Irish Pop Group Westlife on 25 Years, New Music and Tour 

Westlife perform during the annual German film and television awards “Golden Camera” (“Die Goldene Kamera”) of German TV magazine “HoerZu” in Berlin, Germany, March 30, 2019. (Reuters) 
Westlife perform during the annual German film and television awards “Golden Camera” (“Die Goldene Kamera”) of German TV magazine “HoerZu” in Berlin, Germany, March 30, 2019. (Reuters) 
TT

Irish Pop Group Westlife on 25 Years, New Music and Tour 

Westlife perform during the annual German film and television awards “Golden Camera” (“Die Goldene Kamera”) of German TV magazine “HoerZu” in Berlin, Germany, March 30, 2019. (Reuters) 
Westlife perform during the annual German film and television awards “Golden Camera” (“Die Goldene Kamera”) of German TV magazine “HoerZu” in Berlin, Germany, March 30, 2019. (Reuters) 

Westlife celebrate 25 years with a new album and tour they say will take fans down memory lane as well as treat them to "the best show" the Irish pop group have ever done.

The boy band, formed in 1998 when its original five members were teenagers, has sold more than 55 million records and scored 14 UK No. 1 hits with songs such as "Swear It Again", "Flying Without Wings" and "Uptown Girl".

A foursome since 2004, members Shane Filan, Nicky Byrne, Kian Egan and Mark Feehily parted ways in 2012 before reuniting in 2018.

They released single "Chariot" last month, one of four new songs on upcoming album "25 - The Ultimate Collection", out in February. They also expanded their 2026 "Westlife 25: The Anniversary World Tour", which marks 25 years since their first world tour.

Feehily, who in recent years has suffered health-related issues, is not joining them on tour but features on the album.

In an interview with Reuters, Filan, Egan and Byrne spoke about the tour, recording with Feehily and looking back on 25 years.

Below are excerpts edited for length and clarity.

Q: What can fans expect from the tour?

Filan: “We want to put on our best show we've ever done ... probably picking the setlist is always the hardest part because every fan has a different memory for that song. But it'll be full of hits, obviously, but we're going to elevate it from a kind of visual aspect as well."

Q: What was it like working all together on the album?

Filan: “It was great to have Mark on there. Obviously, he can't tour with us at the moment, he's unable to, but it was very important obviously that he was on the songs and he's singing better than ever ... one of the songs coming out is some of his best vocals ... We can't wait to have him back obviously as well when he's ready."

Q: You recently performed at the Royal Albert Hall. What was that like?

Byrne: “It just felt like an event ... the Oscars meets a brilliant wedding and we were on fire ... And now it's like, ‘Wow, did that just happen?’ We're tired today, but by next Saturday we'll be going ‘Right lads, how do we do this again? Where could we go next?’ And the truth is, who knows? Can it be ... Madison Square Garden? Can it be the Sphere? There are no rules."

Q: How does the success you imagined in those early days compare to the reality?

Egan: “I don't think any of us would have ever been able to say to our young selves ‘This is what you're going to be doing when you're 45 ... We like to think we're normal guys ... yes, we're in this big pop act and we travel around the world ... but we go home and we live quite normal lives ... We’ll be back to taking the bins out tomorrow.”



'Fired and Festive': 'Late Show' Host Stephen Colbert Bows Out

CBS has said its decision to cancel "The Late Show," hosted by Stephen Colbert, was purely financial. Rich Fury / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File
CBS has said its decision to cancel "The Late Show," hosted by Stephen Colbert, was purely financial. Rich Fury / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File
TT

'Fired and Festive': 'Late Show' Host Stephen Colbert Bows Out

CBS has said its decision to cancel "The Late Show," hosted by Stephen Colbert, was purely financial. Rich Fury / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File
CBS has said its decision to cancel "The Late Show," hosted by Stephen Colbert, was purely financial. Rich Fury / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File

"The Late Show" frontman Stephen Colbert will host the final edition of the 33-year-old US cultural institution on Thursday night, after it was cancelled by CBS as the network courted President Donald Trump.

The show, which Colbert has hosted since 2015, was axed after he mocked the broadcaster for a $16 million settlement with Trump for allegedly "maliciously" editing an interview with his Democratic election rival Kamala Harris.

Colbert called it a "big fat bribe."

CBS has insisted the decision to cancel "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," the ratings leader in the time slot, was purely financial -- and that it was a coincidence the move came as CBS parent company Paramount lobbied for government approval of its $8.4 billion merger with Skydance Media.

Around that time CBS brought in Bari Weiss, a right-wing journalist without significant TV experience, to run its news division, AFP reported.

In the weeks leading to Thursday's curtain call, 62-year-old Colbert has at times cut a subdued figure, lacking some of his usual cheerful flair.

"Sometimes you only truly know how much you love something when you get a sense you might be losing it," Colbert said while accepting an Emmy award last year.

Colbert was clearly moved when he was joined in his studio by fellow late night hosts Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers and John Oliver, who paid tribute in the penultimate week.

Kimmel was briefly taken off the air in September 2025 by his network ABC after complaints about a remark he made over the killing of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

Trump has repeatedly attacked media and press freedom since returning to office, using lawsuits and regulatory threats to retaliate for unflattering news coverage and jokes.

The US president has long been a fierce critic of late-night talk show hosts and their jabs at him. Trump has called Colbert a "pathetic trainwreck" who should be "put to sleep."

One late night host who did not join the gathering of funnymen who pillory the US president night after night was Greg Gutfeld, host of "Gutfeld!" on Fox News -- the network popular with conservatives.

Asked in November about both the cancellation and Kimmel's suspension, Gutfeld said, "Why did it take so long?"

- 'Can't take a man's voice' -

Colbert made his name playing a fictitious version of himself, embodying the type of conservative blowhard beloved by Fox News viewers -- and derided by the left.

He first played the sharp-suited but dim-witted character on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" before getting a spin-off, "The Colbert Report."

Colbert ascended to the pinnacle of US late-night TV when he was named host of the CBS flagship, shedding the character and employing his own voice.

In the weeks leading to Thursday, Colbert auctioned off a raft of props and costumes featured on the show, as well as pieces of set including a giant illuminated sign. Proceeds will go to World Central Kitchen.

Colbert has been coy about his next steps but announced he will be a writer on a forthcoming "Lord of the Rings" movie -- as well as lying down and taking a breather.

Details of the last broadcast were scant, with show insiders tight-lipped when contacted by AFP.

One guest has eluded Colbert: the pope. The host, a devout Catholic, has called the pontiff his "white whale."

While an impromptu trip to New York seems unlikely, Pope Leo XIV's public schedule is clear on May 21.

Colbert's fellow late-night hosts were all due to air re-runs Thursday out of respect for Colbert's swansong.

And the theme of the after-party? "Fired and festive!"

Ahead of the final show, Colbert brought back former "Late Show" host David Letterman who steered the ship from 1993 until 2015.

The pair ascended to the roof of the show's Ed Sullivan Theater to throw furniture at a giant logo of CBS, describing it as "wanton destruction of CBS property."

"You can take a man's show," said Letterman. "You can't take a man's voice."


Havana-born Star Andy Garcia Says Cubans Dream of Change

US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)
US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)
TT

Havana-born Star Andy Garcia Says Cubans Dream of Change

US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)
US actor Andy Garcia poses during a photocall of the film "Diamond" at the 79th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, southern France on May 20, 2026. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)

Havana-born Hollywood star Andy Garcia told AFP that the overwhelming majority of Cubans would support an intervention to overthrow their government as he presented his directorial debut at the Cannes Film Festival.

The star of films "The Godfather Part III" and "Ocean's Eleven" said he still woke up every morning dreaming of a Cuba "free from repression" after 67 years of communist rule on the island.

"Nobody wants war, but absolute repression and suffering of the people in that country is not the alternative, that's not something to embrace," he said during an interview on Tuesday to promote his film noir "Diamond" which features an A-list cast.

"If you were to ask the Cuban people, not the Cuban government... would they want us (the United States), France, anybody, to intervene and save them? You would get a unanimous 90 percent people saying, 'Please come and invade our country and get rid of these people'," Garcia said.

US President Donald Trump has imposed an oil blockade on Cuba, aggravating the impoverished island's worst economic and energy crisis in decades, while making repeated threats that the US might forcibly topple the government.

In Cuba, young people have told AFP privately they favor a US intervention, seeing it as the only chance to transform the island's fortunes, despite fears it would lead to bloodshed.

But older Cubans tend to reject the threats, pointing to over six decades of tensions between Havana and Washington that never bubbled over into open conflict, despite coming perilously close to a nuclear confrontation in 1962.

Garcia, 70, left Cuba as a child and his film "Diamond" serves as a sort of "love letter" to his adopted hometown Los Angeles where he has lived for most of his life.

His first turn behind the camera is a project 20 years in the making, based on an idea which started out as a homework project for his daughter.

It grew into a film about fedora-wearing and hard-drinking private detective Joe Diamond who is stuck in the past while trying to crack a case about a billionaire's death in contemporary Los Angeles.

Garcia's actor friends Bill Murray and Dustin Hoffman agreed to play roles as a barman and coroner, while the rest of the cast includes "The Whale" star Brendan Fraser as a detective, with Rosemarie DeWitt and Vicky Krieps the female leads.

Garcia said he had learned from many industry legends over his career, including "The Godfather" director Francis Ford Coppola who handed him his first major break in a once-stellar career that has stalled in recent decades.

"I always wanted to make movies, not just be in them," Garcia told AFP.

Reviews were mostly positive about his first effort, with Deadline calling it a "wonderfully atmospheric, nostalgic and entertaining contemporary noir". The Wrap said "at times it betrays its amateur beginnings with clunky plotting."


‘The Four Seasons’ Star Tina Fey Says Old Friends Are Gold

 Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

‘The Four Seasons’ Star Tina Fey Says Old Friends Are Gold

 Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)
Cast members Tina Fey and Will Forte attend a premiere for season 2 of the television series "The Four Seasons" at the Egyptian Theatre Hollywood in Los Angeles, California, US, May 19, 2026. (Reuters)

American actress Tina Fey hopes the latest installment of Netflix comedy "The Four Seasons" will inspire viewers to pick up the phone and check in with old friends.

"Lifelong friendships are what really hold it together," Fey told AFP at a premier for the new season, which drops on May 28.

"It's great to be married but you also meet your friends to keep the married people safe," she said from the red carpet at Hollywood's Egyptian Theatre.

"The Four Seasons," which first premiered a year ago, is based on the Alan Alda film of the same name that follows a group of friends as they navigate life's challenges.

The new season will take the group -- played by Fey, Colman Domingo, Will Forte, Marco Calvani, Kerri Kenney-Silver and Erika Henningsen -- on an adventure through Italy as they deal with the death of their friend Nick (Steve Carell).

The group's on-screen connection extends to the real world, cast members said.

"We are friends in real life as well... I think you feel that, I think it comes off the screen," Kenney-Silver said, adding that "the universal story of friendship" is key to the show's success.

While the show sees the friends -- who stay in touch via group chat even when they are not filming -- face the challenges of adulthood, they believe it has the potential to attract a multigenerational audience.

"We're a bunch of oldies, but everyone gets stressed, everyone suffers loss and gets sad, everyone's happy, everyone has people in their life they love and people who annoy them," Forte said.

"So, you know, it's all relatable stuff."

"Even if you're not the age we are, we're like a museum piece," the actor added. "Check out these old artifacts, learn something."