Israel Targets Islamic Jihad Leaders in Iran: What We Know

A group of Al-Quds Brigades fighters in Gaza, October 2023 (EPA)
A group of Al-Quds Brigades fighters in Gaza, October 2023 (EPA)
TT

Israel Targets Islamic Jihad Leaders in Iran: What We Know

A group of Al-Quds Brigades fighters in Gaza, October 2023 (EPA)
A group of Al-Quds Brigades fighters in Gaza, October 2023 (EPA)

Israel’s Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir said on Tuesday that Palestinian figures linked to Iran had been killed “inside a safe house they had taken refuge in,” while Israeli military correspondents, citing sources, said the targets were two senior leaders in the Palestinian Islamic Jihad.

The sources identified them as the group’s deputy leader, Mohammad al-Hindi, and the head of its armed wing, the Al-Quds Brigades, Akram al-Ajouri.

Islamic Jihad is the largest faction financially and logistically linked to Iran.

Reports differed on whether both men were targeted or only one of them.

Israel’s Channel 12 said the strike targeted al-Ajouri and several of his aides in the Iranian city of Qom, while Channel 14 reported that al-Hindi was also targeted.

According to Channel 14, the attack, which it said took place four days ago, hit Islamic Jihad leaders in a fortified underground location, with dozens of bombs dropped to ensure the site was destroyed and those inside killed.

Islamic Jihad had not commented on the Israeli reports by midday Tuesday and maintained silence.

However, a source familiar with the group told Asharq Al-Awsat that it was “unlikely that al-Hindi was at the site of the attack or in Iran in general.”

The source said al-Hindi’s movements are kept secret due to repeated targeting attempts, adding that, according to the latest confirmed information within the group’s leadership, he had been in another country, not Iran, days earlier.

Several Islamic Jihad sources said al-Hindi’s visits to Tehran had already been limited even before Oct. 7, 2023, and had declined significantly since then.

Who is Mohammad al-Hindi?

For years, al-Hindi, born in 1955, has been on Israel’s wanted list. Israel attempted to assassinate him several times while he was in Gaza, though such attempts declined after he left the enclave in 2014. He has since been based mainly in Türkiye, traveling to other countries.

Al-Hindi was third in the group’s leadership before Ziyad al-Nakhalah became secretary-general in 2018, following the deterioration of the health of his predecessor Ramadan Shallah, who died in 2020.

Following those changes, al-Hindi became the group’s number two. He is known for his close ties to Hamas and played a key role in improving relations between the two movements. He also built important ties with figures in Türkiye and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Al-Hindi is credited with making the group more open over the past decade to relations with other movements and states, including Qatar, given its role in mediations on the Palestinian cause, as well as building ties with Egyptian officials handling the matter.

Before leaving Gaza, he also supported Egyptian intelligence efforts to contain armed clashes between Fatah and Hamas during the 2006 to 2007 split, leveraging his strong ties with both movements.

Who is Akram al-Ajouri?

Al-Ajouri, believed to be in his sixties, is one of the most influential figures in Islamic Jihad, not only operationally, through his role in arming the Al-Quds Brigades in Gaza, but also through his strong ties with leaders of Hezbollah and, previously, with the government of former Syrian president Bashar al-Assad.

Sources in the group say al-Ajouri is of particular importance to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards due to his role in executing missions and planning military operations, including weapons transfers to Gaza and other areas, as well as forming multiple militant cells in the West Bank.

He oversees the group’s military portfolio and has long managed its armed wing, including weapons procurement in Gaza and the West Bank, as well as efforts to build up its military presence in Lebanon and Syria.

He has also pushed fighters in both countries to take part in operations launched from Lebanon and to support Hezbollah since Oct. 8, 2023.

Al-Ajouri has survived several assassination attempts, including two in Syria. He escaped one in 2014, while another in 2019 targeted his home, killing his son and others. At the time, estimates suggested he was in Lebanon, where he also survived at least one assassination attempt.

A source in Islamic Jihad said contact with al-Ajouri had been lost since the start of the US-Israeli war against Iran, while another senior source said al-Ajouri had recently communicated electronically with some levels of the group, possibly through intermediaries, adding that “no one knows his location.”

Sources say al-Ajouri had been preparing to leave Lebanon shortly before the war on Iran, but several Arab and Islamic capitals refused to receive him despite efforts by al-Nakhalah. Some countries rejected him due to legal cases filed against him in local courts, while others declined for security reasons. Sources suggested he may be in Iran.

More than a week ago, Israel killed Adham al-Othman, a close associate of al-Ajouri, in a strike on a Hezbollah safe apartment in Beirut’s southern suburbs.



Report: 4 Dead, 8 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Türkiye

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)
The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)
TT

Report: 4 Dead, 8 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Türkiye

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)
The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)

Four people were killed and another eight wounded when a gunman opened fire near the southern Turkish city of Mersin on Monday, the DHA and IHA news agencies reported.

At least two people were killed when the assailant opened fire at a restaurant, with the two others killed elsewhere and the assailant fleeing in a car, DHA said.

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter that also involved helicopters, it said.

There was no immediate comment from police or other officials.

DHA said the shooter was a 17-year-old armed with a shotgun.

Among those killed in the shooting were the restaurant owner and one of his employees, IHA said, identifying the other two as a young man grazing livestock and a truck driver.

The violence came a month after two shooting attacks by teenagers rocked Türkiye.

In the first incident, 16 people were injured, while the second attack claimed 10 lives, most of them young schoolchildren.


Romanians Stabbed Journalist in London at Behest of Iran, UK Court Told

Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)
Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)
TT

Romanians Stabbed Journalist in London at Behest of Iran, UK Court Told

Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)
Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)

A team of Romanian men, acting as proxies for the Iranian government, carried out a knife attack on a journalist working for a Persian-language media organization in London, prosecutors told a British court on Monday.

Pouria Zaratifoukolaei, known as Pouria Zeraati, a British journalist of Iranian origin who works for Iran International, was stabbed in the leg three times as he was attacked near his home in Wimbledon, southwest London, in March 2024.

At the start of the trial of two of the three men accused of carrying out the stabbing, prosecutor Duncan Atkinson said ‌they had targeted ‌Zeraati, whose TV employer is critical of Iran's government.

'DELIBERATE, PLANNED VIOLENCE'

"This was no robbery, no fight that got out of control, it was deliberate, planned violence to achieve what it did, that is serious injury to its target," Atkinson told London's Woolwich Crown Court.

They had "committed a planned attack preceded by reconnaissance, and which was ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state," the prosecutor said.

Iran has denied any involvement in ⁠the incident.

Nandito Badea, 21, and George Stana, 25, both ‌deny charges of wounding with intent and unlawful ‌wounding. The third man accused of involvement, David Andrei, was arrested in Romania but is not ‌involved in the trial.

Atkinson said Zeraati was an "obvious and readily identifiable target for ‌violence to be inflicted by proxies" acting for Iran. He said posters had been put up in Tehran in November 2022 featuring pictures of journalists including Zeraati, under the heading "Wanted: dead or alive".

"In recent years, since 2005, Iran has turned less to its ‌own operatives and increasingly to use proxies such as criminal gangs to meet their threatened violence on their behalf," Atkinson ⁠said.

"That has included ⁠attacks on persons in this country who have become targets of Iranian intimidation and, effectively, terror."

Atkinson said Zeraati had been subject to "extensive reconnaissance", and a year before Stana had been arrested in the garden of his apartment with another man, in possession of latex gloves, scissors and a mask.

On the day of the attack, Badea and Andrei confronted Zeraati as he crossed the street from his home to his car, the prosecutor said. Andrei held him, while Badea stabbed him at the top of his thigh before they fled to a getaway car driven by Stana, the prosecutor added.

The men, who were motivated by money, dumped the car and some clothing, and then took a taxi to Heathrow Airport from where they flew to Geneva, Atkinson said.

The trial, which is expected to last more than two weeks, continues.


Iran Arrests Over 4,000 on Charges Related to War, Says Rights Group

An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Iran Arrests Over 4,000 on Charges Related to War, Says Rights Group

An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Iranian authorities have made more than 4,000 arrests on charges related to the US-Israeli war against the country in a mass crackdown, a US-based rights group said on Monday.

The Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said it had documented at least 4,023 arrests between February 28, when the war started, and May 9.

Charges included espionage, threats to national security and communicating or sharing content related to the conflict with foreign media, it said.

"Iranian authorities have used the conflict to intensify national security narratives and justify arrests, restrictions on freedom of expression, and violence against civilians," it said.

Meanwhile, Iran's national police chief Ahmad Reza Radan had said Sunday that more than "6,500 traitors and spies" linked with the "enemy" had been arrested since anti-government protests peaked in January.

The authorities described the demonstrations as riots and put them down with a crackdown that left thousands dead, according to rights groups.

"The process of identifying and arresting elements associated with the enemy continues, and the police have not stopped their actions in the field of confronting rioters," Radan said, quoted by the IRNA news agency.

There has also been growing alarm over executions in Iran.

Rights groups have said that since the start of the war, Iran has executed 26 men seen as "political prisoners" -- 14 men charged over January protests, one more over 2022 demonstrations and 11 accused of links to banned opposition groups.

Six men have been hanged by Iran on charges of spying for Israel since the war began, according to reports in Iranian official media.

HRANA said it had also documented at least 3,636 fatalities, including 1,701 civilians, due to US-Israeli attacks on Iran in the war, which is currently on hold with an uneasy ceasefire.