Iran’s Leaders Struggle to End Protests, US Action in Venezuela Stokes Fears

 People walk on a street, as protests erupt over the collapse of the currency's value, in Tehran, Iran, January 5, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk on a street, as protests erupt over the collapse of the currency's value, in Tehran, Iran, January 5, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Iran’s Leaders Struggle to End Protests, US Action in Venezuela Stokes Fears

 People walk on a street, as protests erupt over the collapse of the currency's value, in Tehran, Iran, January 5, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk on a street, as protests erupt over the collapse of the currency's value, in Tehran, Iran, January 5, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Iran's efforts to quell a wave of anti-government protests have been complicated by Donald Trump's threat to intervene on their side, a warning firmly underlined by the subsequent US capture of Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro, officials and insiders said on Monday.

A day before US special forces seized Maduro and his wife on January 3 and whisked them off to New York, the US president warned in a social media post that if Iran's leadership killed protesters who have taken to the streets since December 28 the US "will come to their rescue". At least 17 people have died so far.

Tehran's options have been limited by Trump's threats and a long-running economic crisis that deepened after Israel, joined by the US, launched strikes on the country in June in a 12-day war that pummeled several of Iran's nuclear sites.

SOME FEAR IRAN MAY BE 'NEXT VICTIM', OFFICIAL SAYS

"These twin pressures have narrowed Tehran's room for maneuver, leaving leaders caught between public anger on the streets and hardening demands and threats from Washington, with few viable options and high risks on every path," one Iranian official told Reuters.

The view was echoed by two other officials and a former Iranian official who remains close to Iran's decision makers. All of them asked not to be identified due to the sensitivity of the situation.

A second official said that, ‌after US action in ‌Venezuela, some of the authorities feared Iran could be "the next victim of Trump's aggressive foreign policy".

Iran's economy has ‌been ⁠hammered by years of ‌US sanctions, but its rial has been in freefall since last year's Israeli-US strikes that mainly targeted nuclear sites, where the West says Tehran has been working on nuclear arms. Iran denies this.

The protests that erupted in Tehran and which have spread to some cities in western and southern Iran do not match the scale of unrest that swept the nation in 2022-23 over the death of Mahsa Amini, who died in the custody of Iran's morality police for allegedly violating the hijab law.

But, even if smaller, these protests have quickly expanded from an economic focus to broader frustrations, with some protesters chanting "Down with the Islamic Republic" or "Death to the dictator" - a reference to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei who has the final say in all state matters.

That presents a challenge for the authorities which have been trying to maintain and nurture the spirit of national ⁠unity that emerged during and after the Israeli-US strikes.

A third official said worries were growing in Tehran that "Trump or Israel might take military action against Iran, like what they did in June."

IRAN IS LONGTIME ALLY ‌OF VENEZUELA

Iran, which has for years allied itself with fellow oil producer Venezuela, which like Iran has ‍suffered under years of US sanctions, has condemned Washington's action in Caracas. ‍It has also condemned Trump's statements about Iran.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said such statements about "Iran's internal affairs amount, under international norms, to nothing more than ‍incitement to violence, incitement to terrorism, and incitement to killing".

On Friday, Trump threatened to intervene if protesters faced violence, declaring, "We are locked and loaded and ready to go," though he offered no details on what actions he might take.

The protests threaten what has long been Khamenei's defining priority: preserving the republic at any cost. In a sign of the leadership's concern, Khamenei on Saturday accused "enemies of the republic" of fomenting unrest and warned that "rioters should be put in their place".

WORST UNREST IN THE PAST THREE YEARS

Authorities have attempted to maintain a dual approach to the unrest, saying protests over the economy are legitimate and will be met by dialogue, while meeting some demonstrations with tear gas amid violent street confrontations.

However, at least 17 people have been killed in a week, rights groups said ⁠on Sunday. Authorities have said at least two members of the security services had died and more than a dozen were injured in the unrest.

The country's clerical establishment is still coming to terms with the 2025 Israeli and US strikes on Iranian nuclear and military targets. The attacks, which killed top Revolutionary Guard commanders and nuclear scientists, were launched just a day before a planned sixth round of talks with Washington over Tehran's disputed nuclear program.

Negotiations have stalled since the June conflict, even as both sides insist they remain open to a deal.

Washington and its allies accuse Iran of using its nuclear program as cover to develop weapons capability, a charge Tehran denies, saying its ambitions are purely peaceful.

DEEPENING ECONOMIC HARDSHIP, LACK OF TANGIBLE SOLUTION

Economic grievances remain at the heart of latest unrest.

Widening disparities between ordinary Iranians and a privileged clerical and security elite, compounded by mismanagement, runaway inflation and corruption — factors even acknowledged by state media — have fueled public anger.

Witnesses in Tehran, Mashhad and Tabriz reported a heavy security presence in main squares. "You can feel the tense atmosphere in Tehran, but life continues as normal," said Amir Reza, 47, a carpet shop owner in Tehran's Grand Bazaar.

President Masoud Pezeshkian has urged dialogue and promised reforms to stabilize the monetary and banking systems and protect purchasing power.

Starting January 10, the government will provide a monthly stipend of 10,000,000 rials per person (about $7) in non-cashable ‌electronic credit for use in select grocery stores, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported.

For lower-income households, whose monthly salaries barely exceed $150, the measure represents a modest but meaningful boost. The rial lost roughly half its value against the dollar in 2025, while official inflation reached 42.5% in December.



Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighbouring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into state structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month between the sides.

In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited as saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.

Meanwhile, a Turkish parliamentary commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve a report envisaging legal reforms alongside the militant Kurdistan Workers Party's (PKK) disarmament, advancing a peace process meant to end decades of conflict.

The PKK - designated a terrorist organization by Türkiye, the United States and European Union - halted attacks last year and said it would disarm and disband, calling on Ankara to take steps to let its members participate in politics.

The roughly 60-page report proposes a roadmap for the parliament to enact laws, including a conditional legal framework that urges the judiciary to review legislation and comply with European Court of Human Rights and Constitutional Court rulings.

The pro-Kurdish DEM Party, which has been closely involved in the process and held several meetings with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in prison, objected to the report's presentation of the Kurdish issue as a terrorism problem but generally welcomed the report and called for rapid implementation.

“We believe legal regulations must be enacted quickly,” senior DEM lawmaker Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit told Reuters. Parts of the report offered “a very important roadmap for the advancement of this process," she said.

Erdogan signaled that the legislative process would begin straight away. “Now, discussions will begin in our parliament regarding the legal aspects of the process,” he said.


Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.