Khamenei Sends Message to Putin on Regional Escalation

Russian President Vladimir Putin held a meeting with Ali Larijani, top adviser to Iran’s supreme leader on nuclear issues (IRNA)
Russian President Vladimir Putin held a meeting with Ali Larijani, top adviser to Iran’s supreme leader on nuclear issues (IRNA)
TT

Khamenei Sends Message to Putin on Regional Escalation

Russian President Vladimir Putin held a meeting with Ali Larijani, top adviser to Iran’s supreme leader on nuclear issues (IRNA)
Russian President Vladimir Putin held a meeting with Ali Larijani, top adviser to Iran’s supreme leader on nuclear issues (IRNA)

Russian President Vladimir Putin held a meeting with Ali Larijani, top adviser to Iran’s supreme leader on nuclear issues, to discuss Tehran’s nuclear program, the Kremlin said on Sunday.

The meeting came as Iran prepares to resume talks with the E3.

France, Britain and Germany told Iran last Thursday that they would restore UN sanctions unless it reopened talks on its nuclear program immediately and produced concrete results by the end of August.

On Sunday, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: “Today Russian President Vladimir Putin received Ali Larijani, supreme adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader, in the Kremlin.”

“On behalf of his leadership, the Iranian representative provided assessments of the escalated situation in the Middle East and around the Iranian nuclear program,” he added.

“The Russian side expressed well-known positions aimed at stabilizing the situation in the region and a political settlement of the issues related to the Iranian nuclear program,” the spokesperson said.

A source told Iran’s Tasnim news agency on Sunday that Iran and the European troika have agreed to resume their nuclear negotiations.

“Tehran and the European troika have come to an agreement in principle on the resumption of the talks about Iran’s nuclear program, but the timing and location of the negotiations are under debate,” the source said.

The decision as to which country will be hosting the upcoming talks has not been finalized yet, the source added.

Meanwhile, Vahid Ahmadi, a member of the parliamentary commission on national security, told the Iran Observer news website that Iran will not return to nuclear negotiations unless three conditions are met.

He said the conditions include: “International condemnation of recent attacks on the country's territory, compensation for military damages and guarantees against new acts of aggression from the USA or Israel.”

Russia, a longstanding ally of Tehran, plays a role in Iran's nuclear negotiations with the West as a veto-wielding UN Security Council member and a signatory to an earlier nuclear deal Trump abandoned during his first term in 2018.

Currently, Tehran is under increasing Western pressure to resume talks with the E3 powers. The European Troika foreign ministers told their Iranian counterpart Abbas Araghchi that the countries are moving to activate the “snapback” mechanism at the end of August unless an agreement is reached.

Last week, Iranian newspaper Etemad said Iran is trying to convince Russia and China to withdraw from the nuclear deal with an aim to annul Resolution 2231, which expires in October and provides the legal framework that includes the “snapback” mechanism for reimposing UN sanctions on Iran.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov met with his Iranian counterpart on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization’s Foreign Ministers Council Meeting in Tianjin last week.

The parties continued their exchange of views on regional and international issues of mutual interest. They reiterated the imperative of resolving the crisis surrounding Iran’s nuclear program exclusively through political and diplomatic means, in strict compliance with international law.

Two days prior to the Lavrov-Araghchi meeting, Russia rejected an Axios report saying Putin has told both Trump and Iranian officials that he supports the idea of a nuclear deal in which Iran is unable to enrich uranium.

Axios also said that while Moscow publicly advocates for Iran's right to enrich, Putin has taken a tougher position in private in the wake of the 12-day war between Israel and Iran.

Two sources said the Russians also briefed the Israeli government about Putin's position regarding Iran's uranium enrichment. "We know that this is what Putin told the Iranians," a senior Israeli official said.

Putin also expressed that position in calls last week with Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron.

An Alliance with Reservations

While Moscow has bought weapons from Iran for its war in Ukraine and signed a 20-year strategic partnership deal with Tehran earlier this year, their relationship since the 16th century, when Muscovy officially established relations with the Persian Empire, has at times been troubled.

The agreement does not include a mutual defense clause, but it says both countries will work together against common military threats, develop their military-technical cooperation, and take part in joint exercises.

Inside Russia, there were calls for Russia to come to the aid of its partner and to supply Iran with the same support which Washington had given to Ukraine - including air defense systems, missiles and satellite intelligence.

Larijani is the first Iranian official to visit Moscow since Iran and Israel ended their 12-day war. Before that, Araghchi traveled to Moscow on June 23, the eve of the ceasefire. Reports said the FM delivered a message from the Iranian leader to Putin.

A senior source told Reuters at the time that Araghchi was due to deliver a letter from Khamenei to Putin, seeking more help from Russia.

Iran has not been impressed with Russia's support so far, Iranian sources told Reuters, and the country wants Putin to do more to back it against Israel and the United States.

The sources did not elaborate on what assistance Tehran wanted.

Araghchi’s visit came days before the US strike on Iran’s nuclear sites.

The Kremlin at the time denied that the Iranian FM was carrying a letter from Khamenei.
However, the Farhikhtegan newspaper, whose editorial board is headed by the Iranian leader's senior adviser on international affairs, Ali Akbar Velayati, revealed details of the letter, before later deleting it.

The newspaper said Araghchi had conveyed Khamenei “discontent” over what Tehran considered Moscow's shortcomings during the recent war with Israel.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.