Iran War Means More Orders for US Defense Giants

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - APRIL 21: Under Secretary of War Jules Hurst III (C) and Director of Force Structures Lt. Gen. Steven Whitney (R) hold a press briefing to discuss the Department of War's FY27 budget request at the Pentagon on April 21, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images/AFP
ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - APRIL 21: Under Secretary of War Jules Hurst III (C) and Director of Force Structures Lt. Gen. Steven Whitney (R) hold a press briefing to discuss the Department of War's FY27 budget request at the Pentagon on April 21, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images/AFP
TT

Iran War Means More Orders for US Defense Giants

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - APRIL 21: Under Secretary of War Jules Hurst III (C) and Director of Force Structures Lt. Gen. Steven Whitney (R) hold a press briefing to discuss the Department of War's FY27 budget request at the Pentagon on April 21, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images/AFP
ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA - APRIL 21: Under Secretary of War Jules Hurst III (C) and Director of Force Structures Lt. Gen. Steven Whitney (R) hold a press briefing to discuss the Department of War's FY27 budget request at the Pentagon on April 21, 2026 in Arlington, Virginia. Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images/AFP

US defense companies are reporting a surge in demand for military equipment, as the war in the Middle East prompts fresh orders from governments around the world.

Earnings Tuesday signaled that 2026 will be another strong year after a robust 2025 in the wake of continuing conflicts in Gaza and Ukraine, Russian incursions into European airspace, Chinese maneuverings towards Taiwan and Red Sea tensions.

More governments are ordering military equipment amid rising geopolitical strife. For those who are already in conflict, there is a need to spend more to replenish stocks or maintain machinery.

US defense companies RTX, Northrop Grumman and GE Aerospace all reported increased orders in the first quarter, AFP said.

While hoping for a "sustained resolution" to the Middle East conflict, RTX CEO Chris Calio told a Wall Street analyst call the company was working with the Pentagon "to accelerate munitions production."

US officials have announced new agreements in recent months to increase production of the Tomahawk, Patriot and GEM-T missiles, among other weapons systems.

RTX unit Raytheon previously announced five "landmark" Pentagon agreements that Calio described as "vitally important for national security."

The company has already invested nearly $900 million to expand capacity.

"The current landscape clearly underscores the need for munitions, depth, integrated air and missile defense technology and more advanced capabilities to counter evolving threats," Calio said.

"We're seeing really, really strong demand, both domestically and internationally," he added as the company raised several full-year financial projections.

Similarly, GE Aerospace described its first quarter as "strong," with revenues jumping 25 percent in light of what Chief Executive Larry Culp described as a "dynamic geopolitical landscape."

Culp said on a conference call the company expects the Middle East war and its effects to persist through the summer.

In its defense programs, GE Aerospace continues "to execute with speed against high-priority military needs in support of US and allied warfighters," Culp added.

But the company, which builds engines for Boeing and Airbus, also suffered some ill-effects from the war. Cutbacks in travel in the Middle East hit the company's maintenance business.

At Northrop Grumman, the objective is also to deliver as quickly as possible on orders for weapons systems.

The company has added 20 new manufacturing facilities in the United States over the last two years, according to CEO Kathy Warden.

"Clearly the conflict with Iran has created a heightened sense of urgency," she said.

Calio of RTX said the recent contracts with the Pentagon "will give the kind of long-term visibility that the supply chain will need to invest, which is critically important."

US undersecretary of defense Jules Hurst said President Donald Trump's fiscal 2027 budget requested $1.5 trillion, describing the demand as a "generational investment in the United States military, the arsenal of freedom," he said at a Pentagon briefing.

"This 42 percent increase will supercharge our defense industrial base by expanding production of major weapon systems while strengthening supply chains and supporting tens of thousands of small- and medium-sized businesses," Hurst said.

Boeing, which also has a defense business, will report earnings Wednesday, while Lockheed Martin is set to release results on Thursday.



Torrential Rain and Floods Batter China, Killing at Least 12 and Forcing Mass Evacuations

Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)
Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)
TT

Torrential Rain and Floods Batter China, Killing at Least 12 and Forcing Mass Evacuations

Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)
Cars partially submerged in floodwaters after heavy rainfall in Duyun, Guizhou Province, China, May 19, 2026, in this still image obtained from a social media video. (Social Media/via Reuters)

Torrential rain and floods hit parts of China this week, killing at least 12 people and forcing tens of thousands of people to evacuate, state media reported.

State broadcaster CCTV reported on Wednesday five deaths and 11 people missing in Shimen County of Hunan province in central China after rain battered the region. A rescue operation is underway. By Tuesday evening, more than 19,000 had been relocated, Chinese official news agency Xinhua reported.

Xinhua said the county recorded a cumulative rainfall of 339 millimeters (about 13 inches) within a 24-hour period ending at 7 a.m. on Monday. One of its towns once received a rainfall of 240 millimeters (about 9 inches) within just a few hours, breaking historical records, it said.

In nearby Hubei province, some streets were turned into rivers and rescuers had to deploy inflatable boats to help stranded residents. Some houses were flooded or collapsed, Xinhua reported. Three people were killed and four others were missing as of Tuesday morning, it said.

CCTV on Tuesday also reported that heavy rain and floods have caused four deaths and left five others missing in Guizhou Province in southwestern China. In some areas, houses flooded, roads were damaged, and communications were disrupted, it said. One area had to relocate more than 3,700 people, Xinhua added.

Flood-induced casualties are common in China. Last July, rains and flooding killed dozens of people in Beijing.

Separately, 10 people were killed after a pickup truck fell off a bridge in the southern region of Guangxi on Saturday, Xinhua reported.


Ebola, Hantavirus Show World’s Risk Preparedness Lagging, Says Pandemic Expert

A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Ebola, Hantavirus Show World’s Risk Preparedness Lagging, Says Pandemic Expert

A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
A health worker monitors visitors arriving at the Rodolphe Merieux Laboratory, National Biomedical Research Institute (INRB) in Goma, on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The deadly hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks show that while the response to declared public health crises has improved, awareness of pandemic risks still lags, a leading pandemic expert warned Tuesday.

Over six years after the World Health Organization declared the Covid-19 pandemic, global efforts to revamp public health crisis response have improved the reaction to the hantavirus and Ebola outbreaks, said Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister and the co-chair of the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response.

"The new international health regulations are working," she told AFP in an interview in Geneva.

As soon as the alert was sounded last Friday over the new Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and once the world learned a few weeks ago of the rare hantavirus outbreak on the MV Hondius cruise ship in the Atlantic, "the response has gone quite well", she said.

"Our issue is now really upstream from that," she said, insisting that far more work needed to go into identifying risks and how "these outbreaks get away".

"I think we need a lot more knowledge around risk-informed preparedness," she said, urging more focus on knowing your risk and "what could crop up", and "be ready to deal with that".

"Those basic issues of surveillance, early detection... We're not there yet."

Clark said the hantavirus species behind the cruise ship outbreak that triggered a global health scare after three people died was known to be endemic in the area of Argentina where the ship departed from.

"But we're not clear how much was known about that by ships who depart regularly from there," she said.

Meanwhile, the outbreak of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola believed to have killed more than 130 people in a remote province of DRC seems to have spread under the radar for weeks, with tests focused on another strain showing up negative.

"How could this have gone for four to six weeks, ... spreading while not getting the testing results that we needed to show that it was a particular variant?" Clark asked.

She called for thorough investigation of "the chain of events here, and what we can learn from it, and what it says about the capacities we need".

- 'Perfect storm' -

Clark highlighted that the Ebola outbreak especially had laid bare the dire impact dramatic global aid cuts had on disease prevention efforts.

"There's a perfect storm," she warned, pointing to how countries had been "very suddenly expected to make up a lot of investment in the health system which previously came from donors".

"With the best will in the world, the poorest and most fragile countries just haven't got money sitting in the bank to do that, so things will get neglected across a range of areas."

Clark insisted that "global solidarity remains extremely important".

"We're talking global public goods," she stressed, pointing to a confirmed Ebola case in a US national and how hantavirus had "popped up in places where people (disembarked) from the ship".

"We're in this together, and so we have to look to ways of financing preparedness or response which reflect our shared interests."


Xi and Putin Meet to Reaffirm China-Russia Ties Days After Trump’s Visit to Beijing

 Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Xi and Putin Meet to Reaffirm China-Russia Ties Days After Trump’s Visit to Beijing

 Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for a picture during a meeting at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China May 20, 2026. (Sputnik/Maxim Stulov/Pool via Reuters)

Chinese leader Xi Jinping welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin in Beijing on Wednesday in a meeting meant to reaffirm ties and that takes place only days after a visit by US President Donald Trump to China.

Xi welcomed Putin with a ceremony at the Great Hall of the People. The two delegations later held bilateral talks, to be followed by a ceremony for signing cooperation agreements.

Putin’s visit comes just days after Trump’s own trip to Beijing – in a sequence that is meant to cement Beijing’s image as an influential superpower, experts say.

“The message is clearly one that China maintains friendship and strategic partnership with whichever power it likes, and the USA is just one of them,” said Steve Tsang, director of the SOAS China Institute at the University of London.

Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov said earlier that there was “no connection” between Trump and Putin’s visits, noting the trip by the Russian leader was agreed several days after Putin and Xi spoke via videoconference on Feb. 4.

The Russian and Chinese leaders are set to discuss energy and security as well as their overall ties. The two sides agreed to extend a friendship treaty first signed in 2001, Chinese state media reported.

China became Russia's top trading partner following after Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Beijing has said it is neutral in the conflict while maintaining trade ties with the Kremlin despite economic and financial sanctions by the US and Europe.

China is the top customer for Russian oil and gas supplies, and Moscow expects the war in Iran to increase the demand. China also has ignored demands from the West to stop providing high-tech components for Russia’s weapons industries.

Ushakov said Russia’s oil exports to China grew by 35% in the first quarter of 2026 and that Russia is one of the biggest exporters of natural gas to China.

During “the crisis in the Middle East,” Russia remains a reliable energy supplier and China is a “responsible consumer,” Ushakov said.

Putin noted earlier this month that Moscow and Beijing have reached “a very substantial step forward in our cooperation in the oil and gas sector.”

“Practically all the key issues have been agreed upon,” he said. “If we succeed in finalizing these details and bringing them to a conclusion during this visit, I will be extremely pleased.”

Putin also praised their bilateral relationship as a crucial, balancing force in international relations.

“Interaction between such nations as China and Russia undoubtedly serves as a factor of deterrence and stability,” he said.

Moscow welcomes China’s dialogue with the US as another stabilizing element for the global economy, Putin added.

“We stand only to benefit from this, from the stability and constructive engagement between the US and China,” he said.