'No Amnesty!' Brazilians Protest against Bid to Pardon Bolsonaro

People carry a huge Brazilian flag reading "No amnesty" during the protest in Sao Paulo. Nelson ALMEIDA / AFP
People carry a huge Brazilian flag reading "No amnesty" during the protest in Sao Paulo. Nelson ALMEIDA / AFP
TT

'No Amnesty!' Brazilians Protest against Bid to Pardon Bolsonaro

People carry a huge Brazilian flag reading "No amnesty" during the protest in Sao Paulo. Nelson ALMEIDA / AFP
People carry a huge Brazilian flag reading "No amnesty" during the protest in Sao Paulo. Nelson ALMEIDA / AFP

Tens of thousands of Brazilians protested on Sunday against "shameless" lawmakers seeking an amnesty that could benefit former president Jair Bolsonaro, while pushing to shield themselves from criminal charges.

Bolsonaro was sentenced last week to 27 years in jail for plotting a coup and within days, the conservative-majority Congress had fast-tracked an amnesty bill that could include the far-right leader.

"No amnesty," crowds roared in dozens of Brazilian cities, holding up signs and wearing stickers reading "Shameless Congress."

Protesters were also outraged by what they dubbed the "Banditry Bill" passed this week. The law would require Congress to vote by secret ballot to give the go-ahead for one its own to be charged or arrested, said AFP.

President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva celebrated the protests, writing on Instagram: "I stand with the Brazilian people. Today's demonstrations show that the population does not want imputiny or amnesty."

Tens of thousands attended a "musical protest" on Rio de Janeiro's Copacabana beach in the sweltering heat.

"This protection they seek is to camouflage corruption, impunity," said Giovana Araujo, 27, a psychology student at the event.

Renowned octogenarians of Brazilian music, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, and Chico Buarque, took to a truck-mounted stage alongside palm trees to sing resistance songs from Brazil's dictatorship era.

Crowds sang along as a blow-up doll of Bolsonaro wearing black-and-white prison stripes bobbed next to one of US President Donald Trump, who has punished Brazil with tariffs in retaliation for the prosecution of his ally.

Veloso, 83, said musicians "could not fail to respond to the horrors that have been creeping in around us."

The artists "were literally boycotted during the military dictatorship, and seeing them here is synonymous with resistance," said Araujo, describing their appearance as "revolutionary."

"Once again, artists are mobilizing the people to demand justice in this country," said Yasmin Aimee Coelho Pessoa, a 20-year-old sociology student.

'Choking point'

In the megalopolis Sao Paulo, protesters unfurled a giant Brazilian flag, in response to a US flag displayed at a pro-Bolsonaro march this month.

The Political Debate Monitor at the University of Sao Paulo estimated crowds of 42,000 in the economic heartland, and a similar figure in Rio de Janeiro -- the biggest turnout for the left since President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva was re-elected in 2022.

Lula's razor-thin victory set off a series of political crises that still reverberate in Brazil today.

Bolsonaro was convicted of plotting to bar Lula from taking office, in a plan that judges said only failed due to a lack of support from military top brass.

Congress is pushing to offer amnesty to 700 of his supporters who were convicted of storming government buildings a week after Lula took office in January 2023, a bill that could include a pardon for Bolsonaro.

Further stoking public anger, lawmakers passed the bill to boost their immunity, citing the need for protection against judicial overreach.

"The left is reorganizing in the face of all these atrocities. And I feel like we've reached that choking point -- it's stuck in our throats, ready to come out as a scream," said Henrique Marques, a 42-year-old environmental engineer, who was among thousands protesting in the capital Brasilia.

Several deputies took to social media to apologize for voting for the controversial "Shielding Bill" saying they had faced pressure to do so in a fragmented parliament.

One state deputy, Pedro Campos, said he had voted for the bill to "prevent the boycott of important agendas" for the government of President Lula.

Both bills face an uphill battle in the Senate. Lula has vowed to veto the amnesty bill.

He also said the "Shielding Bill" was not the kind of "serious matter" that lawmakers should be dealing with.



US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
TT

US Military Conducts Rapid Response Exercise at Embassy in Venezuela

US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)
US Embassy holds emergency and air evacuation drill in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Mattey)

The US military conducted a rapid response exercise involving Marines and military aircraft in Venezuela’s capital Saturday, over four months after the ouster of then-President Nicolás Maduro.

Two Marine Corps Osprey aircraft, which have characteristics of both a helicopter and a fixed-wing airplane, flew over the recently reopened US Embassy in Caracas. They landed in the parking lot with the downdraft blowing tree branches. Forces then descended from the aircraft.

“Ensuring the military’s rapid response capability is a key component of mission readiness, both here in Venezuela and around the world,” The Associated Press quoted the embassy as saying on Instagram.

Venezuela’s government had announced the drill earlier this week. Foreign Minister Yván Gil said the US would conduct the exercise to prepare “in the event of medical emergencies or catastrophic emergencies.”

The drill comes almost two months after the US formally reopened its embassy in Caracas. The reopening followed the restoration of full diplomatic relations with the South American country after Maduro 's ouster in early January.

Some Caracas residents Saturday gathered near the embassy to watch the aircraft, while a few dozen others gathered elsewhere in the city to protest the exercise. Protesters held a Venezuelan flag with the message “No to the Yankee drill” written over it.

US military aircraft last flew over Caracas on Jan. 3, when elite forces rappelled down from helicopters and captured Maduro and his wife. Both were taken to New York to face drug trafficking charges. They have pleaded not guilty.


Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
TT

Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal

FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: US President Donald Trump leaves Marine One to board Air Force One en route to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as he departs Morristown Airport in Morristown, New Jersey, US, May 22, 2026. REUTERS/Kylie Cooper/File Photo

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that negotiators for the United States and Iran were "getting a lot closer" to finalizing an agreement to end the war, according to an interview with CBS News.

He said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and would ensure that Iran's enriched ⁠uranium would be "satisfactorily handled," ⁠according to CBS.

"I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump was quoted as saying.

But in the interview with the TV network, Trump also warned that if the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, "we're going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they're about to be hit."

Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that ⁠progress had been made in talks on ending almost three months of war.

Trump said he would discuss the latest Iran draft agreement with advisers on Saturday and might make a decision on whether to resume the war by Sunday, he told Axios in a separate interview.

"Either we reach a good deal or I'll ⁠blow ⁠them to a thousand hells," Trump said, according to Axios.

Trump has vacillated between the two poles of diplomacy and military strike since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow the sides to come to agreement on Iran's nuclear program and on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil and gas supply route now controlled by Tehran.

Iran signaled on Saturday “narrowing differences” in negotiations with the US after Pakistan’s army chief held more talks in Tehran, and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that “there’s been some progress made" and “there may be news later today.”


Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Rubio Says Progress Made on Iran

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio looks on as he speaks with reporters during a meeting of NATO foreign ministers, in Helsingborg, Sweden May 22, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Saturday that some progress has been made on Washington's dispute with Iran and that the US might have "something to say" on the issue in the coming days.

"There's been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that, whether it's later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say," Rubio told reporters during his visit to New Delhi.

Meanwhile, Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said on Saturday that Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework for a deal to end the war with the United States.

"Within a reasonable period of 30 to 60 days, the details of these points will be discussed and a final agreement will ultimately be concluded. We are currently in the process of finalizing these memoranda of understanding," he told state broadcaster IRIB.