Iran Considers Russian-Chinese Mediation to Resume Cooperation with IAEA

Iranians drive past a banner featuring a picture of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei with a quote in Persian that reads, 'Cheerful! The US president is proud that they have destroyed and bombed our nuclear industry. Very well, keep dreaming,' hanging on a street in Tehran, Iran, 21 October 2025.  EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
Iranians drive past a banner featuring a picture of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei with a quote in Persian that reads, 'Cheerful! The US president is proud that they have destroyed and bombed our nuclear industry. Very well, keep dreaming,' hanging on a street in Tehran, Iran, 21 October 2025. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
TT

Iran Considers Russian-Chinese Mediation to Resume Cooperation with IAEA

Iranians drive past a banner featuring a picture of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei with a quote in Persian that reads, 'Cheerful! The US president is proud that they have destroyed and bombed our nuclear industry. Very well, keep dreaming,' hanging on a street in Tehran, Iran, 21 October 2025.  EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH
Iranians drive past a banner featuring a picture of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei with a quote in Persian that reads, 'Cheerful! The US president is proud that they have destroyed and bombed our nuclear industry. Very well, keep dreaming,' hanging on a street in Tehran, Iran, 21 October 2025. EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH

Tehran is ready to consider a Russian and Chinese plan to resume cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said Kamal Kharrazi, a top foreign affairs advisor to Supreme Leader Ali Khamanei.

Kharrazi’s offer came on the eve of a meeting of the UN atomic watchdog's 35-nation Board of Governors to discuss a report by its chief, Rafael Grossi, on the Iranian nuclear program.

Iran had suspended talks with the atomic watchdog after Israel and then the United States attacked its nuclear facilities in June.

Last week, Iran warned the United States and three European countries against submitting a new draft resolution to the IAEA Board of Governors, saying the move would only complicate the current situation without affecting Iran’s safeguards implementation.

According to Mehr News agency, Kharrazi, who is also the head of the Tehran-based Strategic Council for Foreign Relations, said in an interview that Iran has expressed its readiness to consider mediation by Russia and China to revive Iran’s cooperation with the IAEA.

Asked whether Iran sees Russia and China as possible mediators for reaching a new framework for cooperation between Tehran and the Agency, Kharrazi told RIA Novosti on Tuesday, “Yes. If such a plan is proposed, we will consider it.”

On Sunday, the Iranian official said his country is willing to resume nuclear talks with the US if they are conducted respectfully.

“They have to make the first move to show that they are ready to engage with us on the conditions that we put... it has to be based on equal footing and mutual respect,” he told CNN.

“Unfortunately, President (Donald) Trump does not believe in diplomatic engagement but rather prefers to use force to achieve his objectives,” he added.

Meanwhile, the chairman of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission warned that any politically driven or hostile resolution against Iran at the upcoming IAEA Board of Governors meeting will prompt a proportionate response.

Deputy Ebrahim Azizi told Tasnim news agency that Iran’s reaction to Grossi’s conduct and “malevolence” should no longer be limited to mere warnings, describing current actions by the IAEA chief and Western institutions as deliberate and targeted moves against Iran’s national interests.

On Monday, Iranian Foreign Abbas Araghchi held a telephone conversation with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov and discussed the nuclear file and Moscow’s position regarding the upcoming IAEA meeting this week.

In a statement issued by the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Araghchi said the UN atomic watchdog needs to adhere to its technical mandate and avoid politicized behavior or yielding to pressure and political influence from the United States and some European members.

Referring to IAEA Board of Governors meeting, the two sides also agreed to coordinate positions and cooperation, while emphasizing the peaceful nature of Iran's nuclear program.

Iranian officials had warned the UN body against adopting an anti-Iran resolution.
“There’s no undeclared nuclear enrichment facility in Iran; all of our facilities are under the safeguard and monitoring of the agency,” Araghchi said during a forum held in Tehran on Sunday.

Two days later, Iran’s government spokeswoman reaffirmed Araghchi’s statements, saying her country cannot enrich uranium due to damage from Israeli and American strikes on its nuclear sites.

“Given the damage inflicted on Iran’s nuclear processes, enrichment is not currently possible,” Fatemeh Mohajerani told a news conference in Tehran, referring to attacks during the 12-day war in June.

Also, Mohajerani warned the IAEA from adopting any western resolution against Iran during its Board of Governors meeting.

She said, “Iran’s Foreign Ministry, the Atomic Energy Organization, and the Supreme National Security Council will review the matter. Parliament could also get involved if necessary.”

At the forum last Sunday, Iran’s deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi said, “In case of a resolution, Iran will consider a review of its relations with the IAEA and will conduct a fundamental review.”

Last September, Iran signed a deal with the UN nuclear watchdog in Cairo to allow the IAEA to resume inspections at all declared Iranian nuclear facilities including those damaged in Israeli and US strikes in June.

But later after the E3 countries restored UN sanctions on Iran through the so-called snapback mechanism, Iranian officials said the deal with the IAEA would “certainly be halted.”

Last week, Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty held separate phone calls with Iranian Araghchi and Grossi to follow up on developments related to Iran’s nuclear file and efforts to de-escalate tension between the two sides.

The two calls touched on developments ahead of the IAEA Board of Governors meeting as Abdelatty underscored the importance of maintaining dialogue within multilateral frameworks to support the global non-proliferation system at both the regional and international levels and to bolster international security and stability.



Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
TT

Türkiye: Ocalan Announces ‘Integration Phase’

Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)
Members of the Kurdish community take part in a protest calling for the release of convicted Kurdistan Worker's Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Ocalan in Diyarbakir on February 15, 2026. (Photo by Ilyas AKENGIN / AFP)

The jailed leader of the Kurdistan Workers Party, Abdullah Ocalan, has said that the Ankara-PKK peace process has entered its “second phase,” as the Turkish parliament sets the stage to vote on a draft report proposing legal reforms tied to peace efforts.

A delegation from the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party), including lawmakers Pervin Buldan, Mithat Sancar, and Ocalan’s lawyer Ozgur Faik, met with the jailed PKK leader on Monday on the secluded Imrali island.

Sancar said that the second phase will be focused on democratic integration into
Türkiye’s political system.

According to the lawmaker, the PKK leader considered the first phase the “negative dimension” concerned with ending the decades-old conflict between the armed group and Ankara.

“Now we are facing the positive phase,” Ocalan said, “the integration phase is the positive phase; it is the phase of construction.”

For the second phase to be implemented, Ocalan called on Turkish authorities to provide conditions that would allow him to put his “theoretical and practical capacity” to work.

The 60-page draft report on peace with the PKK was completed by a five-member writing team, which is chaired by Parliament Speaker Numan Kurtulmuş, and is scheduled for a vote on Wednesday.

The report is organized into seven sections.

In July last year, Ocalan said the group's armed struggle against Türkiye has ended and called for a full shift to democratic politics.


Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians shouted slogans against Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday as they gathered to commemorate protesters killed in a crackdown on nationwide demonstrations that rights groups said left thousands dead, according to videos verified by AFP.

The country's clerical authorities also staged a commemoration in the capital Tehran to mark the 40th day since the deaths at the peak of the protests on January 8 and 9.

Officials acknowledge more than 3,000 people died during the unrest, but attribute the violence to "terrorist acts", while rights groups say many more thousands of people were killed, shot dead by security forces in a violent crackdown.

The protests, sparked by anger over the rising cost of living before exploding in size and anti-government fervor, subsided after the crackdown, but in recent days Iranians have chanted slogans from the relative safety of homes and rooftops at night.

On Tuesday, videos verified by AFP showed crowds gathering at memorials for some of those killed again shouting slogans against the theocratic government in place since the 1979 revolution.

In videos geolocated by AFP shared on social media, a crowd in Abadan in western Iran holds up flowers and commemorative photos of a young man as they shout "death to Khamenei" and "long live the shah", in support of the ousted monarchy.

Another video from the same city shows people running in panic from the sounds of shots, though it wasn't immediately clear if they were from live fire.

In the northeastern city of Mashhad a crowd in the street chanted, "One person killed, thousands have his back", another verified video showed.

Gatherings also took place in other parts of the country, according to videos shared by rights groups.

- Official commemorations -

At the government-organized memorial in Tehran crowds carried Iranian flags and portraits of those killed as nationalist songs played and chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" echoed through the Khomeini Grand Mosalla mosque.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended a similar event at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.

Authorities have accused sworn enemies the United States and Israel of fueling "foreign-instigated riots", saying they hijacked peaceful protests with killings and vandalism.

Senior officials, including First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref and Revolutionary Guards commander Esmail Qaani, attended the ceremony.

"Those who supported rioters and terrorists are criminals and will face the consequences," Qaani said, according to Tasnim news agency.

International organizations have said evidence shows Iranian security forces targeted protesters with live fire under the cover of an internet blackout.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though rights groups warn the toll is likely far higher.

More than 53,500 people have been arrested in the ongoing crackdown, HRANA added, with rights groups warning protesters could face execution.

Tuesday's gatherings coincided with a second round of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva, amid heightened tensions after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Middle East following Iran's crackdown on the protests.


Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

An ‌independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organization's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

In the past week several European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, called for Albanese’s resignation over her alleged criticism of Israel. Albanese, an Italian lawyer, denies making the remarks.

On Friday, the Czech Republic's Foreign Minister Petr Macinka quoted Albanese on X as having called Israel a "common enemy of humanity", and he ‌also called for ‌her resignation.

A transcript of Albanese's remarks ‌made ⁠in Doha on ⁠February 7 seen by Reuters did not characterize Israel in this way, although she has consistently criticized the country in the past over the Gaza conflict.

The UN Coordination Committee - a body of six independent experts which coordinates and facilitates the work of Special Rapporteurs - accused European ministers of relying on "manufactured ⁠facts".

"Instead of demanding Ms. Albanese's resignation ‌for performing her mandate...these government representatives ‌should join forces to hold accountable, including before the International Criminal Court, ‌leaders and officials accused of committing war crimes and ‌crimes against humanity in Gaza," the Committee said.

It said the pressure exerted on Albanese was part of an increasing trend of politically motivated and malicious attacks against independent human rights experts, UN officials ‌and judges of international courts.

US President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Albanese after she wrote ⁠letters ⁠to US companies accusing them of contributing to gross human rights violations by Israel in Gaza and the West Bank.

UN experts are commissioned by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council to monitor and document specific human rights crises but are independent of the organization itself.

There is no precedent for removing a special rapporteur during their term, although diplomats said that states on the 47-member council could in theory propose a motion to do so.

However, they said strong support for Palestinian rights within the body means that such a motion was unlikely to pass.