EU Warns Iran to Stop Acceleration of Enriched Uranium at 60%

FILE PHOTO: Iranian flag flies in front of the UN office building, housing IAEA headquarters, in Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2021. REUTERS/Lisi Niesner/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Iranian flag flies in front of the UN office building, housing IAEA headquarters, in Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2021. REUTERS/Lisi Niesner/File Photo
TT

EU Warns Iran to Stop Acceleration of Enriched Uranium at 60%

FILE PHOTO: Iranian flag flies in front of the UN office building, housing IAEA headquarters, in Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2021. REUTERS/Lisi Niesner/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Iranian flag flies in front of the UN office building, housing IAEA headquarters, in Vienna, Austria, May 24, 2021. REUTERS/Lisi Niesner/File Photo

Germany, Britain and France said they were “extremely concerned” about Iran's acceleration in its capacity for enrichment of uranium, urging Iran to halt and reverse these steps.

Rafael Grossi, head of the UN nuclear watchdog International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), told Reuters on Friday that Iran was accelerating its enrichment of uranium to up to 60% purity, approaching the level of about 90% that is weapons-grade.

Germany, Britain and France, known informally as the E3, said in a joint statement they condemned Iran's latest steps to significantly increase the rate of production of uranium enriched up to 60% at the underground Fordow facility, as stated in the Agency’s reports.

“We are also extremely concerned to learn that Iran has increased the number of centrifuges in use and started preparations to install additional enrichment infrastructure, further increasing Iran’s enrichment capacity,” they said.

Iran’s actions have further hollowed out the 2015 nuclear deal and will increase Iran’s high enriched uranium stockpile which already has "no credible civilian justification,” they added.

“We strongly urge Iran to reverse these steps, and to immediately halt its nuclear escalation,” the three countries said.

Last month, European and Iranian officials made little progress in meetings on whether they could engage in serious talks, including over Iran's disputed nuclear program, before Donald Trump returns to the White House in January.

On Saturday, a Western diplomatic source said Iran's acceleration in its enrichment of uranium to close to bomb grade is “extremely serious,” has no civilian justification and contradicts Tehran's assertions on wanting serious nuclear negotiations.

Iran has long denied seeking nuclear weapons.

Its foreign ministry said on Saturday that Tehran's nuclear program is under continuous supervision of the UN nuclear watchdog.

The Western diplomatic source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the acceleration of enrichment was "in contradiction with Iran's declarations on its willingness to return to credible negotiations".

“These measures have no credible civilian justification and could, on the contrary, directly fuel a military nuclear program if Iran were to take the decision,” the source said.

On the sidelines of the Manama Dialogue security conference in Bahrain's capital, Grossi said that Iran is “dramatically” increasing the amount of uranium enriched to up to 60% purity.

He added that it was set to rise to “seven, eight times more, maybe, or even more” than the previous rate of 5-7 kg a month.

In the report to member states, which was seen by Reuters, the IAEA said Iran had increased the enrichment rate of the material being fed into two interconnected cascades of advanced IR-6 centrifuges at its Fordow plant.

The plant had already been enriching uranium to up to 60% purity with material enriched to up to 5% purity. The material being fed in now has been enriched to up to 20% purity, accelerating the process of reaching 60%.

That change means Iran will "significantly" increase the amount of uranium it enriches to 60% purity, reaching more than 34 kg a month at Fordow alone, the report said.

Iran is also enriching uranium to up to 60% at another site, Natanz.

The report said Iran must as a matter of urgency facilitate tougher safeguards measures, such as inspections, to ensure Fordow is not being “misused to produce uranium of an enrichment level higher than that declared by Iran, and that there is no diversion of declared nuclear material.”

According to the IAEA’s definition, around 42 kg of uranium enriched to 60% is the amount at which creating one atomic weapon is theoretically possible. The 60% purity is just a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels of 90%.

Following the agency’s quarterly report last August, David Albright, founder and President of the non-profit Institute for Science and International Security in Washington, said that Iran has enough enriched uranium to produce 15 nuclear bombs in five months.

Last month, the IAEA said that as of Oct. 26, Iran has 182.3 kg of uranium enriched up to 60%, an increase of 17.6 kg since the last report in August.

Dangerous and Reckless

Tehran was angered by a resolution last month put forward by Britain, Germany and France, known as the E3, and the United States that faulted Iran's cooperation with the IAEA.

The resolution criticized the way Iran cooperates with the agency.

Experts say Iran's acceleration at Fordow was “a dangerous and reckless escalation that risks derailing the prospects for negotiations with the United States.”

After pulling the United States out of the 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers, Trump pursued a “maximum pressure” policy that sought to force Iran to accept an agreement that curbs its regional activities and ballistic missile program.

He is staffing his planned administration with hawks on Iran.

Last month, Grossi said, “We do not have any diplomatic process ongoing which could lead to a de-escalation, or a more stable equation when it comes to Iran. This is regrettable.”

The nuclear deal lifted sanctions against Iran in return for restrictions on Iran's atomic activities. Since Trump left the deal, Iran has abandoned those restrictions.

Iran fears that European countries will reactivate the “trigger or snapback mechanism” which will push Tehran to suspend its basic safeguards commitment under the agreement.



WHO Says Ebola Risk High Regionally, Low Worldwide

A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

WHO Says Ebola Risk High Regionally, Low Worldwide

A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A visitor walks at the entrance of a hospital in Rwampara on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The World Health Organization on Wednesday said the risk of the Democratic Republic of Congo's deadly Ebola outbreak was currently high at the national and regional levels but low worldwide.

WHO experts said that while investigations into its origins were ongoing, given the scale of the situation in the eastern DRC, the outbreak probably began a couple of months ago.

But the UN health agency's emergency committee said it did not currently meet the pandemic emergency threshold.

"WHO assesses the risk of the epidemic as high at the national and regional levels, and low at the global level," said the organization's chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.

So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in the DRC, in the eastern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, "although we know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger", he told a press conference at the WHO's headquarters in Geneva.

He said Uganda had also reported two confirmed cases in the capital Kampala, including one death, while a US national working in the DRC has been confirmed positive and transferred to Germany.

"There are several factors that warrant serious concern about the potential for further spread and further deaths," said Tedros.

"Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths.

"We expect those numbers to keep increasing, given the amount of time the virus was circulating before the outbreak was detected."

- Not a pandemic -

On Sunday, Tedros declared the situation to be a public health emergency of international concern -- the second-highest level of alarm under the legally binding International Health Regulations (IHR) -- triggering emergency responses in countries worldwide.

The WHO emergency committee convened to assess the outbreak met on Tuesday.

"The current situation and criteria for a public health emergency of international concern have been met, and we agree that the current situation does not satisfy the criteria for a pandemic emergency," the committee's chair, Lucille Blumberg, told reporters from South Africa.

Anais Legand, WHO technical officer on viral hemorrhagic fevers, said investigations were under way to pinpoint how long Ebola has been spreading in the eastern DRC.

"Given the scale, we are thinking that it has started probably a couple of months ago, but investigations are ongoing and our priority is really to cut the transmission chain by implementing contact tracing, isolating and caring for all suspect and confirmed cases," she said.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Tuesday said the WHO was "a little late" in identifying a deadly outbreak.

President Donald Trump, in one of his first acts on returning to office last year, set in motion a US withdrawal from the WHO, which he attacked bitterly over its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Asked about Rubio's criticism, Tedros said that "maybe what the secretary said... could be from lack of understanding of how IHR work, and the responsibilities of WHO and other entities", he said, explaining that the agency acted in support of countries rather than replacing them in outbreak responses.


Germany Arrests Married Couple on China Spying Charges

FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa
FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa
TT

Germany Arrests Married Couple on China Spying Charges

FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa
FILED - 12 May 2026, Bavaria, Munich: A view of the construction in the Freiham development area in Munich. Photo: Malin Wunderlich/dpa

German police on Wednesday arrested a married couple on charges of spying for China, accusing them of seeking information on advanced technology with military uses.

The couple, German nationals partially named as Xuejun C. and Hua S., were arrested in the southern city of Munich, said the federal prosecution service, which alleged that the pair "work for a Chinese intelligence agency.”

Their homes and workplaces in Munich were being searched, AFP reported.

The couple are alleged to have "established contacts with numerous academics at German universities and research institutions, in particular with chairs in the fields of aerospace engineering, computer science and artificial intelligence.”

To make these contacts, the couple are believed to have "posed as interpreters or as employees of an automobile manufacturer.”

Some scientists were then "enticed to travel to China under the pretext of giving paid lectures to a civilian audience,” but actually ended up addressing employees of state-owned arms manufacturers, prosecutors said.

As well as the suspects' arrests, prosecutors said that "further measures" were being carried out "concerning a total of 10 people who are not suspected of any offence but are potential witnesses" in Berlin, Munich and several other locations across the country.


Israel Takes Step Toward Snap Election as Knesset Votes to Dissolve

Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)
Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Israel Takes Step Toward Snap Election as Knesset Votes to Dissolve

Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)
Knesset members at the Knesset, the Israeli parliament, in Jerusalem, 20 May 2026. (EPA)

Israel moved closer on Wednesday to a snap election after lawmakers gave an initial nod to dissolve parliament, with opinion polls showing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu would lose the first national vote since the 2023 Hamas attacks.

Lawmakers voted almost unanimously for an early ballot in a preliminary reading of a bill to disband the 120-seat Knesset.

If it receives final approval, a process ‌that could ‌take weeks, Israel could hold an election several ‌weeks ⁠ahead of an ⁠October 27 deadline.

Netanyahu's own coalition submitted the bill to dissolve parliament after an ultra-Orthodox faction traditionally close to the Israeli leader accused him of failing to deliver on a promise to pass a law exempting their community from mandatory military service.

NETANYAHU BEHIND IN POLLS

Some 110 members of parliament voted in favor of ⁠the bill to dissolve, with no opponents or abstentions. ‌It now heads to committee where ‌an election date is agreed, before going back to the Knesset ‌for final approval.

The vote comes at a pivotal time ‌for Netanyahu, Israel's longest-serving prime minister who leads the most right-wing government in his country's history. Israel has been at war with Hamas in Gaza, Hezbollah in Lebanon and Iran, fronts that remain volatile and could ‌have an impact on the election.

Netanyahu still faces a long-running corruption trial. Israel's President Isaac Herzog ⁠is mediating ⁠talks to broker a plea deal in the case, which could see the 76-year-old Netanyahu retiring from politics as part of the deal.

Netanyahu's health could also be an issue. He recently disclosed that he was successfully treated for prostate cancer and in 2023 he was fitted with a pacemaker.

Since the October 7, 2023 Hamas attacks on Israel, polls have consistently shown Netanyahu's governing coalition falling far short of a parliamentary majority.

However, there is also a chance that opposition parties will fail to form a coalition, leaving Netanyahu at the head of an interim government until the political stalemate is broken.