Trump Officials Violated Court Order over South Sudan Deportation Attempt, Judge Says

Anwen Hughes, an attorney with Human Rights First and Trina Realmuto, Executive Director of the National Immigration Litigation Alliance, speak with reporters outside the federal courthouse, after a judge ruled that the Trump administration violated his court order by attempting to deport migrants to South Sudan, in Boston, Massachusetts, US, May 21, 2025. REUTERS/Nate Raymond
Anwen Hughes, an attorney with Human Rights First and Trina Realmuto, Executive Director of the National Immigration Litigation Alliance, speak with reporters outside the federal courthouse, after a judge ruled that the Trump administration violated his court order by attempting to deport migrants to South Sudan, in Boston, Massachusetts, US, May 21, 2025. REUTERS/Nate Raymond
TT

Trump Officials Violated Court Order over South Sudan Deportation Attempt, Judge Says

Anwen Hughes, an attorney with Human Rights First and Trina Realmuto, Executive Director of the National Immigration Litigation Alliance, speak with reporters outside the federal courthouse, after a judge ruled that the Trump administration violated his court order by attempting to deport migrants to South Sudan, in Boston, Massachusetts, US, May 21, 2025. REUTERS/Nate Raymond
Anwen Hughes, an attorney with Human Rights First and Trina Realmuto, Executive Director of the National Immigration Litigation Alliance, speak with reporters outside the federal courthouse, after a judge ruled that the Trump administration violated his court order by attempting to deport migrants to South Sudan, in Boston, Massachusetts, US, May 21, 2025. REUTERS/Nate Raymond

A federal judge ruled on Wednesday that the US government violated his court order by attempting to deport migrants to South Sudan, opening another front in a battle between Donald Trump and judges who have imposed checks on the Republican president's hardline immigration policies.

US District Judge Brian Murphy said US officials risked being held in contempt of court for violating a preliminary injunction he issued in April to block the administration from sending deportees to countries other than their own without the opportunity to raise any concerns they had for their safety.

At a hearing in Boston, the judge said the US Department of Homeland Security failed to provide six migrants covered by his injunction a meaningful opportunity to contest being sent to South Sudan when it notified them of that possibility less than 24 hours before they were loaded onto a plane.

That was "plainly insufficient" notice, according to the judge. He later issued an order making clear that non-citizens must be given at least 10 days to raise a claim that they fear for their safety before they are deported to a country other than their own.

"The department's actions in this case are unquestionably violative of this court's order," Murphy said.

Murphy, who was appointed by Trump's Democratic predecessor President Joe Biden, warned of the possibility of holding officials in criminal contempt, but did not immediately punish anyone.

The White House in a statement called Murphy "a far-left activist judge," while a spokesperson for the Homeland Security Department called his ruling "deranged."

The department said eight men from Cuba, Laos, Mexico, Myanmar, Vietnam and South Sudan had been deported, and they had been convicted of murder, armed robbery and other serious crimes. Six of them were covered by Murphy's order, the judge said.

"These are the monsters that the district judge is trying to protect," Department of Homeland Security spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin told reporters at a press conference ahead of Wednesday's hearing.

Immigration rights advocates have urged Murphy to order the men be returned to the US.

The judge instead directed officials to grant them interviews after at least 72 hours notice to assess if they have any reasonable fears of going to South Sudan and give them at least 15 days to seek to move to reopen their immigration proceedings if officials deem their claimed fears insufficient.

Murphy told lawyers that while it was his prerogative that the men be brought back to the United States during that process, the Homeland Security Department had the discretion to keep them overseas.

'SENT TO A WAR-TORN COUNTRY'

The judge's finding was one of the strongest rebukes so far to Trump's administration since the president returned to office in January. As a presidential candidate last year, Trump pledged to crack down on illegal immigration but many of his attempts to step up deportations have been impeded by the courts.

Justice Department lawyer Elainis Perez said at the hearing that Murphy's April preliminary injunction did not specifically state how much notice was required, and the expedited deportations did not violate rights protected under the US Constitution.

South Sudan has long been dangerous even for locals. The US State Department advises citizens not to travel there due to violent crime and armed conflict. The United Nations has said the African country's political crisis could reignite a brutal civil war that ended in 2018.

"They were being sent to a war-torn country where their very life and safety is under threat," Trina Realmuto, a lawyer for the migrants at the National Immigration Litigation Alliance, told reporters.

The dispute echoes another case in which Washington-based US District Judge James Boasberg found that the administration violated his order to pause the deportations of Venezuelan migrants to a prison in El Salvador.

Boasberg also launched a criminal contempt investigation, but an appeals court has temporarily blocked it while the Trump administration challenges his probe. Trump has called for his impeachment, drawing a rebuke from Chief US Supreme Court Justice John Roberts.

In another case, Maryland-based US District Judge Paula Xinis said the administration did not adequately explain how it was complying with her order to facilitate the return of a Maryland resident Kilmar Abrego Garcia, who was deported to El Salvador despite an earlier court order that he not be sent there.

Trump and US officials appointed by him have accused judges of overstepping their authority and of seeking to thwart his agenda.

The case before Murphy stems from a legal challenge brought by immigrant advocates to the administration's push to deport migrants with final orders of removal to countries other than their own, including migrants who have protections from being sent to their home countries due to safety concerns.

Murphy sided with the plaintiffs, ruling last month that any migrants being sent to a third country were entitled to due process under the US Constitution's Fifth Amendment and must have a meaningful opportunity to raise any fears for their safety.

In an emergency hearing on Tuesday after the advocates said they learned migrants were being flown to South Sudan, Murphy ordered the administration not to let the migrants leave the custody of US immigration authorities.

Throughout Wednesday's proceedings, the men were kept on a plane in a location that officials sought to avoid publicly disclosing in court.

Only after Murphy ruled did White House deputy chief of staff Stephen Miller appear in a social media post on X to confirm they were currently in Djibouti. He accused Murphy of "putting the lives of our personnel in danger."

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, South Sudan police spokesperson James Mande Enoka said that when the migrants arrived, they would be investigated and then "be again deported to the correct country."

Given those comments, Murphy ordered the Trump administration to submit a declaration explaining why the men's deportation would not violate a prohibition against them being shuttled back to their country of origin.



Trump to Travel to China Next Month, with US Trade Policy in Focus

US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Trump to Travel to China Next Month, with US Trade Policy in Focus

US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)

US President Donald Trump will travel to China from March 31 to April 2 for a highly anticipated meeting between the world's two biggest economies, following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Trump's sweeping tariffs against imported goods.

A White House official confirmed the trip on Friday, just before the highest US court struck down many of the tariffs Trump has used to manage sometimes-tense relations with China.

Trump is expected to visit Beijing and meet Chinese President Xi Jinping as part of a lavish, extended visit. Trump was last in China in 2017, ‌the most ‌recent trip by a US president.

A key topic had been whether ‌to ⁠extend a trade ⁠truce that kept both countries from further hiking tariffs. After Friday's ruling, however, it was not immediately clear whether - and under what legal authority - Trump would restore tariffs on imports from China.

TRUMP SEES TRADE IMBALANCE AS NATIONAL EMERGENCY

The administration has said the tariffs were necessary because of national emergencies related to trade imbalances and China's role in producing illicit fentanyl-related chemicals.

"That's going to be a wild one," Trump told foreign leaders visiting Washington on Thursday ⁠about the trip. "We have to put on the biggest display you've ‌ever had in the history of China."

The Chinese ‌embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Beijing has not ‌confirmed the trip.

The visit would be the leaders' first talks since February and their first ‌in-person visit since an October meeting in South Korea. At that October meeting, Trump agreed to trim tariffs on China in exchange for Beijing cracking down on the fentanyl trade, resuming US soybean purchases and keeping rare earth minerals flowing.

While the October meeting largely sidestepped the sensitive issue of ‌Taiwan, Xi raised US arms sales to the island in February.

Washington announced its largest-ever arms sales deal with Taiwan in December, ⁠including $11.1 billion in ⁠weapons that could ostensibly be used to defend against a Chinese attack. Taiwan expects more such sales.

China views Taiwan as its own territory, a position Taipei rejects. The United States has formal diplomatic ties with China, but it maintains unofficial ties with Taiwan and is the island's most important arms supplier. The United States is bound by law to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself.

Xi also said during the February call that he would consider further increasing soybean purchases, according to Trump.

Struggling US farmers are a major political constituency for Trump, and China is the top soybean consumer.

Although Trump has justified several hawkish policy steps from Canada to Greenland and Venezuela as necessary to thwart China, he has eased policy toward Beijing in the past several months in key areas, from tariffs to advanced computer chips and drones.


Diplomacy Is Still the Only Viable Path to Peace in Ukraine, UN Refugee Chief Barham Salih Says

UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)
UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)
TT

Diplomacy Is Still the Only Viable Path to Peace in Ukraine, UN Refugee Chief Barham Salih Says

UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)
UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)

There are many obstacles to a peace deal in Ukraine, but a diplomatic solution remains the only viable option, the newly appointed head of the UN refugee agency said Friday, warning that humanitarian operations are increasingly overstretched because of multiple global crises.

Barham Salih, Iraq’s former president who was elected UNHCR high commissioner in December, made his first visit to Ukraine since taking office.

After traveling to Ukraine’s front-line cities, including Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia, he met with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and discussed the latest in efforts to secure a peace deal. He also discussed the future of UNHCR operations as Ukraine endures Russian attacks on its energy grid during a harsh winter.

“You have to be hopeful, but I do understand the difficulties in the situation, and it’s clear, of course, there are many, many impediments along the way, but at the end of the day, there is no military solution. There needs to be peace, a durable and just peace so that people can go back to their lives,” he said, speaking to The Associated Press in an interview in Kyiv.

“Things are not necessarily easy, definitely not easy, but let’s redouble the effort to make sure that diplomacy has a chance and really bring about a durable and just peace to this war that has been going on for far too long,” he added.

Of the agency’s $470 million appeal for Ukraine, only $150 million has been pledged. The shortfall reflects deep cuts across the humanitarian sector, making it increasingly difficult to deliver aid across multiple crises.

There are 3.7 million Ukrainians displaced within the country and nearly 6 million Ukrainians outside the country who have become refugees in Europe and elsewhere, he said.

“This tells you the gap between what is needed and what is available,” he said. “My appeal to the international community is, really, this is not the moment to walk away, this is not a moment to look the other way round. These vulnerable populations need support. We should deliver this help to them.”

The UN agency in Ukraine predicts 10.8 million Ukrainians will require humanitarian assistance in 2026, according to a report from the agency. The most critical needs are concentrated along the war’s front lines in the eastern and southern parts of Ukraine, as well as in the northern border region. Intensified hostilities produce fresh waves of displacement.

The agency’s Ukraine appeal competes with large-scale conflicts in Sudan and Gaza. Since his appointment, Salih has spent only one week in his Geneva office, traveling to Kenya, Chad, Türkiye and Jordan before visiting Ukraine.

Drastic cuts to US humanitarian funding under President Donald Trump has accelerated the erosion of global humanitarian infrastructure and severely undermined the ability of organizations to deliver aid.

There are 117 million displaced people worldwide, including at least 42 million refugees, Salih said. Two-thirds face protracted displacement and remain dependent on humanitarian assistance.

Deciding where to prioritize given shrinking resources is “difficult” he said.

“It’s really very difficult to prioritize given the scale of the problem. I was in Kenya and I was in Chad recently and I was in Türkiye and in Jordan talking to refugees from Syria. And of course, now in Ukraine, these are all pressing issues, pressing requirements,” he said.

“We need to be there to help people, but also I have to say we really need to look at durable solutions too as well. It’s not a matter of sustaining dependency or humanitarian assistance,” he added.

In his meeting with Zelenskyy, Salih said they discussed the need to focus on the “recovery phase and sustainable solutions and self reliance as we go forward,” he said.


Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
TT

Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)

The Israeli army said it was on "defensive alert" as the United States threatens potential military action against Iran, but insisted there were no changes in its guidelines for the public.

"We are closely monitoring regional developments and are aware of the public discourse concerning Iran. The (Israeli military) is on defensive alert," army spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said in a video statement published Friday.

"Our eyes are wide open in all directions, and our finger is more than ever on the trigger in response to any change in the operational reality," he added, but emphasized "there is no change in the instructions".