Harris to Speak on Tuesday at Site of Trump’s Jan. 6 Rally

US Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris speaks during a campaign rally at Burns Park in Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 28, 2024. (AFP)
US Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris speaks during a campaign rally at Burns Park in Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 28, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Harris to Speak on Tuesday at Site of Trump’s Jan. 6 Rally

US Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris speaks during a campaign rally at Burns Park in Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 28, 2024. (AFP)
US Vice President and Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris speaks during a campaign rally at Burns Park in Ann Arbor, Michigan, October 28, 2024. (AFP)

US Vice President Kamala Harris will deliver her presidential campaign's closing argument on Tuesday in Washington at the same spot where then-President Donald Trump gave a speech on Jan. 6, 2021, to supporters who then attacked the US Capitol.

A Democrat, Harris will seek to draw a contrast with the Republican Trump a week before the Nov. 5 election in a race that opinion polls show remains tight.

The evening event is expected to draw thousands of people to the Ellipse, a park near the White House where, after losing in 2020, Trump told supporters to "fight like hell" and march down Pennsylvania Avenue to the Capitol where Congress was meeting to ratify the election result.

During the speech, Harris will call on Americans to “turn the page” on Trump while stressing her plans to lower costs and make the economy work for middle-class Americans, said a senior Harris campaign official.

The rally venue, with the White House in the background, is both symbolic of the good a president can do to bring the country together and get things done and a time when a president, focused only on himself, incited a violent mob to try to put himself above the country, the official said.

In a Reuters/Ipsos poll published last week, Harris held a marginal 46% to 43% lead over Trump.

Throughout her campaign, Harris has tried to paint Trump as a threat to democracy who will infringe on the rights of Americans, including on the reproductive rights of women.

For his part, Trump has sought to tie Harris to President Joe Biden's handling of immigration and the economy.

The economy has outperformed the rest of the developed world since the COVID-19 crisis, and stock markets hit record highs this year. But high prices of food, utilities and housing have roiled voters, who believe the economy is headed in the wrong direction.

At 10 a.m. (1400 GMT) on Tuesday, Trump will launch the final week of his campaign in remarks at his Mar-a-Lago home that an adviser characterized as a prebuttal to her speech.

He later visits a heavily Hispanic city in Pennsylvania, two days after his rally at Madison Square Garden in New York was criticized because of an ally's vulgar and racist remarks about Latinos and Puerto Ricans.

In a speech at Sunday's rally, Trump spoke repeatedly about his plans, if reelected, to halt illegal immigration and deport migrants he described as "vicious and bloodthirsty criminals."

Comedian Tony Hinchcliffe, who opened for Trump in addition to US billionaire Elon Musk and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, called the Caribbean US territory of Puerto Rico a "floating island of garbage" and disparaged Black Americans, Jewish people and Latinos.

Harris has spent the last week appearing with high-profile celebrities to try to draw voters to the polls. She held a rally with Bruce Springsteen in Atlanta on Thursday and with Beyonce in Houston on Friday.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.