Iran Announces New Authority to ‘Manage’ Strait of Hormuz

People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
TT

Iran Announces New Authority to ‘Manage’ Strait of Hormuz

People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters
People walk past a billboard about the Strait of Hormuz, in Tehran, Iran, May 17, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via Reuters

Iran on Monday announced the formation of a new body that it said would “manage” the Strait of Hormuz, which Tehran has effectively closed and wants to charge ships to traverse.

It was not immediately clear what the new body would do, but the move comes as part of an Iranian effort to manage ship transits through the waterway and collect passage fees, while the United States has imposed its own maritime blockade on Iranian ports.

Iran has largely blocked shipping through the vital strait since the outbreak of war with the US and Israel on February 28. The international community agrees that navigation in the strait should return to its pre-war status.

On Monday, Iran's Supreme National Security Council announced the launch of an official X account for the authority, saying it would provide “real-time updates on the #Hormuz_Strait operations and latest developments,” reported AFP.

The account of the Revolutionary Guards navy shared the same post.

The IRGC's navy plays a key role in enforcing Iranian restrictions on all ships transiting the strait while it is accused of attacking commercial ships and intercepting other vessels entering Iranian waters.

It was not immediately clear what the new body would do but according to Lyod List, it is responsible for granting permission to ships transiting the strait and collecting tolls.

Sources told the journal that ships hoping to use the pre-approved route are expected to have communicated extensive details regarding both the ownership of the vessel and destination of the cargo to the IRGC in advance of the transit.

Earlier this month, Iranian English-speaking broadcaster Press TV said the body constituted a “system to exercise sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz” and that ships passing through the strait were sent “regulations” through an email.

On Sunday, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian parliament's national security commission, said Iran “has prepared a professional mechanism to manage traffic” through the strait, adding that it will be “unveiled soon.”

Earlier, the Iranian parliament had sought to pass a law to collect tolls for ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz, declaring the regulation of maritime passage as a core element of national sovereignty.

Since the war began, Iran has repeatedly said that maritime traffic through the strait would “not return to its pre-war status” and last month it said it had received the first revenue from tolls on the waterway.

Tehran has linked the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz to the lifting of the US naval blockade on Iranian ports, demanding recognition of its “sovereignty” over the waterway that connects the Arabian Gulf to the Gulf of Oman.

Washington has repeatedly stressed the principle of freedom of navigation in international waters and actively opposing unilateral maritime tolls or blockades.

The US Central Command said it continues to strictly enforce the US blockade against Iranian ports, with American forces redirecting tens of commercial vessels and disabling several ships.

On Monday, CENTCOM said that until May 18, the military has redirected 84 commercial vessels and has disabled four other vessels amid the ongoing US blockade on Iranian ports.



Ebola Cases in Congo Exceed 5,000

People wearing protective clothing prepare for the burial of a man at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE
People wearing protective clothing prepare for the burial of a man at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE
TT

Ebola Cases in Congo Exceed 5,000

People wearing protective clothing prepare for the burial of a man at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE
People wearing protective clothing prepare for the burial of a man at Nyamurongo Cemetery in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 18 August 2026. EPA/DIEUDONNE DIROLE

The number of confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo now exceeds 5,000, government data showed late on Tuesday, as health officials warn that response efforts are failing to contain the deadly disease.

Congo's 17th Ebola epidemic turned into the biggest in the country's history ⁠in terms of ⁠number of cases in late July and over the weekend the death toll hit 2,378, the public health institute said, surpassing the previous worst outbreak ⁠in 2018-2020.

The institute has so far logged 5,021 cases, according to its latest situation report, making it the second-worst outbreak globally, behind only the 2014 to 2016 epidemic in West Africa in both infections and deaths.

The ongoing outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, ⁠which ⁠has no approved vaccines or treatments.

It has gained momentum since it was declared on May 15, as weak health infrastructure, community resistance, instability and protests by response workers hinder efforts to identify and respond to cases.


Mystery Shrouds Leadership of Iran’s Intelligence Agencies

Questions mount over the identity of Iran’s deputy intelligence minister months after Esmail Khatib’s death (Iranian Presidency)
Questions mount over the identity of Iran’s deputy intelligence minister months after Esmail Khatib’s death (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Mystery Shrouds Leadership of Iran’s Intelligence Agencies

Questions mount over the identity of Iran’s deputy intelligence minister months after Esmail Khatib’s death (Iranian Presidency)
Questions mount over the identity of Iran’s deputy intelligence minister months after Esmail Khatib’s death (Iranian Presidency)

Six months into Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei’s rule, Iran has reshuffled its military and security leadership after a war that killed two cabinet ministers and a string of senior Revolutionary Guards commanders.

Yet two of the country’s most sensitive posts remain shrouded in secrecy: who is running the Intelligence Ministry, and who now commands the Guards’ powerful intelligence arm.

Defense Minister Aziz Nasirzadeh was killed on Feb. 28 in the opening strikes targeting the leadership, including the office of former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei in Tehran’s heavily fortified Pasteur district.

On March 2, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian appointed Majid Ben Reza as deputy defense minister. He is expected to be formally nominated to parliament to take over the ministry.

Pezeshkian announced the death of Intelligence Minister Esmail Khatib on March 18. Since then, Iranian authorities have not disclosed who is serving as acting minister.

The government-affiliated news outlet reported last week that the deputy intelligence minister had sent separate congratulatory messages to Supreme National Security Council Secretary Mohsen Rezaei and newly appointed military commanders, pledging the ministry’s cooperation with the new leadership on priorities set by the supreme leader for the armed forces.

Deadline to name two ministers

Pezeshkian is under pressure from close reformist allies over the delay in naming a new intelligence minister, one of five cabinet posts that require the supreme leader’s approval.

In practice, the intelligence minister is usually chosen with the supreme leader’s direct involvement.

The minister also sits on the 12-member Supreme National Security Council, giving the officeholder a direct role in Iran’s main security decision-making body.

Abbas Goudarzi, a lawmaker and spokesman for parliament’s presiding board, said this week that Mojtaba Khamenei had given the government a deadline to submit nominees for the intelligence and defense ministries.

“Under the authorization obtained from the supreme leader, the government has one and a half months from Aug. 20 to submit its proposed ministers for intelligence and defense to the Iranian parliament,” Goudarzi said.

But naming a new intelligence minister may first require a change in the law.

Current legislation requires the minister to have attained the religious rank of ijtihad, a senior scholarly qualification that sharply narrows the pool of candidates to clerics who meet the requirement.

“The idea was raised that ijtihad should not be a requirement for the intelligence minister,” Goudarzi said. “Since the current law conflicts with this proposal, the law must be amended. It was therefore decided that the government would submit a bill to parliament on the matter.”

Legacy of security breaches

Khatib served as intelligence minister under former President Ebrahim Raisi and kept the job when Pezeshkian formed his government two years ago, despite mounting criticism of the security services over a series of breaches attributed to Israel’s Mossad.

Those criticisms intensified after Israeli intelligence reached military commanders and officials involved in the nuclear program who were killed during the war.

The next minister will inherit an agency battered by a string of security breaches and assassinations targeting military, nuclear and security officials, as well as the legacy left by successive ministers who ran the institution.

Fresh questions over the security surrounding senior intelligence officials were raised by Khatib’s son.

In an interview published by the state-run IRNA news agency on Aug. 10, he said his father had faced four assassination attempts before he was killed, including two during the June 2025 war.

He said Khatib was later killed at the home of his second wife despite tight security surrounding his movements.

Cultural Heritage Minister Reza Salehi Amiri is among the names being considered for the intelligence portfolio.

Salehi Amiri, previously known as Reza Fallah, worked at the Intelligence Ministry during the 1980s and 1990s and was one of the agency’s leading interrogators before gradually moving into political and government posts.

He later held positions at strategic research centers affiliated with the Iranian presidency and the Expediency Council.

Under President Hassan Rouhani, he served for a year as deputy minister of sports and youth before becoming a presidential adviser and head of the National Library and Archives.

He also served for a year as culture minister at the start of Rouhani’s second term before returning to government after Pezeshkian became president.

Vacuum in Revolutionary Guards intelligence

The picture is even murkier inside the Revolutionary Guards’ intelligence organization and its protection unit after several senior commanders were killed in the war.

On April 6, the Revolutionary Guards confirmed that Brigadier General Majid Khademi, head of its intelligence organization, had been killed in an Israeli-US attack, hours after Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz first announced his death.

Khademi had previously headed the Guards’ protection organization before becoming intelligence chief on June 19, 2025, succeeding Mohammad Kazemi.

Before that, he oversaw the unit responsible for protecting political figures and sensitive sites, including key state institutions and nuclear facilities.

Kazemi was killed in Israeli strikes on June 15, 2025, three days after dozens of Revolutionary Guards commanders were killed in the opening strikes of the 12-day war.

That attack also killed Mohammad Reza Nasir Bagban, known by the alias Mohsen Bagheri, head of the Quds Force intelligence unit, and Brigadier General Hassan Mohaghegh, one of the Guards’ most prominent intelligence commanders and a figure with close ties to current Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei.

Tehran has yet to disclose who now leads the Revolutionary Guards’ intelligence organization, its deputy command, or the Quds Force intelligence unit.

Hossein Taeb, however, who spent 13 years at the helm of Guards intelligence, has returned to a senior security role as commander of the Basij, tasked with expanding the “popular intelligence network.”


Colombia Estimates Quake Damage at $9.6 Billion

A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Colombia Estimates Quake Damage at $9.6 Billion

A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)

The powerful earthquake that killed hundreds of people in western Colombia caused $9.57 billion in economic losses, President Abelardo de la Espriella said on Tuesday, issuing a preliminary estimate.

The 7.4-magnitude tremor, which struck on August 10, was the most powerful in Colombia in nearly half a century.

The death toll stands at 289, with a further 4,187 injured and 143 missing.

Nearly 27,000 homes were destroyed, leaving many people sleeping in the streets or in public parks.

Dozens of hospitals and schools also collapsed or were damaged.

"Imagine the scale of the disaster," said De la Espriella, a political novice who took office just three days before the disaster.

The crisis has been a baptism of fire for De la Espriella, a right-wing lawyer and business magnate who was elected on a promise to flush out the drug-trafficking rebels that control part of Colombia.

He said Tuesday he had tasked his housing minister with launching a "miracle" reconstruction plan, with the backing of the private sector.

But the minister, Jaime Andres Beltran, has been under fire for taking a Caribbean holiday in the immediate aftermath of the quake.