more funding for additional security guards and ⁠CCTV cameras.

Some 5,000 people are expected to attend ‌the mosque each night during Ramadan. More ‌than 60% of residents in the suburb of Lakemba identify as Muslim, according to ‌the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Bilal El-Hayek, mayor of Canterbury-Bankstown council, where Lakemba ‌is located, said the community was feeling "very anxious".

"I've heard first-hand from people saying that they won't be sending their kids to practice this Ramadan because they're very concerned about things that might happen in local mosques," AFP quoted him as saying.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese ‌condemned the recent string of threats.

"It is outrageous that people just going about commemorating their faith, particularly during the ⁠holy month ⁠for Muslims of Ramadan, are subject to this sort of intimidation," he told ABC radio.

"I have said repeatedly we need to turn down the temperature of political discourse in this country, and we certainly need to do that."

Anti-Muslim sentiment has been growing in Australia since the war in Gaza War in late 2023, according to a recent report commissioned by the government.

The Islamophobia Register Australia has also documented a 740% rise in reports following the Bondi mass shooting on December 14, where authorities allege two gunmen inspired by ISIS killed 15 people attending a Jewish holiday celebration.

"There's been a massive increase post-Bondi," Mayor El-Hayek said. "Without a doubt, this is the worst I have ever seen it. There's a lot of tension out there."


Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
TT

Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in ‌an interview made public on Wednesday, said that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences and called for restraint to find a solution to enable Iran to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Lavrov's interview with Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya television was aired a day after US and Iranian negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva to head off a new mounting crisis between Washington and Tehran, Reuters said.

"The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on ‌nuclear sites ‌under the control of the International Atomic ‌Energy ⁠Agency. From what ⁠we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident," Lavrov said in the interview, which was posted on his ministry's website.

"I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire."

Boosting ⁠tensions, he said, could undo the ‌positive steps of recent years, including ‌improved relations between Iran and nearby countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

A senior ‌US official told Reuters on Wednesday that Iran was ‌expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States after the talks in Geneva.

US national security advisers met in the White House on Wednesday and ‌were told all US military forces deployed to the region should be in place ⁠by mid-March, ⁠the official said.

The United States wants Iran to give up its nuclear program, and Iran has adamantly refused and denied it is trying to develop an atomic weapon.

Lavrov said Arab countries were sending signals to Washington "clearly calling for restraint and a search for an agreement that will not infringe on Iran's lawful rights and ... guarantee that Iran has a purely peaceful nuclear enrichment program".

Russia, he said, remained in close, regular contact with Iran's leaders "and we have no reason to doubt that Iran sincerely wants to resolve this problem on the basis of observing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty".