Hantavirus-Hit Cruise Ship Ends Deadly Voyage

The MV Hondius sparked global alarm after the outbreak of hantavirus. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP
The MV Hondius sparked global alarm after the outbreak of hantavirus. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP
TT

Hantavirus-Hit Cruise Ship Ends Deadly Voyage

The MV Hondius sparked global alarm after the outbreak of hantavirus. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP
The MV Hondius sparked global alarm after the outbreak of hantavirus. JORGE GUERRERO / AFP

A cruise ship that sparked global alarm after a deadly outbreak of hantavirus ended its voyage by docking in Rotterdam harbor Monday, with the skeleton crew facing weeks of quarantine. 

Twenty-five crew and two medical staff had been left on board, some of whom could be seen wearing blue hard hats and white face masks as the ship made its final approach into port for disembarkation and disinfection. 

A first group disembarked hours later, dressed in white hazmat gowns and clutching bags and boxes of belongings. 

The ship, operated by Dutch company Oceanwide Expeditions, made headlines after three passengers died from hantavirus -- a rare virus for which no vaccines nor specific treatments exist. 

The World Health Organization has scrambled to reassure the world that the outbreak was not a repeat of the Covid pandemic, stressing that contagion was very rare. 

However, the virus has an incubation period of several weeks, meaning more cases from the ship's occupants could emerge in the future, the WHO has warned. 

Hantavirus has been confirmed in seven patients, with one other probable case, according to an AFP tally from official sources. 

The most recent positive test came from Canada in a patient who was on the Hondius, officials said late Sunday. 

- Hospitalizations - 

After arriving in the Canary Islands on May 10, more than 120 passengers and crew were evacuated from the ship, either to their home countries or to the Netherlands, which has a special responsibility as the ship is Dutch-flagged. 

A 65-year-old French woman became symptomatic on the repatriation flight and ended up in critical condition in a Paris hospital with a confirmed case of hantavirus. 

Two people, one Dutch and one British, were also urgently evacuated from the ship to the Netherlands and rushed to hospital. 

Both are in stable condition and the Briton is well enough to return home for self-isolation, according to Dutch officials. 

All others evacuated to the Netherlands from the ship have tested negative for the virus. Some are in quarantine in the Netherlands, others have already flown home. 

Everyone still on board is asymptomatic, according to Oceanwide Expeditions, and being closely monitored by two medics on board. 

Late Sunday, the WHO said it was maintaining its assessment of the hantavirus outbreak as "low risk". 

- Andes strain - 

The people disembarking on Monday comprise 17 from the Philippines, four from the Netherlands (two crew and the two medical staff), four from Ukraine, one from Russia and one from Poland. 

Some of them will stay in quarantine facilities at the port, while others will self-isolate at home. 

Those in quarantine in Rotterdam will be housed in mobile homes near the port, local health official Yvonne van Duijnhoven told AFP. 

They will be tested for the hantavirus but also receive mental health treatment if needed. 

"We are really going to monitor that, because it's really impactful what they already have experienced in the past few weeks," she said. 

Also on board is the body of a German woman who died during the voyage. She will be cremated in the Netherlands in line with the family's wishes, said van Duijnhoven. 

After docking, the ship will undergo days of cleaning and disinfection procedures. 

The MV Hondius's voyage began on April 1 in Ushuaia, Argentina, taking in remote islands in the South Atlantic Ocean before steaming north to Cape Verde. 

The trip was supposed to finish there, but the ship eventually sailed to Tenerife in the Canary Islands for the evacuations by plane. 

The MV Hondius presented diplomatic challenges as different countries negotiated over who would receive it and treat its passengers. 

Cape Verde refused to take the ship, which remained anchored offshore of the capital Praia as three people were evacuated to Europe by air. 

Spain allowed the vessel to anchor off its Canary Islands for the evacuation of passengers and crew but the Atlantic archipelago's regional government fiercely opposed the measure. 

Hantavirus spreads from the urine, feces and saliva of infected rodents and is endemic in Argentina, where the voyage began. 

Those infected have the Andes virus -- the only strain of hantavirus that can spread between people. 

Kiki Hirschfeldt, a spokeswoman for the operator, said it was too early to say what impact the outbreak could have on the appetite for cruises. 

"I mean, for as far as we know right now, the virus was brought on board and that can happen in a hotel, in an airplane, in a boat," she told AFP. 



Report: 4 Dead, 8 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Türkiye

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)
The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)
TT

Report: 4 Dead, 8 Hurt as Gunman Opens Fire in Southern Türkiye

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)
The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter. (Reuters file)

Four people were killed and another eight wounded when a gunman opened fire near the southern Turkish city of Mersin on Monday, the DHA and IHA news agencies reported.

At least two people were killed when the assailant opened fire at a restaurant, with the two others killed elsewhere and the assailant fleeing in a car, DHA said.

The shooting occurred near Tarsus, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) northeast of Mersin, prompting a widespread police manhunt to locate the shooter that also involved helicopters, it said.

There was no immediate comment from police or other officials.

DHA said the shooter was a 17-year-old armed with a shotgun.

Among those killed in the shooting were the restaurant owner and one of his employees, IHA said, identifying the other two as a young man grazing livestock and a truck driver.

The violence came a month after two shooting attacks by teenagers rocked Türkiye.

In the first incident, 16 people were injured, while the second attack claimed 10 lives, most of them young schoolchildren.


Romanians Stabbed Journalist in London at Behest of Iran, UK Court Told

Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)
Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)
TT

Romanians Stabbed Journalist in London at Behest of Iran, UK Court Told

Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)
Nandito Badea and George Stana, two Romanian men accused of stabbing the Iran International journalist Pouria Zeraati near his home in Wimbledon in March 2024, appear at Woolwich Crown Court in London, Britain, May 18, 2026, in a courtroom sketch. (Reuters)

A team of Romanian men, acting as proxies for the Iranian government, carried out a knife attack on a journalist working for a Persian-language media organization in London, prosecutors told a British court on Monday.

Pouria Zaratifoukolaei, known as Pouria Zeraati, a British journalist of Iranian origin who works for Iran International, was stabbed in the leg three times as he was attacked near his home in Wimbledon, southwest London, in March 2024.

At the start of the trial of two of the three men accused of carrying out the stabbing, prosecutor Duncan Atkinson said ‌they had targeted ‌Zeraati, whose TV employer is critical of Iran's government.

'DELIBERATE, PLANNED VIOLENCE'

"This was no robbery, no fight that got out of control, it was deliberate, planned violence to achieve what it did, that is serious injury to its target," Atkinson told London's Woolwich Crown Court.

They had "committed a planned attack preceded by reconnaissance, and which was ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state," the prosecutor said.

Iran has denied any involvement in ⁠the incident.

Nandito Badea, 21, and George Stana, 25, both ‌deny charges of wounding with intent and unlawful ‌wounding. The third man accused of involvement, David Andrei, was arrested in Romania but is not ‌involved in the trial.

Atkinson said Zeraati was an "obvious and readily identifiable target for ‌violence to be inflicted by proxies" acting for Iran. He said posters had been put up in Tehran in November 2022 featuring pictures of journalists including Zeraati, under the heading "Wanted: dead or alive".

"In recent years, since 2005, Iran has turned less to its ‌own operatives and increasingly to use proxies such as criminal gangs to meet their threatened violence on their behalf," Atkinson ⁠said.

"That has included ⁠attacks on persons in this country who have become targets of Iranian intimidation and, effectively, terror."

Atkinson said Zeraati had been subject to "extensive reconnaissance", and a year before Stana had been arrested in the garden of his apartment with another man, in possession of latex gloves, scissors and a mask.

On the day of the attack, Badea and Andrei confronted Zeraati as he crossed the street from his home to his car, the prosecutor said. Andrei held him, while Badea stabbed him at the top of his thigh before they fled to a getaway car driven by Stana, the prosecutor added.

The men, who were motivated by money, dumped the car and some clothing, and then took a taxi to Heathrow Airport from where they flew to Geneva, Atkinson said.

The trial, which is expected to last more than two weeks, continues.


Iran Arrests Over 4,000 on Charges Related to War, Says Rights Group

An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Iran Arrests Over 4,000 on Charges Related to War, Says Rights Group

An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
An Iranian woman walks next to an anti-Israeli mural on a street in Tehran, Iran, May 18, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Iranian authorities have made more than 4,000 arrests on charges related to the US-Israeli war against the country in a mass crackdown, a US-based rights group said on Monday.

The Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said it had documented at least 4,023 arrests between February 28, when the war started, and May 9.

Charges included espionage, threats to national security and communicating or sharing content related to the conflict with foreign media, it said.

"Iranian authorities have used the conflict to intensify national security narratives and justify arrests, restrictions on freedom of expression, and violence against civilians," it said.

Meanwhile, Iran's national police chief Ahmad Reza Radan had said Sunday that more than "6,500 traitors and spies" linked with the "enemy" had been arrested since anti-government protests peaked in January.

The authorities described the demonstrations as riots and put them down with a crackdown that left thousands dead, according to rights groups.

"The process of identifying and arresting elements associated with the enemy continues, and the police have not stopped their actions in the field of confronting rioters," Radan said, quoted by the IRNA news agency.

There has also been growing alarm over executions in Iran.

Rights groups have said that since the start of the war, Iran has executed 26 men seen as "political prisoners" -- 14 men charged over January protests, one more over 2022 demonstrations and 11 accused of links to banned opposition groups.

Six men have been hanged by Iran on charges of spying for Israel since the war began, according to reports in Iranian official media.

HRANA said it had also documented at least 3,636 fatalities, including 1,701 civilians, due to US-Israeli attacks on Iran in the war, which is currently on hold with an uneasy ceasefire.