European Countries Near Russia Puzzled by US Plans to Cut Defense Funding

Lithuanian's minhunter Skalvis (M53) moves through the water, as seen from the German Navy supply tender Donau, during the multinational naval maneuver Northern Coasts, part of the Quadriga 2025 exercise led by the Bundeswehr and NATO partners to strengthen defense readiness under realistic conditions in the Baltic Sea, off the coast of Kiel, Germany September 2, 2025. (Reuters)
Lithuanian's minhunter Skalvis (M53) moves through the water, as seen from the German Navy supply tender Donau, during the multinational naval maneuver Northern Coasts, part of the Quadriga 2025 exercise led by the Bundeswehr and NATO partners to strengthen defense readiness under realistic conditions in the Baltic Sea, off the coast of Kiel, Germany September 2, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

European Countries Near Russia Puzzled by US Plans to Cut Defense Funding

Lithuanian's minhunter Skalvis (M53) moves through the water, as seen from the German Navy supply tender Donau, during the multinational naval maneuver Northern Coasts, part of the Quadriga 2025 exercise led by the Bundeswehr and NATO partners to strengthen defense readiness under realistic conditions in the Baltic Sea, off the coast of Kiel, Germany September 2, 2025. (Reuters)
Lithuanian's minhunter Skalvis (M53) moves through the water, as seen from the German Navy supply tender Donau, during the multinational naval maneuver Northern Coasts, part of the Quadriga 2025 exercise led by the Bundeswehr and NATO partners to strengthen defense readiness under realistic conditions in the Baltic Sea, off the coast of Kiel, Germany September 2, 2025. (Reuters)

Confusion emerged Friday over Trump administration plans to halt some security assistance funding to European countries along the border with Russia, with some Baltic defense leaders saying they have not received official notification.

Pentagon funding for programs that provide training and equipment to reinforce security would be cut, according to a person familiar with the discussions and a congressional aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter. It wasn't clear exactly how much money would be affected, though it could be hundreds of millions of dollars.

It includes funding under Section 333 and the Baltic Security Initiative, which helps finance weapons purchases by countries on NATO’s eastern flank, including of US systems, as well as ammunition, special forces training and intelligence support.

A White House official, who was not authorized to speak publicly so spoke on condition of anonymity, said the action has been coordinated with European countries and is part of President Donald Trump’s plan to ensure “Europe takes more responsibility for its own defense.”

The Trump administration has pushed NATO countries to step up their defense spending and slashed foreign assistance across the board. As Trump remakes the American approach to foreign policy, allies have tried to decipher often murky proposals, from tariffs to troop numbers. It was not clear whether US lawmakers would approve of some of the reductions, which were inconsistent with the Pentagon’s most recent allocations notified to Congress, the congressional aide said.

Baltic countries express confusion and concern

Former Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis said any cuts to American military support to the Baltic states — part of NATO's border with Russia — would “only weaken the credibility of NATO’s attempts at deterrence” as Moscow's war in Ukraine drags on.

Vaidotas Urbelis, Lithuania's Defense Ministry policy director, said there had been “discussions and certain indications” from the US but that the country had received no official information about any reduction in support and was talking to the Pentagon about “which programs will be continued and which may be postponed.”

Latvia's Defense Ministry also said it had not received any “official notification of concrete decisions” and said it would continue discussions on reaffirming the importance of the support.

The Estonian Defense Ministry said in a statement that it was clear the “current administration’s direction is to significantly cut foreign aid,” but added that US assistance increasingly makes up a smaller proportion of the country’s defense budget because Estonia has ramped up its own spending.

The three Baltic states, as well as Poland, are the NATO countries that spend the most on defense, promising to spend 5% of gross domestic product from 2026.

Members of Congress are also in the dark

Congressional offices also were waiting for details on what programs would be cut under the Pentagon’s proposal, but lawmakers from both political parties who have been supportive of US support to the region were alarmed.

Rep. Don Bacon, a Republican who is retiring next year, said on social media that it would be “a disastrous and shameful decision.”

“This Administration continues to be WEAK towards Putin and a WEAK leader of the Free World,” he added. “This will read as an ugly chapter in US history if the President does not reverse course.”

Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a statement that “this is a misguided move that sends exactly the wrong signal as we try to force Putin to the negotiating table and deter Russian aggression.”

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, joined with Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, to propose that Congress’ annual defense authorization bill include language to codify the Baltic Security Initiative, which established military cooperation between the US, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

The Pentagon said it has reviewed foreign assistance programs under Trump's orders and that he has been "unequivocal in asserting that allies and partners must assume greater responsibility for funding their own security."

The plans to cut the security funds were first reported by the Financial Times.

Where the funding goes

That initiative allocated about $377 million from 2018 to 2024, Estonia’s Defense Ministry said. It helped fund Estonia's purchase of critical capabilities, including US-made HIMARS multiple-launch rocket systems.

Also affected is Section 333 funding from the Defense Department, which totaled nearly $1.6 billion to Europe from 2018 to 2022, according to the Government Accountability Office.

However, State Department funding to Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia is unaffected as of yet. It provides roughly $7 billion a year in military assistance to the Baltic states, almost $6 billion of which is foreign military financing used by those countries to purchase US-made munitions and other materiel, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

The Estonian Defense Ministry suggested that funding cuts would still have to be approved by Congress.

Congress previously included the Baltic Security Initiative in the budget even though the Pentagon “has never been a huge fan of it,” said Helga Kalm, deputy director at the International Centre for Defense and Security in Tallinn, Estonia.

“It's too soon” to know if the funding will be pulled or not, she said.

Because the Baltic nations now have ramped up their defense spending and cooperate extensively, “it wouldn't be the end of the world" if it were cut, Kalm said.

The move came as military drills to train US military personnel to rapidly deploy forces and prepare for operations on NATO’s eastern flank started Friday in Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Poland.

Trump’s ambassador to NATO had said earlier this year that the US would start discussions later in the year about reducing troops in Europe, but the proposal has not moved forward. Trump suggested Thursday that he could send “more” troops to Poland.



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.