US, Philippines Deploy Anti-Ship Missile System in Batanes Near Taiwan for War Games

 A vehicle used for the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS), stands during joint Philippine-US military exercises in Basco, Batanes province, Philippines, May 2, 2026. (Reuters)
A vehicle used for the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS), stands during joint Philippine-US military exercises in Basco, Batanes province, Philippines, May 2, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

US, Philippines Deploy Anti-Ship Missile System in Batanes Near Taiwan for War Games

 A vehicle used for the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS), stands during joint Philippine-US military exercises in Basco, Batanes province, Philippines, May 2, 2026. (Reuters)
A vehicle used for the Navy-Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System (NMESIS), stands during joint Philippine-US military exercises in Basco, Batanes province, Philippines, May 2, 2026. (Reuters)

Philippine and US forces on Saturday showcased the NMESIS anti-ship missile system in Batanes province, near Taiwan, during annual war games, as tensions simmer over the self-governed island that China views as its own territory.

The Philippines' northernmost province, with about 20,000 residents, sits around 100 miles south of Taiwan, along the Luzon Strait, a strategic corridor on the frontline of the great power competition between the US and China for dominance in the Asia-Pacific region.

"Training out here in Batanes allows us a different environment than what we're normally allowed to operate in," said US Staff Sergeant Darren Gibbs.

"So it gives us unique opportunities to actually utilize the system and train within our capabilities, and it offers experiences we don't normally get offered in our day-to-day training."

Gibbs said the NMESIS is designed for remote operation, and that "the purpose of this system is for it to be ‌fully autonomous, for us ‌not to require a driver or passenger inside the vehicle itself."

"We will tell it ‌where ⁠to go and ⁠then we program what it needs to do," he said.

The NMESIS, a highly mobile coastal anti-ship missile system designed to target surface vessels from land-based positions at ranges of about 185 km (115 miles), was flown into Batanes on a US C-130 transport aircraft, and positioned in the capital Basco, which has one of the island province's two small runways.

Francisco Lorenzo, Philippine exercise director, told Reuters that deployment of US weapons such as the NMESIS to Batanes was part of efforts to test operational feasibility in remote locations. The NMESIS was also deployed to Batanes in last year's war games.

"It is part of training so ⁠as to test the feasibility or rehearse their deployment there when need arises," Lorenzo ‌said. One of the objectives of the Balikatan, as the annual "shoulder-to-shoulder" drills ‌of US and Philippine forces are called, is to practice "defense of our territory with our allies", he said.

The NMESIS would not ‌be used in live exercise operations and was brought to Batanes only for deployment rehearsal and simulation support during ‌the war games.

He said the system would be withdrawn from Batanes once the drills were finished. The US also deployed its Typhon missile system to the Philippines in 2024 for use in joint exercises.

Beijing routinely criticizes the deployment of US weapons in the Philippines, saying it heightens regional tension.

Security analyst Chester Cabalza, founder and president of the Manila-based think tank International Development and Security Cooperation, told ‌Reuters "the NMESIS can spark a powder keg for Beijing and asymmetric deterrence for Manila and Taipei in the Bashi Channel along the Luzon Strait."

The system can be ⁠airlifted and deployed to ⁠any coastline in the Philippine archipelago within hours, Cabalza said, and its placement in Batanes is likely viewed by Beijing as part of the "US-led encirclement" of China.

WAR GAMES INVOLVE 17,000 TROOPS

Philippine and US forces also carried out maritime strike drills in Itbayat, a Batanes municipality about 155 km from Taiwan and the northernmost part of the country.

More than 17,000 troops are taking part in this year's war games, including about 10,000 from the US, even as Washington remains heavily engaged in the Middle East.

China recently intensified its activities in the South China Sea and the Taiwan Strait, increasing its naval presence around Taiwan and sending an aircraft carrier through the strait. It also put up a barrier this month at the mouth of the Scarborough Shoal, according to satellite images reviewed by Reuters.

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has said Filipinos working and living in Taiwan would have to be evacuated in the event of war over the self-governed island and that would "drag the Philippines kicking and screaming into the conflict."

Philippine Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said in an April 28 interview with Reuters that Manila has a contingency plan to evacuate Filipinos in Taiwan if conflict erupts but gave no further details.



Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
TT

Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)

Rescuers searched on Sunday for 22 people missing after a merchant vessel sank off India's eastern coast, the navy said.

The Panama-flagged bulk carrier MV Ocean Winner was headed to Singapore from Paradip port in India's Odisha state, according to MarineTraffic.

The vessel sent a distress alert about 700 kilometers (435 miles) east of Visakhapatnam, the navy said, prompting a joint rescue operation with the Indian coast guard.

Two of the 24 crew members were rescued, it said, adding that a navy patrol aircraft had been redeployed to surveil the area.

The coast guard also deployed three vessels, Indian broadcaster NDTV reported, according to AFP.

"The aircraft located life rafts in the area", and coordinated with a nearby vessel, MT Aisopos, to collect two of the crew from liferafts, the navy said.

Twenty crew members were Chinese, three were from Myanmar and one was Bangladeshi, the Press Trust of India news agency reported, citing coast guard sources.

The nationalities of the two rescued crew members were not immediately clear.


Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The top diplomats for Egypt and Iran discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to settle the war, Egypt's foreign ministry said on Saturday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty also discussed the Iranian-Omani talks on the management of the Strait of Hormuz, the ministry said.

Araghchi briefed Egypt's foreign minister about “Iran’s view of ongoing developments, the course of negotiations and their challenges,” the ministry said, without elaborating.

There was no immediate statement from Araghchi.


Putin Says Ukraine Opened ‘Pandora’s Box’ with Strikes on Economic Targets

 Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
TT

Putin Says Ukraine Opened ‘Pandora’s Box’ with Strikes on Economic Targets

 Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)
Russian President Vladimir Putin gives an interview to journalist Pavel Zarubin in Moscow, Russia, August 22, 2026. (Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via Reuters)

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in comments published on Saturday that Kyiv had opened "Pandora's box" with its strikes on Russian economic targets, saying that Russia would hit back at Ukraine's "most sensitive economic sectors".

Ukraine has this summer escalated a campaign of drone strikes targeting Russian economic infrastructure, including oil refineries and online retailers' warehouses, seeking to ‌destroy infrastructure it ‌says is central to Russia's ‌war ⁠effort.

Russia has responded ⁠with strikes against Ukrainian economic infrastructure, including Ukrainian grain exports via the Black Sea.

"The Kyiv regime set out to damage our economy. What did it do? It opened this Pandora’s box itself. Well then, expect a response targeting your ⁠most sensitive economic sectors," Putin said ‌in comments to ‌a Russian state television journalist.

He said that the strikes, ‌which have jeopardized Ukraine's agricultural exports, would ‌not cause global food shortages, because Russia would be able to replace Ukrainian exports, even as Kyiv has targeted Russian grain export infrastructure.

"We do face ‌challenges regarding the shipment of our goods, but we will resolve these issues. ⁠Consequently, ⁠there will be no shortage on the global market," Putin said.

Russia and Ukraine had previously adhered to a Turkish-brokered deal to protect grain exports on the Black Sea. But Russia exited the deal in 2023.

The Russian leader also restated his position that Moscow is open to peace talks, but only on the basis of "realities on the ground", rather than what he called "exotic" proposals that he said had been made by Ukraine via intermediaries.