US Insists on ‘Full Dismantlement’ of Iran's Nuclear Program

White House national security adviser Mike Waltz gestures to Fox News host and President Donald Trump's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, after speaking with her at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, March 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)
White House national security adviser Mike Waltz gestures to Fox News host and President Donald Trump's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, after speaking with her at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, March 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)
TT
20

US Insists on ‘Full Dismantlement’ of Iran's Nuclear Program

White House national security adviser Mike Waltz gestures to Fox News host and President Donald Trump's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, after speaking with her at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, March 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)
White House national security adviser Mike Waltz gestures to Fox News host and President Donald Trump's daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, after speaking with her at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, March 19, 2025. (AP Photo/Ben Curtis)

The White House's national security advisor, Mike Waltz, has said that the US sought "full dismantlement" of Iran's nuclear program.
"Iran has to give up its program in a way that the entire world can see," he said on CBS News on Sunday.
"As President (Donald) Trump has said, this is coming to a head. All options are on the table and it is time for Iran to walk away completely from its desire to have a nuclear weapon."
US special envoy Steve Witkoff also said Sunday that Trump's outreach to Iran's top authority, Supreme leader Ali Khamenei, on a possible new nuclear deal is an effort to avoid military action.

"We don't need to solve everything militarily," Witkoff told Fox News.
"Our signal to Iran is let's sit down and see if we can, through dialogue, through diplomacy, get to the right place. If we can, we are prepared to do that. And if we can't, the alternative is not a great alternative."
Trump said earlier this month that he had sent a letter to Khamenei, warning that "there are two ways Iran can be handled: militarily, or you make a deal."
Khamenei rejected the US offer for talks as "a deception," saying negotiating with the Trump administration would "tighten the knot of sanctions and increase pressure on Iran."
Also Sunday, Iran's foreign minister, Abbas Araqchi, said talks with the United States are no longer possible unless certain things change.

He said that Iran was not opposed to talks out of "stubbornness,” but rather as a result of history and experience, adding that Washington needs to recalibrate its policy before Tehran takes part in talks.
In his first term, Trump withdrew the United States from a 2015 deal between Iran and major powers that had placed strict limits on Tehran's nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief.
After Trump pulled out in 2018 and restored sanctions, Iran breached and far surpassed those limits in the development of its nuclear program.
"In my opinion, the 2015 pact in its current form cannot be revived. It would not be in our interest because our nuclear situation has advanced significantly and we can no longer return to previous conditions," Araqchi said. "The same can be said of the other side's sanctions. The 2015 nuclear pact can still be a basis and model for negotiations."



More than a Dozen Migrants Die as Boats Sink off Greece, Türkiye

A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
TT
20

More than a Dozen Migrants Die as Boats Sink off Greece, Türkiye

A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture
A dinghy transporting dozens of refugees and migrants is pulled towards Greece's Lesbos island after being rescued by a war ship during their sea crossing between Türkiye and Greece on February 29, 2020. Aris Messinis, AFP/File picture

A boat carrying migrants from Türkiye to a nearby Greek island sank Thursday morning, leaving at least seven people dead, including three children, Greece’s coast guard said. Turkish authorities reported what appeared to be a separate sinking in the same area, with nine people dead.
The two accidents reportedly occurred several hours apart in the narrow stretch of the Aegean Sea between the Greek island of Lesbos and the Turkish coast, with both sides unaware of the other nation’s rescue efforts.
Greece's coast guard said a dinghy carrying migrants began taking on water and 23 people were rescued and the bodies of three women, two boys, one girl and one man were recovered, The AP news reported. 
The survivors were taken to a migrant camp on the island. The search and rescue operation continued into Thursday afternoon as the exact number of people who had been on board the dinghy was unclear.
Weather in the area was reported to have been good. The nationalities of those on board were not immediately known.
Separately in Türkiye, the Canakkale governor’s office said the Turkish coast guard received an emergency call for help from a migrant boat and deployed three boats and a helicopter.
The statement said that nine bodies had been recovered and the search for one missing person continued, while 25 people were rescued.
Greece is one of the main entry points into the European Union for people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Africa and Asia, with many making the short but often treacherous journey from the Turkish coast to nearby Greek islands in inflatable dinghies or other small boats. Many are unseaworthy, or set out in bad weather, and fatal accidents have been common.
The Greek government has cracked down with increased patrols at sea, and many smuggling rings have shifted their operations south, using larger boats to transport people from the northern coast of Africa to southern Greece.
Last year, more than 54,000 people used what has become known as the eastern Mediterranean route heading to Greece, and more than 7,700 crossed Greece's small land border with Türkiye, according to figures from the UN refugee agency. There were 125 people reported dead or missing.
By March 30, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said there had been just over 8,000 people arriving in Greece by sea and 755 by land since the start of 2025.