Far from Eye, Hurricane Milton's Deadly Tornados Rampaged Florida

Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Far from Eye, Hurricane Milton's Deadly Tornados Rampaged Florida

Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP
Brandon Marlow walks through surge waters flooding the street after Hurricane Milton came ashore in the Sarasota area on October 09, 2024, in Fort Myers, Florida. Joe Raedle/Getty Images/AFP

Hours before Milton made landfall on Florida's west coast, many were caught by surprise when the hurricane's outer bands spawned deadly tornadoes hundreds of miles away.
In the eastern city of Fort Pierce, parts of a retirement community looked as if struck by a bomb after two tornadoes wreaked chaotic havoc, killing at least five people.
"Do I feel lucky? Damn right I do," said Ralph Burnett, whose house is located just a few hundred feet (dozens of meters) from the decimated Spanish Lakes Country Club neighborhood.
Police have cordoned off all entrances to the community -- but drone footage reveals several homes that have been completely obliterated and a substantial number that sustained major damage, AFP reported.
Burnett's next-door neighbor, Susan Stepp, said it was "horrible, just horrible. I heard some pretty gruesome things" about the deaths.
She and her husband Bill had just returned days earlier from a trip to northern Michigan in their RV, which now lies on its side in their front lawn.
"The tornado came through and picked up my 22-ton motor home and threw it across the yard," said Bill, 72, expressing "absolute astonishment" at the tornado's power.
While people were understandably focused on the core of the hurricane, meteorologists were also worried in the days prior that Milton could produce tornados in eastern Florida, tornado expert Jana Houser told AFP.
The outer hurricane bands are "notoriously the location where tornadoes form," said Houser, an associate professor at The Ohio State University.
Hurricane-produced tornadoes are less likely to form over water, but as the winds in a hurricane's outer bands move over land, conditions become right for the formation of twisters.
While Houser was unable to link the specific tornados to climate change, she said Milton was "incredibly intense, very large" because of the increasingly warm temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico, which give "more fuel to the hurricane to work with."
'Worst one'
Further north, in Cocoa Beach, one tornado swept from the ocean westward, blowing out almost all the windows of a hair salon and tearing a chunk of roof off a bank. No injuries have been reported.
Next door, Katherine and Larry Hingle said they were on their condo porch watching the water rise, when the tornado came through around 5:00 pm.
"I said 'it sounds like a train's coming'" Katherine, 53, told AFP while out to walk their dog and survey the damage.
Larry, 52, said the wind changed directions "violently fast," with the water outside churning ominously.
"We had seen the warnings on TV, but it's very rare that you get one in Cocoa Beach, but then again this is a rare storm, so it's pretty wild."
The sound of the tornado was "surreal," said Katherine, with Larry describing "crunching metal, debris, just terrible noise."
Nearby, a resident in his 80s, who declined to provide his name, was surveying damage to vehicles in an apartment parking complex.
A chunk of tiled roof had been ripped off in the tornado, smashing a nearby car's windshield and the roof of a Jeep.
The resident said he went to a hotel because a falling tree had smashed his air conditioning.
"I've been through a lot of storms but this was the worst one," he said.
The tornado sounded "just like they say, a train coming by."
In Fort Pierce, Susan Stepp was preparing to go stay with her sister, who had electricity.
"We're just glad that our lives weren't taken and that we're okay and that's the main thing," the 70-year-old told AFP.
"You don't like all this (damage) and it's going to de-beautify your house, but... you can't come back from the dead."



N. Korea Flexes Nuclear-capable Rocket Launcher Ahead of Key Congress

A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA  EDITORIAL USE ONLY
A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA EDITORIAL USE ONLY
TT

N. Korea Flexes Nuclear-capable Rocket Launcher Ahead of Key Congress

A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA  EDITORIAL USE ONLY
A photo released by the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (C), accompanied by his daughter Kim Ju Ae (R), overseeing a test-fire of a large-caliber multiple-rocket launcher system at an unknown location in North Korea, 27 January 2026 (issued 28 January 2026). EPA/KCNA EDITORIAL USE ONLY

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has unveiled a battery of huge nuclear-capable rocket launchers ahead of a key congress of the nation's ruling party, state media said Thursday.

Kim is expected to detail the next phase in North Korea's nuclear weapons program when he opens a rare congress of the ruling Workers' Party in coming days.

The 600-mm multiple launch rocket system was front and center as preparations ramped up for the once-in-five-years gathering, widely viewed as North Korea's most important political event.

"When this weapon is used actually, no force would be able to expect God's protection," Kim said, according to the Korean Central News Agency.

"It is really a wonderful and attractive weapon."

Photos released by state media showed dozens of launch vehicles parked in neat rows on the plaza of Pyongyang's House of Culture, which will host the congress.

The weapon was "appropriate for a special attack, that is, for accomplishing a strategic mission", Kim told a ceremony on Wednesday, using a common euphemism for nuclear weapons.

He said the weapons system -- which was presented to the congress as a gift from munitions workers -- would deter unnamed enemies.

"There is no need to further explain about its destructive power and military value," AFP quoted Kim as saying.

"This is because it can reduce the aimed target to ashes through surprise and simultaneous attack by focusing its destructive energy."

The launch system could fire rockets with an estimated range of 400 kilometers (250 miles), covering all of South Korea, said analyst Hong Min from the Korea Institute for National Unification.

"Its primary purpose is to neutralize the combined air power of South Korea and the United States," he told AFP.

"If equipped with tactical nuclear warheads, a single battery firing four to five rounds could devastate an entire airbase."

South Korea's capital Seoul is less than 50 kilometers (30 miles) from the border at its nearest point.

Analysts believe North Korea would use its vast artillery arsenal to launch saturation strikes on the South should fighting break out.

Kim ordered the expansion and modernization of missile production in the months leading up to the Workers' Party congress.

Pyongyang has also significantly stepped up missile testing.


Iran Says No Country Can Deprive it of Enrichment Rights

A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
TT

Iran Says No Country Can Deprive it of Enrichment Rights

A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT
A handout photo made available by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepahnews on 17 February 2026 shows IRGC conducting a military drill in the Strait of Hormuz, in the Arabian gulf, southern Iran. EPA/SEPAHNEWS HANDOUT

Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Iranian republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"The basis of the nuclear industry is enrichment. Whatever you want to do in the nuclear process, you need nuclear fuel," said Eslami, according to a video published by Etemad daily on Thursday.

"Iran's nuclear program is proceeding according to the rules of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and no country can deprive Iran of the right to peacefully benefit from this technology."

The comments follow the second round of Oman-mediated talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva on Tuesday.

The two foes had held an initial round of discussions on February 6 in Oman, the first since previous talks collapsed during the 12-day Iran-Israel war in June.

The United States briefly joined the war alongside Israel, striking Iranian nuclear facilities.

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested the United States might strike Iran in a post on his Truth Social site.

He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, saying that the archipelago's Diego Garcia airbase might be needed were Iran not to agree a deal, "in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime".

Washington has repeatedly called for zero enrichment, but has also sought to address Iran's ballistic missile program and its support for militant groups in the region -- issues which Israel has pushed to include in the talks.

Western countries accuse the Iranian republic of seeking to acquire nuclear weapons.

Tehran denies having such military ambitions but insists on its right to this technology for civilian purposes.

Trump, who has ratcheted up pressure on Iran to reach an agreement, has deployed a significant naval force to the region, which he has described as an "armada".

After sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, he recently indicated that a second aircraft carrier, the Gerald Ford, would depart "very soon" for the Middle East.

Separately, the Iranian and Russian navies were conducting joint drills in the Sea of Oman and the northern Indian Ocean on Thursday.


Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
TT

Karachi Building Collapse after Blast Kills 16

Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN
Rescue workers and people gather at the site of a residential compound following a suspected gas leakage blast in Karachi, Pakistan, 19 February 2026. EPA/REHAN KHAN

A building collapse caused by an explosion in Pakistan's southern megacity of Karachi killed at least 16 people on Thursday, including children, officials said.

More than a dozen people were injured in the incident in the Soldier Bazaar neighborhood of Karachi at around 4:00 am, when Muslim families start preparing Sehri, the pre-sunrise meal eaten during Ramadan.