Hungary’s Orban Blocks Aid for Ukraine, Says He Can Still Halt EU Accession 

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban arrives for a roundtable meeting of the European Council at the European headquarters in Brussels, on December 14, 2023. (AFP)
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban arrives for a roundtable meeting of the European Council at the European headquarters in Brussels, on December 14, 2023. (AFP)
TT

Hungary’s Orban Blocks Aid for Ukraine, Says He Can Still Halt EU Accession 

Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban arrives for a roundtable meeting of the European Council at the European headquarters in Brussels, on December 14, 2023. (AFP)
Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban arrives for a roundtable meeting of the European Council at the European headquarters in Brussels, on December 14, 2023. (AFP)

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban on Friday stood by his decision to veto a 50-billion-euro ($54.94 billion) EU aid package for Ukraine and said he could still halt Kyiv's accession to the bloc after membership talks were given the green light.

At a summit in Brussels on Thursday, other European Union leaders bypassed objections from Orban by getting him to leave the room while they took the historic step of agreeing to start accession negotiations with a country at war.

But they could not overcome resistance from Orban - who maintains close ties to Russia - to a revamp of the bloc's budget to channel vital financial support to Ukraine and provide more cash for other EU priorities such as managing migration.

The breakthrough on a membership path came at a critical time for Ukraine with its counter-offensive against Russian invasion forces having failed to make major gains and with US President Joe Biden so far unable to get a $60 billion package for Kyiv through the US Congress.

Orban told state radio on Friday that he had to block the aid package to Ukraine - part of a broader multi-year budget plan - to make sure Hungary will get the funds it wants from the EU budget.

"I have always said that if someone wants to modify the budget - and they want to - then it is a great opportunity for Hungary to make it clear that it must get what it is entitled to. Not half of it, or one-fourth," he said.

The EU leaders ended talks on the financial package, which requires unanimity, in the early hours of Friday morning and said they would try again in January, with some voicing optimism a deal could be clinched then.

If there is no deal at that time, member states could also provide aid individually or strike separate deals.

As for the decision to agree to start membership talks with Ukraine, hailed by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy as a victory for Ukraine and Europe, Orban stressed the talks would be very long - and Hungary could still block the process later.

"This is a bad decision," the nationalist Hungarian leader said. "Hungary bears no responsibility for this, we can halt this process later on, and if needed we will pull the brakes, and the ultimate decision will be made by Hungarian parliament."

The news on the financing struck a bittersweet note for Ukraine, coming just hours after leaders agreed to open membership talks.

Although membership would likely be many years away, the decision at the Brussels summit takes Ukraine a step closer to its long-term strategic goal of anchoring itself in the West and liberating itself from Russia's orbit.

EU leaders were set to reconvene on Friday to discuss other topics including the Israel-Hamas war.



Netanyahu Says India's Modi to Visit Israel Wednesday

Indian PM Narendra Modi shakes hands with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu during an exchange of cooperation agreements in a ceremony in Jerusalem July 5, 2017. (Reuters)
Indian PM Narendra Modi shakes hands with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu during an exchange of cooperation agreements in a ceremony in Jerusalem July 5, 2017. (Reuters)
TT

Netanyahu Says India's Modi to Visit Israel Wednesday

Indian PM Narendra Modi shakes hands with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu during an exchange of cooperation agreements in a ceremony in Jerusalem July 5, 2017. (Reuters)
Indian PM Narendra Modi shakes hands with Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu during an exchange of cooperation agreements in a ceremony in Jerusalem July 5, 2017. (Reuters)

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Israel on Wednesday, his counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu announced, saying the trip will help forge a new alliance to counter what he described as "radical" adversaries.

"On Wednesday, the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, will arrive here; he will deliver a speech in the Knesset," Netanyahu said Sunday at the opening of a cabinet meeting, referring to Israel's parliament.

The premier hailed growing ties between the two countries, according to AFP.

"The fabric of relations has grown tighter, and (Modi) is coming here so that we can tighten it even more," he said, mentioning cooperation in the economic, diplomatic and security spheres.

Modi visited Israel as prime minister in 2017, before Netanyahu made a reciprocal visit to India the following year.

Netanyahu said the Israel-India axis will be part of a wider regional alliance to counter common "radical" adversaries.

"In the vision I see before me, we will create an entire system, essentially a 'hexagon' of alliances around or within the Middle East," the Israeli leader said.

Arch-foes Israel and Iran also faced each other in a first direct confrontation last June in a 12-day war in which the Israeli and US militaries targeted Tehran's nuclear facilities and ballistic missile arsenal.

"All of these nations share a different perception, and our cooperation can yield great results and, of course, ensure our resilience and our future," Netanyahu said of the emerging alliance.


Iranian Students Rally for Second Day as Fears of War with US Mount

People walk near a mural featuring images of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, on a street in Tehran, Iran, February 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
People walk near a mural featuring images of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, on a street in Tehran, Iran, February 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
TT

Iranian Students Rally for Second Day as Fears of War with US Mount

People walk near a mural featuring images of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, on a street in Tehran, Iran, February 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS
People walk near a mural featuring images of Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, on a street in Tehran, Iran, February 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

Iranian students gathered for fresh pro- and anti-government rallies Sunday commemorating those killed in recent protests, as fears loomed of renewed conflict with the United States over the country's nuclear programme.

The initial demonstrations were sparked in December by economic hardship in the sanctions-hit country, but quickly expanded into mass anti-government protests that marked one of the largest challenges to the Islamic republic's clerical leadership in years.

US President Donald Trump had initially cheered on the protesters, threatening to intervene on their behalf as authorities launched a deadly crackdown, but his threats soon shifted to Iran's nuclear programme, which the West believes is aimed at developing atomic weapons, AFP reported.

Washington and Tehran have since returned to the negotiating table, but Trump has simultaneously pursued a major military build-up in the Middle East aimed at pressuring Iran to cut a deal.

Following campus rallies commemorating the protest dead on Saturday, the Fars news agency on Sunday published videos of fresh crowds of dozens of people waving Iranian flags and carrying memorial photographs at universities in the capital Tehran.

One showed a rowdy gathering at Sharif University of Technology shouting "death to the shah" -- a reference to the monarchy ousted by the 1979 Islamic revolution -- as they faced off with another group, with men in uniforms between them.

Fars said there had been "tensions" at at least three universities in Tehran where some students chanted "anti-establishment" slogans.

Iran International, a media outlet based outside the country and branded a "terrorist" organization by Tehran, shared a video on social media of students holding up the pre-revolution flag at Sharif University, as well as videos of rallies at other institutions of higher learning.

A video geolocated by AFP of what appeared to be the demonstration at Sharif University showed a large crowd chanting anti-government slogans as they thronged around students waving the flag of the toppled monarchy.

The authorities acknowledge more than 3,000 deaths in the unrest, including members of the security forces and bystanders, but say the violence was caused by "terrorist acts" fuelled by Iran's enemies.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA), however, has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though the toll may be far higher.

- Negotiations -

Representatives of the US and Iran recently met in Geneva for a second round of Oman-mediated nuclear talks, with Iran promising to send a draft proposal for a deal to avert military action in the coming days.

Axios reported on Sunday, citing an unnamed senior US official, that if Iran submitted its proposal in the next 48 hours, Washington was ready to meet again "in Geneva on Friday in order to start detailed negotiations to see if we can get a nuclear deal".

The US has dispatched two aircraft carriers to the region, along with other jets and ships, and has also shored up its air defenses in the Middle East.

Trump's chief Middle East negotiator Steve Witkoff said Saturday in a Fox News interview that the president was questioning why Iran had not yet given in to US pressure.

"He's curious as to why they haven't... I don't want to use the word 'capitulated', but why they haven't capitulated," he said.

"Why, under this pressure, with the amount of seapower and naval power over there, why haven't they come to us and said, 'We profess we don't want a weapon, so here's what we're prepared to do'?"

Iran has long denied it is trying to produce nuclear weapons, but insists on its right to enrich uranium for civilian purposes.

- Fears of war -

A previous round of nuclear diplomacy last year was interrupted by Israel's surprise bombing campaign against the Islamic republic.

That sparked a 12-day conflict in June that the US briefly joined with strikes on nuclear facilities

Iran has maintained that it will defend itself in the event of any new attack.

Despite the latest talks, Iranians' fears of a new conflict have grown.

"I don't sleep well at night even while taking pills," Tehran resident Hamid told AFP, saying he worried for his "family's health... my kids and grandchildren".

IT technician Mina Ahmadvand, 46, believes that "at this stage, war between Iran and the US as well as Israel is inevitable and I've prepared myself for that eventuality".

"I don't want war to happen, but one should not fool around with the realities on the ground."

The concerns have prompted several foreign countries to urge their citizens to leave Iran, including Sweden, Serbia, Poland and Australia, which warned "commercial flights are currently available but this could change quickly".


France to Summon US Ambassador Charles Kushner over US Comments on Activist’s Death

The French national flag is raised at a French embassy, December 17, 2024. (Reuters)
The French national flag is raised at a French embassy, December 17, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

France to Summon US Ambassador Charles Kushner over US Comments on Activist’s Death

The French national flag is raised at a French embassy, December 17, 2024. (Reuters)
The French national flag is raised at a French embassy, December 17, 2024. (Reuters)

France will summon US Ambassador Charles Kushner to protest comments by the Trump administration over the beating death of a far-right activist, the foreign affairs minister said.

Jean-Noel Barrot was reacting to a statement by the State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau, which posted on X that “reports, corroborated by the French Minister of the Interior, that Quentin Deranque was killed by left-wing militants, should concern us all.”

Deranque, a far-right activist, died of brain injuries last week from a beating in the French city of Lyon. He was attacked during a fight on the margins of a student meeting where a far-left lawmaker, Rima Hassan, was a keynote speaker, The AP news reported.

His killing highlighted a climate of deep political tensions ahead of next year’s presidential vote. French President Emmanuel Macron called for calm on Saturday as some 3,000 people joined a march in Lyon organized by far-right groups to pay tribute to Deranque.

“We reject any instrumentalization of this tragedy, which has plunged a French family into mourning, for political ends,” Barrot said. “We have no lessons to learn, particularly on the issue of violence, from the international reactionary movement.”

The State Department said in its post that “violent radical leftism is on the rise and its role in Quentin Deranque’s death demonstrates the threat it poses to public safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and expect to see the perpetrators of violence brought to justice.”

Seven people have been handed preliminary charges. The Lyon public prosecutor’s office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused were charged on all three counts. The seventh was charged with complicity in intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy.

Barrot said he has other topics to discuss with Kushner, including US decisions to impose sanctions on Thierry Breton, a former EU commissioner responsible for supervising social media rules, and Nicolas Guillou, a French judge at the International Criminal Court.

Barrot said both are targeted by “unjustified and unjustifiable” sanctions.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry did not say when the meeting will take place.

Kushner had already been summoned in August last year over his letter to Macron alleging the country did not do enough to combat antisemitism. France’s foreign officials met with a representative of the US ambassador since the diplomat did not show up.