Harris Hopes to Turn Ukraine War into Winning Issue in Battle With Trump for Polish American Votes

Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)
Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)
TT

Harris Hopes to Turn Ukraine War into Winning Issue in Battle With Trump for Polish American Votes

Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)
Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)

Democrats are stepping up their outreach to Polish Americans in this year's presidential election as Kamala Harris and Donald Trump vie for support from a community that could play a decisive role in razor-thin battleground state contests.
Harris hopes to capitalize on Polish Americans' historic animosity toward Russia and on Trump's hesitancy to back Ukraine during last week's debate. The Democratic vice president's team organized a national call with Polish American supporters on Wednesday to encourage local networks to hold their own events and spread the campaign's message, The Associated Press said.
Although Polish Americans are not a particularly large demographic, many of them live in the so-called “blue wall” states that are critical to victory for either candidate. There are an estimated 784,000 in Michigan, 758,000 in Pennsylvania and 481,000 in Wisconsin, three places that Harris is visiting this week.
“We’re talking about an election where a swing of a few thousand voters in any of those states could make all the difference,” said Tom Malinowski, a Polish-born former Democratic congressman from New Jersey.
Filip Jotevski, the newly hired point person for networking with diaspora and ethnic communities, said on Wednesday's Harris organizing call that if Trump returns to power “he'll sell out Ukraine” after spending years “cozying up to Vladimir Putin.” Trump, for his part, is slated to visit a Polish American shrine in Pennsylvania on Sunday for the unveiling of a monument to the anti-communist Solidarity movement. The Republican candidate will be there at the same time as Polish President Andrzej Duda.
The Polish American community was pushed into the spotlight during the Sept. 10 debate in Philadelphia, when Trump twice refused to say whether he wanted Ukraine to win the war against Russia.
"Negotiate a deal," Trump said. "Because we have to stop all of these human lives from being destroyed.”
Harris fired back that if Trump had been president when the invasion took place, "Putin would be sitting in Kyiv with his eyes on the rest of Europe."
“Why don’t you tell the 800,000 Polish Americans right here in Pennsylvania how quickly you would give up," she said.
Some were surprised yet pleased to hear their community mentioned on the debate stage.
“She knew what she was talking about,” said Tony Pol, a 67-year-old retired fire chief in Erie, Pennsylvania, who spent a quarter century helping run a Polish American fraternal organization. “I think that’s the concern of everybody — if Ukraine goes down, then Poland goes next, and that’s very concerning.”
Gosia Dodi, originally from Poland and now an American citizen living in western Michigan, said she “absolutely agrees” with Harris that Russia could target Poland if Ukraine loses. The 61-year-old described Trump's affection for Putin as “dangerous for Poland.”
“I want the war over, but not the way he’s saying," she said. "He thinks he can fix everything within one day or something, which is ridiculous."
After Poland was devastated in World War II, the country spent decades as a satellite state of the Soviet Union. A revolution ended communist rule in 1989, paving the way for the country's modern multiparty democracy.
Poland became a NATO member in 1999. Timothy L. Kuzma, a Pittsburgh resident who leads the Polish Falcons of America, a fraternal organization with 19th-century roots in Chicago’s large Polish immigrant community, said his community's voters want to see a candidate that's committed to strong transatlantic bonds.
“If either candidate doesn’t give those kinds of assurances, that’s problematic," he said. “The candidates, both parties, have to pledge their support to Poland, to Ukraine, to NATO and to the overall security of Eastern Europe — and that’s all of Eastern Europe — and Europe as well."
Trump has previously suggested withdrawing the United States from NATO, which would devastate the alliance, and he’s demanded that allies increase their defense spending to reduce the burden on Washington. If they didn't, Trump warned, the US would not uphold its treaty obligations and “would encourage them” — meaning Russia — “to do whatever the hell they want.”
Pete Alibali, 53, immigrated from Soviet-controlled Poland when he was 16, because his mother, a chemist, wanted to advance her career without becoming a communist party member.
A lifelong Democrat who now lives in Madison, Wisconsin, Alibali views Putin as a “predator and a continuation of the Soviets." Beyond his concern for his native Poland, he worries that tiny Baltic nations could also be threatened if Ukraine is defeated.
Alibali acknowledged that many Polish Americans are conservative, growing up reading Polish newspapers, working in Polish-owned businesses, listening to Polish radio and attending their neighborhood Catholic church. He described his uncle, who lives in Chicago, as a “very rabid Trump supporter.”
“Trump divided my family,” Alibali said.
Polish American voters have swung back and forth between Democrats and Republicans in presidential elections over the years. They supported Trump in 2016 but backed President Joe Biden in 2020.
Malinowski said Trump's visit to the shrine "shows that he’s nervous that he might be losing ground among a group of voters that he may have taken for granted.” He also downplayed any suggestion of friendship between Trump and Duda, a right-wing politician who once suggested renaming a military base in his country as Fort Trump.
“I know the Poles are nervous," he said. "The advice they’re getting is, cultivate Trump just in case. They’re doing it with fingers crossed.”
Tom Kolano, a 55-year-old Republican in suburban Pittsburgh whose ancestors were Polish immigrants, said he's encouraged by Trump's relationship with Duda.
“I’m not worried that President Trump will abandon Ukraine,” Kolano said. “Here’s one big reason — I think Poland will have a lot to say about that.”
He pointed out that Duda and his political rival, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, used a visit to Washington in March to press a divided Congress to break its impasse over replenishing funds for Ukraine at a critical moment in the war.
John Laka, 66, of Appleton, Wisconsin, believes that Trump will be stronger overall on foreign policy than Harris.
“I just don’t have a lot of confidence in her as a leader or president,” he said. “She’s just really lacking.”
Laka's parents immigrated to the United States from Poland, and he's not sure how much the country is really imperiled by Russia.
“The threat of Putin going further is always going to be there unless there’s that idea of deterrence and right now we’re not deterring going anywhere,” he said.



Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
TT

Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)

The Israeli army said it was on "defensive alert" as the United States threatens potential military action against Iran, but insisted there were no changes in its guidelines for the public.

"We are closely monitoring regional developments and are aware of the public discourse concerning Iran. The (Israeli military) is on defensive alert," army spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said in a video statement published Friday.

"Our eyes are wide open in all directions, and our finger is more than ever on the trigger in response to any change in the operational reality," he added, but emphasized "there is no change in the instructions".


Trump Says Weighing Strike on Iran as Tehran Says Draft Deal Coming Soon

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Trump Says Weighing Strike on Iran as Tehran Says Draft Deal Coming Soon

US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)
US President Donald Trump speaks during a Governors Working Breakfast in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 20 February 2026. (EPA)

US President Donald Trump said he was considering a limited strike on Iran after ordering a major naval buildup in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran to cut a deal to curb its nuclear program.

The latest threat came after Iran's foreign minister said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days following negotiations between the two sides in Geneva earlier this week.

Trump had suggesting on Thursday that "bad things" would happen if Tehran did not strike a deal within 10 days, which he subsequently extended to 15.

Asked by a reporter on Friday whether he was contemplating a limited military strike, Trump answered: "The most I can say -- I am considering it."

After the talks in Geneva, Tehran said the two sides had agreed to submit drafts of a potential agreement, which Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told US media would be the "next step".

"I believe that in the next two, three days, that would be ready, and after final confirmation by my superiors, that would be handed over to Steve Witkoff," he said, referring to Trump's main Middle East negotiator.

Araghchi also said US negotiators had not requested that Tehran end its nuclear enrichment program, contradicting statements from American officials.

"We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment," he said in an interview released Friday by US TV network MS NOW.

"What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran's nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever," he added.

His comments stand in contrast to information relayed by high-ranking US officials, including Trump, who has repeatedly said Iran must not be allowed to enrich uranium at any level.

Western countries accuse Tehran of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons, which it denies, though it insists on its right to enrichment for civilian purposes.

Iran, for its part, is seeking to negotiate an end to sanctions that have proven to be a massive drag on its economy.

Economic hardships sparked protests in December that evolved into a nationwide anti-government movement last month, prompting a crackdown from authorities that left thousands dead, rights groups say.

- 'No ultimatum' -

The two foes held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war last June, which the US joined by striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

Washington has pursued a major military build-up in the region in tandem with the talks, and both sides have traded threats of military action for weeks.

On Thursday, Trump again suggested the US would attack Iran if it did not make a deal within the timeframe he laid out.

"We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen," Trump told the inaugural meeting of the "Board of Peace", his initiative for the post-war Gaza Strip.

Iran's ambassador to the UN, Amir Saeid Iravani, warned that US bases, facilities and assets would be "legitimate targets" if the United States followed through on its threats.

Araghchi, however, insisted that "there is no ultimatum".

"We only talk with each other how we can have a fast deal. And a fast deal is something that both sides are interested about," he said.

"We are under sanctions, (so) obviously any day that sanctions are terminated sooner it would be better for us," he said, adding Iran had "no reason to delay".

Washington has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran's ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region -- issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.

The Israeli army said Friday that it was on "defensive alert" regarding the situation with Iran, but that its guidelines for the public remained unchanged.

Ratcheting up the pressure, Trump has deployed a significant naval force to the region.

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, he ordered a second carrier, the Gerald Ford, to depart for the Middle East.

Iranian naval forces also conducted military drills this week in the Gulf and around the strategic Strait of Hormuz in their own show of force.


UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
TT

UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Britain's foreign minister Yvette Cooper ‌will meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of ​the Chagos Islands, which is home to a US-UK air base.
Last year, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one - Diego Garcia - through a 99-year lease that preserved US operations at the base, Reuters said.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Trump has since ‌changed his mind ‌several times. In January, Trump described it ​as ‌an ⁠act ​of "great stupidity", ⁠but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week.
Cooper is meeting Rubio to discuss defense and security issues in Washington as Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the ⁠next 10 to 15 days, or "really bad ‌things" will happen.
The Diego Garcia ‌base has recently been used for ​operations in the Middle East against ‌Yemen's Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza.
Although on Tuesday ‌Rubio's State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Trump said Britain was making a big mistake.
"DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the ‌base could be called upon in any future military operation to "eradicate a potential attack" from ⁠Iran.
Under the ⁠conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia.
On Thursday, Britain's The Times newspaper reported that Trump's latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law.
Asked about The Times report, Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Thursday it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported ​the ongoing political process between ​the US and Iran.