Grossi: Nuclear Deal is ‘Empty Shell,’ We Need New Format

International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director Rafael Grossi attends a press conference at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo, Japan, 20 February 2025. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director Rafael Grossi attends a press conference at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo, Japan, 20 February 2025. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
TT
20

Grossi: Nuclear Deal is ‘Empty Shell,’ We Need New Format

International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director Rafael Grossi attends a press conference at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo, Japan, 20 February 2025. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director Rafael Grossi attends a press conference at the Japan National Press Club in Tokyo, Japan, 20 February 2025. EPA/FRANCK ROBICHON

IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi called Thursday for a new framework for negotiations with Iran over its almost weapon level nuclear program, describing the 2015 deal as an “empty shell.”

At a press conference in Tokyo, Grossi said the text of the previous JCPOA agreement already contains outdated information, including the types of centrifuges used by Iran, according to the Russian news agency, TASS.

“It is necessary to look for a new format for a deal with Iran,” Grossi said.

“The JCPOA is an empty shell. I don't think anybody thinks that the JCPOA can play a role at the moment. I think it used to be an agreement that was in operation for some time, but now, irrespective of what you may think about its merits or lack of thereof, it is obvious that technologically speaking, it has been completely superseded. It is no longer fit for purpose,” he added.

Grossi noted that during his meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, the two sides agreed that “the philosophy of the JCPOA,” which is based on Iran's “restraint of activities in exchange for incentives,” can continue.

The nuclear deal -- known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action -- collapsed following Washington’s withdrawal from it in 2018 during the first term of US President Donald Trump, who returned to office in January.

Last week, Grossi warned that Iran was in the process of increasing around sevenfold its monthly production of uranium enriched to up to 60%.

He said Iran would likely have about 250 kg of uranium enriched to up to 60% by the time of the agency's next report in the coming weeks.

That is enough in principle, if enriched further, for six nuclear bombs, according to an IAEA yardstick.

“I think we are running out of time, but it doesn't mean that we can't do it fast,” Grossi said in an interview on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference.

“The IAEA is there and has all the information and elements, but when it comes to the policy it's up to the countries,” he added.

Also last Sunday, Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to “finish the job” against Iran with the support of Washington.

Earlier this month, intelligence reports warned that Israel is likely to launch a preemptive attack on Iran's nuclear program by midyear.

Analysts say Iran is forced to negotiate with Trump, with the downfall of its key ally, the Assad regime in Syria, and the severe weakening of Hamas in Gaza and Hezbollah in Lebanon.

In an interview with Fox News, Trump said Iran's military vulnerabilities appeared to have left it in a weakened position, making negotiations more appealing than confrontation.

Trump predicted that Washington would make a deal with Iran to prevent it from developing its nuclear program, but added that Tehran is very frightened because its defenses have been allegedly destroyed in an Israeli strike last year.

Meanwhile, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Tehran has repeatedly announced that it seeks dialogue but will never succumb to force and pressure and hold negotiations “at any cost.”

“It is not acceptable to impose sanctions and say that you should have no missiles or weapons, and then talk about negotiations again,” Pezeshkian said in a meeting with elites and intellectuals of Tehran Province on Thursday.



More than a Dozen Migrants Die as Boats Sink off Greece, Türkiye

A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
TT
20

More than a Dozen Migrants Die as Boats Sink off Greece, Türkiye

A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture

A boat carrying migrants from Türkiye to a nearby Greek island sank Thursday morning, leaving at least seven people dead, including three children, Greece’s coast guard said. Turkish authorities reported what appeared to be a separate sinking in the same area, with nine people dead.
The two accidents reportedly occurred several hours apart in the narrow stretch of the Aegean Sea between the Greek island of Lesbos and the Turkish coast, with both sides unaware of the other nation’s rescue efforts.
Greece's coast guard said a dinghy carrying migrants began taking on water and 23 people were rescued and the bodies of three women, two boys, one girl and one man were recovered, The AP news reported. 
The survivors were taken to a migrant camp on the island. The search and rescue operation continued into Thursday afternoon as the exact number of people who had been on board the dinghy was unclear.
Weather in the area was reported to have been good. The nationalities of those on board were not immediately known.
Separately in Türkiye, the Canakkale governor’s office said the Turkish coast guard received an emergency call for help from a migrant boat and deployed three boats and a helicopter.
The statement said that nine bodies had been recovered and the search for one missing person continued, while 25 people were rescued.
Greece is one of the main entry points into the European Union for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, with many making the short but often treacherous journey from the Turkish coast to nearby Greek islands in inflatable dinghies or other small boats. Many are unseaworthy, or set out in bad weather, and fatal accidents have been common.
The Greek government has cracked down with increased patrols at sea, and many smuggling rings have shifted their operations south, using larger boats to transport people from the northern coast of Africa to southern Greece.
Last year, more than 54,000 people used what has become known as the eastern Mediterranean route heading to Greece, and more than 7,700 crossed Greece's small land border with Türkiye, according to figures from the UN refugee agency. There were 125 people reported dead or missing.
By March 30, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said there had been just over 8,000 people arriving in Greece by sea and 755 by land since the start of 2025.