UN Refugee Agency Hails $1.5 Bn in Early Donations Amid Funding Crunch

Ibrahim Mohamed Ishaq, 35, a Sudanese refugee father from el-Fasher, stands near firewood after purchasing it for warmth inside the Tine transit camp, after arriving and securing a place in eastern Chad, as he and his family flee ongoing clashes between the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, November 22, 2025. (Reuters)
Ibrahim Mohamed Ishaq, 35, a Sudanese refugee father from el-Fasher, stands near firewood after purchasing it for warmth inside the Tine transit camp, after arriving and securing a place in eastern Chad, as he and his family flee ongoing clashes between the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, November 22, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

UN Refugee Agency Hails $1.5 Bn in Early Donations Amid Funding Crunch

Ibrahim Mohamed Ishaq, 35, a Sudanese refugee father from el-Fasher, stands near firewood after purchasing it for warmth inside the Tine transit camp, after arriving and securing a place in eastern Chad, as he and his family flee ongoing clashes between the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, November 22, 2025. (Reuters)
Ibrahim Mohamed Ishaq, 35, a Sudanese refugee father from el-Fasher, stands near firewood after purchasing it for warmth inside the Tine transit camp, after arriving and securing a place in eastern Chad, as he and his family flee ongoing clashes between the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, November 22, 2025. (Reuters)

The United Nations refugee agency said Tuesday it had secured more than $1.5 billion in early pledges to support its work in 2026, at a time when aid funding is plummeting globally.

"Today's commitments show that the world has not turned its back on people forced to flee, and that support for refugees endures," United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) chief Filippo Grandi said in a statement.

During a donor conference in Geneva, governments pledged $1.16 billion to the agency for 2026, which was "slightly above the amount pledged last year... which was an all-time high", it said.

An additional commitment of $350 million from the private sector brought the total to $1.5 billion, covering nearly 18 percent of the UNHCR's projected funding needs for next year, it said, adding that additional contributions were expected in the coming months.

Top government contributors included Denmark, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands and Norway, alongside substantially increased contributions from Ireland, Luxembourg and Iceland, the UNHCR said.

It was welcome news for the agency, which is grappling with a towering crisis: amid surging global displacement, humanitarian funding has been fast evaporating this year.

The United States -- traditionally the world's top donor -- has slashed foreign aid spending since President Donald Trump returned to office in January, while other major donor countries have tightened their belts.

The UNHCR announced in October that it had been forced to shed nearly 5,000 jobs globally, with dire consequences for refugees in need of aid and protection.

"This year's drastic funding cuts -- neither necessary nor inevitable -- have been deeply counterproductive, leading to more instability and less protection, assistance and hope," Grandi said.

While welcoming the early pledges for 2026, the UNHCR said they highlighted a "worrisome trend", with the percentage of unearmarked funds dropping to just 17 percent -- nearly half of the 2023 share.

Humanitarian organizations prefer receiving flexible funds not bound to specific activities, allowing them to dedicate resources where they are most needed and react more easily to emergencies.

UNHCR has said it needs $8.5 billion to cover its 2026 budget -- down 20 percent from this year's.

This decrease is not due to a reduction in needs, but rather to a strategic shift in how UNHCR plans and implements its actions, it said last month, stressing a greater focus on protection, life-saving interventions and systems support in host countries.



Pakistan Says 11 Citizens, 20 Iranian Nationals Being Repatriated from Vessels Seized by US

 Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Pakistan Says 11 Citizens, 20 Iranian Nationals Being Repatriated from Vessels Seized by US

 Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Musandam, Oman, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)

Pakistan is repatriating 11 of its nationals and 20 Iranians from vessels seized in the high seas by the US, Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said on Friday.

They were repatriated through Singapore to ‌Bangkok en ‌route to Pakistan's capital Islamabad ‌on ⁠Friday night, Dar ⁠added in an X post, with the Iranians due to continue to their homeland.

"All individuals are in good health and high spirits," the Pakistani minister ⁠said.

It was not immediately ‌clear which ‌vessels they had been on.

The US-Israeli ‌war on Iran, which began ‌in February, was suspended last month after a fragile ceasefire but Washington and Tehran have engaged in naval ‌confrontations and seizures of each other's vessels as they struggle ⁠to ⁠reach a peace pact.

Pakistan has been mediating between the US and Iran.

Iran effectively shut the Strait of Hormuz, which normally handles about one-fifth of the world's seaborne oil and gas supply, to most shipping after the war began.


FBI Offers $200,000 Reward to Catch Ex-Air Force Specialist Wanted on Espionage Charges in Iran

An FBI seal is displayed on a podium before a news conference at the field office in Portland, Ore., Jan. 16, 2025. (AP)
An FBI seal is displayed on a podium before a news conference at the field office in Portland, Ore., Jan. 16, 2025. (AP)
TT

FBI Offers $200,000 Reward to Catch Ex-Air Force Specialist Wanted on Espionage Charges in Iran

An FBI seal is displayed on a podium before a news conference at the field office in Portland, Ore., Jan. 16, 2025. (AP)
An FBI seal is displayed on a podium before a news conference at the field office in Portland, Ore., Jan. 16, 2025. (AP)

The FBI is offering a $200,000 reward for information leading to capture and prosecution of a former US Air Force counterintelligence specialist who defected to Iran in 2013 and was later charged with revealing classified information to the Tehran government.

Monica Elfriede Witt, 47, was indicted by a federal grand jury in February 2019 on charges of espionage, including transmitting national defense information to the government of Iran. She remains at large.

Witt “allegedly betrayed her oath to the Constitution more than a decade ago by defecting to Iran and providing the Iranian regime National Defense Information and likely continues to support their nefarious activities,” Daniel Wierzbicki, special agent in charge of the FBI Washington Field Office’s Counterintelligence and Cyber Division, said in a news release Wednesday.

“The FBI has not forgotten and believes that during this critical moment in Iran’s history, there is someone who knows something about her whereabouts.”

It wasn't immediately known why the FBI was bringing attention to Witt's case. The United States and Iran have been at war since Feb. 28.

Witt served in the Air Force between 1997 and 2008, where she was trained in the Farsi language and was deployed overseas on classified counterintelligence missions, including to the Middle East. She later found work as a Defense Department contractor.

The Texas native defected to Iran in 2013 after being invited to two all-expense-paid conferences in the country that the Justice Department says promoted anti-Western propaganda and condemned American moral standards.

Before that, Witt had been warned by the FBI about her activities, but told agents that she would not provide sensitive information about her work if she returned to Iran, prosecutors said.

According to the indictment, Witt placed at risk "sensitive and classified US national defense information and programs,” the news release said.

“Witt allegedly intentionally provided information endangering US personnel and their families stationed abroad. She also allegedly conducted research on behalf of the Iranian regime to allow them to target her former colleagues in the US government,” it said.


South Korea to Investigate Ship Debris from Hormuz Attack

 This undated handout photograph released by South Korea's Foreign Ministry on May 10, 2026, shows a damaged part of the South Korean cargo ship HMM Namu docked at a port in Dubai. (Handout / South Korean Foreign Ministry / AFP)
This undated handout photograph released by South Korea's Foreign Ministry on May 10, 2026, shows a damaged part of the South Korean cargo ship HMM Namu docked at a port in Dubai. (Handout / South Korean Foreign Ministry / AFP)
TT

South Korea to Investigate Ship Debris from Hormuz Attack

 This undated handout photograph released by South Korea's Foreign Ministry on May 10, 2026, shows a damaged part of the South Korean cargo ship HMM Namu docked at a port in Dubai. (Handout / South Korean Foreign Ministry / AFP)
This undated handout photograph released by South Korea's Foreign Ministry on May 10, 2026, shows a damaged part of the South Korean cargo ship HMM Namu docked at a port in Dubai. (Handout / South Korean Foreign Ministry / AFP)

Debris from a fire-damaged cargo ship said to have been attacked by unidentified aircraft in the Strait of Hormuz arrived in South Korea on Friday for investigation, the foreign ministry said.

Iran has largely blocked shipping through the vital strait since conflict broke out with the United States and Israel on February 28 and Washington blockaded Tehran's ports.

HMM Namu was struck by "two unidentified aircraft" on May 4, hitting the outer plate of the vessel's port-side ballast tank near the stern and causing a fire in the engine room, Seoul, a US ally, said at a press briefing on Sunday.

The Panama-flagged cargo vessel, operated by South Korean shipping firm HMM Co., had arrived in Dubai last week for investigation.

Its debris "arrived in South Korea by air following consultations with the UAE government" on Friday, Seoul's foreign ministry said in a statement.

The vessel debris is "scheduled to undergo detailed analysis by a specialized institution", it added without providing further detail.

Seoul said the aircraft involved in the attack "were captured on CCTV footage, but there are limitations in identifying the exact type, launch origin and physical size of the objects".

A senior government official told local media this week that the "likelihood that the (attacking) entity was someone other than Iran is low."

Tehran has denied responsibility, with its embassy in Seoul posting a statement on its website in the days following the attack, saying it "firmly rejects and categorically denies any allegations regarding the involvement" of its forces.

Seoul strongly condemned the attack and said it hopes to identify those behind it through a thorough investigation.

South Korea, Asia's fourth-largest economy, relies heavily on Middle Eastern fuel imports, most of which transited through the Strait of Hormuz during peacetime.

As a major petrochemicals producer and refiner, the closure has forced South Korea to impose a fuel price cap for the first time in nearly 30 years.