Trump Team Scrambles to Handle Fallout from Signal Chat Assailed as ‘Sloppy, Careless’

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard appears during a Senate Committee on Intelligence Hearing on March 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images/AFP) 
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard appears during a Senate Committee on Intelligence Hearing on March 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images/AFP) 
TT

Trump Team Scrambles to Handle Fallout from Signal Chat Assailed as ‘Sloppy, Careless’

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard appears during a Senate Committee on Intelligence Hearing on March 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images/AFP) 
Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard appears during a Senate Committee on Intelligence Hearing on March 25, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images/AFP) 

The Trump administration sought on Tuesday to contain the fallout after a magazine journalist disclosed he had been inadvertently included in a secret group discussion of highly sensitive war plans, while Democrats called on top officials to resign over the security incident. 

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard and CIA Director John Ratcliffe - both of whom were in the chat - testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee that no classified material was shared in the group chat on Signal, an encrypted commercial messaging app. 

But Democratic senators voiced skepticism, noting that the journalist, Atlantic Editor-in-Chief Jeffrey Goldberg, reported that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth posted operational details about pending strikes against Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis, "including information about targets, weapons the US would be deploying, and attack sequencing." 

Committee members said they planned - and Gabbard and Ratcliffe agreed to - an audit of the exchange. The Senate's Republican majority leader, John Thune, said on Tuesday he expected the Senate Armed Services Committee to look into Trump administration officials' use of Signal. 

"It's hard for me to believe that targets and timing and weapons would not have been classified," Senator Angus King, a Maine independent who caucuses with the Democrats, said at the contentious hearing, which featured several sharp exchanges. 

Gabbard repeatedly referred questions about the exchange to Hegseth and the Department of Defense. 

She and Ratcliffe will face more lawmakers on Wednesday when the House of Representatives will hold its annual "Worldwide Threats" hearing. Democrats said they planned to discuss the Signal chat. 

The revelation on Monday drew outrage and disbelief among national security experts and prompted Democrats - and some of President Donald Trump's fellow Republicans - to call for an investigation of what they called a major security breach. 

"I am of the view that there ought to be resignations, starting with the national security adviser and the secretary of defense," Democratic Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon said at the hearing. But Trump voiced support for his national security team when questioned about the incident at a White House event on Tuesday with Michael Waltz, his national security adviser, who mistakenly added Goldberg to the Signal discussion. 

Trump said the administration would look into the use of Signal. He said he did not think Waltz should apologize, but said he did not think Waltz and the team would be using Signal again soon. Later, in an interview with Newsmax, he indicated that a lower-level colleague of Waltz's had been involved in adding Goldberg to the chat. 

Waltz, in an interview with "The Ingraham Angle" on Fox News, said, "I take full responsibility" for the breach, as he had created the Signal group, but he emphasized there was no classified information shared. 

Waltz said the situation was "embarrassing" and that the administration would "get to the bottom" of what went wrong. He said Goldberg's number was not saved in his phone and he does not know how the journalist was mistakenly added to the chat group. 

'BREACH OF SENSITIVE INFORMATION' 

Senator Jon Ossoff of Georgia appeared to grow frustrated after Ratcliffe answered "I don't recall" to a series of questions about the content of the Signal chat. 

"Director Ratcliffe, surely you prepared for this hearing today," Ossoff said. "You are part of a group of principals, senior echelons of the US government, and now a widely publicized breach of sensitive information." 

Some Republicans also wanted to know more. Senator Todd Young said he would inquire during a closed hearing later on Tuesday. "It appears to me there are some unanswered questions," the Indiana Republican said. 

A former US official told Reuters that operational details for military actions are typically classified and known to only a few people at the Pentagon and such top-secret information is usually kept on computers that use a separate network. 

National Security Council spokesperson Brian Hughes said on Monday that the chat group appeared to be authentic. 

Sensitive information is not supposed to be shared on commercial mobile phone apps. Additionally, Signal's ability to erase conversations would violate laws governing the retention of government records. 

"This is one more example of the kind of sloppy, careless, incompetent behavior, particularly toward classified information ... of this administration," the committee's Democratic vice chairman, Mark Warner of Virginia, said. 

SECURITY CONCERNS 

Accounts appearing to represent Vice President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Hegseth, Ratcliffe, Gabbard, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, White House chief of staff Susie Wiles, and senior National Security Council officials were assembled in the chat group, Goldberg wrote on Monday. 

Gabbard acknowledged that she had been abroad during the chat, although she declined to say whether she was using a private phone. 

The White House sought to play down the incident. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt accused Goldberg of sensationalizing the story in a post on X. 

Also on X, White House communications director Steven Cheung dismissed as "faux outrage" the concern over the inclusion of a journalist in a war-planning chat. 

Hegseth told reporters on Monday that no one had texted war plans. Goldberg, appearing on CNN on Monday, called those comments "a lie." 

It remained unclear why the officials chose to chat via Signal rather than the secure government channels typically used for sensitive discussions. 

Signal has a "stellar reputation and is widely used and trusted in the security community," said Rocky Cole, whose cybersecurity firm iVerify helps protect smartphone users from hackers. 

"The risk of discussing highly sensitive national security information on Signal isn't so much that Signal itself is insecure," Cole added. "It's the fact that nation-states threat actors have a demonstrated ability to remotely compromise the entire mobile phone itself. If the phone itself isn't secure, all the Signal messages on that device can be read." 

Republican Representative Don Bacon, a retired Air Force general who sits on the House Armed Services Committee, told reporters that Hegseth needed to take responsibility for the apparent breach, which he said put lives at risk. 

Asked about the claim that no classified details were shared, Bacon responded: "They ought to just be honest and own up to it." 



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.