Iran Fires on Israel as Trump Claims Threat from Tehran Nearly Eliminated

Iranian women clad in black chadors wave national flags and hold posters of Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei (C) and of his late father, former Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (R), during the annual Nature Day festival in Tehran, Iran, 02 April 2026. (EPA)
Iranian women clad in black chadors wave national flags and hold posters of Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei (C) and of his late father, former Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (R), during the annual Nature Day festival in Tehran, Iran, 02 April 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iran Fires on Israel as Trump Claims Threat from Tehran Nearly Eliminated

Iranian women clad in black chadors wave national flags and hold posters of Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei (C) and of his late father, former Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (R), during the annual Nature Day festival in Tehran, Iran, 02 April 2026. (EPA)
Iranian women clad in black chadors wave national flags and hold posters of Iranian Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei (C) and of his late father, former Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (R), during the annual Nature Day festival in Tehran, Iran, 02 April 2026. (EPA)

Iran fired more missiles at Israel and Gulf Arab states Thursday, demonstrating Tehran’s continued ability to strike its neighbors even as US President Donald Trump claimed the threat from the country was nearly eliminated.

Iran’s attacks on Gulf states along with its chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz have disrupted the world’s energy supplies with effects far beyond the Middle East. That has proved to be Iran’s greatest strategic advantage in the war. Britain held a call with nearly three dozen countries about how to reopen the strait once the fighting is over.

Trump has insisted the strait can be taken by force — but said it is not up to the US to do that. In an address to the American people Wednesday night, he encouraged countries that depend on oil from Hormuz to “build some delayed courage” and go “take it.”

Before the US and Israel started the war on Feb. 28 with strikes on Iran, the waterway was open to traffic and 20% of all traded oil passed through it.

Iran continues to strike Israel

Iran responded defiantly to Trump’s speech, in which the American president claimed US military action had been so decisive that “one of the most powerful countries” is “really no longer a threat.”

A spokesman for Iran’s military, Lt. Col. Ebrahim Zolfaghari, insisted Thursday that Tehran maintains hidden stockpiles of arms, munitions and production facilities. He said facilities targeted so far by US strikes are “insignificant.”

Just before Trump began his address — in which he said US “core strategic objectives are nearing completion” — explosions were heard in Dubai as air defenses worked to intercept an Iranian missile barrage.

Less than a half-hour after the president was done, Israel said its military was also working to intercept incoming missiles. Sirens sounded in Bahrain immediately after the speech.

Attacks continued across Iran on Thursday, with strikes reported in multiple cities.

Even amid the conflict, families went to a park in Tehran to play games and grill food to mark the last day of Iranian New Year, or Nowruz.

In Lebanon — home to Iran-backed Hezbollah who is fighting Israel, which has launched a ground invasion — an Israeli strike killed four people in the south, the Health Ministry said.

More than 1,900 people have been killed in Iran during the war, while 19 have been reported dead in Israel. More than two dozen people have died in Gulf states and the occupied West Bank, while 13 US service members have been killed.

More than 1,300 people have been killed and more than 1 million displaced in Lebanon. Ten Israeli soldiers have also died there.

Nearly three dozen nations talk about securing the Strait of Hormuz

Iranian attacks on about two dozen commercial ships, and the threat of more, have halted nearly all traffic in the waterway that connects the Gulf to the open ocean.

Since March 1, traffic through the strait has dropped 94% over the same period last year, according to the Lloyds List Intelligence shipping data firm. Two ships are confirmed to have paid a fee, the firm said, while others were allowed through based on agreements with their home governments.

Saudi Arabia piped about 1 billion barrels of oil away from the Strait of Hormuz in March, according to maritime data firm Kpler, while Iraq said Thursday that it had started to truck oil across Syria to avoid the strait.

The 35 countries that spoke Thursday, including all G7 countries except the US, as well as the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, signed a declaration last month demanding Iran stop blocking the strait.

Thursday’s talks were focused on political and diplomatic measures, but British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper said military planners from an unspecified number of countries will also plot ways to ensure security once fighting ends, including potential mine-clearing work and “reassurance” for commercial shipping.

No country appears willing to try to open the strait by force while the war is raging. French President Emmanuel Macron, while on a visit to South Korea, called a military operation to secure the waterway “unrealistic.”

But there is a concern that Iran might limit traffic through the waterway even after US and Israeli attacks cease.

The idea of an international effort has echoes of the “coalition of the willing,” led by the UK and France, that was assembled to underpin Ukraine’s security in the event of a ceasefire in that war. The coalition is, in part, an attempt to demonstrate to Washington that Europe is doing more for its own security in the face of frequent criticism from Trump.

Oil prices rise again

The conflict is driving up prices for oil and natural gas, roiling stock markets, pushing up the cost of gasoline and threatening to make a range of goods, including food, more expensive.

On Thursday, Brent crude, the international standard, rose again and was around $108, up about 50% from Feb. 28.

Though the oil and gas that typically transits the strait is primarily sold to Asian nations, Japan and South Korea were the only two countries from the region joining Thursday's call about the strait. The supply of jet fuel has also been interrupted, with consequences for travel worldwide.



EU Denounces New US Waiver of Russian Oil Sanctions

European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

EU Denounces New US Waiver of Russian Oil Sanctions

European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The European Union criticized Tuesday the latest US waiver of sanctions on Russian oil, announced while G7 finance ministers were meeting to reach a common response to multiple economic challenges.

Washington's move aims to help lower energy prices that have skyrocketed since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in February, effectively shutting the Strait of Hormuz to Gulf oil tanker traffic.

But EU economics commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis denounced the extensions, which have given Moscow a financial boost as it pursues its war against Ukraine.

"From the EU point of view, we do not think that this is a time to ease pressure on Russia," Dombrovskis told journalists while arriving for a second day of G7 talks in Paris.

"In fact, Russia is the one which is gaining from the war in Iran and the increase in fossil fuel prices," he said. "If anything, we would need to strengthen the pressure."

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is in Paris for the Group of Seven talks hosted by France, which currently chairs the group's rotating presidency.

"Secretary Bessent was reassuring us that this is a temporary measure, but we know that it's already a second extension of the measure which initially was meant to last only 30 days," Dombrovskis said.

French Finance Minister Roland Lescure said a joint statement would nonetheless be made following talks that are to wind up Tuesday.

"We've had extremely frank discussions between people who do not necessarily agree on everything, but who are able to talk about everything," he told journalists.

The talks aim to keep dialogue open as trade feuds spurred by US President Donald Trump's tariff blitz compound geopolitical tensions.


Türkiye Arrests 110 on Suspicion of ISIS Ties

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
TT

Türkiye Arrests 110 on Suspicion of ISIS Ties

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)

Turkish counter-terror police on Tuesday arrested 110 people on suspicion of activities in support of the ISIS group in an operation largely targeting Istanbul, the Anadolu state news agency said.

The suspects are accused of organizing classes in illegal associations, educating young children with ISIS ideology, collecting money for the group and seeking to recruit new ISIS members, in an operation coordinated by the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office.

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul, with police seizing four rifles and 90 cartridges along with documents and digital materials.

Last week, police arrested another 324 people in raids targeting ISIS suspects across 47 provinces, the interior ministry said.

On April 7, a gunman was killed and two others were wounded in a shootout outside the Israeli consulate in Istanbul.

Interior Minister Mustafa Ciftci said one of them was linked to an "organization that exploits religion", which Turkish media reported was ISIS.

At the end of December, ISIS militants opened fire on police in the northwestern town of Yalova, killing three officers and wounding nine others.

Six ISIS militants were also killed in the hours-long gun battle that followed, with Türkiye rounding up more than 600 suspected members of the group in the following weeks.


WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
TT

WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)

The World Health Organization chief voiced concern on Tuesday about the "scale and speed" of an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has killed an estimated 131 people. 

The WHO has declared the surge of the highly contagious hemorrhagic fever an international health emergency and will hold an emergency meeting on the crisis on Tuesday. 

No vaccine or therapeutic treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola responsible for the latest outbreak of the disease, which has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa in the past half century. 

With the new outbreak largely concentrated in difficult-to-access areas, few samples have been laboratory-tested and figures are based mostly on suspected cases. 

"We have recorded roughly 131 deaths in total and we have around 513 suspected cases," Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said on national television early Tuesday. 

"The deaths we are reporting are all the deaths we have identified in the community, without necessarily saying that they are all linked to Ebola," he added. 

The previous figures from the outbreak, declared late last week in the country's east, gave a total of 91 dead out of 350 suspected cases. 

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the decision to declare the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations was not taken "lightly". 

"I'm deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic," he told the World Health Assembly in Geneva on Tuesday. 

The outbreak's epicenter is in northeastern Ituri province on the border with Uganda and South Sudan. 

As a gold-mining hub, it sees people regularly crisscrossing the region and has been plagued by clashes between local militias for years. 

The virus has already spread into neighboring provinces, as well as beyond the DRC's borders. 

- 'Mystical illness' - 

Suspected cases have been reported in the commercial hub of Butembo in neighboring North Kivu province, some 200 kilometers (125 miles) away from the epidemic's ground zero, Kamba said, without giving further details. 

Another case has been recorded in Goma, North Kivu's key provincial capital currently under the control of the Rwanda-backed M23 anti-governmental armed group. 

"Unfortunately, the alert was slow to circulate within the community, because people thought it was a mystical illness, and so, as a result, the sick were not taken to the hospital," Kamba said. 

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has declared the outbreak a continental public health emergency. 

The step enables the Africa CDC, based in Ethiopia, to mobilize extra resources including emergency response teams and surveillance operations. 

Tedros said that 30 cases had been confirmed to be Ebola in Ituri province. 

"Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC," he told the annual meeting of the health agency's decision-taking body. 

A US citizen has tested positive for the virus following exposure related "to their work" in the DRC, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. 

The patient is due to arrive in Germany for treatment, the German health ministry said on Tuesday. 

The United States has announced it was bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air passengers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services. 

It is attempting to evacuate six additional people to monitor their health, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Monday. 

First identified in 1976 and believed to have originated in bats, Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure. 

The outbreak is the 17th in the central African country of more than 100 million people. 

The deadliest Ebola outbreak in the DRC claimed nearly 2,300 lives out of 3,500 cases between 2018 and 2020. 

The previous outbreak before the current one killed 45 people between September and December last year, the WHO said.