North Korea Tour Operators Hopeful Ahead of Country's Reopening

Kim Jong Un (C) has poured huge resources into developing the Samjiyon area, with the vast project including new apartments, hotels and a ski resort. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP
Kim Jong Un (C) has poured huge resources into developing the Samjiyon area, with the vast project including new apartments, hotels and a ski resort. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP
TT

North Korea Tour Operators Hopeful Ahead of Country's Reopening

Kim Jong Un (C) has poured huge resources into developing the Samjiyon area, with the vast project including new apartments, hotels and a ski resort. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP
Kim Jong Un (C) has poured huge resources into developing the Samjiyon area, with the vast project including new apartments, hotels and a ski resort. STR / KCNA VIA KNS/AFP

A Beijing-based North Korea tour operator expressed hopes of fresh business on Thursday following an unexpected announcement that the country would reopen to foreign tourists this winter.
Koryo Tours said on Wednesday they had received notice from isolated North Korea that tourism to the northeastern city of Samjiyon would resume in December after nearly five years of Covid-triggered closure.
"Our initial reaction is positive of course. It's been a long wait," Koryo Tours general manager Simon Cockerell told AFP on Thursday.
"Demand has been strong throughout the closure so I would expect a decent rebound (in business)," he said, adding "there are a lot of folks who have been anxious and keen" to visit nuclear-armed North Korea since the pandemic.
KTG Tours, also based in China, said on its Facebook page Wednesday that it had been told "tourists will be able to go to Samjiyon (Mt. Paektu area) this winter".
"Exact dates to be confirmed. So far just Samjiyon has been officially confirmed but we think that Pyongyang and other places will open too!" it said.
Samjiyon, near North Korea's mountainous northern border with China, is a gateway city to Mount Paektu, where official narratives say the late supreme leader Kim Jong Il was born.
His son and successor, Kim Jong Un, has poured huge resources into developing the area, with the vast project including new apartments, hotels and a ski resort.
North Korean state media had not mentioned the reopening of the border by mid-afternoon on Thursday.
'Idiosyncratic'
Cockerell told AFP that opening up to tourists in the bitterly cold, remote area in December was unexpected but "a positive step for sure".
"Doing it in the far north in the middle of winter is idiosyncratic, but the DPRK is nothing if not an idiosyncratic place," he said, using the official acronym for North Korea.
"For our company, it hopefully means we can start to fulfil our mandate again which is to offer as many people the chance to go there as possible, to increase engagement and interaction."
North Korea sealed off its borders in early 2020 to protect itself from Covid-19, with even its own nationals prevented from entering for years.
But signs of reopening began in the second half of 2023, with the resumption of international flights allowing stranded nationals to finally return home.
A group of Russian tourists visited in February 2024, at a time when ties between Moscow and Pyongyang were growing closer.
Tourism to the North was limited before the pandemic, with tour companies saying around 5,000 Western tourists visited each year.
US citizens made up about 20 percent of the market before Washington banned travel following the imprisonment and subsequent death of American student Otto Warmbier.
"I'd caution against over-interpreting this opening," Cockerell said. "It's not necessarily a message to the world or anything like that. It's just a slow and small initial opening to restabilize an industry that existed for decades previously."
Koryo Tours warned on its website that, after a hiatus of almost five years, the early days of the tourism restart may not go smoothly.
"For those hoping to visit on one of the sooner tours, we would like to emphasize that things may be a little more chaotic than usual," it said.
But Cockerell remains optimistic. "This is finally a positive piece of news, hopefully to be followed by more of the same," he said.



Mexican Army Kills Leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel

A vehicle sits charred after being set on fire, on a road in Guadalajara, Jalisco state, Mexico, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026, after the death of the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, "El Mencho." (AP Photo/Alejandra Leyva)
A vehicle sits charred after being set on fire, on a road in Guadalajara, Jalisco state, Mexico, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026, after the death of the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, "El Mencho." (AP Photo/Alejandra Leyva)
TT

Mexican Army Kills Leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel

A vehicle sits charred after being set on fire, on a road in Guadalajara, Jalisco state, Mexico, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026, after the death of the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, "El Mencho." (AP Photo/Alejandra Leyva)
A vehicle sits charred after being set on fire, on a road in Guadalajara, Jalisco state, Mexico, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026, after the death of the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, "El Mencho." (AP Photo/Alejandra Leyva)

The Mexican army killed the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, “El Mencho,” in an operation Sunday, a federal official said.

The official, who requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said it happened during a military operation in the western state of Jalisco.

It followed several hours of roadblocks with burning vehicles in Jalisco and other states, The Associated Press reported. Such tactics are commonly used by the cartels to block military operations.

Videos circulating social media showed plumes of smoke billowing over the city of Puerto Vallarta, a major city in Jalisco, and sprinting through the airport of the state's capital in panic.

The US State Department had offered a reward of up to $15 million for information leading to the arrest of El Mencho. The Jalisco New Generation Cartel is one of the most powerful and fasted growing criminal organizations in Mexico.

In February, the Trump administration designated the cartel as a foreign terrorist organization.

It has been one of the most aggressive cartels in its attacks on the military—including helicopters—and a pioneer in launching explosives from drones and installing mines. In 2020, it carried out a spectacular assassination attempt with grenades and high-powered rifles in the heart of Mexico City against the then head of the capital’s police force and now head of federal security.

The DEA considers this cartel to be as powerful as the Sinaloa cartel, one of Mexico's most infamous criminal groups, with a presence in all 50 US states where it distributes tons of drugs. It is one of the main suppliers of cocaine to the US market and, like the Sinaloa cartel, earns billions from the production of fentanyl and methamphetamines.


Secret Service Kills Armed Man Trying to Access Trump Florida Estate

A Palm Beach County Sheriff Office vehicle patrols a road block near the Mar-a-Lago club in West Palm Beach, Florida, USA, 22 February 2026. EPA/CRISTOBAL HERRERA-ULASHKEVICH
A Palm Beach County Sheriff Office vehicle patrols a road block near the Mar-a-Lago club in West Palm Beach, Florida, USA, 22 February 2026. EPA/CRISTOBAL HERRERA-ULASHKEVICH
TT

Secret Service Kills Armed Man Trying to Access Trump Florida Estate

A Palm Beach County Sheriff Office vehicle patrols a road block near the Mar-a-Lago club in West Palm Beach, Florida, USA, 22 February 2026. EPA/CRISTOBAL HERRERA-ULASHKEVICH
A Palm Beach County Sheriff Office vehicle patrols a road block near the Mar-a-Lago club in West Palm Beach, Florida, USA, 22 February 2026. EPA/CRISTOBAL HERRERA-ULASHKEVICH

US Secret Service agents fatally shot a man armed with a shotgun who breached the security perimeter of President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Although the president often spends weekends at his resort, he and first lady Melania Trump were at the White House when the breach occurred.

Officials said the incident happened around 1:30 am (0630 GMT).

The suspect was spotted by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property, carrying a shotgun and a fuel can, the Secret Service said.

Agents confronted the man and told him to disarm but he raised his gun.

He was identified as Austin Tucker Martin, 21, of North Carolina.

"The only words that we said to him was 'drop the items,'" Palm Beach County sheriff Ric Bradshaw told reporters.

"At which time he put down the gas can, raised the shotgun to a shooting position," Bradshaw said.

A deputy and two Secret Service agents then shot him. The man was pronounced deceased and no US officers were injured.

The Secret Service said no one under its protection was present in Mar-a-Lago at the time.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt blamed Democrats for an ongoing partial government shutdown affecting the Department of Homeland Security, which includes the Secret Service.

"It's shameful and reckless that Democrats have chosen to shut down their Department," she wrote on X.

Democrats oppose any new funding for DHS until major changes are implemented in the way the Trump administration conducts its massive and sometimes violent deportation campaign.

Trump has been the target of several assassination plots or attempts.

Earlier this month, Ryan Routh, 59, who plotted to assassinate the president at a Florida golf course in September 2024, two months before the last US election, was sentenced to life in prison.

Routh's planned attack on Trump came two months after an assassination attempt on the Republican leader in Pennsylvania, where 20-year-old Matthew Crooks fired several shots during a rally, one of them grazing Trump's right ear.

That attack, in which a rallygoer was killed, proved to be a turning point in Trump's return to power. It yielded a now famous photo of a bloodied Trump raising his fist to the crowd and urging his followers to "fight, fight."

Crooks was immediately shot and killed by security forces and his motive remains unknown.


Iran Reportedly Agreed Secret Shoulder-fired Missile Deal with Russia

A Russian soldier holds a "Verba" launch unit. Photo: A grab from a Russian army video
A Russian soldier holds a "Verba" launch unit. Photo: A grab from a Russian army video
TT

Iran Reportedly Agreed Secret Shoulder-fired Missile Deal with Russia

A Russian soldier holds a "Verba" launch unit. Photo: A grab from a Russian army video
A Russian soldier holds a "Verba" launch unit. Photo: A grab from a Russian army video

Iran agreed a secret 500 million euro ($589 million) arms deal with Russia to acquire thousands of advanced shoulder-fired missiles, the Financial Times reported on Sunday.

The agreement, signed in Moscow in December, commits Russia to deliver 500 man-portable "Verba" launch units and 2,500 "9M336" missiles over three years, the FT said, citing leaked Russian documents seen by the FT and several people familiar with the deal.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report.

Under the ⁠deal the deliveries ⁠are scheduled in three tranches, running from 2027 through 2029, the FT said.

The deal was negotiated between Russian state arms exporter Rosoboronexport and the Moscow representative of Iran's Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics (MODAFL), the FT said.

Tehran ⁠formally requested the systems last July, according to a contract seen by the FT. In June last year, US forces struck Iran's three main nuclear sites as the country joined Israel's military campaign against Iran.

President Donald Trump said Iran's key nuclear facilities were destroyed in the attack. However, according to a preliminary US intelligence assessment at the time, the US airstrikes did not destroy Iran's ⁠nuclear ⁠capability and only set it back by a few months.

Iranian officials have repeatedly said Tehran had recovered from the damage incurred during the war and that its capabilities are better than ever.