Iran Rejects International Pressure Over its Nuclear Program

Iran's Vice-President for Strategic Affairs Javad Zarif speaks during the 55th annual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, January 22, 2025. Reuters 
Iran's Vice-President for Strategic Affairs Javad Zarif speaks during the 55th annual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, January 22, 2025. Reuters 
TT

Iran Rejects International Pressure Over its Nuclear Program

Iran's Vice-President for Strategic Affairs Javad Zarif speaks during the 55th annual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, January 22, 2025. Reuters 
Iran's Vice-President for Strategic Affairs Javad Zarif speaks during the 55th annual World Economic Forum (WEF) meeting in Davos, Switzerland, January 22, 2025. Reuters 

Iran on Thursday rejected international pressure over its accelerating nuclear program, which is close to nearly weapons-grade levels, while its Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the UN chief’s call for his country to renounce nuclear weapons, as “audacious.”

On Wednesday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Iran must make a first step towards improving relations with countries in the region and the United States by making it clear it does not aim to develop nuclear weapons.

“My hope is that the Iranians understand that it is important to once and for all make it clear that they will renounce to have nuclear weapons, at the same time that they engage constructively with the other countries of the region,” Guterres said as he discussed the situation in the Middle East at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

The UN nuclear watchdog chief, Rafael Grossi, touched on the same theme in Davos, saying Iran is “pressing the gas pedal” on its enrichment of uranium to near weapons grade.

Asked how crucial the dialogue between Tehran and Trump is right now, Grossi replied: “Absolutely indispensable.”

Grossi said last month that Iran had informed the International Atomic Energy Agency that it would “dramatically” accelerate enrichment of uranium to up to 60% purity, closer to the roughly 90% of weapons grade.

He said Iran is now producing more than 30 kilograms of uranium enriched to up to 60% and that it had about 200 kg of uranium enriched to up to 60%.

In a post on X, Araghchi wrote, “It is audacious to preach that Iranians must ‘once and for all make it clear that they will renounce to have nuclear weapons’,” without mentioning the name of the UN Chief.

“Iran's longstanding commitment to the global nonproliferation regime is clear,” the Foreign Minister said, noting that his country has signed the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons Treaty (NPT) in 1968 as a founding member.

Araghchi then pointed to a fatwa (religious decree) by Leader of the Iranian Revolution that bans the production, possession and stockpiling of weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) including nuclear weapons.

He added that in 2015, Iran signed the JCPOA which imposed the most intrusive inspection regime in IAEA history.

The FM posted a statement from the nuclear deal which states that “Iran reaffirms that under no circumstances will Iran ever seek, develop or acquire any nuclear weapons.”

“This is a permanent and clear commitment which Iran has remained committed to—even after the US unilaterally withdrew from the deal in 2018,” Araghchi said in his post.

The Iranian foreign minister also said that the most relevant question regarding the region is Israel's genocidal war on the Gaza Strip, as well as the regime's occupation of Palestinian, the Syrian and Lebanese territories.”

He then warned of the threat posed by Israel's nuclear arsenal and its refusal to join the NPT.

“This must not be normalized or whitewashed,” the FM wrote.

The statements came one week after Araghchi’s deputies had warned their counterparts in Germany, France and the UK regarding the potential misuse of the snapback mechanism relating to the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which could reinstate suspended sanctions on Iran.

Earlier, western media said Tehran signaled it would withdraw from the nuclear treaty if the so-called snapback mechanism is renewed and has even threatened to change the course of its nuclear program.

In a meeting with Guterres in Lisbon last November, Araghchi warned about an ongoing debate in Iran over whether to change the nuclear doctrine in the face of the West's continued sanctions on the Iranian Republic.

He then noted that if European countries were to reimpose sanctions on Iran through the UN Security Council, it would convince everyone in Iran that Tehran’s current doctrine had been mistaken.

Trump 2.0

On Wednesday, Iran’s vice-president for strategic affairs, Mohammad Javad Zarif, dismissed the idea that Tehran sought nuclear arms, and signalled support for the idea of talks to improve relations between Iran and its critics in the West.

“There's always hope that people will choose rationality. I hope that this time around, a 'Trump 2' will be more serious, more focused, more realistic,” Zarif told a panel, adding the Iran did not pose a security threat to the world.

“Now, for us, is the time to move forward. We have been looking at our surroundings as a threat, because of our history. Now ... Nobody thinks of Iran as such an easy place to carry out their whims. So, we can move forward, based on opportunity, rather than based on threats. So, let's talk about that,” he said.

Iran's main concern is the potential for Trump to reimposes his “maximum pressure policy” through more sanctions on its oil.

On Wednesday, two US officials gave preliminary outlines of the new US administration’s policy toward Iran, including its readiness to activate the “snapback” mechanism at the UN Security Council.

Trump's pick for UN Ambassador, Elise Stefanik, said she supports the suggestion of newly sworn-in secretary of state Marco Rubio to activate the “snapback” of UN sanctions on Iran.

 



Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
TT

Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)

The jailed leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party, Abdullah Ocalan, has said that the Ankara-PKK peace process has entered its “second phase,” as the Turkish parliament sets the stage to vote on a draft report proposing legal reforms tied to peace efforts.

A delegation from the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party), including lawmakers Pervin Buldan, Mithat Sancar, and Ocalan’s lawyer Ozgur Faik, met with the jailed PKK leader on Monday on the secluded Imrali island.

Sancar said that the second phase will be focused on democratic integration into
Türkiye’s political system.

According to the lawmaker, the PKK leader considered the first phase the “negative dimension” concerned with ending the decades-old conflict between the armed group and Ankara.

“Now we are facing the positive phase,” Ocalan said, “the integration phase is the positive phase; it is the phase of construction.”

For the second phase to be implemented, Ocalan called on Turkish authorities to provide conditions that would allow him to put his “theoretical and practical capacity” to work.

The 60-page draft report on peace with the PKK was completed by a five-member writing team, which is chaired by Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmuş, and is scheduled for a vote on Wednesday.

The report is organized into seven sections.

In July last year, Ocalan said the group's armed struggle against Türkiye has ended and called for a full shift to democratic politics.


Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians shouted slogans against Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday as they gathered to commemorate protesters killed in a crackdown on nationwide demonstrations that rights groups said left thousands dead, according to videos verified by AFP.

The country's clerical authorities also staged a commemoration in the capital Tehran to mark the 40th day since the deaths at the peak of the protests on January 8 and 9.

Officials acknowledge more than 3,000 people died during the unrest, but attribute the violence to "terrorist acts", while rights groups say many more thousands of people were killed, shot dead by security forces in a violent crackdown.

The protests, sparked by anger over the rising cost of living before exploding in size and anti-government fervor, subsided after the crackdown, but in recent days Iranians have chanted slogans from the relative safety of homes and rooftops at night.

On Tuesday, videos verified by AFP showed crowds gathering at memorials for some of those killed again shouting slogans against the theocratic government in place since the 1979 revolution.

In videos geolocated by AFP shared on social media, a crowd in Abadan in western Iran holds up flowers and commemorative photos of a young man as they shout "death to Khamenei" and "long live the shah", in support of the ousted monarchy.

Another video from the same city shows people running in panic from the sounds of shots, though it wasn't immediately clear if they were from live fire.

In the northeastern city of Mashhad a crowd in the street chanted, "One person killed, thousands have his back", another verified video showed.

Gatherings also took place in other parts of the country, according to videos shared by rights groups.

- Official commemorations -

At the government-organized memorial in Tehran crowds carried Iranian flags and portraits of those killed as nationalist songs played and chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" echoed through the Khomeini Grand Mosalla mosque.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended a similar event at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.

Authorities have accused sworn enemies the United States and Israel of fueling "foreign-instigated riots", saying they hijacked peaceful protests with killings and vandalism.

Senior officials, including First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref and Revolutionary Guards commander Esmail Qaani, attended the ceremony.

"Those who supported rioters and terrorists are criminals and will face the consequences," Qaani said, according to Tasnim news agency.

International organizations have said evidence shows Iranian security forces targeted protesters with live fire under the cover of an internet blackout.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though rights groups warn the toll is likely far higher.

More than 53,500 people have been arrested in the ongoing crackdown, HRANA added, with rights groups warning protesters could face execution.

Tuesday's gatherings coincided with a second round of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva, amid heightened tensions after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Middle East following Iran's crackdown on the protests.


Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

An ‌independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organization's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

In the past week several European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, called for Albanese’s resignation over her alleged criticism of Israel. Albanese, an Italian lawyer, denies making the remarks.

On Friday, the Czech Republic's Foreign Minister Petr Macinka quoted Albanese on X as having called Israel a "common enemy of humanity", and he ‌also called for ‌her resignation.

A transcript of Albanese's remarks ‌made ⁠in Doha on ⁠February 7 seen by Reuters did not characterize Israel in this way, although she has consistently criticized the country in the past over the Gaza conflict.

The UN Coordination Committee - a body of six independent experts which coordinates and facilitates the work of Special Rapporteurs - accused European ministers of relying on "manufactured ⁠facts".

"Instead of demanding Ms. Albanese's resignation ‌for performing her mandate...these government representatives ‌should join forces to hold accountable, including before the International Criminal Court, ‌leaders and officials accused of committing war crimes and ‌crimes against humanity in Gaza," the Committee said.

It said the pressure exerted on Albanese was part of an increasing trend of politically motivated and malicious attacks against independent human rights experts, UN officials ‌and judges of international courts.

US President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Albanese after she wrote ⁠letters ⁠to US companies accusing them of contributing to gross human rights violations by Israel in Gaza and the West Bank.

UN experts are commissioned by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council to monitor and document specific human rights crises but are independent of the organization itself.

There is no precedent for removing a special rapporteur during their term, although diplomats said that states on the 47-member council could in theory propose a motion to do so.

However, they said strong support for Palestinian rights within the body means that such a motion was unlikely to pass.