New Crackdown Feared in Iran After Police Chief Brands Protesters ‘Enemies’

 People walk past closed shops at the nearly empty Tajrish traditional bazaar in northern Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, March 10, 2026. (AP)
People walk past closed shops at the nearly empty Tajrish traditional bazaar in northern Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, March 10, 2026. (AP)
TT

New Crackdown Feared in Iran After Police Chief Brands Protesters ‘Enemies’

 People walk past closed shops at the nearly empty Tajrish traditional bazaar in northern Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, March 10, 2026. (AP)
People walk past closed shops at the nearly empty Tajrish traditional bazaar in northern Tehran, Iran, Tuesday, March 10, 2026. (AP)

Campaigners fear Iranian authorities are intent on launching a new crackdown on opponents even under wartime conditions, after the police chief threatened to shoot protesters and treat them as enemies. 

The war between Iran and the United States and Israel erupted just weeks after unprecedented protests against the clerical establishment peaked in January. 

But rights groups say those demonstrations were put down in a crackdown that left thousands of people dead and tens of thousands arrested. 

The conflict, which began with an air strike that killed supreme leader Ali Khamenei and other top security officials, is the latest existential threat to the Islamic republic in its 47-year history after years of economic crises and protests. 

Rights activists say that even after the killing of its leader, Iran's system still has powerful levers of repression including the Revolutionary Guards as well as the regular police who both played a key role in putting down the protests in January. 

"If anyone comes forward in line with the wishes of the enemy, we will no longer see them as merely a protester, we will see them as an enemy," national police chief Ahmad-Reza Radan said in comments aired by state broadcaster IRIB late on Tuesday. 

"And we will do to them what we do to an enemy. We will deal with them in the same way we deal with enemies," he added. 

"All our forces are also ready, with their hands on the trigger, prepared to defend their revolution." 

A prominent figure in Iran, Radan had initially been reported to have been killed in an Israeli strike during Israel's 12-day war against Iran in June 2025 but later emerged unscathed. 

He is also one of several key officials to have so far survived the current conflict. 

Norway-based NGO Iran Human Rights (IHR) said Wednesday security forces had continued to arrest civil society activists in the western regions of Iran despite the ongoing wartime conditions. 

It said sociologist and civil rights activist Ghorban Abbasi in Naghadeh in west Azerbaijan province had been detained and taken to an unspecified location. 

- 'Real existential threat' - 

"This is the bitter reality of the Islamic republic: Even in the midst of a crisis, it seizes the opportunity for repression," Nobel peace prize laureate Shirin Ebadi wrote in a post on Telegram. 

"When the police chief says 'hands on the trigger' it means he is ready to kill citizens instead of protecting people's lives," she added. 

Iran "says in a thousand languages that its first enemy is its own people, followed by Israel and America." 

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) recorded more than 7,000 killings in the January crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though the toll may be far higher. More than 50,000 have been arrested, it said. 

There have been few reports so far of protests against the authorities amid the bombardments, although videos verified by AFP did emerge of people chanting "death to Mojtaba" in Tehran after Khamenei's son Mojtaba was named supreme leader in his place. 

Reza Pahlavi, the son of the shah deposed by the 1979 revolution, and who cheered on the January protests from his US exile, on Wednesday called on people to stay home and await a further call for action. 

In a clip shared virally on Wednesday, a presenter on state TV was seen warning "we will make mothers mourn those inside or outside the country who have the foolish idea that amid chaos something must be done". 

- 'Harsher repression than ever' - 

"Radan's statement is part of a broader pattern of threats from Islamic republic officials about an even more brutal crackdown on protests," said Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, director of Norway-based IHR. 

"The authorities know that their real existential threat is not American or Israeli bombs and missiles, but the Iranian people who demand fundamental change," he told AFP. 

The Iranian judiciary under its chief Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei, another powerful figure who also survived the initial phase of this conflict, has already vowed harsh punishment for those arrested over the January protests, including the use of capital punishment. 

Iran executed more than 1,500 people in 2025, according to IHR, and is the world's most prolific executioner after China. 

"If it survives this war, we fear that the republic will respond with even harsher repression -- mass arrests, violent crackdowns on protests and the execution of prisoners, including political detainees and protesters -- than ever before," said Amiry-Moghaddam. 



US Voices Hope on Iran Deal Progress Before Pakistan Army Chief Visit

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
TT

US Voices Hope on Iran Deal Progress Before Pakistan Army Chief Visit

Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks to the press before boarding his plane at Homestead Air Reserve Base, Thursday, May 21, 2026. Julia Demaree Nikhinson/Pool via REUTERS

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio voiced hope on Thursday of progress on ending the war with Iran, with mediator Pakistan's army chief due to arrive in Iran for talks.

The expected visit by Field Marshal Asim Munir, a powerful figure with a growing role in Pakistan's foreign relations, comes a day after US President Donald Trump warned that negotiations to end the war were on the "borderline" between a deal and renewed strikes.

"I believe the Pakistanis will be travelling to Tehran today. So hopefully that'll advance this further," Rubio told reporters on Thursday, according to Reuters.

A ceasefire on April 8 halted the war launched weeks earlier by the US and Israel, but negotiation efforts have so far failed to yield a lasting peace agreement.

A war of words has taken the place of open conflict but the impasse continues to weigh on the world economy, leaving everyone from investors to farmers in a painful state of uncertainty.

On Thursday, Iran's ISNA news agency said Munir's visit was aimed at continuing "talks and consultations" with Iranian authorities, without providing details. Other Iranian media carried the same report.

Pakistan hosted in April the only direct negotiations between US and Iranian officials to take place since February 28, the day the war began.

Munir was at the center of the action during that round of talks, greeting both delegations on their arrival and displaying remarkable bonhomie with US Vice President JD Vance.

But the talks ultimately failed, with Iran accusing the US of making "excessive demands".

Since then, the two sides have exchanged multiple proposals, with the threat of renewed war looming all along.

"It's right on the borderline, believe me," Trump told reporters Wednesday. "If we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go."

He said a deal could come "very quickly" or "in a few days", but warned Tehran would have to provide "100 percent good answers".

Rubio also criticized NATO allies for their refusal to help Trump's war against Iran.

"He's not asking them to commit troops. He's not asking them to send their fighter jets in. But they refuse to do anything," he said.

"We were very upset about that."

Tehran's chief negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf on Wednesday accused Washington of seeking to restart the war, warning of a "forceful response" if Iran were to be attacked.

"The enemy's movements, both overt and clandestine, show that despite economic and political pressure, it has not abandoned its military objectives and is seeking to start a new war," Ghalibaf said.

Iran's foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said Iran was examining points received from Washington, while repeating Tehran's demands for the release of its assets frozen abroad and an end to a US naval blockade.

Trump is under political pressure at home as energy costs rise.

The ceasefire halted the fighting but has not reopened the Strait of Hormuz, the vital waterway that normally carries about a fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas.

The future of Hormuz remains a key sticking point in the negotiations, with fears growing that the global economy will feel more pain as pre-war oil stockpiles run down.

Iran imposed the blockade of Hormuz as part of its retaliation in the war, allowing only a trickle of vessels through in recent weeks while introducing a toll system.


Trump Postpones Signing Order on AI Oversight

US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
TT

Trump Postpones Signing Order on AI Oversight

US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK
US President Donald Trump speaks during an event with Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC, USA, 21 May 2026. EPA/AL DRAGO / POOL NEWS SERVICE OK

US President Donald Trump on Thursday said he had postponed signing an executive order on AI because he "didn't like certain aspects of it."

Trump had planned to sign the order at a ceremony on Thursday afternoon attended by CEOs of AI companies.

The order would create a voluntary framework for AI developers to ⁠engage with the ⁠US government before the public release of covered models, two sources told Reuters on Wednesday.

The president also had planned to direct the US government to use the advanced models to improve the cybersecurity defenses of ⁠government systems, along with networks owned by sectors that are vital to the nation's economy, such as banks and hospitals, according to another source.

Concerns are growing across the US government and in the private sector about the cybersecurity risks posed by powerful new AI systems, including Anthropic’s Mythos.

Anthropic has warned that Mythos could supercharge complex cyberattacks, though cybersecurity experts ⁠told ⁠Reuters that fears of unfettered hacking are overstated.

The president's executive order, if implemented, could hurt the industry's profits if it slows the rollout of new models or prompts companies to change how they perform to address security concerns.

Trump, who spoke to reporters on Thursday in the Oval Office, did not say which parts of the order he didn't like.


Teen Among 3 Dead in Türkiye after Floods, Landslides Hit Southern Province

FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
TT

Teen Among 3 Dead in Türkiye after Floods, Landslides Hit Southern Province

FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)
FILE - A Navy officer helps a woman cross a flooded street after heavy rain in Poza Rica, Veracruz state, Mexico, Oct. 12, 2025. (AP Photo/Felix Marquez, File)

Three people have died during flooding in southern Türkiye on Thursday, officials said, as the Interior Ministry issued weather warnings for 15 of the country's 81 provinces.

Heavy rainfall in Hatay, the province most affected by a devastating earthquake in 2023, caused the Asi river, also known as the Orontes, to break its banks, submerging fields and villages. Roads and bridges were also washed away, The Associated Press reported.

Among the victims was a 15-year-old boy who died in a house that collapsed during a landslide in Antakya, the provincial capital, Hatay Gov. Mustafa Masatli said.

A 66-year-old man died when his car rolled into a ditch in Defne, while and another man, aged 62, was swept away in floodwaters in the Samandag district.

Masatli said the flooding had caused significant damage to agriculture across 2,900 hectares (7,166 acres) as disaster teams continued to assess the impact. Firefighters rescued many people by boat as residents bailed out their homes and tried to hold the waters at bay with makeshift barriers.