IAEA Chief: Iran Is Poised to ‘Quite Dramatically’ Increase Stockpile of Near Weapons-Grade Uranium

 International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi gestures as he gives an interview in Manama, in the sidelines of Manama Dialogue Forum, on December 6, 2024. (aAFP)
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi gestures as he gives an interview in Manama, in the sidelines of Manama Dialogue Forum, on December 6, 2024. (aAFP)
TT

IAEA Chief: Iran Is Poised to ‘Quite Dramatically’ Increase Stockpile of Near Weapons-Grade Uranium

 International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi gestures as he gives an interview in Manama, in the sidelines of Manama Dialogue Forum, on December 6, 2024. (aAFP)
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) head Rafael Grossi gestures as he gives an interview in Manama, in the sidelines of Manama Dialogue Forum, on December 6, 2024. (aAFP)

Iran is poised to “quite dramatically” increase its stockpile of near weapons-grade uranium as it has started cascades of advanced centrifuges, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency warned Friday.

The comments from Rafael Mariano Grossi came just hours after Iran said it conducted a successful space launch with its heaviest payload ever, the latest for its program that the West alleges improves Tehran’s ballistic missile program.

The launch of the Simorgh rocket comes as Iran’s nuclear program now enriches uranium at 60%, a short, technical step from weapons-grade levels of 90%.

While Iran maintains its program is peaceful, officials in the country increasingly threaten to potentially seek the bomb and an intercontinental ballistic missile that would allow Tehran to use the weapon against distant foes like the United States.

The moves are likely to further raise tensions gripping the wider Middle East over Israel’s continued war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip and as an uneasy ceasefire holds in Lebanon. However, Iran may as well be preparing the ground for possible talks with the incoming administration of President-elect Donald Trump, who in his first term unilaterally withdrew the US from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers.

Grossi, speaking to journalists in Bahrain, on the sidelines of the International Institute of Strategic Studies’ Manama Dialogue, said his inspectors planned to see just how many centrifuges Iran would be spinning after Tehran informed his agency of its plans.

“I think it is very concerning,” Grossi said. “They were preparing and they have all of these facilities sort of in abeyance and now they are activating that. So we are going to see.”

He added: “If they really make them turn — all of them — it's going to be a huge jump.”

An IAEA statement issued shortly after Grossi's remarks said Iran had begun feeding two cascades of advanced IR-6 centrifuges with uranium previously enriched up to 20% at its underground Fordo facility. That site is located under a mountain, protecting it from airstrikes.

Cascades are a group of centrifuges that spin uranium gas together to more quickly enrich the uranium. The IR-6 centrifuges enrich uranium faster than Iran’s baseline IR-1 centrifuges, which have been the workhorse of the country’s atomic program. Adding 20% uranium, as opposed to 5% uranium previously planned, further speeds up that process.

“The facility’s updated design information showed that the effect of this change would be to significantly increase the rate of production,” the IAEA statement said. Iran separately will start feeding natural uranium into eight other IR-6 cascades at Fordo as well to produce 5%-enriched uranium, it added.

The IAEA warned in late November that Iran was preparing to begin enriching uranium with thousands of advanced centrifuges. That came as a response to the Board of Governors at the IAEA condemning Iran for failing to cooperate fully with the agency.

Iran did not immediately acknowledge the preparations. The Iranian mission to the United Nations did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Iran's increase in the amount of uranium enriched to up to 60% purity is a serious escalation and worsens diplomatic efforts to resolve disputes over its nuclear program, a German foreign ministry source said on Friday.

“This is a serious escalatory step by Iran, which we strongly condemn. It is obvious that such measures significantly worsen the framework for diplomatic efforts,” the source said.

Meanwhile, the launch Friday took place at Iran’s Imam Khomeini Spaceport in rural Semnan province, some 220 kilometers (135 miles) east of Tehran. That’s the site of Iran’s civilian space program, which has suffered a series of failed Simorgh launches in the past.

The Simorgh carried what Iran described as an “orbital propulsion system,” as well as two research systems to a 400-kilometer (250-mile) orbit above the Earth. A system that could change the orbit of a spacecraft would allow Iran to geo-synchronize the orbits of its satellites, a capability Tehran has long sought.

It also carried the Fakhr-1 satellite for Iran’s military, the first time Iran’s civilian program is known to have carried a military payload.

Iran also put the payload of the Simorgh at 300 kilograms (660 pounds), heavier than all its previous successful launches within the country. State television carried footage of a correspondent discussing the payload just as the Simorgh lifted off into the sky.

The US military referred questions about the launch to the country’s Space Command, which did not respond. Space experts said tracking data appeared to show the launch successfully put objects in orbit.

The United States has previously said Iran’s satellite launches defy a UN Security Council resolution and called on Tehran to undertake no activity involving ballistic missiles capable of delivering nuclear weapons. UN sanctions related to Iran’s ballistic missile program expired in October 2023.

“Iran’s work on space-launch vehicles — including its Simorgh — probably would shorten the timeline to produce an intercontinental ballistic missile, if it decided to develop one, because the systems use similar technologies,” a US intelligence community report released in July said.

Iran has always denied seeking nuclear weapons and says its space program, like its nuclear activities, is for purely civilian purposes. However, US intelligence agencies and the IAEA say Iran had an organized military nuclear program up until 2003.

Under Iran’s relatively moderate former President Hassan Rouhani, Tehran slowed its space program for fear of raising tensions with the West. The late hard-line President Ebrahim Raisi, a protégé of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei who came to power in 2021, pushed the program forward. Raisi died in a helicopter crash in May.

Iran’s reformist President Masoud Pezeshkian, who has been signaling he wants to negotiate with the West over sanctions, has yet to offer a strategy when it comes to Iran’s ambitions in space. The Simorgh launch represented the first for his administration from the country’s civil space program. Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard conducted a successful launch of its parallel program in September.



Venezuela: Amnesty Law Excludes those who Promoted Military Action

National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)
National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)
TT

Venezuela: Amnesty Law Excludes those who Promoted Military Action

National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)
National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)

Venezuela's parliament unanimously approved an amnesty law on Thursday that could free political prisoners, almost two months after President Nicolas Maduro was captured by US forces.

“The law on democratic coexistence has been approved. It has been forwarded to acting president Delcy Rodriguez for announcement,” said National Assembly President, Jorge Rodriguez, before parliament.

Acting president Delcy Rodriguez signed the legislation after it was handed to her by Jorge Rodrigez, her brother.

The passage of the law led to the end of a hunger strike by relatives of political prisoners.

Ten women have participated in a hunger strike outside the Zona 7 police facility in the capital Caracas last Saturday, setting up camps outside the prison and demanding the release of their relatives, according to AFP.

Because they experienced health problems, nine of them stopped the protest on Wednesday evening. Only one woman continued until Thursday, ending “136 hours,” or more than five days, of strike.

But the amnesty law excludes those who have been prosecuted or convicted of promoting military action against the country – which could include opposition leaders like Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Corina Machado, who has been accused by the ruling party of calling for international intervention like the one that ousted Maduro.

Article 9 of the bill lists those excluded from amnesty as “persons who are being prosecuted or may be convicted for promoting, instigating, soliciting, invoking, favoring, facilitating, financing or participating in armed actions or the use of force against the people, sovereignty, and territorial integrity” of Venezuela “by foreign states, corporations or individuals.”


Türkiye’s Approval of Peace Roadmap is Important Step, PKK Source Says

A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)
A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)
TT

Türkiye’s Approval of Peace Roadmap is Important Step, PKK Source Says

A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)
A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)

A Turkish parliamentary commission's approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source told Reuters on Thursday.

The commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve the report, advancing a peace process designed to end decades of conflict.

"The vote is considered an achievement and an important ‌step toward consolidating democracy ‌in Türkiye," said the PKK source.

The PKK - designated a ‌terrorist ⁠organization by Türkiye, ⁠the United States and the European Union - halted attacks last year and said in May it had decided to disband and end its armed struggle.

The parliamentary vote shifts the peace process to the legislative theatre, as President Tayyip Erdogan, Türkiye’s leader of more than two decades, bids to end a conflict focused in mainly Kurdish southeast Türkiye.

The insurgency began in 1984 and has killed more than 40,000 people, sowing deep discord at home and ⁠spreading violence across borders into Iraq and Syria.

IMPORTANT ISSUES OUTSTANDING

The PKK ‌source said there were foundations for resolving ‌the Kurdish issue, but there was a lack of clarity on the issue in the report.

"There also ‌remain other important issues, such as initiating constitutional amendments, especially in aspects related to ‌the Kurdish language as well as amendments to the anti-terrorism law," the source said.

Another issue was legislation concerning the return of PKK militants to Türkiye and their integration into society, the source said.

A key element of Wednesday's report recommended strengthening mechanisms to ensure compliance with decisions by the ‌European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) and the Constitutional Court.

Among key ECHR decisions related to Türkiye are rulings that the rights of ⁠jailed former pro-Kurdish ⁠party leader Selahattin Demirtas had been violated and that he should be released immediately.

Ankara's final appeal against that was rejected in November.

SIGN OF INTENT

Demirtas' lawyer Mahsuni Karaman told Reuters the report's comments on the ECHR were important as a sign of intent.

"We hope this will be reflected in judicial practice—that is our wish and expectation,” Karaman said.

Demirtas was detained in November 2016 on terrorism-related charges, which he denies. In May 2024, a court convicted him in connection with deadly 2014 protests and sentenced him to more than 40 years in prison.

Turkish nationalist leader Devlet Bahceli, a key Erdogan ally whose call in 2024 triggered the current PKK peace process, said in November that it "would be beneficial" to release Demirtas from prison.

The opposition pro-Kurdish DEM Party — the successor party of Demirtas' HDP — remains parliament's third-largest bloc and has cooperated closely with the parliamentary commission.


US Renews Threat to Leave IEA

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright speaks at an IEA ministerial meeting in Paris (X)
US Energy Secretary Chris Wright speaks at an IEA ministerial meeting in Paris (X)
TT

US Renews Threat to Leave IEA

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright speaks at an IEA ministerial meeting in Paris (X)
US Energy Secretary Chris Wright speaks at an IEA ministerial meeting in Paris (X)

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright renewed his threat Thursday to pull out of the International Energy Agency, saying Washington would press the organization to abandon a net-zero agenda “in the next year or so.”

Speaking on the last day of an IEA ministerial meeting in Paris, Wright said the 52-year-old agency should return to its founding mission of ensuring energy security.

“The US will use all the pressure we have to get the IEA to eventually, in the next year or so, move away from this agenda,” Wright said in a news conference.

“But if the IEA is not able to bring itself back to focusing on the mission of energy honesty, energy access and energy security, then sadly we would become an ex-member of the IEA,” he added.

Meaning of Wright’s Warning

A US exit means a deep cut to IEA’s budget undermining the agency’s global influence.

Washington is not just a member of the agency but its largest funder. It alone contributes to 25% of the IEA core budget (equivalent to between $25 and $30 million annually) and therefore its exit would “dry up” a quarter of the agency’s financial resources.

Also, Washington is the world's largest oil and gas producer, meaning the US exit will affect the agency's reports and their credibility in markets.

The IEA was created to coordinate responses to major disruptions of supplies after the 1973 oil crisis. But in recent years, it became the main advocate of green transition policies, which the US considers as “politicized.”

The IEA produces monthly reports on oil demand and supply as well as annual world energy outlooks that include data on the growth of solar and wind energy, among other analyses.

Wright praised IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol for reinserting in November 2025’s annual outlook a Current Policies Scenario in which oil and gas demand would grow in the next decades. That scenario had been dropped for the past five years.

But the report still included a scenario where the world reaches net zero emissions by mid-century.

Birol’s current four-year term ends in 2027, but Wright demurred when asked who he would like to head the IEA, which has over 30 member nations.

“We remain today undecided or neutral on who the leadership is. We care about the mission much more than the individual leaders,” the US energy chief said.

If Birol can make the agency “get out the politics and get out the anti-energy part of it, that's great by us,” said Wright, who first warned last year that the US could leave the IEA if it did not reform.

For his part, Birol insisted that the Paris-based agency was “data-driven.” He said, “We are a non-political organization.”

The IEA was created “to focus on energy security,” Wright said on Wednesday at a ministerial meeting of the agency in Paris.

“That mission is beyond critical and I'm here to plead to all the members (of the IEA) that we need to keep the focus of the IEA on this absolutely life-changing, world-changing mission of energy security,” he said.

The Energy Secretary said he wanted to get support from “all the nations in this noble organization to work with us, to push the IEA to drop the climate. That's political stuff.”

His comments come just a day after he publicly threatened to quit the organization unless it abandoned its focus on the energy transition— a call that several countries rejected, including the UK, Austria and France.