Far from Eye, Hurricane Milton's Deadly Tornados Rampaged Florida

Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Far from Eye, Hurricane Milton's Deadly Tornados Rampaged Florida

Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP

Hours before Milton made landfall on Florida's west coast, many were caught by surprise when the hurricane's outer bands spawned deadly tornadoes hundreds of miles away.
In the eastern city of Fort Pierce, parts of a retirement community looked as if struck by a bomb after two tornadoes wreaked chaotic havoc, killing at least five people.
"Do I feel lucky? Damn right I do," said Ralph Burnett, whose house is located just a few hundred feet (dozens of meters) from the decimated Spanish Lakes Country Club neighborhood.
Police have cordoned off all entrances to the community -- but drone footage reveals several homes that have been completely obliterated and a substantial number that sustained major damage, AFP reported.
Burnett's next-door neighbor, Susan Stepp, said it was "horrible, just horrible. I heard some pretty gruesome things" about the deaths.
She and her husband Bill had just returned days earlier from a trip to northern Michigan in their RV, which now lies on its side in their front lawn.
"The tornado came through and picked up my 22-ton motor home and threw it across the yard," said Bill, 72, expressing "absolute astonishment" at the tornado's power.
While people were understandably focused on the core of the hurricane, meteorologists were also worried in the days prior that Milton could produce tornados in eastern Florida, tornado expert Jana Houser told AFP.
The outer hurricane bands are "notoriously the location where tornadoes form," said Houser, an associate professor at The Ohio State University.
Hurricane-produced tornadoes are less likely to form over water, but as the winds in a hurricane's outer bands move over land, conditions become right for the formation of twisters.
While Houser was unable to link the specific tornados to climate change, she said Milton was "incredibly intense, very large" because of the increasingly warm temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico, which give "more fuel to the hurricane to work with."
'Worst one'
Further north, in Cocoa Beach, one tornado swept from the ocean westward, blowing out almost all the windows of a hair salon and tearing a chunk of roof off a bank. No injuries have been reported.
Next door, Katherine and Larry Hingle said they were on their condo porch watching the water rise, when the tornado came through around 5:00 pm.
"I said 'it sounds like a train's coming'" Katherine, 53, told AFP while out to walk their dog and survey the damage.
Larry, 52, said the wind changed directions "violently fast," with the water outside churning ominously.
"We had seen the warnings on TV, but it's very rare that you get one in Cocoa Beach, but then again this is a rare storm, so it's pretty wild."
The sound of the tornado was "surreal," said Katherine, with Larry describing "crunching metal, debris, just terrible noise."
Nearby, a resident in his 80s, who declined to provide his name, was surveying damage to vehicles in an apartment parking complex.
A chunk of tiled roof had been ripped off in the tornado, smashing a nearby car's windshield and the roof of a Jeep.
The resident said he went to a hotel because a falling tree had smashed his air conditioning.
"I've been through a lot of storms but this was the worst one," he said.
The tornado sounded "just like they say, a train coming by."
In Fort Pierce, Susan Stepp was preparing to go stay with her sister, who had electricity.
"We're just glad that our lives weren't taken and that we're okay and that's the main thing," the 70-year-old told AFP.
"You don't like all this (damage) and it's going to de-beautify your house, but... you can't come back from the dead."



Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
TT

Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in ‌an interview made public on Wednesday, said that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences and called for restraint to find a solution to enable Iran to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Lavrov's interview with Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya television was aired a day after US and Iranian negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva to head off a new mounting crisis between Washington and Tehran, Reuters said.

"The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on ‌nuclear sites ‌under the control of the International Atomic ‌Energy ⁠Agency. From what ⁠we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident," Lavrov said in the interview, which was posted on his ministry's website.

"I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire."

Boosting ⁠tensions, he said, could undo the ‌positive steps of recent years, including ‌improved relations between Iran and nearby countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

A senior ‌US official told Reuters on Wednesday that Iran was ‌expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States after the talks in Geneva.

US national security advisers met in the White House on Wednesday and ‌were told all US military forces deployed to the region should be in place ⁠by mid-March, ⁠the official said.

The United States wants Iran to give up its nuclear program, and Iran has adamantly refused and denied it is trying to develop an atomic weapon.

Lavrov said Arab countries were sending signals to Washington "clearly calling for restraint and a search for an agreement that will not infringe on Iran's lawful rights and ... guarantee that Iran has a purely peaceful nuclear enrichment program".

Russia, he said, remained in close, regular contact with Iran's leaders "and we have no reason to doubt that Iran sincerely wants to resolve this problem on the basis of observing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty".


AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
TT

AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS

UN chief Antonio Guterres warned technology leaders Thursday of the risks of artificial intelligence, saying its future cannot be left to "the whims of a few billionaires".

Speaking at a global AI summit in India, the UN chief called on tech tycoons to support a $3 billion global fund to ensure open access to the fast-advancing technology for all.

"AI must belong to everyone," he said.

"The future of AI cannot be decided by a handful of countries -- or left to the whims of a few billionaires," he added, warning the world risked deepening inequality unless urgent steps were taken.

"Done right, AI can... accelerate breakthroughs in medicine, expand learning opportunities, strengthen food security, bolster climate action and disaster preparedness and improve access to vital public services," he said.

"But it can also deepen inequality, amplify bias and fuel harm."

The UN has set up an AI scientific advisory body to help countries make decisions about the revolutionary technology.

Guterres warned that people must be protected from exploitation, and that "no child should be a test subject for unregulated AI".

He pressed for global guardrails to ensure oversight and accountability, and the creation of "Global Fund on AI" to build basic capacity.

"Our target is $3 billion," he told the conference, which includes national leaders as well as tech CEOs, including Sam Altman of OpenAI and Google's Sundar Pichai.

"That's less than one percent of the annual revenue of a single tech company. A small price for AI diffusion that benefits all, including the businesses building AI."

Without investment, "many countries will be logged out of the AI age", exacerbating global divides, he said.

He also cautioned that as AI's energy and water demands soar, data centers must switch to clean power, rather than "shift costs to vulnerable communities".


US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
TT

US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)

Top national security officials have told US President Donald Trump the military is ready for potential strikes on Iran as soon as Saturday, but the timeline for any action is likely to extend beyond this weekend, sources familiar with the discussions told CBS News.

Trump has not yet made a final decision about whether to strike, said the officials, who spoke under condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national matters.

The conversations have been described as fluid and ongoing, as the White House weighs the risks of escalation and the political and military consequences of restraint, added CBS.

Over the next three days, the Pentagon is moving some personnel temporarily out of the Middle East region — primarily to Europe or back to the United States — ahead of potential action or counterattacks by Iran if the US were to move ahead with its operation, according to multiple officials.

It's standard practice for the Pentagon to shift assets and personnel ahead of a potential US military activity and doesn't necessarily signal an attack on Iran is imminent, one of the sources told CBS.

Contacted by CBS News on Wednesday afternoon, a Pentagon spokesperson said they had no information to provide.

Iran was discussed in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday, a US official and a senior military official told CBS News. All military forces deployed to the region are expected to be in place by mid-March.

Axios had also said that a war between the United States and Iran is looming — and there are several factors suggesting President Trump might push the button soon.

On Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".